ImageImageImageImageImage

Symptoms of Coaching Sabotage

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Symptoms of Coaching Sabotage 

Post#1 » by WarriorGM » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:23 pm

This forum is full of posts that have gone on and on about how Kerr is coaching in a bewildering manner. The main issue that people have latched on to is his bizarre love for three guard lineups which have repeatedly shown dismal results. Another is his apparent reluctance to play the high draft picks from two years ago in Kuminga and Moody unless forced by circumstances.

But from what I can tell that's not all. If one looks at the NBA Lineups Advanced page
https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?slug=advanced&TeamID=1610612760
one sees that the team has gone through about 21 pages of different lineups. Most of the teams considered real contenders in comparison have gone through around only 14 pages worth. Going through so many lineups does not encourage consistency.

What's more the lineups with the best net ratings get just about as many minutes as the ones with the worst net ratings and obvious lineup ideas like one featuring Steph, Draymond, Wiggins, Kuminga and Moody has gotten a total of one minute. Why does a lineup with a net rating of -41 get more play than one with a net rating of +46?

In the thread on the recent Pacers game I also noted how the game was pretty much lost due to two lineups that featured only one playmaker. Why on earth were the Warriors playing lineups with one playmaker especially considering Kerr's propensity to trot out three guard lineups one advantage of which is to have a surfeit of playmakers?

Frankly sabotage has to be seriously considered. The ineptitude on display is otherwise mind-boggling. Kerr has been the focus of criticism but the rest of the coaching staff deserve scrutiny too. Atkinson as I recall was a proponent of trying different lineups out. Things have apparently gone out of control on that front.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Re: Symptoms of Coaching Sabotage 

Post#2 » by Jester_ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:10 pm

He has always been bad. He has choked or almost-choked multiple playoff series over the years because of his stupid rotations. He was constantly saved by injuries. We lose in 2015 if Kyrie and Love aren't hurt, we lose in 2018 if Chris Paul doesn't get hurt, god knows what happens in the series against the Spurs and Grizz if Conley and Kawhi didn't get hurt.

People just give him a pass because he's a charismatic white dude who always says the nice, PR thing. He's that classic middle manager who does nothing but always gets raises thanks to your work.

There will NEVER be a roster like the 2010s Golden State Warriors. Ever. A team that densely packed with talent while also exploiting a massive league asymmetry (3 pointers) will NEVER happen again. The only players who were as game-breaking as Steph are Shaq & Jordan - anyone who thinks we're sniffing a championship post-Steph with this coach/FO are sniffing glue.

Those who have turned on Kerr this year after the last few years are understandable. What is shocking is that there are still a few offroad idiots who defend him, and unfortunately for us it seems a few of those idiots run our front office.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,276

Post#3 » by Onus » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:22 pm

Kerr was supposed to be a players coach in a Phil Jackson way. His strength was to get players to buy into a role that would best help the team. He has failed miserably in what was supposed to be his strength and has basically ceded control of playing time and role to the players rather than having to make the tough decisions and conversations that come with benching hof worthy players
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#4 » by Onus » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:56 pm

Also to add ... How many times have we seen Kerr take out a hot player after said player made their last 3 shots? Kerr has absolutely 0 game flow feel. He is blinded by his pre-determined rotations. I believe it happened twice in the Pacers game where Steph was hitting shots in the 1st and then got sat, then Klay was hitting shots in the 2nd and then he got sat. Then neither found their groove again.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,930

Post#5 » by whatisacenter » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:58 pm

Clearly a contending roster being held back by a sabotaging coach....
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#6 » by marthafokker » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:22 pm

Onus wrote:Also to add ... How many times have we seen Kerr take out a hot player after said player made their last 3 shots? Kerr has absolutely 0 game flow feel. He is blinded by his pre-determined rotations. I believe it happened twice in the Pacers game where Steph was hitting shots in the 1st and then got sat, then Klay was hitting shots in the 2nd and then he got sat. Then neither found their groove again.

I still remember the beginning of the season. Curry was on fire. CP3 questioned why he is subbing in for Curry. Classic Kerr.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Post#7 » by superunknown » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:08 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Clearly a contending roster being held back by a sabotaging coach....

why one would rule out the other one?
it can be the roster is flawed AND the coach is not part of the solution as well.
the team is not a contender? ok. yet it shouldn't be 10th in the west.
the warriors have a 18-14 record away and 18-19 at home. if it was just the roster they wouldn't have that away record. usually when you have that away record you are not a below .500 team at home. that's coaching.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#8 » by Old_Blue » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:57 pm

The criticism of Kerr has become toxic and laced with extremely questionable rhetoric. It is both unfortunate and unnecessary that arguments having nothing to do with basketball acumen are being tossed about like hand grenades. Comments like these (some of which were made during a season when Kerr won a championship) are not basketball related and make you wonder what is the real agenda here:

Jester_ wrote:People just give him a pass because he's a charismatic white dude who always says the nice, PR thing. He's that classic middle manager who does nothing but always gets raises thanks to your work.

Jester_ wrote:No greater plot armour than being an ineffectual white guy with progressive catchphrases in San Francisco

Jester_ wrote:It's weird how people will deep dive into the data when it comes to players - yet with coaches half their brains fall out. But who am I to cast aspersions on The Great White Hope

Jester_ wrote:People today are brainwashed, but I'm pretty confident history will look back on this dynasty and see Steve "Great White Saviour" Kerr for the dumpster fire he is, who lucked into Stephen Curry.

Jester_ wrote:Good luck - there are still some holdouts here who are mesmerized by the white guy with his pithy, vanilla milkshake quotes and comments and believe he can do no wrong.

Jester_ wrote:And yet again, before our eyes, he's making stupid ass decisions that are literally game-ruining. But without fail, a bunch of daddy Kerr knob-gobblers resurface to defend the Great White Gun Violence Activist.

Jester_ wrote:Kerr is a weasley, pandering kiss-ass who just says what everyone wants to hear. He's personally responsible for the biggest sports choke job in a generation. But hes a self-righteous white dude so naturally he's got fanboys.

Jester_ wrote:Kerr is a spineless weasel so this isn't surprising. Our FO and coaching staff are a bunch of yuppie San Francisco type white dudes so the fact our brass is responsible for alienating KD is no surprise.

Jester_ wrote:Kerr has been the problem for years. He gets a pass because he's a charming aw-shucks white guy who lucked into the greatest roster ever assembled (and choked it away at least 1 time).
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#9 » by Jester_ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:16 pm

Old_Blue wrote:The criticism of Kerr has become toxic and laced with extremely questionable rhetoric. It is both unfortunate and unnecessary that arguments having nothing to do with basketball acumen are being tossed about like hand grenades. Comments like these (some of which were made during a season when Kerr won a championship) are not basketball related and make you wonder what is the real agenda here:

Jester_ wrote:People just give him a pass because he's a charismatic white dude who always says the nice, PR thing. He's that classic middle manager who does nothing but always gets raises thanks to your work.

Jester_ wrote:No greater plot armour than being an ineffectual white guy with progressive catchphrases in San Francisco

Jester_ wrote:It's weird how people will deep dive into the data when it comes to players - yet with coaches half their brains fall out. But who am I to cast aspersions on The Great White Hope

Jester_ wrote:People today are brainwashed, but I'm pretty confident history will look back on this dynasty and see Steve "Great White Saviour" Kerr for the dumpster fire he is, who lucked into Stephen Curry.

Jester_ wrote:Good luck - there are still some holdouts here who are mesmerized by the white guy with his pithy, vanilla milkshake quotes and comments and believe he can do no wrong.

Jester_ wrote:And yet again, before our eyes, he's making stupid ass decisions that are literally game-ruining. But without fail, a bunch of daddy Kerr knob-gobblers resurface to defend the Great White Gun Violence Activist.

Jester_ wrote:Kerr is a weasley, pandering kiss-ass who just says what everyone wants to hear. He's personally responsible for the biggest sports choke job in a generation. But hes a self-righteous white dude so naturally he's got fanboys.

Jester_ wrote:Kerr is a spineless weasel so this isn't surprising. Our FO and coaching staff are a bunch of yuppie San Francisco type white dudes so the fact our brass is responsible for alienating KD is no surprise.

Jester_ wrote:Kerr has been the problem for years. He gets a pass because he's a charming aw-shucks white guy who lucked into the greatest roster ever assembled (and choked it away at least 1 time).

Jesus say you're unemployed without saying you're unemployed :crazy:

Ya caught me Old Blue, I'm an anti-white racist using RealGM as my outlet for my radical melannistic terrorism

Some of y'all boomers just goofy as hell mayn :lol:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#10 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 pm

Jester_ wrote:He has always been bad. He has choked or almost-choked multiple playoff series over the years because of his stupid rotations. He was constantly saved by injuries. We lose in 2015 if Kyrie and Love aren't hurt, we lose in 2018 if Chris Paul doesn't get hurt, god knows what happens in the series against the Spurs and Grizz if Conley and Kawhi didn't get hurt.

We won the game Kyrie played in and Kevin Love was dreadful the following finals because Draymond could shut him down with ease. Kind of a bold statement about 2018 too considering games 6 and 7 weren't even competitive. Those Grizz and Spurs team didn't have a chance either way. You also forget to mention the flip side of things, we've actually won playoffs series missing Steph or Durant.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,930

Post#11 » by whatisacenter » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:36 pm

I would say Draymond has sabotaged the past two season way more than anything else. But Kerr and FO have Stockholm syndrome and apparently Steph can't even play basketball without him.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#12 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:05 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Jester_ wrote:He has always been bad. He has choked or almost-choked multiple playoff series over the years because of his stupid rotations. He was constantly saved by injuries. We lose in 2015 if Kyrie and Love aren't hurt, we lose in 2018 if Chris Paul doesn't get hurt, god knows what happens in the series against the Spurs and Grizz if Conley and Kawhi didn't get hurt.

We won the game Kyrie played in and Kevin Love was dreadful the following finals because Draymond could shut him down with ease. Kind of a bold statement about 2018 too considering games 6 and 7 weren't even competitive. Those Grizz and Spurs team didn't have a chance either way. You also forget to mention the flip side of things, we've actually won playoffs series missing Steph or Durant.

You know what is hilarious about saying Kerr would have choked if not for injuries....

And what happens if Durant and Klay don't both go down in 2019? ;)

THEY WERE IN THE FINALS six years in a row!!!!! Does choking only count in the finals. 73 win season matter at all? 4 chips matter at all? Come back against the best teams they faced in the WCF...OKC and Houston?

I think it's laughable to take a couple of game 7 situations or a few others to make a case while ignoring a dynastic run lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#13 » by Jester_ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:02 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

You know what is hilarious about saying Kerr would have choked if not for injuries....

And what happens if Durant and Klay don't both go down in 2019? ;)

THEY WERE IN THE FINALS six years in a row!!!!! Does choking only count in the finals. 73 win season matter at all? 4 chips matter at all? Come back against the best teams they faced in the WCF...OKC and Houston?

I think it's laughable to take a couple of game 7 situations or a few others to make a case while ignoring a dynastic run lol

:lol:

Yes exactly, the Raptors only won because we were injured. Thanks for making my point for me. :lol:

By the Kerr-apologists way of thinking, the Raptors win was perfectly legitimate. And everybody here knows it wasn't.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#14 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 pm

I'm not happy with Kerr right now either and thought he should have moved on after this season but he's one of the all-time greats. You can't deny it. Well respected NBA people that are a lot smarter than me say it all the time.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#15 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:05 am

Old_Blue wrote:The criticism of Kerr has become toxic and laced with extremely questionable rhetoric. It is both unfortunate and unnecessary that arguments having nothing to do with basketball acumen are being tossed about like hand grenades. Comments like these (some of which were made during a season when Kerr won a championship) are not basketball related and make you wonder what is the real agenda here:

Kerr is Lebanese, so this is fake news.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Post#16 » by superunknown » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:23 am

kerr could be native indian american as far as I'm concerned, he's been doing a lousy job all season long and doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on around him.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 448

Post#17 » by Romulus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:44 am

Honestly. I can't fathom any other coach in the league only playing his best player 29 minutes in a game that means absolutely everything to even having a chance to make the playoffs. Sabotage? Call it whatever you want, it defies any logic.

Lebron, almost 40, played 38 minutes tonight in a game the Lakers won by 5 points. If Lebron only plays 30 minutes, do the Lakers win? Probably not.

The bizarre lineups, the small ball lovefest, the constant times of taking out the guy with the hot hand? This truly isn't a coach chasing wins. What's important here? Winning? Saving players for what? Kuminga had to beg (and go to the media) to get any playing time; Moody remains silent and rarely gets to play; Curry's minutes get more and more reduced as the games become more important.

None of it makes any sense.

Then, to top it off, Kerr signs a two year extension and becomes the highest paid coach in basketball.

Talk about an organization that's totally lost its way. Light years behind everyone else.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#18 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:05 pm

Onus wrote:Kerr was supposed to be a players coach in a Phil Jackson way. His strength was to get players to buy into a role that would best help the team. He has failed miserably in what was supposed to be his strength and has basically ceded control of playing time and role to the players rather than having to make the tough decisions and conversations that come with benching hof worthy players

Pretty much.. there's a fine line between being a parent-friend and outright spoiling your kids. When someone like Klay was on top of his game, no need to really do much. Now that he's not, its time to call in the goodwill chips. But Kerr isn't doing it, so all that player's coach stuff was just him enabling his stars to do whatever, because their talent would overcome the obstacles

He's alluded to being hands off so many times and hearing him, live, say that he doesnt care which offensive sets we run (found out that apparently the broadcast caught this - how are people taking that in stride? How does THAT not have its own thread??).. thats not what the team needs right now. But its all he's got
Onus
RealGM

Post#19 » by Onus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:Kerr was supposed to be a players coach in a Phil Jackson way. His strength was to get players to buy into a role that would best help the team. He has failed miserably in what was supposed to be his strength and has basically ceded control of playing time and role to the players rather than having to make the tough decisions and conversations that come with benching hof worthy players

Pretty much.. there's a fine line between being a parent-friend and outright spoiling your kids. When someone like Klay was on top of his game, no need to really do much. Now that he's not, its time to call in the goodwill chips. But Kerr isn't doing it, so all that player's coach stuff was just him enabling his stars to do whatever, because their talent would overcome the obstacles

He's alluded to being hands off so many times and hearing him, live, say that he doesnt care which offensive sets we run (found out that apparently the broadcast caught this - how are people taking that in stride? How does THAT not have its own thread??).. thats not what the team needs right now. But its all he's got

I don't think it matters possession to possession which offensive sets we run. I mean a coach calling out sets every time down when you have curry, cp3, dray would be bizarre. ATOs and when the team is in a funk yea it's time to run a set play and get someone else involved. For me it's more about how do you expect to play defense when you continue to give minutes to someone who doesn't try and just shrugs his shoulders every time he gives up. The players are developing bad habits and "staying" well how about you coach and put those players on the bench. That way that behavior is actually being punished rather than rewarded with more playing time?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,804

Post#20 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 pm

Yeah, Kerr built a dynasty off of an offensive approach. Not by calling plays. Who the eff cares about calling specific plays possession to possession? Why would that be a goal for a coach?

Return to Golden State Warriors