ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 170

Re: Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#21 » by DaHef » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:50 pm

If he would just embrace having a little more length in the middle I'd be okay with Kerr. Players like Hayes went for a song last off season. The recent trade deadlines and free agency periods have been frustrating. A lot has to do with the cap, for sure, but some of it is a disdain for size in the middle. Still hoping for some more size next off season.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,804

Post#22 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:52 pm

Love the signing!
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#23 » by Jester_ » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:07 pm

a8bil wrote:You know...this used to be a fun board...but it has been taken over by posters with low self esteem, like Jester, warriorschamp and others who think that insulting other posters and posts somehow makes them look smarter. Newsflash to you ... it doesn't. Just makes you look like small men compensating for something. And, who really looks like the "dumbest" posters here when you didn't even understand or address my post, warriorschamps and Jester? Curry would be great in any system...that's obvious and the fact you felt a need to reiterate that only shows that your need to insult others is stronger than your ability to think. My post was about maximizing Curry's impact, which means more than how Curry shoots. It's also about using Curry in way that not only brings out the best in Curry, but also the best in his teammates...making guys like Klay have an HOF level career, resurrecting wiggins, creating fools gold out of Poole, having many think Dray is the 2nd best passing PF to Lebron... . You know, there could be some good discussions on these boards if certain posters would approach them as a discussion forum rather than a place to stroke their egos...but I guess that's too much to ask for.

Curry made Reggie Williams and Dorell Wright look like good NBA players before Kerr came along. Klay was already starting to cook before Kerr came along. Steph upset the 3rd seed and then nearly reached the conference finals with a sophomore Klay and Mark Jackson as his coach.

Just a silly post man no need for passive aggressive whining
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#24 » by Coxy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:11 am

I think most people underestimate the value in having strong relationships at the top, and how rare that is when it comes to long term success. Kerr may not be a perfect coach, just like Jackson wasn’t, just like Aurbach wasn’t, just like Pop isn’t, but when you have an all time great, having a guy at the helm that is likeable and plays to that players max abilities is huge. Steve’s a strong CEO of our basketball team, and it goes way beyond any “Why didn’t you play Moody more!” and “These rotations suck!” chatter. No coach is perfect, big time success is rare, I love the extention.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#25 » by cladden » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:16 am

ILOVEIT wrote:I'm not hating his recent lineups and the team is playing well now.
If he loses in the playoffs running a midget lineup out there...I'll hate him again.

For now, let him coach the core for the next two years....I don't see a better coach out there.

But we're winning with midget lineups. That's what's working here. Draymond is almost as generational a talent as Steph in my mind but moving him to the 5 is why the season has turned around. Shouldn't we ride that into the playoffs? Let's say we're facing the Wolves in the 1st round. I'd put more stock in trying to run Gobert off the floor than running a large dose of Loon and TJD against their size. Might just be me.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#26 » by WarriorGM » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:24 am

cladden wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:I'm not hating his recent lineups and the team is playing well now.
If he loses in the playoffs running a midget lineup out there...I'll hate him again.

For now, let him coach the core for the next two years....I don't see a better coach out there.

But we're winning with midget lineups. That's what's working here. Draymond is almost as generational a talent as Steph in my mind but moving him to the 5 is why the season has turned around. Shouldn't we ride that into the playoffs? Let's say we're facing the Wolves in the 1st round. I'd put more stock in trying to run Gobert off the floor than running a large dose of Loon and TJD against their size. Might just be me.

Except the team is not winning with midget lineups. Whenever the team has gone to three guards the results have been bad.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#27 » by michaelm » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:37 am

cladden wrote:

Sure, Green with his length and smartness is great as a 5 except against a very few centers who have both size and athleticism on him. My concern has always been whether his body can sustain playing heavy minutes at 5, which he so far appears to be managing. AD in particular is still a problem though, but perhaps can be avoided by getting a high enough seed.

I don't think Green is the midget most people complain about but rather the 3 guard lineups Kerr used extensively last season and early this season. Kerr has now made the decision to make Klay a 6th man, so hopefully has moved away from that lineup. I still think Curry and CP3 together in the closing line up when they are tired is problematic, but happy of course if I and others are wrong and Kerr employs that lineup successfully.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#28 » by michaelm » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:48 am

Jester_ wrote:
a8bil wrote:You know...this used to be a fun board...but it has been taken over by posters with low self esteem, like Jester, warriorschamp and others who think that insulting other posters and posts somehow makes them look smarter. Newsflash to you ... it doesn't. Just makes you look like small men compensating for something. And, who really looks like the "dumbest" posters here when you didn't even understand or address my post, warriorschamps and Jester? Curry would be great in any system...that's obvious and the fact you felt a need to reiterate that only shows that your need to insult others is stronger than your ability to think. My post was about maximizing Curry's impact, which means more than how Curry shoots. It's also about using Curry in way that not only brings out the best in Curry, but also the best in his teammates...making guys like Klay have an HOF level career, resurrecting wiggins, creating fools gold out of Poole, having many think Dray is the 2nd best passing PF to Lebron... . You know, there could be some good discussions on these boards if certain posters would approach them as a discussion forum rather than a place to stroke their egos...but I guess that's too much to ask for.

Curry made Reggie Williams and Dorell Wright look like good NBA players before Kerr came along. Klay was already starting to cook before Kerr came along. Steph upset the 3rd seed and then nearly reached the conference finals with a sophomore Klay and Mark Jackson as his coach.

I believe the moderators just locked a thread over personal insults, correctly imo.

I personally consider it not unreasonable to have had a negative opinion about Kerr's coaching this year, particularly when they were languishing outside even of a play in position. not that this ever negated what he had done over nearly a decade of previous success.

Now the team seems to be coming around he should be judged on the whole season imo. He has proved people wrong previously as recently as 2 seasons ago, not that I myself was a critic then.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#29 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:08 am

Coxy wrote:I think most people underestimate the value in having strong relationships at the top, and how rare that is when it comes to long term success. Kerr may not be a perfect coach, just like Jackson wasn’t, just like Aurbach wasn’t, just like Pop isn’t, but when you have an all time great, having a guy at the helm that is likeable and plays to that players max abilities is huge. Steve’s a strong CEO of our basketball team, and it goes way beyond any “Why didn’t you play Moody more!” and “These rotations suck!” chatter. No coach is perfect, big time success is rare, I love the extention.

Thats the frustration.. he isn't. It goes way deeper than Moody. We had a great system 2 years ago and then altered it w/o reason. Slowly we're inching back to where we used to be, but why did was the step backwards necessary in the first place?

For example, someone earlier posted a top 15 coaches.. one of whom took over for a rookie HC who was fired midseason and has done *worse*. Aside from coaching legends, and I mean guys like Pop and maybe even Spo, coaches are about fit. A miniscule amount in NBA history are actually good across the board, most successful ones are good for a specific team in a specific set of circumstances. Budenholzer, for example, was a popular name. He's not employed right now. If he was as good as fans thought, wouldnt he be? Belicheck will not be coaching in the NFL next year, widely considered one of the best football HCs of all time

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes on a situation is whats needed. Kerr may recover, he's actually not been bad recently what with benching Klay and having Wiggins off-ball more. But we're in the easy stretch (we've been one legitimately healthy playoff team in this hot stretch, PHX), CP3 is coming back, and he's had to be strong armed into benching vets, either by the media/fan pressure or by the vets themselves

So if people want to be excited about this, go ahead.. but the team is on its last legs, yet doesnt seem to want to go all-in with their vets, but their HC is definitely going to lean on the vets over any kind of development. Aside from Kerr going back to the defensive scheme that actually worked, and pushing all our chips in during the offseason, we're still doing some half-cocked 2 timeline thing
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#30 » by Old_Blue » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:09 am

Two pages into this thread and not one suggestion of a name to replace Kerr. How can a discussion of replacing any coach (let alone one of Kerr's status) be taken seriously when no reasonable replacement is offered? The guy's .707 playoff winning percentage is the best in NBA history. Do people seriously think that just any old schlub could be trotted into the locker room and be expected to hold the attention of a locker room with the kind of hardware the Dubs already possess? :crazy:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#31 » by a8bil » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:26 am

michaelm wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

I believe the moderators just locked a thread over personal insults, correctly imo.

I personally consider it not unreasonable to have had a negative opinion about Kerr's coaching this year, particularly when they were languishing outside even of a play in position. not that this ever negated what he had done over nearly a decade of previous success.

Now the team seems to be coming around he should be judged on the whole season imo. He has proved people wrong previously as recently as 2 seasons ago, not that I myself was a critic then.
Nor do I think it is unreasonable to criticize Kerr. Holding a locker room together is perhaps the most difficult task of a coach in professional sports. Too much money and power in the hands of the players. could Kerr have done things differently? Used different rotations? Sure, would it produce the positive outcome everyone assumes it would? Jury's out. But it looks like a team that enjoys playing together.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#32 » by a8bil » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:31 am

Jester_ wrote:

Not really, Jester. and I stand by my words -- there's a reason the league copied Kerr -- in his system, the whole is worth more than the sum of the parts and that is never more true when Curry is part of the rotation. Yeah, Curry will always make people better around him. But making people "better" is not the same has winning 4 championships, turning Klay into a legit HOF player, etc. This is a story about degrees, and Kerr created one of the most dominant teams in NBA history. That's something to think about. That said, I know a lot of old time posters here that have just moved on because the newer crop of posters here jump into the threads with insults attacking everything said as "dumb" and pretending they know everything. It's just tiring and detracts from what could be a fun board where the enthusiasm for the team is shared rather than trying to prove who knows the most about basketball. I spoke up...a lot of others just check out and don't return.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#33 » by Old_Blue » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 am

CDM_Stats wrote:So if people want to be excited about this, go ahead.. but the team is on its last legs, yet doesnt seem to want to go all-in with their vets, but their HC is definitely going to lean on the vets over any kind of development. Aside from Kerr going back to the defensive scheme that actually worked, and pushing all our chips in during the offseason, we're still doing some half-cocked 2 timeline thing

What is this - Schrödinger's cat? Either the team is dead or it's not. You can't have it both ways. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#34 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:07 am

Free country = losers abound lol. I used "ignore" quite a bit to avoid the jerks. Recommend it.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#35 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:09 am

Does last legs = dead? Feels like if I meant the team was dead and over, woulda said that

I dont know how to simplify it further so guess we're stuck
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#36 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:10 am

a8bil wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

Not really, Jester. and I stand by my words -- there's a reason the league copied Kerr -- in his system, the whole is worth more than the sum of the parts and that is never more true when Curry is part of the rotation. Yeah, Curry will always make people better around him. But making people "better" is not the same has winning 4 championships, turning Klay into a legit HOF player, etc. This is a story about degrees, and Kerr created one of the most dominant teams in NBA history. That's something to think about. That said, I know a lot of old time posters here that have just moved on because the newer crop of posters here jump into the threads with insults attacking everything said as "dumb" and pretending they know everything. It's just tiring and detracts from what could be a fun board where the enthusiasm for the team is shared rather than trying to prove who knows the most about basketball. I spoke up...a lot of others just check out and don't return.

If there is any question about Kerr's system and unlocking Curry and the Warriors, even Draymond admitted that it was Kerr's arrival that made the Warriors offense hum and reach the next level. Most beautiful hoops I've ever seen in 2015/16.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#37 » by billinder33 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:29 am

I'm on board with 2 more years. For how the Ws play with Steph as the centerpiece, Kerr's system gets it done.

I have occasional issues with some of his decision making here and there, but when you zoom out and look at his work product over time, its pretty hard to argue the results.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#38 » by hamncheese » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:49 am

It's a two-year extension, which times to end with Steph's. And while some want to get rid of Kerr for the sake of getting the most out of Steph's remaing time, one thing that isn't brought up is how Steph would have felt if Kerr was let go or didn't extend.

While you could point to Mark Jackson's dismissal and how Steph was able to accept and see with Kerr, I don't think this would have been the same. There was a tangible dysfunction with Jackson. With Kerr, there has been bad coaching, but one thing he does well at is managing the players off the court.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#39 » by Coxy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:50 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Coxy wrote:I think most people underestimate the value in having strong relationships at the top, and how rare that is when it comes to long term success. Kerr may not be a perfect coach, just like Jackson wasn’t, just like Aurbach wasn’t, just like Pop isn’t, but when you have an all time great, having a guy at the helm that is likeable and plays to that players max abilities is huge. Steve’s a strong CEO of our basketball team, and it goes way beyond any “Why didn’t you play Moody more!” and “These rotations suck!” chatter. No coach is perfect, big time success is rare, I love the extention.

Thats the frustration.. he isn't. It goes way deeper than Moody. We had a great system 2 years ago and then altered it w/o reason. Slowly we're inching back to where we used to be, but why did was the step backwards necessary in the first place?

For example, someone earlier posted a top 15 coaches.. one of whom took over for a rookie HC who was fired midseason and has done *worse*. Aside from coaching legends, and I mean guys like Pop and maybe even Spo, coaches are about fit. A miniscule amount in NBA history are actually good across the board, most successful ones are good for a specific team in a specific set of circumstances. Budenholzer, for example, was a popular name. He's not employed right now. If he was as good as fans thought, wouldnt he be? Belicheck will not be coaching in the NFL next year, widely considered one of the best football HCs of all time

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes on a situation is whats needed. Kerr may recover, he's actually not been bad recently what with benching Klay and having Wiggins off-ball more. But we're in the easy stretch (we've been one legitimately healthy playoff team in this hot stretch, PHX), CP3 is coming back, and he's had to be strong armed into benching vets, either by the media/fan pressure or by the vets themselves

So if people want to be excited about this, go ahead.. but the team is on its last legs, yet doesnt seem to want to go all-in with their vets, but their HC is definitely going to lean on the vets over any kind of development. Aside from Kerr going back to the defensive scheme that actually worked, and pushing all our chips in during the offseason, we're still doing some half-cocked 2 timeline thing

The fresh eyes can be assistants.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#40 » by michaelm » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:05 am

Old_Blue wrote:Two pages into this thread and not one suggestion of a name to replace Kerr. How can a discussion of replacing any coach (let alone one of Kerr's status) be taken seriously when no reasonable replacement is offered? The guy's .707 playoff winning percentage is the best in NBA history. Do people seriously think that just any old schlub could be trotted into the locker room and be expected to hold the attention of a locker room with the kind of hardware the Dubs already possess? :crazy:

He of course deserves respect for his record, and few if any were calling for him to be sacked mid season. If they had continued as they were, not even in a position to make the play-in and losing late in games despite previous large leads with a 3 guard closing line up and discontent among the rookies then it would have been legitimate to consider finding another coach going forward imo. Even great coaches can stay too long and lose a team. The truism is that there are two types of coach, those who have been sacked and those who are going to be sacked.

Some of the turnaround has involved doing what he was criticised for not doing, but sure Draymond’s return on its own seems to have cured many ills, and Kerr is quite likely the best at managing Draymond, and perhaps even the only one who can. I am personally happy with the extension given the way the team has gelled now and the question can indeed be asked as you have been doing as to which coach would be better. Before their recent run it could have been asked which coach would be worse however.

Return to Golden State Warriors