ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#1 » by Coxy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:53 am

Steve has been the engine of the Steph/Klay/Dray led Bugatti Veyron, after taking over from Mark Jackson's Ford Bronco version of the team for a decade now. For me, this is awesome news. For some here though, this will likely mean the end times are near and we all need to begin the process of creating underground survival bunkers in our back yards. I'm hoping this thread brings the wildly polarising and emotional takes that I have read for years now about Steve, it deserves nothing less.

This takes Kerr towards the end of Steph's career, which aligns.

If you hate this extention, and are willing to post, please come with an alternative to Coach Kerr. If you come with "Coach Oprah Winfrey would be better", I'm fine with that, but coming with nothing as an alternative to Kerr will bring you nothing but strong language that ultimately won't hurt your feelings but will express a large distain for your face.

Lets discuss.

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#2 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:01 am

10/10 for thread title. Would read again.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#3 » by michaelm » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:06 am

Coxy wrote:Steve has been the engine of the Steph/Klay/Dray led Bugatti Veyron, after taking over from Mark Jackson's Ford Bronco version of the team for a decade now. For me, this is awesome news. For some here though, this will likely mean the end times are near and we all need to begin the process of creating underground survival bunkers in our back yards. I'm hoping this thread brings the wildly polarising and emotional takes that I have read for years now about Steve, it deserves nothing less.

This takes Kerr towards the end of Steph's career, which aligns.

If you hate this extention, and are willing to post, please come with an alternative to Coach Kerr. If you come with "Coach Oprah Winfrey would be better", I'm fine with that, but coming with nothing as an alternative to Kerr will bring you nothing but strong language that ultimately won't hurt your feelings but will express a large distain for your face.

Lets discuss.

They are already at other franchises, including the one that won the most recent title.

I suspect this is what Steph Curry wants.

If the team comes around as it appears to be doing maybe no one else would have been better even this year, although only being in a position to qualify for the play-in at this stage of the season was hopefully not the plan from the start. They are currently on a 10-2 run, which could easily have been 12-0, with only 2 wins which involved much in the way of luck, and in both those games they had substantial leads at one time, and he does seem to be trying to address problems there have been with the closing unit.

I do recall fairly trenchant criticism in 2022 again mainly in regard to his rotations, which oddly rather evaporated come the play-offs that year.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#4 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:11 am

Who should have replaced Ker?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#5 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:12 am

I'm not hating his recent lineups and the team is playing well now.
If he loses in the playoffs running a midget lineup out there...I'll hate him again.

For now, let him coach the core for the next two years....I don't see a better coach out there.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#6 » by michaelm » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:16 am

ILOVEIT wrote:I'm not hating his recent lineups and the team is playing well now.
If he loses in the playoffs running a midget lineup out there...I'll hate him again.

For now, let him coach the core for the next two years....I don't see a better coach out there.

Yes, can’t disagree with you.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#7 » by Old_Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:18 am

I always ask this question of the Kerr bashers and they always dodge the question - "If not Kerr, then who?" Two years ago, the NBA named its Top 15 All Time Coaches List. Six of the guys on that list are dead. Six of them are aged 75 or older. That leaves Doc (don't even go there), Spoelstra (who'll never leave Miami) and Kerr (and his nine championship rings). Seriously, is this just an exercise in bitching and moaning for the sake of it, or is there a Plan B? And, if so, we're all ears.

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#8 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:34 am

worst strawman in sports is this coach nonsense.. "then who?"

like anyone has intimate knowledge of how another coach would operate anyways
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#9 » by DevinVassell » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:18 am

Meh. Not a fan.

I suggest Coach Quinones... has a nice ring to it, has NBA experience, would have saved near 35M and unblocks Moody.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#10 » by Old_Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:22 am

CDM_Stats wrote:worst strawman in sports is this coach nonsense.. "then who?"

like anyone has intimate knowledge of how another coach would operate anyways

If you're going to dodge the question, at least make a half ass effort at doing so. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
warriorschamps
Senior
And1: 593

Post#11 » by warriorschamps » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:14 pm

I get both sides of the argument. On the positive side Kerr has won 4 championships which speaks for itself even when taking into account all the top notch assistant coaches he had over the years.

He also help usher in this new offensive era where the Warriors were ahead of the curve for many years.

On the negative side he has struggled after other teams caught up offensively with spacing and three point shooting. Also Kerr is 100% a players coach which can be both good and bad. Many of us think it's been bad as over the last couple of years many of us don't feel he has been tough enough on Draymond & Klay. For instance over the last two years how many times has he let Klay shoot us out of games. A lot. How many times has he refused to pull Draymond when it was apparent to anyone watching Draymond lack of being an offensive threat was killing this offense? A lot. Not too mention letting Draymond behave the way he has without any sort of punishment. It just sends a bad message.

It took Draymond getting suspended for Kerr to give some of the younger guys more playing time and make some of the positive changes that he has made. That's very, very bad.

We all get Draymond & Klay have been key pieces to this team winning four championships. We all understand that. And they will be celebrated and honored by the franchise when their playing career is over. But that doesn't give you or least it shouldn't a lifetime license to be ineffective which they have been much of the last two years. The good news is both seem to be in a better place now and so is the whole team.

In short with Kerr you have to accept the good and bad I guess. Now that he lost a lot of his top assistance and the rest of the league has caught up in terms of 3 point shooting and spacing the next two and half years are huge for Kerr in terms of his legacy. Can he win another chip under these terms. If he can he will be viewed as one of the best coaches of all time. But if the team continue to struggle like they have for much of the last two years he will be remembered by most not as a great coach but as a guy who just got lucky and landed in the right place at the right time.

Do I hate the extension? No. I'm hopeful Kerr will be successful. And I think he can be. But at the same time I also have my doubts. Let's see how it play out. Also the other part of it is not just replacing Kerr but who are you going to get to replace him.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#12 » by Impuniti » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:24 pm

Kerr is a very smart guy but has created some truly insane tendencies and is playing way too much politics instead of just trying to coach. If he banned micro ball and corpse lineups on top of treating Klay like his golden egg, I can stomach everything else because every coach has their plus & minuses. But those 3 aspects are currently holding the team back from its actual potential. Oh add CP3 playing way more than he should once he's back also.

Since it's already been said on this forum, I'll use the term. The only logical reason I can see Kerr pushing hard for the micro lineup as he does is self fellating over how smart he is. It's the most idiotic lineup I have ever seen in team sports when you add the amount that he's been running with it.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#13 » by Jester_ » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:56 pm

At least 4 mentally ill geriatric boomers on this board celebrating with the nurses tonight :rock:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,276

Post#14 » by Onus » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:03 pm

According to mt coaching now is more of a collaboration. No wonder why Klay gets such a long leash. Players are the last to realize that they’re washed. I totally expect to see cp get 30 mpg when he comes back. Grrrrreat
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#15 » by a8bil » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:06 pm

What system would Curry thrive in besides Kerr's? Kerr's tenure has been defined by implementing an offense that maximizes Curry's impact on the game...and I think it's inarguable that he has been very successful at doing that. So, remove Kerr and bring in a new coach...what style of game could be implemented that would come close to utilizing Curry to the fullest extent?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,276

Post#16 » by Onus » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:15 pm

a8bil wrote:What system would Curry thrive in besides Kerr's? Kerr's tenure has been defined by implementing an offense that maximizes Curry's impact on the game...and I think it's inarguable that he has been very successful at doing that. So, remove Kerr and bring in a new coach...what style of game could be implemented that would come close to utilizing Curry to the fullest extent?

System is fine. It’s the playing time and rotations that were a mess.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#17 » by Jester_ » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:22 pm

a8bil wrote:What system would Curry thrive in besides Kerr's? Kerr's tenure has been defined by implementing an offense that maximizes Curry's impact on the game...and I think it's inarguable that he has been very successful at doing that. So, remove Kerr and bring in a new coach...what style of game could be implemented that would come close to utilizing Curry to the fullest extent?

wat

Curry averaged 23/6/7 on nearly 60% TS the second half of his rookie year under Nellie

He's excelled in every system and coach he's ever played under

He IS the system

how do some of you still not get this
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
warriorschamps
Senior
And1: 593

Post#18 » by warriorschamps » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:03 pm

Lol, dumbest post ever. Curry could thrive in just about any system including when Mark Jackson was here.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#19 » by a8bil » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:17 pm

You know...this used to be a fun board...but it has been taken over by posters with low self esteem, like Jester, warriorschamp and others who think that insulting other posters and posts somehow makes them look smarter. Newsflash to you ... it doesn't. Just makes you look like small men compensating for something. And, who really looks like the "dumbest" posters here when you didn't even understand or address my post, warriorschamps and Jester? Curry would be great in any system...that's obvious and the fact you felt a need to reiterate that only shows that your need to insult others is stronger than your ability to think. My post was about maximizing Curry's impact, which means more than how Curry shoots. It's also about using Curry in way that not only brings out the best in Curry, but also the best in his teammates...making guys like Klay have an HOF level career, resurrecting wiggins, creating fools gold out of Poole, having many think Dray is the 2nd best passing PF to Lebron... . You know, there could be some good discussions on these boards if certain posters would approach them as a discussion forum rather than a place to stroke their egos...but I guess that's too much to ask for.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,393

Post#20 » by svart » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:31 pm

a8bil wrote:You know...this used to be a fun board...but it has been taken over by posters with low self esteem, like Jester, warriorschamp and others who think that insulting other posters and posts somehow makes them look smarter. Newsflash to you ... it doesn't. Just makes you look like small men compensating for something. And, who really looks like the "dumbest" posters here when you didn't even understand or address my post, warriorschamps and Jester? Curry would be great in any system...that's obvious and the fact you felt a need to reiterate that only shows that your need to insult others is stronger than your ability to think. My post was about maximizing Curry's impact, which means more than how Curry shoots. It's also about using Curry in way that not only brings out the best in Curry, but also the best in his teammates...making guys like Klay have an HOF level career, resurrecting wiggins, creating fools gold out of Poole, having many think Dray is the 2nd best passing PF to Lebron... . You know, there could be some good discussions on these boards if certain posters would approach them as a discussion forum rather than a place to stroke their egos...but I guess that's too much to ask for.

Starts with stating here isn't fun anymore cause posters are insulting posters
Than continues by insulting posters.

Great success.

Man, if the post is dumb, people will call it dumb. And yours was, sorry to inform you.

Regarding the topic, yeah, that's probably what Steph wants.

I would have been ok to fire him, even if it meant replacing it with Atkinson. I'm sure in the summer we would have found a decent replacement. Not gonna guve any names, i wanna taste those strong words from Coxy.

But now we will just need to wait and see. In the end, what's 35 millions for lacob? He can fire him any time if steph gives his blessing. That's how i see it.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee

Return to Golden State Warriors