ImageImageImageImageImage

Steph Curry *IS* the System

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Re: Steph Curry *IS* the System 

Post#21 » by HiRez » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:34 am

Ask yourself why it is that other teams — even bad ones — missing their best players consistently beat the Warriors but the Warriors missing their best players rarely do.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#22 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:01 am

HiRez wrote:Ask yourself why it is that other teams — even bad ones — missing their best players consistently beat the Warriors but the Warriors missing their best players rarely do.

With steph out, we should be leaning on dray and the defense more, not less. Yet, somehow kerr doesn't think that's an option

We can't replicate steph, so we need to temporarily adjust. Not a complete overhaul.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#23 » by killmongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 am

Going forward, just cheer for the young players to do well so that their trade values are high in the summer.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,053

Post#24 » by Jester_ » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:55 am

lol so many mfs on this board have been on my case for saying this. just watch what happens to Kerr, Lacob, Klay, everyone without Steph

there's even folks here that would rather rebuild than try to maximize the last couple of years

you have a GOAT-calibre player for just a few more years you throw everything you can into winning rings those years. if y'all think we will ever be back at this position again you are in for a rude awakening
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 456

Post#25 » by superunknown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:26 pm

HiRez wrote:Ask yourself why it is that other teams — even bad ones — missing their best players consistently beat the Warriors but the Warriors missing their best players rarely do.

becasue they're badly coached. the whole system is predicated on steph being on the floor. without him, there's no counter moves, no adjustments that can make the team work well to a certain extent. this warriors brand of basketball can only work well with him as engine.
without him, there's no warriors brand of basketball, no all-star /future HoF on the floor and on the bench.
without him, kerr's whole system falls to pieces and everyone else is exposed for what they really are: good role players, nothing more. seriously, everyone should be grateful to steph, klay, dray, kerr, etc. steph is the one that maximizes their potential, not the other way around.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,278

Post#26 » by Impuniti » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:38 pm

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Yes curry is all that, but kerr isn't helping.

He might be great at managing personalities, but he's showing how much he's been carried on the basketball side of things by steph and competent assistant coaches.

Is he really great at managing personalities because he’s getting ran through with the current ones.

He's great at managing 4-5 players who are vets and kissing their ass, all the while simultaneously treating players like cliques everyone has different expectations and merit points depending how much you like them.

So yeah, Steve Kerr is a wonderful players' coach, if you look at it from the players he likes or acts like a butler to.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#27 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:23 am

whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Without Kerr, these Warriors would probably have zero rings and Curry would probably be in a different uniform.

Kerr was given an elite defensive team with the best offensive weapon the in the NBA.... and everyone was young. I'm pretty sure a lot of people could figure out how to win with that.

Kerr turned Curry into a cheat code.

Nah. The Warriors had the 4th highest SRS with Mark Jackson, David Lee and a pre-prime Curry. Curry was just taking the next natural step and the David Lee injury forced him to take a larger offensive role. Draymond was the cherry on top for the defense.

This team was at its best with Luke Walton coaching.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#28 » by Jester_ » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:43 am

whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Without Kerr, these Warriors would probably have zero rings and Curry would probably be in a different uniform.

Kerr was given an elite defensive team with the best offensive weapon the in the NBA.... and everyone was young. I'm pretty sure a lot of people could figure out how to win with that.

I'm dying.... this dude is genuinely a nick kerr burner
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,041

Post#29 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:19 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Nah. The Warriors had the 4th highest SRS with Mark Jackson, David Lee and a pre-prime Curry. Curry was just taking the next natural step and the David Lee injury forced him to take a larger offensive role. Draymond was the cherry on top for the defense.

Luke ran what Kerr had created and MJax would still have Curry on ball getting trapped all game.

Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Do you not remember MJax fighting for his life and not knowing how to maximize Curry? Would SVG had created the offense Kerr did if he had been given coach and GM duties?

I get people having qualms with Kerr and his coaching but some here think he is an idiot and a terrible coach which says more about them than Kerr, IMO.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,079

Post#30 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:21 am

Think the better argument is "with Mark Jackson", not necessarily "with Steve Kerr"

And thats not necessarily an indictment of Kerr (it certainly is of Jackson though), but do I think most coaches would have figured out how to use Steph in a way that wasnt stupid? Most likely.. and then all Draymond needed was a window, which he got when David Lee got his hammy pulled early, and we had the foundational offensive piece and foundational defensive piece, both of which used how good they were to make the other surrounding them much better

Which makes the thread funny to me.. what happens to our system when Draymond sits? Very average team then too.. they're both the system. Curry more impactful, especially now in the hyper-offense days, but a regular starting PF doesn't elevate the team to titles

But here, apparently he wouldnt be a starter anywhere else and not nearly as good without Steph.. as if no other team could use a guy who plays DPOY-level defense and can create offense. If anything, he's underrated because the offensive system was so dependent on Curry/Klay, unlike other systems which afford more balance and less dependency
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#31 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:23 am

killmongrel wrote:Going forward, just cheer for the young players to do well so that their trade values are high in the summer.

Only way its going to happen is if there's a huge name we can get for those young players. Team has been awfully careful over time about supplementing bad news with good news (Bogut/Iguodala/KD), or at least making something out of a bad situation (KD/D-Lo)
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,819

Post#32 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:01 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Which makes the thread funny to me.. what happens to our system when Draymond sits? Very average team then too.. they're both the system.

I was referring to offense. For defense, Dray is the key.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#33 » by Jester_ » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am

whatisacenter wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Do you not remember MJax fighting for his life and not knowing how to maximize Curry? Would SVG had created the offense Kerr did if he had been given coach and GM duties?

I get people having qualms with Kerr and his coaching but some here think he is an idiot and a terrible coach which says more about them than Kerr, IMO.

Um, do you not remember MJax taking Curry with a limping sophomore Klay as his 2nd best player past the 3rd seed Nuggets and almost beating the championship Spurs in the 2nd round?

Do you not remember Curry averaging 23/8 in the second half of his rookie year with a dementiad Don Nelson and G-league players?

Do you not remember Curry taking a team of white polisci kids almost to the final four and eviscerating the best college teams playing 1-on-5?

Curry has been a cheat code his entire career - did you start watching in 2015? :crazy:
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,333

Post#34 » by Onus » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Yes curry is all that, but kerr isn't helping.

He might be great at managing personalities, but he's showing how much he's been carried on the basketball side of things by steph and competent assistant coaches.

Is he really great at managing personalities because he’s getting ran through with the current ones.

He's great at managing 4-5 players who are vets and kissing their ass, all the while simultaneously treating players like cliques everyone has different expectations and merit points depending how much you like them.

So yeah, Steve Kerr is a wonderful players' coach, if you look at it from the players he likes or acts like a butler to.

Which 4-5 players is that? Are they current players? Because he hasn't managed Klay well at all.

I think the biggest disappointment is that Kerr is not a good matchup coach. Before he could play his best 5 players and then force the other team to matchup to us. But now we don't have the players to force other teams to match up to us. We have to matchup to them and Kerr just isn't good at that. He's more worried about playing players a specific amount of time and making sure everyone knows what to expect. If you're allotted 20 mins it doesn't matter that you're hot you're getting 20 min. If you're bad maybe you only get 15, but you'll still get your minutes. We don't have a 5 best players and each game is going to be matchup dependent but Kerr is absolutely awful at it.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#35 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:58 pm

Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

Um, do you not remember MJax taking Curry with a limping sophomore Klay as his 2nd best player past the 3rd seed Nuggets and almost beating the championship Spurs in the 2nd round?

Do you not remember Curry averaging 23/8 in the second half of his rookie year with a dementiad Don Nelson and G-league players?

Do you not remember Curry taking a team of white polisci kids almost to the final four and eviscerating the best college teams playing 1-on-5?

Curry has been a cheat code his entire career - did you start watching in 2015? :crazy:

Thanks for resting my case.

How did the Warriors do the following year with MJax after surprising the league that season by beating the Nuggets and coming up short against the Spurs in 2013? They were beat in the first round because MJax never made any adjustments with the offense.

In the NCAA Curry was electric but was ultimately undone by a team doing guess what??? Double teaming him!

Curry has always been an electric individual scorer but was not fully unlocked until when? 2014-15, Kerr's first season as coach and Curry wins league MVP and the Warriors win their first title since 1975.

And I started watching the Warriors as my favorite team in 1987 which is why I appreciate Coach Kerr and the dynasty we have been treated to since he was hired.

It's ok to give him credit and also hold him accountable for his mistakes but some, and especially you, are ridiculous with your criticisms.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#36 » by Sandy333 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:56 pm

Kerr got luckily with development timeline of the strph and trio of steph Thompson and draymond.
He is idiot and the owners are bigger fools and we the biggest fools to watch this team with NO hope.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#37 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:48 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Luke ran what Kerr had created and MJax would still have Curry on ball getting trapped all game.

Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

The MJax you're trash talking took an inferior squad to the fourth highest SRS in the NBA before Stephen Curry entered his prime with David Lee at PF. What do you think's going to happen when they get a mediocre coach, Curry Curry enters his prime, and the whole cast improves? Oh, and Draymond Green is forced to start to due injury. Keep in mind, already the fourth best team in the NBA.

If a team has the fourth highest SRS in the NBA, they are a young, they are great on defense, and they have the greatest offensive weapon of all time who has yet to enter their prime... They're going to improve when they get rid of the incompetent coach and replace the worst defensive forward in the NBA with the best defense of forward in the NBA.

Luke Walton improved on what Steve Kerr created. Just like Steve Kerr improved on what Mark Jackson created. The biggest difference between Walton and Kerr is that Walton actually had a feel for the game.

The truth is that the warriors should have forced Steve Kerr into a front office role as soon as he took time off for his back.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#38 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Jester_ wrote:

The MJax you're trash talking took an inferior squad to the fourth highest SRS in the NBA before Stephen Curry entered his prime with David Lee at PF. What do you think's going to happen when they get a mediocre coach, Curry Curry enters his prime, and the whole cast improves? Oh, and Draymond Green is forced to start to due injury. Keep in mind, already the fourth best team in the NBA.

If a team has the fourth highest SRS in the NBA, they are a young, they are great on defense, and they have the greatest offensive weapon of all time who has yet to enter their prime... They're going to improve when they get rid of the incompetent coach and replace the worst defensive forward in the NBA with the best defense of forward in the NBA.

Luke Walton improved on what Steve Kerr created. Just like Steve Kerr improved on what Mark Jackson created. The biggest difference between Walton and Kerr is that Walton actually had a feel for the game.

The truth is that the warriors should have forced Steve Kerr into a front office role as soon as he took time off for his back.

Okay, Mark, how is your new gig?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#39 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:37 pm

If Mark Jackson is credible in anyone's eyes, then Kerr has to be by the same logic

He absolutely shouldnt be, because he was effectively a cheerleader in a suit. The defense was constructed by the defensive AHC, the one who's since won a title - Mike Malone. It wasn't even that good of a defensive system, it was just an overwhelming amount of talent. Draymond, Bogut, Iguodala, young Klay, Barnes.. they ran a vanilla scheme that was anchored by 3 of the best defenders in the league

Then when Kerr came on, he brought in 2 key hires: Ron Adams, who enhanced what Malone was doing.. and most importantly and so very very often overlooked, Alvin Gentry, who brought the same run-n-gun system he oversaw in PHX, created by Mike Antoni, but hired by Steve Kerr. Fits the Warriors like a glove and they become 2-way elite

After KD, where even Mark Jackson could have won a title, Mike Brown then picked up the defensive pieces post-Bogut/post-KD and helped craft a newer system where smaller players could play longer as long as they overhelped and had defensive versatility. It would be easy for a stubborn coach, like Jackson for example, to say no, lets not use this gimmicky style defense and play it straight. Kerr didnt do that, and because of that we have an extra title and he absolutely deserves the credit for that

All that said.. he's still a lousy in-game manager and right now is either getting bad advice or rejecting good advice. Hard to say, but the buck stops with him, so he's ultimately responsible for not maxing out assets as well as he could. But guys like Walton, who seems to be JAG coach, and Jackson, who flat out hasnt coached period since.. they arent on Kerr's level. Walton maybe could be, but it has to come with proof, and he doesnt have it yet. Jackson has tried getting gigs repeatedly and no one wants him. Considering some of the retreads in this league, that speaks volumes
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#40 » by Bayside » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:09 am

If kerr is around 2 more years, I hope we get some talented assistant coaches. Problem is probably be his son.

Return to Golden State Warriors