ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

DB23
Junior
And1: 393

Re: Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#41 » by DB23 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:33 pm

Somehow, Steve is getting underrated now.

Sure he’s made some mistakes, but I think almost all of them are rational and defensible. Much of the boards annoyance about this season really stems from Wiggins, klay and looney falling off a cliff and with dray being suspended half the time as well, he really has done a reasonable job. I would have preferred he played some of the youngsters more and earlier but we got to right place eventually and I can see how drays absence delayed that call.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#42 » by Sandy333 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:00 pm

They should have waited till team made the playoffs. A team with steph missing out is purely down to coach. Steve has atleast caused 10 lossess with his coaching. Zero player development, kuminga and Moody still cannot shoot when everyone in the league has improved so much.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,928

Post#43 » by whatisacenter » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:55 pm

this make me happy because it makes...

Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#44 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:46 pm

Coxy wrote:The fresh eyes can be assistants.

Like last year and this year?

There's nothing to sell good ACs on right now.. 'want to babysit Draymond and watch the sunset of a dynasty where you'd have almost no chance of taking over in the next 2 seasons, with no promising future beyond it?'

No more Mike Browns are walking through that door.. and probably wont be many changes to the staff unless Atkinson gets a HC job or splits town, which I'd imagine would be preferable to him
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#45 » by Jester_ » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:57 pm

whatisacenter wrote:this make me happy because it makes...

:lol:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Post#46 » by superunknown » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:30 pm

he's been coaching with his ass for almost 50 games this season. for no reason. now it seems he finally straightened the ship, but the team is 3-4 games behind the 6th spot basically because of him, so he has a long road ahead to recover.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by superunknown » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:24 am

yeah, very long road ahead. he s*** the bed again last night with the usual rotations/lineups nonsense. you can lose against DEN, but seriously, how many games he'll throw away this season?
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#48 » by Sandy333 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:16 am

Another game when opposing coach made better adjustments. Yet again, piss poor shooting from everybody but steph . only this time it was curry as well and we get blown out. Coach and players get paid top dollars, more than the rest of the league and cannot develop a shot. Owners are good for chest beating about " we are the warriors..." that all, they milked Steph and Klay long enough to claim a dynasty.
Maybe the headless chicken running that warriors do on the defence and offence takes it of the players too much by the time of 3rd and 4th quarter. Kerr is a idiot a he doesnot realise this. He owes his new contracts to Podz for the amount of efforts he is putting on defence and offence.
But a coach of play-in team getting paid top dollars just shows he has the owners by thier .... Senility is a fact, Kerr is becoming like Popovich, way past his sell by date.

If Moody and kuminga cannot shoot after 4 seasons both the coaches and these two need to get traded. Players who earn a fraction are able to develop a deadly jumpshot these days with all th AI tools avaiable.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by superunknown » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:54 am

the lack of development regarding shooting is, indeed, disconcerting. at the end of the day no one expects everyfuc**ngbody to shoot contested 3s at 40% rate, but after 4 years in the league a wing player should be able to hit open 3s at a fair percentage these days, have at least 1 spot (the corner, the top of the key) where he's able to hit them at a good rate. if not, there's clearly something wrong going on in here. and the CS should be held accountable for this.
also, what about match ups? it seems an unknown terminology for kerr & co. you have a deep roster, not with ton of star power anymore, but depth for sure, use it and mix and match depending on the opposition, play the guys depending on the match up, don't run always the same s**** over and over again regardless who you're facing. you're still 10th in the west, it doesn't matter if you won 10 of the last 12 or similar, if you're still 10th then you need to go 12/12 or 15/15 until you claw back, you threw away so many (winnable) games so now you need to win some tough ones (for instance at NY and BOS in the upcoming road trip) to make it up. period.
you've been made the highest-annually paid NBA coach in history, you have the best player of the last decade, and this is barely a play-in team?! enough with this s***. enough with being out-coached. find a way.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,393

Post#50 » by svart » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:31 pm

Sandy333 wrote: If Moody and Kuminga cannot shoot after 4 seasons both the coaches and these two need to get traded.

Yeah, I kind of noticed that Moses tends to shoot an awful percentage from the bench.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#51 » by Sandy333 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm

svart wrote:
Sandy333 wrote: If Moody and Kuminga cannot shoot after 4 seasons both the coaches and these two need to get traded.

Yeah, I kind of noticed that Moses tends to shoot an awful percentage from the bench.

Poor fellow is on such a tight leash, that as soon he is let loose on the court he probably feel he to take a shot and he might not get another chance in next couple of game.
Whatever the reason, the injury , when he is on the court he is not shooting well. The second unit badly needs his shooting.
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#52 » by Sandy333 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:51 pm

cladden wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:I'm not hating his recent lineups and the team is playing well now.
If he loses in the playoffs running a midget lineup out there...I'll hate him again.

For now, let him coach the core for the next two years....I don't see a better coach out there.

But we're winning with midget lineups. That's what's working here. Draymond is almost as generational a talent as Steph in my mind but moving him to the 5 is why the season has turned around. Shouldn't we ride that into the playoffs? Let's say we're facing the Wolves in the 1st round. I'd put more stock in trying to run Gobert off the floor than running a large dose of Loon and TJD against their size. Might just be me.
unfortunatelythere is only one player on warriors can do that , that is steph shooting lights out from deep. Like he did in the last Lakers game. He punished Davis again and agaain. Steph had struggled against Davis for a long time. Hopefully he turned the corner. He got blocked once at the rim, but was able to finish few other times. Shows me Steph is only one on the warriors who is improving his game every year. But when steph is having a off day we have no chance against the 7 footers.

Such is the incompetence of the coach and former GM.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#53 » by floppymoose » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:49 pm

Kerr fairs pretty well in this analysis:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nbadiscussion/comments/1ahpa7m/new_28_year_coach_rapm_evidence_coaches_influence/

underlying spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aCMwq4qu_m1-Tzc63CmRxQ2H9qq5vFUMpZViJanPxfw/edit#gid=0

GS-related coaches:
#10 Mike Malone
#11 Steve Kerr
#29 Rick Adelman
#39 Eric Musselman
#58 Mark Jackson
#63 Kenny Atkinson
#91 Mike Montgomery
#114 Kieth Smart
#120 Don Nelson
#131 PJ Carlimisimo
#136 Dave Cowens
#143 Garry St. Jean
#152 Brian Winters

(list is 182 coaches long)
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,016

Post#54 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:53 pm

I'm OK with the extension. Steve has had a rough 18 months but he now has Klay coming off the bench and more young guys have been playing. I never thought I'd see so many young guy minutes -- Lester & Gui getting (and him willing to part with Corey Joseph), Podz and Kuminga in the starting lineup. Obviously I'd like to see more Moody still, but he's doing a lot of the stuff we complained he wasn't doing.

I'm open to Steve being late to the party on needing to turn the next chapter, but now that he seems to have turned the page the team has been doing a lot better. It's been fun watching the Warriors again (and sure, Dray has had a lot to do with that). Steve has generally been great at the off-court stuff (minus the Poole incident, which is part of his bad 18 months) so while he's never been a great game-day coach, he usually has a great system and happy players. Interviews with guys like Wiggins, Gui talk about how much they love being here and Steve is a big part of that. Steph doesn't want to play for another coach, so I definitely have some faith there.

Hopefully we keep getting 'good' Steve, and we can look back and say yeah Steve had a rough 18 month or so, but he bounced back and we enjoyed the final years of the dynasty crew.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#55 » by watch1958 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:42 am

I had a flash of inspiration. Part of the Kerr deal (IMO) is that the team will keep the 2/48 offer to Klay on the table. Klay can play loose knowing there is a fair floor on his next contract, even with the changed role. Hopefully it will let Kerr adapt some, since he doesn't need to worry that Klay's minutes/role will affect his pay.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
DB23
Junior
And1: 393

Post#56 » by DB23 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:09 pm

To all the Kerr haters - who are some coaches you would like in his place?

To me, he’s still clearly a top 5 coach in this league. Most of the gripes about him have a point but way overrate some of our bench and youngsters and really are not being fair about the personnel issues we’ve had this year.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,273

Post#57 » by Onus » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm

It's kind of funny that Klay is coming off the bench and still getting roughly 30 mpg. I think now that he's coming off the bench it's harder for him to get way above 30 like 34. So I guess good job Steve.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#58 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:32 am

DB23 wrote:To all the Kerr haters - who are some coaches you would like in his place?

To me, he’s still clearly a top 5 coach in this league. Most of the gripes about him have a point but way overrate some of our bench and youngsters and really are not being fair about the personnel issues we’ve had this year.

He isn't anymore, and it goes to illustrate the point that rosters make the coaches reps 99% of the time.

Take that RAPM stuff.. its about as useless as something could be in terms of present evaluation. Example - I've owned my car for 10 years. It breaks down today. I don't reference how well its ran the past 10 years to evaluate how good it is today. It's not relevant

Kerr was (is?) great at managing personalities, so when you give him a boatload of talent, he can do fine with it. He sticks to a gameplan, which is great when you have the talent edge. The Warriors dont anymore. If they want to win anything going forward while Steph is here, barring some miracle offseason trade, they need to actually be creative with their solutions. Adaptive in-game. He has not shown the ability to do either. He has, however, correctly chosen solutions provided by former/current HCs like Mike Malone, Alvin Gentry, and most recently Mike Brown. But now? It looks like Kenny Atkinson and the rest just don't have that in them, or maybe Kerr isn't listening. Either way, the buck stops with Kerr and he's leaving a lot of value on the table. And the team simply cannot absorb that margin of error anymore

And FFS this replacement stuff.. when Kerr was about to be hired, most wanted SVG instead. Why? Because no one knew a damn thing about Kerr. Or SVG actually. So my suggestion is John Smith. You dont know him but he's great. If not him, then another AC on a good team. He's also great and exactly what we need. He likes defense very much
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#59 » by Old_Blue » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:43 am

DB23 wrote:To all the Kerr haters - who are some coaches you would like in his place?

Asking that question is like asking a kid throwing a temper tantrum what cookie he wants. He has no idea. He just knows he doesn't want THIS cookie at THIS moment. :crazy: Seriously, you won't get a rational answer - Since the notion of canning a coach with Kerr's bona fides and fit within an organization is an inherently irrational proposition. I believe this is why Kerr and Curry have such a strong bond - They have both made it their life's work to leave in their wake a trail of subsequently foolish looking haters and doubters. I am not betting against both getting another ring - together - with Golden State.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#60 » by michaelm » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:35 am

Old_Blue wrote:

Asking that question is like asking a kid throwing a temper tantrum what cookie he wants. He has no idea. He just knows he doesn't want THIS cookie at THIS moment. :crazy: Seriously, you won't get a rational answer - Since the notion of canning a coach with Kerr's bona fides and fit within an organization is an inherently irrational proposition. I believe this is why Kerr and Curry have such a strong bond - They have both made it their life's work to leave in their wake a trail of subsequently foolish looking haters and doubters. I am not betting against both getting another ring - together - with Golden State.

So Curry, Green and Klay are going to be better next season than they are this season ?.

If Kerr has a master plan which is not obvious which comes to fruition all power to him, and everyone who disagrees with you will be obliged to eat large amounts of crow. It is not impossible, he copped plenty of criticism in 2022 over his rotations (mainly of Curry), but not from me, and it all came together obviously.

People just can’t see how GSW can beat the likes of Denver and the Lakers with an opening and closing lineup of Klay and 2 short guards who will be over 36 years old come the play-offs. It hasn’t worked so far.

Return to Golden State Warriors