ImageImageImageImageImage

Time to face facts - Warriors are not underachieving.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Time to face facts - Warriors are not underachieving. 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:41 am

This is who they are.

They are smallish - older - slower at key positions and relying on three 21 year olds to get them into the play in.

Curry can flurry and it won't matter. Klay can have a big day every ten days and it won't matter. Cp is ancient. Draymond is nowhere near what he once was...and can do the Draymond thing about 15 minutes a game.

There is so much young talent in the league and the Warriors are just an old team hanging onto past glory.

Better to tank at this point, rest Curry, and take a run at FA this off season and REALLY consider blowing this up.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Re: Time to face facts - Warriors are not underachieving. 

Post#2 » by bicycle » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:47 am

I really wonder, if we spiral out the rest of the season too, do they even bother extending Klay? I figured they'd do it because Steph would want it, but at this point does what Steph wants even govern the decision making of the team? We could've added Siakam, or Markkanen, or Murray, and we still wouldn't be real title threats. Is there any reason to believe making a move on that level in the offseason would get us there next year?
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Post#3 » by superunknown » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:56 am

blow it up.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#4 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:52 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
Better to tank at this point, rest Curry, and take a run at FA this off season and REALLY consider blowing this up.

Except that our 2024 pick is going to Portland unless it is #1-4. Not enough time to tank for #1-4? We are going to lose in play-in and Portland gets a #14 pick.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#5 » by floppymoose » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:30 am

This team could easily have a top 5 pick in 2025. One long term Steph injury would guarantee it.

And yes, they are their record.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#6 » by Jester_ » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:20 am

Our average net rating with Draymond and TJD on the floor is +21 over over a hundred posessions of data. Yet for some reason, the Dubs are playing one of the most historically small lineups of all time.

Moody's per-36 steal and block numbers, especially lately, have only been surpassed by Jonathan Isaac and Wemby

So no. You believe Steph Curry, a young budding star and a proven cast of vets are not even a playoff team because you've been conditioned to accept that we need multiple first-ballot hall of famers in their prime just to have a shot at competing. You have convinced yourself that greatness means almost losing in the conference finals despite having the most overpowered roster of all time.

Dubs fans are like watching a case study on Stockholm syndrome I swear. Only your new partner doesn't hit you like your previous partner did so you think they're great, even though they emotionally abuse you, gaslight you at every turn and have a weird tic.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,393

Post#7 » by svart » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 am

Now i'm just wandering how the **** can i endure two more kerr years.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#8 » by DevinVassell » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:54 am

ILOVEIT wrote:This is who they are.

They are smallish - older - slower at key positions and relying on three 21 year olds to get them into the play in.

Curry can flurry and it won't matter. Klay can have a big day every ten days and it won't matter. Cp is ancient. Draymond is nowhere near what he once was...and can do the Draymond thing about 15 minutes a game.

There is so much young talent in the league and the Warriors are just an old team hanging onto past glory.

Warriors already made their decision by extending Dray four more years. The unnecessarily early and asinine two year 35M Kerr extension just reinforces their direction. My god it's going to suck big time watching this team

Success it seems has made Lacob soft? Calculated risk taking and trying to stay ahead of the curb may be a thing of the past. He of all people should remember the Celtics cashing their vets in and where they are now as a result. The chance was there when our vets had value but alas that train has now left the station.

Time to accept your fate dubs fans.

Everyone is getting paid, then its going to be a long, slow, train ride into oblivion. This warriors team will ride it out until the wheels fall off...
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#9 » by weekend_warrior » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:27 am

If not for the emergence of Kuminga, this season would be even more brutal to watch. That's actually the only thing that sucked me back in a little after skipping the first 3 months of the season.

They actually have a lot of young talent that one could be happy for to see developing. Probably not enough to become really relevant again, but a good young core to try to pair with a star from free agency if possible.

The current trajectory however spells 2 more years of the same. Not good enough to compete, not into it yet to rebuild. Those are the miserable years.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by superunknown » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:54 am

svart wrote:Now i'm just wandering how the **** can i endure two more kerr years.

seriously, what a joke.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 448

Post#11 » by Romulus » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:02 pm

I admit it. I have a very difficult time even watching these games. The lineups are often comical. Closing with CP3? I mean, come on.

Yes, this is a very flawed roster. On one hand, it's very old; on the other hand, it's very young. Not even being .500 at home at this point in the season tells you all you need to know. I can't believe Kerr (who really is the GM) didn't want to make a trade at the deadline. Sure, you can argue even getting a big name wouldn't make this unit a contender. But the idea should be to improve the talent, make the team better, one step at a time. That's assuming of course the team is serious and wants to compete with the core 3.

Sadly (heartbreaking, really), it looks like Lacob is happy hanging on to the past, giving them large chunks of change (including Kerr, the worst coach in the league this season), and pretending they can contend. Kerr's continued mantra that they're "headed for a very special playoff run," only becomes more and more absurd by the day.

As I watch these last remaining games, I can't escape the feeling that Curry's career is already over, he's just playing out the string. It's done. He'll be a product of this motion offense and Kerr's coaching until the bitter end. I would ask, what's the point? To continue to pad your stats? To play with your buddies? I guess that's something. But for a guy who can still be very good player in the league, I just think it's beneath him.

As Springsteen once wrote..."and the poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be."
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 448

Post#12 » by Romulus » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:26 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:If not for the emergence of Kuminga, this season would be even more brutal to watch. That's actually the only thing that sucked me back in a little after skipping the first 3 months of the season.

They actually have a lot of young talent that one could be happy for to see developing. Probably not enough to become really relevant again, but a good young core to try to pair with a star from free agency if possible.

The current trajectory however spells 2 more years of the same. Not good enough to compete, not into it yet to rebuild. Those are the miserable years.

Yes. The next 2 seasons look to be brutal. We will all watch the core 3 get worse and worse. The young core will get a little better and the net result will be a team going nowhere. You won't be bad enough to get any more real young talent in the draft, and free agents won't be interested in playing for a team going nowhere.

The crowds will grow smaller. It'll be a very ugly ending.

I'm not going to waste anyone's time by suggesting trades that this FO has no interest in making. They've proven that they have no idea how to construct this roster with the core 3 to make them any threat to win another title. They'd be smart to trade Draymond, Klay, and yes, even Curry. Maybe those guys could land on a decent team and have a chance for another title. But with resigning Kerr for two more years, extending Draymond, and likely resigning Klay, we all pretty much know how this is going to end. Sadly, we'll all love those guys less because of it.

Endings are always difficult. This one is going to be especially painful to watch. Something I noticed in the game last night? So many guys just shaking their heads. Curry did it a lot. CP3 did it. Klay did it. I mean, these guys realize they're going nowhere, that the season is already over, that they're just not good enough and pose no threat whatsoever.

Sad.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#13 » by WarriorGM » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:57 pm

Romulus wrote: Something I noticed in the game last night? So many guys just shaking their heads. Curry did it a lot. CP3 did it. Klay did it. I mean, these guys realize they're going nowhere, that the season is already over, that they're just not good enough and pose no threat whatsoever.

Sad.

Well if they see there is a problem it is up to them to provide a solution. From my perch I can see several possible issues. The roster construction is one but that's tricky to address quickly. The coaching issue though can be addressed fairly quickly. Instead of shaking their heads maybe Steph and company need to finally wield their authority and question the dubious lineups the coaching staff is coming up with. Unfortunately Steph doesn't seem to be the sharpest cookie and probably has no idea what needs to be done. The front office in this regard might actually have a clue.

BPM isn't great but it seems to give a fairly straightforward diagnosis. Wiggins, Klay, Kuminga, and Podz are negative players going by the way they've been played so far despite being in the top 5 in minutes played. The question is can Wiggins turn things around? Does moving Klay to the bench mitigate the problem with him? Can Kuminga continue to improve enough to finally become a positive? Is Podz the best guy the team can come up with to fill his spot?
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#14 » by thunderdunk » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:37 pm

I still think the FO would have made some trades at the deadline if anyone had made any reasonable offers. At that point, Wiggs and Klay had zero value. The good news is, JK looks like a potential star (still developing), TJD looks like a capable 5, and Podz looks like a capable guard. The Dubs are finally rebounding these days, led by Podz. CP3 should be very tradable this off season. IMO, they should let Klay walk, or do a S&T if possible. I doubt that he will sign a contract commensurate with his current role as a BU. Looney has looked out of gas all year. Not sure what his deal is, but at least he has a workable contract and may or may not be worthwhile to keep as a BU 5. I would keep Steph -- he IS the franchise. But IMO all bets are off on anybody else this summer.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by superunknown » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:36 pm

thunderdunk wrote:I still think the FO would have made some trades at the deadline if anyone had made any reasonable offers. At that point, Wiggs and Klay had zero value. The good news is, JK looks like a potential star (still developing), TJD looks like a capable 5, and Podz looks like a capable guard. The Dubs are finally rebounding these days, led by Podz. CP3 should be very tradable this off season. IMO, they should let Klay walk, or do a S&T if possible. I doubt that he will sign a contract commensurate with his current role as a BU. Looney has looked out of gas all year. Not sure what his deal is, but at least he has a workable contract and may or may not be worthwhile to keep as a BU 5. I would keep Steph -- he IS the franchise. But IMO all bets are off on anybody else this summer.

steph, wiggins, GPII (hoping he's healthy most of the time) and the youngsters (podz TJD, kuminga, moody).
the rest is expendable and should be moved or let go. including the coaching staff.
but it's unlikely is the direction the organization will take.
light years yes, but behind.
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#16 » by tal57 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:46 pm

Steph can feel whatever he wants, they are who they are. There simply comes time when the core's drop off became very real and noticeable. They became too old, mostly unathletic, small and most importantly it couldn't have not significantly impacted their D, which became God awful. Combine that with the host of teams like OKC, MN, NO in the West alone growth and maturity. They are lucky 5 teams below them are even worse and they are sitting at 10 by default.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#17 » by HiRez » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:58 pm

If anything they might overachieving. It's kind of amazing they're over .500 playing this putrid brand of basketball.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#18 » by xdrta+ » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:16 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Better to tank at this point, rest Curry, and take a run at FA this off season and REALLY consider blowing this up.

How much cap room do you think they'll have to "take a run at FA" this off season? I'll help you out. The cap is projected to be $141M. The Warriors have 8 players on guaranteed salaries for 24-25 totaling $137M.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#19 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:25 pm

Pretty simple: Either land a big time FA or
Blow it up, end the dynasty core at the same time, trade all three and land a gigantic haul of picks/young stars.

If sustaining championship caliber teams is the point, blowing it up, and making Podz, Kuminga, Moody, Lester Q, TJD your new starting group, suck for two years and, with the right moves, could be OKC.

The core will totally get it and we can have the reunion (see RUN TMC stuff) years and statues ahead.

EDIT - trade Wiggins as well. You don't want this guy on a team that needs leadership.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#20 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Better to tank at this point, rest Curry, and take a run at FA this off season and REALLY consider blowing this up.

How much cap room do you think they'll have to "take a run at FA" this off season? I'll help you out. The cap is projected to be $141M. The Warriors have 8 players on guaranteed salaries for 24-25 totaling $137M.

My bad. I should have included trading salarys of Wiggins, for example, to make that work. The key is upgrading a second star - whatever means necessary. If that's impossible. blow it up.

Return to Golden State Warriors