ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiggins Out for Personal Reasons The Sequel

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Re: Wiggins Out for Personal Reasons The Sequel 

Post#81 » by xdrta+ » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:47 pm

Romulus wrote:In what world can you just take a leave of absence whenever you feel like it for a family emergency -- and do it for two years in a row?

In a world where your employer gives you permission to do so. See, that wasn't so hard to figure out.

I'm fed up. Sorry.

How sad you have to go through this. Stay strong. :roll:
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#82 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:45 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Romulus wrote:In what world can you just take a leave of absence whenever you feel like it for a family emergency -- and do it for two years in a row?

In a world where your employer gives you permission to do so. See, that wasn't so hard to figure out.

And this is not that uncommon with businesses/employers that value their employees and don't treat them all as just interchangeable parts. I seriously can't imagine a world where one of my coworkers needed to tend to a family emergency and the company's response would be to just fire them the next day.

Why would they put up with Wiggins doing this? Because they can't just hang a sign in the window and get a drop in replacement for Wiggins tomorrow, and they are being decent humans. That's why.

There really are some miserable people on this forum.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#83 » by Old_Blue » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:19 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:There really are some miserable people on this forum.

It's been interesting seeing people deal with this season. Being mediocre apparently induces far more rage does being excremental. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#84 » by wco81 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:56 am

Remember when he was considering not getting the vaccine even though it meant he couldn't play?

He finally decided to comply at the last minute.

Otherwise it would have been Kyrie and him the only holdouts.

This is why throughout his career, there have been doubts whether he has the fire to be great or make the most of his gifts.

It's obvious that basketball and his teammates are not his top priorities. Yes family should be the most important but he took 1/3 the season off last year, resulting in him being ineffective in the playoffs and then ineffective for over half of this season and now he's gone AWOL again.

He'll keep doing it too. Maybe the team knows exactly the reason but as long as they keep granting him these unlimited time off, why would he stop taking time off? Clearly basketball and playing for his teammates are not important enough to him.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#85 » by wco81 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:00 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

And this is not that uncommon with businesses/employers that value their employees and don't treat them all as just interchangeable parts. I seriously can't imagine a world where one of my coworkers needed to tend to a family emergency and the company's response would be to just fire them the next day.

Why would they put up with Wiggins doing this? Because they can't just hang a sign in the window and get a drop in replacement for Wiggins tomorrow, and they are being decent humans. That's why.

Because they have to coddle these fragile egos.

Again, this is a guy who had all the talent in the world since at least high school but the main question about him was the motor, whether he had the heart or passion for the game like Curry.

They're stuck because of the salary cap and these fully-guaranteed contracts. If he told him he just feels like taking time off, what can they do?

Are they going to void his contract? Maybe, the league will agree and give them luxury tax relief. But they still won't have cap space to sign a comparably-paid player.

The Players Association will fight any attempt to void his contract, so the league isn't going to give the team any kind of optionality.

They're stuck with him, have to pay him regardless and they can't replace him until his contract is fully paid out.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,288

Post#86 » by CS707 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:42 am

I’m not really sure how FMLA works with professional sports but the organization might not even have a choice on the matter. I get both perspectives though and as a co-worker these things all have their own context. As a general rule I think people are usually supportive of their co-workers need to attend to personal situations but there are limits. As a fan I really only care how it plays in the locker room.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#87 » by xdrta+ » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:05 am

wco81 wrote:Otherwise it would have been Kyrie and him the only holdouts.

There were others. Jonathon Isaac made a big deal of not getting vaccinated. Thybulle was unable to play in two playoff games in Toronto because he wasn't vaccinated. There were some others, perhaps not as well known.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#88 » by DevinVassell » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:07 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Miserable huh? Yeah, yours is a bs response that takes the argument out of context. Bend and stretch it, reach for the sky!

Who's advocating to fire him the very next day?

Nobody.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#89 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:22 pm

The team gave him permission to leave. The team obviously was told by wiggins what the issues are. Thus isnt a kawahi or simmons situation where there was no communication between the two sides. Celebrini and kerr are still in contact with him now. I guarantee that everyone would take the same opportunity that Wiggins is given if their employer gave them the same opportunity.

He was good in the playoffs last year even coming off that 25 game lay off. He was the best player in game 5 vs the lakers and played that 4th q with a fractured rib cartilage eventhough Bron kept pounding him there. Game 6, he put on a flackjacjet and suited up when most players wouldn't. So, im sure his teammates now about wiggjns' commitment to the team.

It absolutely stinks that he's missing games, but that's what depth is there for and moody has taken that opportunity by the horns.

All year people have complained that Wiggins is costing the team this season by playing and now he's costing them by not playing.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 724

Post#90 » by Jerry Maine » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:32 pm

You're right, the silver lining is minutes for Moody, looks like he'll be ready if and when required including playoffs. Perhaps Moody becomes the starter and Wiggs moves to a bench role behind him and KJ.

It may pay dividends next year too, which frankly looks to me to be the last hurrah, with a hail Mary 2026
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#91 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:13 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:You're right, the silver lining is minutes for Moody, looks like he'll be ready if and when required including playoffs. Perhaps Moody becomes the starter and Wiggs moves to a bench role behind him and KJ.

It may pay dividends next year too, which frankly looks to me to be the last hurrah, with a hail Mary 2026

Perhaps Podz moves to the bench and Moody becomes the starter. That is my preference. Now you have a super high ceiling:

Steph
Moody
Wiggins
Kuminga
Draymond

That has the potential to be the new death lineup. Podz, CP3, Klay off the bench.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#92 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:You're right, the silver lining is minutes for Moody, looks like he'll be ready if and when required including playoffs. Perhaps Moody becomes the starter and Wiggs moves to a bench role behind him and KJ.

Perhaps Podz moves to the bench and Moody becomes the starter. That is my preference. Now you have a super high ceiling:

Steph
Moody
Wiggins
Kuminga
Draymond

That has the potential to be the new death lineup. Podz, CP3, Klay off the bench.

That starting lineup is the best that can done with what’s available. The flaw is play making is average, it will be completely different than what Kerr is used to coaching, and they are really running out of time to build chemistry. But it’s their only shot against the elite teams. They will get multiple opportunities to test it with Lakers, Mavs, and Heat games left assuming Wiggins gets back.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#93 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:37 pm

The title lineup was Curry-Klay-Wiggins-Dray-Looney

Assuming Curry/Wiggins/Dray can create the same amount as before… so Moody/JK create as much as Klay/Looney? I’d say so…

The downgrade is only in shooting. Klay's a better shooter than Moody. JK being technically better than Looney shooting-wise is negligible because defenses dont care if JK shoots wide open shots and he's hitting them at a below average efficiency. But the increase in defense/defensive versatility is *massive*
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#94 » by Impuniti » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:41 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:There really are some miserable people on this forum.

It's been interesting seeing people deal with this season. Being mediocre apparently induces far more rage does being excremental. :D

Being mediocre is totally fine. For someone to be great, you need many to be mediocre. Being mediocre when you have one of the best players of all time with the highest wage bill in the league as the coach makes mistakes that could render him the worst in the league, is not.

Is there anyone that's insane on here who seriously thinks this team has been playing at the highest potential they can this season? Anybody?
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#95 » by Impuniti » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:44 pm

I just love Kerr's logic of "x player is DNP because he is not good enough. But if z player whose a starter goes missing for weeks/months, than that x player will be the undisputed starter instead of whoever played behind him."

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#96 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:33 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:In a world where your employer gives you permission to do so. See, that wasn't so hard to figure out.

Miserable huh? Yeah, yours is a bs response that takes the argument out of context. Bend and stretch it, reach for the sky!

Who's advocating to fire him the very next day?

Nobody.

Romulus wrote:At work, we just had an employee get fired because threatening weather was coming and she wanted to take off early. She asked, the boss said no. She left anyway. She was fired the next day. Welcome to real life.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,878

Post#97 » by Hoopstar23 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:54 pm

Wiggins is back per Shams and Woj
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#98 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:56 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:Wiggins is back per Shams and Woj

Man that really sucks for fans who needed to take out their jealousy on someone
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#99 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:57 pm

Was fun seeing Moody flourish for a week.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#100 » by Old_Blue » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:58 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:Wiggins is back per Shams and Woj

Man that really sucks for fans who needed to take out their jealousy on someone

This thread brought out the very worst in RealGM humanity.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.

Return to Golden State Warriors