Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Re: Wiggins Out for Personal Reasons The Sequel 

Post#141 » by watch1958 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:53 pm

wco81 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Saw a headline for The Athletic, couldn't read the article but apparently RJ Barrett's brother died recently after being ill for weeks.

Barrett has been trying to deal with it, not sure if he's missed games.

But he got support from players and fans.

What a contrast.
Missing his third straight game today for personal reasons.

Well US doesn't have to worry about Team Canada in the Olympics. Their players are soft and their best player isn't nearly as good without Jokic. :D
Is Kerr coaching the US team?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,254

Post#142 » by ShootersShoot » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:56 pm

wco81 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Saw a headline for The Athletic, couldn't read the article but apparently RJ Barrett's brother died recently after being ill for weeks.

Barrett has been trying to deal with it, not sure if he's missed games.

But he got support from players and fans.

What a contrast.
Missing his third straight game today for personal reasons.

Well US doesn't have to worry about Team Canada in the Olympics. Their players are soft and their best player isn't nearly as good without Jokic. :D

Just about every situation is different. With the amount of time my family has spent, including during work days and weekends recently caring for my elderly relatives, all I can say is if someone has a problem with wiggins missing games because of a family member's health, then they are just heartless.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#143 » by Jester_ » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 pm

People complaining that Wiggins wasn't here to entertain us with a meaningless game instead of with his family during a family emergency are really something else

Y'all would've been the peasants in the gladitor arenas cheering on people to get mauled by lions I swear
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#144 » by michaelm » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 pm

watch1958 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Missing his third straight game today for personal reasons.

Is Kerr coaching the US team?

He probably wouldn’t play Jokic if he was available to play for the USA. Too big.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#145 » by Old_Blue » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

Jester_ wrote:Y'all would've been the peasants in the gladitor arenas cheering on people to get mauled by lions I swear

I don't like this analogy. Those peasants might have just been into cats. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#146 » by Coxy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:27 am

Jester_ wrote:People complaining that Wiggins wasn't here to entertain us with a meaningless game instead of with his family during a family emergency are really something else

Y'all would've been the peasants in the gladitor arenas cheering on people to get mauled by lions I swear

It wouldn't have been just the peasants cheering for that.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#147 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:20 am

Read on Twitter

Looks like the lingering family problems that wiggins is dealing with might have taken a turn for the worse.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#148 » by WarriorGM » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:41 am

Lots of talk about JK, Podz, and Klay but the true bellweather of this team is the starter who is right around his athletic peak: Wiggins. Steph, Klay, and Draymond are aging out. JK still too young and inexperienced. The one who needs to step up is Wiggins but he's being treated like background wallpaper. Today Wiggins had another 8-point game. The team unsurprisingly had another loss. This team will go as Wiggins goes. Not exactly the most inspiring position to be in but there you have it in a nutshell the explanation for the team's current woes.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#149 » by vagelis » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:55 am

WarriorGM wrote:Lots of talk about JK, Podz, and Klay but the true bellweather of this team is the starter who is right around his athletic peak: Wiggins. Steph, Klay, and Draymond are aging out. JK still too young and inexperienced. The one who needs to step up is Wiggins but he's being treated like background wallpaper. Today Wiggins had another 8-point game. The team unsurprisingly had another loss. This team will go as Wiggins goes. Not exactly the most inspiring position to be in but there you have it in a nutshell the explanation for the team's current woes.

Kerr 2 days ago said that he needs to help Wiggins to be more aggressive and give him some plays in order to involve him more.
He does not give him a single play against Memphis but he scores 22 points with catch & shoot.

After 2 days Wiggins plays only 22 minutes.

This is the way to involve Wiggins more?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#150 » by wco81 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:38 pm

He was playing well, kind of regaining his shooting form and the team was on the best run of games until he went AWOL.

His shot went to **** again.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#151 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:08 pm

WarriorGM wrote:Lots of talk about JK, Podz, and Klay but the true bellweather of this team is the starter who is right around his athletic peak: Wiggins. Steph, Klay, and Draymond are aging out. JK still too young and inexperienced. The one who needs to step up is Wiggins but he's being treated like background wallpaper. Today Wiggins had another 8-point game. The team unsurprisingly had another loss. This team will go as Wiggins goes. Not exactly the most inspiring position to be in but there you have it in a nutshell the explanation for the team's current woes.

He is what he is. The reason why kerr likes him next to guys like steph, klay, and now jk is that he won't look for his shot and will swing it and defer. He'll play his role, but he can also go off when the team feeds him. He won't if he won't get fed the ball. He's a rhythm player and those guys tend to like to touch the ball.

Against the grizz, the team made a point to get him touches (not shots), amd he hit his high for the season at around 50 (which was basically his historical norm).

Against the pacers, they ran the first play for him and that was it. He was back down to 20 touches. People are penalizing him for not dropping 20 pts when he touches the ball 20 times in a game. There has to be some give here from both sides.

He's 8th in touches on this team, so he actually is a wall paper. He's basically treated as loon (who's 9th in touches). Letting players touch the ball keeps them involved, it's why the motion is so good fir most players (assuming they can play in it).

Wiggs and the team need to be better at helping each side out.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#152 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:26 am

We've had thread after thread about Klay but there is a player who is more significant to any possible future success of the team who hasn't gotten the same attention. So little attention that I've had to go back 3 pages just to see a thread about him: Wiggins.

According to plus-minus Klay wasn't the player who had the worst effect on the team, it was Andrew. I sort of understood the complaint Minnesota fans had about him but I'm not sure we really saw it for the Dubs until this year. Clearly the 2022 season showed that Wiggins could play at a high level. But the results this year showed that the wallflower side of him is still there. Wiggins had to clearly be the second best player on the team for the Dubs to be a threat and he was nowhere near it for the vast majority of the season. Was it injury? Was it family issues? Was it coaching mismanagement? If any of those was the reason for his bad play I could see reasons for keeping him. I worry though if Poole being traded is what caused him to mentally check out. If that's the case I don't know if we'll ever see championship Wiggins back again on the team.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#153 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:45 am

Really, his AWOL times during the season are significant but they really need him to work hard in the offseason.

Hit the gym hard and try to rebuild his shot.

But the problem is, the damn Olympics will prevent that.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#154 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:01 pm

If Wiggins did not start the year bad we win perhaps 5 more games and escape the play in but we still lose our first round playoff match up.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#155 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:13 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:If Wiggins did not start the year bad we win perhaps 5 more games and escape the play in but we still lose our first round playoff match up.

Absolutely. First round loss would have depended on matchups and what the team looked like. We never got a chance to see this.

Wiggins was pretty much the worst player in basketball for the first 2 months of the season. It took Kerr like 15 games to adapt and sometimes not close him out due to his consistency horrific performances. I remember the +/- early on with all the guys when they played with him was completely tanking.

Don't think I've seen a coach show the level of pathetic double standard and favoritism like Kerr has this season. One of the all timers in a team sports.

Return to Golden State Warriors