ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Re: Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#161 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
If you are talking about replacing the coach of the team then how is "then who" a strawman argument? It's literally THE topic.

I think Kerr is a great coach, the problem is the coaches around him. He needs coaches around him that has a strong voice, who can work well with him, who has strong ideas of his own, who can manage the players, who is defensive minded. He has made some good choices and some bad choices for his assistants. The question to me isn't then who is going to replace Kerr, but rather who is Kerr going to hire to fill his staff? Mike Brown just lost his top assistant to the Nets so he's going to be pulling from the same pool too.

My guess is he hires someone like Monty Williams or Mike Budenholzer if they don't get a job elsewhere and want to coach this year.

For me the ideal would be Chris Quinn, and Kerr could realistically tell him that he would be setting him up to replace Kerr in 2 years.

Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point

That talking about who would coach is a strawman? It's literally not in a discussion about who should be coaching the team.

If your point is that we are far more clueless as outsiders ... that's what all sports talk among fans is, and you chose to come here.

That acting like anyone knows anything about other coaches actual styles is pointless, actually. For example, you created a scenario, answered it, and that was your reasoning. But it’s a scenario you created.. and why those 3 names, other than name recognition? What about the many deserving candidates who most have never heard of?

It’s all complete fanfic, so if someone’s counter to the idea that a HC change is needed is “I want names”.. why?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#162 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
If you are talking about replacing the coach of the team then how is "then who" a strawman argument? It's literally THE topic.

I think Kerr is a great coach, the problem is the coaches around him. He needs coaches around him that has a strong voice, who can work well with him, who has strong ideas of his own, who can manage the players, who is defensive minded. He has made some good choices and some bad choices for his assistants. The question to me isn't then who is going to replace Kerr, but rather who is Kerr going to hire to fill his staff? Mike Brown just lost his top assistant to the Nets so he's going to be pulling from the same pool too.

My guess is he hires someone like Monty Williams or Mike Budenholzer if they don't get a job elsewhere and want to coach this year.

For me the ideal would be Chris Quinn, and Kerr could realistically tell him that he would be setting him up to replace Kerr in 2 years.

That talking about who would coach is a strawman? It's literally not in a discussion about who should be coaching the team.

If your point is that we are far more clueless as outsiders ... that's what all sports talk among fans is, and you chose to come here.

You don't need to be an expert to have a good rationale or criteria for the next coach

A HOF coach increased the amount of wins Despite losing key players Green, Paul and GP2 for long stretches and down shooting years from Wiggins and Thompson.

Realistically they are rarely fired by good organizations.

https://www.yardbarker.com/general_sports/articles/head_coaches_and_managers_who_were_dismissed_soon_after_winning_a_championship/s1__33856985
DB23
Junior
And1: 394

Post#163 » by DB23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 am

DevinVassell wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:once again, tapping the sign on one of the most intellectually lazy, bad faith arguments there is:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2351302#p110915668

Went to and'1 that and realized I already had. I think a fresh set of unbiased/unattached eyes is likely what we need more than anything. At minimum, we need new assistant coaches that will come in with new ideas (if Kerr will listen).

I just shake my head at stuff like this... it's just unreal. Kerr is not in contact with reality.
Read on Twitter

Fck me... your right, just unreal!

I'm not surprised though. Mountains of evidence and large sample size for this lunacy now.

I'll be making a decision very early next season. (maybe 5 games) if Klay is back on another inflated deal, if Kerr continues to give him unwarranted minutes over more deserving players, if we continue with undersized guard heavy rotations, refusing to adjust rotation in-game depending on the situation (no-flo), massive double standards for infallible aging vets etc etc... I'll be checking out as a long-time fan until he and his 32M are gone from this team. Don't have the time or patience to have my rational sensibilities offended by this apparent top fiver!

This is pretty much where I’m at too.

In this thread you have people way overrating moody and how he has played all year. He hasn’t routinely played well when on the floor.

And, ignore that even if you did replace Kerr you are 99% likely to get a coach you end up hating more. People say in this thread that the point is irrelevant but i disagree.

Changes obviously need to be made and Kerr needs to no doubt change his approach. I’m happy to give him next year to figure it out. But yes if we return and klay is still a major piece in the rotation then I’m out too.

The management and ownership are the real problem. Overrating their talent, giving out bad contracts and blowing some big draft picks. The roster construction needs a shakeup but typically I would think it’s impossible to succeed as a team if good decisions and hard decisions are not made on the roster.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#164 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:58 am

Impuniti wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
Impuniti wrote:My point is obvious. Talking about Kerr as overall the entire package of 9 years is objectively stupid. We're ranking on what he does now, otherwise Dunn might as well start recruiting Magic, Bird and MJ. Kerr has done a bad job and there's been examples throughout the entire season listed, which people like you don't actually address.

But hey, live in delusional world. Highest wage bill in the league with one of the best players of all times to finish 10th in the league and lose to a team that was missing 2 key players with injury in a play in game.

Facts over opinion
Warriors increased their wins

Despite key players Green, CP3 and GP2 missing a quarter of the season.

Wiggins and Klay shooting Warrior lows.

Which part of that is an opinion? :lol:

The Warriors finished 10th with the highest wage bill in the league and one of the best players of all time, losing to a team missing 2 key players. Every team has injuries and problems, but go ahead and rely on that after another embarrassing end to the season.

Kerr doing a bad job is an opinion objectively they increased wins.

Saying it is objectively stupid to look at Kerrs entire resume is an opinion.

Etc Etc
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#165 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 am

Warriors netrtg over Kerr tenure.

When you look at profiles there are not many that predate Mark Jackson years so IMO lack perspective.

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/275359/Ten-Year-NBA-Net-Rating-Rankings-Infographics-For-All-30-Teams
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#166 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

That acting like anyone knows anything about other coaches actual styles is pointless, actually. For example, you created a scenario, answered it, and that was your reasoning. But it’s a scenario you created.. and why those 3 names, other than name recognition? What about the many deserving candidates who most have never heard of?

It’s all complete fanfic, so if someone’s counter to the idea that a HC change is needed is “I want names”.. why?

Yes, sports fans talking sports online is just mental masturbation. Which part is a strawman?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#167 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:57 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Yes, sports fans talking sports online is just mental masturbation. Which part is a strawman?

So it kinda sounds like you're saying that fabricating a situation and responding to that is the same as responding to a situation that is actually defined.. and real

If not, I dont even know what you're saying because I just explained why its a strawman. Saying that Kerr needs to be replaced is a take based on reality - on Kerr's ability to continue to coach the team at an acceptable level. Saying that their needs to be a named replacement - something that's going to be entirely based on fanfic - is irrelevant and a deflection. A strawman. Like I could just pick any random AC on some team and arbitrarily say they can get the most out of Steph/Dray while also developing youth. I wont have any proof, itll just be a name I latched on to. Isn't that what you did? Or I'll ask again - what makes Budenholzer a fit? Why Chris Quinn and not, say, Phil Pressey? Or David Bliss? What kind of discussion can we have about those people? Would it be in any way similar to one we could have about Kerr and how he coaches?

If you cant see the difference, arent being honest with yourself.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#168 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:00 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

So it kinda sounds like you're saying that fabricating a situation and responding to that is the same as responding to a situation that is actually defined.. and real

If not, I dont even know what you're saying because I just explained why its a strawman. Saying that Kerr needs to be replaced is a take based on reality - on Kerr's ability to continue to coach the team at an acceptable level. Saying that their needs to be a named replacement - something that's going to be entirely based on fanfic - is irrelevant and a deflection. A strawman. Like I could just pick any random AC on some team and arbitrarily say they can get the most out of Steph/Dray while also developing youth. I wont have any proof, itll just be a name I latched on to. Isn't that what you did? Or I'll ask again - what makes Budenholzer a fit? Why Chris Quinn and not, say, Phil Pressey? Or David Bliss? What kind of discussion can we have about those people? Would it be in any way similar to one we could have about Kerr and how he coaches?

Okay, so you don't think talking about replacing a coach should include talking about the coaches replacement. Not because the coach doesn't need to be replaced but because we, as sports fans, can't choose a replacement coach. That's absurd and not a strawman, but okay.

My car has a problem, I don't know what new part I need, but I can't discuss which new part I need to replace to fix my car because replacing a broken part with a new part is a strawman BECAUSE I don't know what new part is THE right part.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,405

Post#169 » by svart » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

i already semi-checked-out for this season, did not see any full game. since December i think.

if next year is the same, i really don't have the patience to watch this team anymore.

it's just my opinion, everyone does as they seem fit, but i don't remember a season more frustrating than this one since i follow this team.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#170 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:once again, tapping the sign on one of the most intellectually lazy, bad faith arguments there is:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2351302#p110915668

Went to and'1 that and realized I already had. I think a fresh set of unbiased/unattached eyes is likely what we need more than anything. At minimum, we need new assistant coaches that will come in with new ideas (if Kerr will listen).

I just shake my head at stuff like this... it's just unreal. Kerr is not in contact with reality.
Read on Twitter

Fck me... your right, just unreal!

I'm not surprised though. Mountains of evidence and large sample size for this lunacy now.

I'll be making a decision very early next season. (maybe 5 games) if Klay is back on another inflated deal, if Kerr continues to give him unwarranted minutes over more deserving players, if we continue with undersized guard heavy rotations, refusing to adjust rotation in-game depending on the situation (no-flo), massive double standards for infallible aging vets etc etc... I'll be checking out as a long-time fan until he and his 32M are gone from this team. Don't have the time or patience to have my rational sensibilities offended by this apparent top fiver!

If Klay is on this team next year and still getting 30 mpg, I'll start missing games next year without a doubt. I don't want to watch insanity on a basketball court. It was already a painful watch this year. Next year will just be worse.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#171 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

Im already there, I skim through most of the game on DVR and only watch the parts with Podz and TJD.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#172 » by tarantism » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

svart wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

i already semi-checked-out for this season, did not see any full game. since December i think.

if next year is the same, i really don't have the patience to watch this team anymore.

it's just my opinion, everyone does as they seem fit, but i don't remember a season more frustrating than this one since i follow this team.
I more or less checked out when baseball started. This team just felt listless for months and even though they started playing better they were obviously just a middling team. I still watched most of the games but the playoff loss didn't feel like a let down since I'd already lost hope.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#173 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Okay, so you don't think talking about replacing a coach should include talking about the coaches replacement. Not because the coach doesn't need to be replaced but because we, as sports fans, can't choose a replacement coach. That's absurd and not a strawman, but okay.

My car has a problem, I don't know what new part I need, but I can't discuss which new part I need to replace to fix my car because replacing a broken part with a new part is a strawman BECAUSE I don't know what new part is THE right part.

I don’t think you understand what a strawman is. Not putting more effort into this either, if you prefer lying to yourself, go right ahead. But yeah just like a car :banghead: Not something subjective, not something dynamic, and definitely not something with unknown variables.. but like replacing a part on a car
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,405

Post#174 » by svart » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm

tarantism wrote:
svart wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I more or less checked out when baseball started. This team just felt listless for months and even though they started playing better they were obviously just a middling team. I still watched most of the games but the playoff loss didn't feel like a let down since I'd already lost hope.

For me it wasn't about the team being bad or anything. i watched every game in full in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons and had more fun than this year.

what bothered me was the "culture" or to be precise the lack of it. Staying behind Draymond at any cost, kerr's masterclass in hypocrisy, double standards and the piss he took on meritocracy, Dray's antics, the lack of reaction of the FO, klay's egotistical behavior. That kind of stuff. I still think that if kerr coached and played the guys who deserved it for the whole season we would have made the play-offs. even with dray's suspensions and wiggs slow start i think we would have done it. Not sure how far we would have gotten, but at least we would have been there.

and yeah, fukc the midget ball and the 3-4 guards line-ups.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#175 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 pm

svart wrote:
tarantism wrote:
svart wrote:

For me it wasn't about the team being bad or anything. i watched every game in full in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons and had more fun than this year.

what bothered me was the "culture" or to be precise the lack of it. Staying behind Draymond at any cost, kerr's masterclass in hypocrisy, double standards and the piss he took on meritocracy, Dray's antics, the lack of reaction of the FO, klay's egotistical behavior. That kind of stuff. I still think that if kerr coached and played the guys who deserved it for the whole season we would have made the play-offs. even with dray's suspensions and wiggs slow start i think we would have done it. Not sure how far we would have gotten, but at least we would have been there.

and yeah, fukc the midget ball and the 3-4 guards line-ups.

I stopped watching when JK got injured. I did watch for some time, but even when they were winning, they weren’t really winning. At that time I knew Kerr would prioritize Klay over the season and that his 3 point hot streak wouldn’t hold in the playoffs. It was inevitable. I really wish they didn’t extend Kerr.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#176 » by Sandy333 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 am

When Kerr got Thompson into the starting lineup up, I knew Kerr back to his old ways. The Problem who will score if Steph is shut down could never be solved by him. JK injury was untimely, he could never get back in rhythm. Unfortunately for Kerr, Moody was the best option for scoring that helped warriors stay close and he grudgingly went to it only when all else failed.
Wiggins was a black hole on offense. Turnvover after turnover, that too very early into the shot clock. It is all on Kerr.
But Kerr is at best at ' I'll scratch your back , you scratch mine' ; supporting draymond, steph and thompson to the detriment of the team. But hey, it got him a fat new contract. Had everyone fooled with a ten game stretch of game wins.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#177 » by sonnyhill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 am

Sandy333 wrote:When Kerr got Thompson into the starting lineup up, I knew Kerr back to his old ways. The Problem who will score if Steph is shut down could never be solved by him. JK injury was untimely, he could never get back in rhythm. Unfortunately for Kerr, Moody was the best option for scoring that helped warriors stay close.
Wiggins was a black hole on offense. Turnvover after turnover, that too very early into the shot clock. It is all om Kerr.
But Kerr is at best at ' I'll scratch your back , you scratch mine' ; supporting draymond, steph and thompson.

Watching Kerr's biased M.O. and the way he operates, we now get a better understanding of why MJ gave Kerr the much-deserved ass-whipping!
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#178 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 am

Sandy333 wrote:When Kerr got Thompson into the starting lineup up, I knew Kerr back to his old ways. The Problem who will score if Steph is shut down could never be solved by him. JK injury was untimely, he could never get back in rhythm. Unfortunately for Kerr, Moody was the best option for scoring that helped warriors stay close and he grudgingly went to it only when all else failed.
Wiggins was a black hole on offense. Turnvover after turnover, that too very early into the shot clock. It is all on Kerr.
But Kerr is at best at ' I'll scratch your back , you scratch mine' ; supporting draymond, steph and thompson to the detriment of the team. But hey, it got him a fat new contract. Had everyone fooled with a ten game stretch of game wins.

I don’t remember because I didn’t watch the games that closely when he started Klay once more, but I think the JK Wiggs Dray trio never started again after Klay was reinstated in the starting lineup. That doesn’t make sense because they were building chemistry and continuity together. Defensively they fit together and JK could cause gravity inside while Curry provides gravity outside, which made huge openings for the others to exploit. They only needed to add Moody to spread the floor and play defense and they could at least hang with anyone while the bench could come in and step on the gas pedal. I believe JK didn’t play so well without being paired with Curry and Wiggs the same without being paired with JK. Kerr broke down what was working to install a paper tiger with Klay and a makeshift line up that played only ten games together against scrub teams in the end.

I knew the fake success of Klay would doom this team, because Kerr was itching to go back to small ball and threes. But the league has changed with great perimeter defenders. When both your stars are perimeter players, playoff defenses will camp outside and kill your offense. Klay can’t make anyone pay inside, so the team really becomes one dimensional and easier to guard. All I have to say is phuck Kerr for wasting a year, phuck Lacob for extending this mess, Curry’s cool, and I’m out.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 942

Post#179 » by dk1115 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am

I like this extension alot too. Let's be honest. This team just looks old. I love the core to death, but they need an infusion of new blood. This is actually the time they need for a 'Prime KD'

Wiseman didn't work out (and to this day I would still have rather picked him than LaMelo Ball), Jordan Poole just turned out to be contract year Jordan Poole, and while Kuminga is showing really good promise, he has to leap to all-star level soon for the Warriors to even sniff contention.

While I would definitely advise team representatives to refrain from talking about the team going on a graceful decline, I honestly think that the next 3 years will be a frustrating, yet rewarding experience watching the Warriors. I, along with many of you, have been a Warrior fan for a very long time. I personally saw them go from 20-win years to now.

Thank you Steve, thank you Steph, Draymond, Klay. You guys can seriously suck **** for the next three years, and I'll still watch.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,282

Post#180 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:22 am

dk1115 wrote:I like this extension alot too. Let's be honest. This team just looks old. I love the core to death, but they need an infusion of new blood. This is actually the time they need for a 'Prime KD'

Wiseman didn't work out (and to this day I would still have rather picked him than LaMelo Ball), Jordan Poole just turned out to be contract year Jordan Poole, and while Kuminga is showing really good promise, he has to leap to all-star level soon for the Warriors to even sniff contention.

While I would definitely advise team representatives to refrain from talking about the team going on a graceful decline, I honestly think that the next 3 years will be a frustrating, yet rewarding experience watching the Warriors. I, along with many of you, have been a Warrior fan for a very long time. I personally saw them go from 20-win years to now.

Thank you Steve, thank you Steph, Draymond, Klay. You guys can seriously suck **** for the next three years, and I'll still watch.

Yeah I was a fan of the team long before Curry and Kerr.

They delivered the first titles in generations.

But they've disappointed the last two seasons, after almost a decade of excellence.

So now the jackals, who think they know the game better than the professionals, are out with their daggers, blaming Kerr.

If you go around just about ANY forum on Real GM, EVERY fanbase is complaining about rotations by the coach.

Backseat drivers think they can do better. :noway:

Recently, it came out that Robert Kraft sabotaged Bellichek's chances to get the Falcons head coaching job. You know, he brought the only 6 championships that the Franchise has ever won. But the last couple of seasons, the Pats haven't lived up to their lofty standard.

So **** Bellichek, WTF has he done for the franchise lately?

Same thing happening with Kerr, once the team drops out of title contention, the jackals are baying.

Fortunately most fans aren't such snakes, even on RGM. Just a few loudmouths claiming to be Warriors fans want to take their shots when the team is down.

The next few coaches are unlikely to win as much as Kerr. When the team goes through some fallow seasons, the haters are going to look even stupider.

Return to Golden State Warriors