ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,278

Re: Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#241 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:44 am

cdubbz wrote:Frank Vogel id like to see coach this team

Seriously?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,841

Post#242 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:29 am

wco81 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Frank Vogel id like to see coach this team

Seriously?

seriously.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 221

Post#243 » by sonnyhill » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
michaelm wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Ok but you see how that can only work in one direction? If I name a random AC from some winning team, where do we go from there?

I agree with you I believe (EDIT having not read your last post but two which I now have done) as I often do. However great Kerr has been, and he was great for most of a decade, the team finished 10th in the West this season, and some of his coaching decisions and approaches this year were bewildering, and have not been and can’t imo be defended. And no coach is infallible/not open to questioning by any fan because of professional expertise greater than that possessed by fans right up until he is sacked as many if not most eventually are. There is no need for fans to have watched practice to know that the 3 old slow guard line-up doesn’t work when the crunch comes, or that Klay Thompson post his injuries gets tired late in games and becomes less effective, particularly defensively.

People can of course have an opinion on how other coaches might go, but there are many factors which come into appointing a new coach which are not really knowable to fans, and I with you (I think) don’t believe anyone has to come up with a definite name to replace Kerr to have an opinion that he is no longer cutting it. Appointing Kerr to replace MJ which turned out to be a brilliant move was both not entirely obvious and definitely not evidence based at the time.

10000%

Like we can have a discussion about why or why not we want Kerr to be replaced that is based in reality. We cannot have one about the great majority of coaching candidates. So if people ask for a name.. unless me saying "not Doc Rivers" is an acceptable answer, we're just getting into story time, or fan-fic, or whatever people want to call it, but ultimately its a story that was made up by someone.. and that has no place in that kind of discussion

If we're just **** around and throwing out a few names for **** and giggles, thats a whole different thing

Kerr signing the 2-year extension pretty much ensures that he will be coaching the team for the next 2 seasons. The whole discussion about who to replace Kerr with is not productive nor based on reality.

Do we, as a fanbase, believe that Kerr has "opportunities for personal growth?" Yes, and so does the front office, too, in the way that it constructs the roster.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#244 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 am

sonnyhill wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
michaelm wrote:I agree with you I believe (EDIT having not read your last post but two which I now have done) as I often do. However great Kerr has been, and he was great for most of a decade, the team finished 10th in the West this season, and some of his coaching decisions and approaches this year were bewildering, and have not been and can’t imo be defended. And no coach is infallible/not open to questioning by any fan because of professional expertise greater than that possessed by fans right up until he is sacked as many if not most eventually are. There is no need for fans to have watched practice to know that the 3 old slow guard line-up doesn’t work when the crunch comes, or that Klay Thompson post his injuries gets tired late in games and becomes less effective, particularly defensively.

People can of course have an opinion on how other coaches might go, but there are many factors which come into appointing a new coach which are not really knowable to fans, and I with you (I think) don’t believe anyone has to come up with a definite name to replace Kerr to have an opinion that he is no longer cutting it. Appointing Kerr to replace MJ which turned out to be a brilliant move was both not entirely obvious and definitely not evidence based at the time.

10000%

Like we can have a discussion about why or why not we want Kerr to be replaced that is based in reality. We cannot have one about the great majority of coaching candidates. So if people ask for a name.. unless me saying "not Doc Rivers" is an acceptable answer, we're just getting into story time, or fan-fic, or whatever people want to call it, but ultimately its a story that was made up by someone.. and that has no place in that kind of discussion

If we're just **** around and throwing out a few names for **** and giggles, thats a whole different thing

Kerr signing the 2-year extension pretty much ensures that he will be coaching the team for the next 2 seasons. The whole discussion about who to replace Kerr with is not productive nor based on reality.

Do we, as a fanbase, believe that Kerr has "opportunities for personal growth?" Yes, and so does the front office, too, in the way that it constructs the roster.

Love it when someone who has no idea how the conversation has progressed drops in with.. this.

Keep speaking for the fanbase though, a true voice for the people. Far as the eye can see, fans are thrilled with Kerr. Great stuff
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#245 » by michaelm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 am

sonnyhill wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
michaelm wrote:I agree with you I believe (EDIT having not read your last post but two which I now have done) as I often do. However great Kerr has been, and he was great for most of a decade, the team finished 10th in the West this season, and some of his coaching decisions and approaches this year were bewildering, and have not been and can’t imo be defended. And no coach is infallible/not open to questioning by any fan because of professional expertise greater than that possessed by fans right up until he is sacked as many if not most eventually are. There is no need for fans to have watched practice to know that the 3 old slow guard line-up doesn’t work when the crunch comes, or that Klay Thompson post his injuries gets tired late in games and becomes less effective, particularly defensively.

10000%

Kerr signing the 2-year extension pretty much ensures that he will be coaching the team for the next 2 seasons.The whole discussion about who to replace Kerr with is not productive nor based on reality.

Yes chances are he will coach for the next 2 years having signed to do so, the question is whether he should be the coach. The front office has also been known to make bad decisions as well as good ones.

He was a great coach for the dynastic run, and the 4th title was probably a bonus title and significantly down to his coaching.

How do you see him growing going forward ?. He seems overly invested in the core trio who great as they were will not get younger and simply can’t play as they did 5 or 6 years ago, despite which he played them as if they could, and he has not handled young players well in general imo. I think he milked the dynasty for as much as could be done, but you can’t play small ball, which worked so well for 8 years, with guys in their mid 30s, who will be run off the court rather than running other teams off the court as they did in their pomp.

I might actually be OK personally with Kerr and the great players fading slowly into the sunset together, but that’s not the same as considering Kerr to have coached well this season or likely to be good coaching a diminished version of GSW with a necessity for younger players to come to the fore going forward.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#246 » by Impuniti » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 am

sonnyhill wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

10000%

Would love to hear what Kerr's personal growth was after the 22-23 season was over. What did he learn, what did he improve that he put into practice this season as he finished 10th in the league, then losing in a playin game to a team missing two main players from their team? A team that easily beat the Warriors and then easily lost to a Pels team missing their best player?

Would love to see a list of his improvements after the failure of the 22-23 and how he applied it this season, and with what data you have to support it.

Return to Golden State Warriors