ImageImageImageImageImage

Kerr: “If you want to say (Steph Curry) minutes was the difference in a loss, I disagree

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Re: Kerr: “If you want to say (Steph Curry) minutes was the difference in a loss, I disagree 

Post#41 » by Impuniti » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 pm

DevinVassell wrote:It's not even Stephs minute count that is the big problem here. Its the situation and when he was benched.

If the Warriors are up big or its a blow out of course you sit him with your eyes toward the future.

But from memory the Warriors started the fourth up 3 and when Steph returned they were down 6. A nine point swing and another unnecessary hole to fight out of with the clock already ticking down. Every man and his dog was questioning this decision in real time.

And Kerr has the audacity to say it didn't make a difference. You couldn't make it up lol.

The problem is also a 9 minute timeline where he sat. How do you sit rhythm players for that absurdly long time and expect something positive? :banghead:
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Re: Kerr: “If you want to say (Steph Curry) minutes was the difference in a loss, I disagree 

Post#42 » by WarriorGM » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 pm

Romulus wrote:This is interesting. The very cautious, conservative Alchemy suggests perhaps Kerr is sabotaging the season and even gives a reason why. Do you buy it?

;t=546s&ab_channel=AthleticAlchemy

Didn't watch but if you are going to go the conspiracy route you need to look at incentives and follow the money. Who benefits from the team not making the playoffs?

It seems ridiculous to suggest Lacob and ownership could benefit from the team losing since it will probably lose him money at the very least short term but if more control going forward in the form of parting with the beloved core in a way that doesn't draw blowback can be gained maybe one can make a creative argument that ownership is looking the other way because it could also save money on contracts and overspending penalties. Wouldn't one expect to hear more grumbling from the front office if what Kerr is doing is displeasing them as much as it is fans?

Cannot really be sure how seriously this line of thinking can be taken without doing the math but if the math checks out then maybe the conspiracy theory shouldn't be dismissed.

Edit: Did a very quick look to see what the luxury tax is and came across a $268 million figure. Another estimates $176 million. Is that enough to throw the season?

Now if Kerr was presented the case where he has to choose among ownership that wants to save $100 million, Klay who wants to get a big contract, or Steph who wants to win another championship, who do you think Kerr will help?

If Kerr can follow ownership's wishes, make it appear as if he was doing everything he could to stick up for Klay by playing him minutes, and manage not to ruffle Steph's feathers too much by making it look like the team was simply not good enough and inevitably wouldn't go anywhere could he do it?
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 448

Post#43 » by Romulus » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:32 am

WarriorGM wrote:
Romulus wrote:This is interesting. The very cautious, conservative Alchemy suggests perhaps Kerr is sabotaging the season and even gives a reason why. Do you buy it?

;t=546s&ab_channel=AthleticAlchemy

Didn't watch but if you are going to go the conspiracy route you need to look at incentives and follow the money. Who benefits from the team not making the playoffs?

It seems ridiculous to suggest Lacob and ownership could benefit from the team losing since it will probably lose him money at the very least short term but if more control going forward in the form of parting with the beloved core in a way that doesn't draw blowback can be gained maybe one can make a creative argument that ownership is looking the other way because it could also save money on contracts and overspending penalties. Wouldn't one expect to hear more grumbling from the front office if what Kerr is doing is displeasing them as much as it is fans?

Cannot really be sure how seriously this line of thinking can be taken without doing the math but if the math checks out then maybe the conspiracy theory shouldn't be dismissed.

Edit: Did a very quick look to see what the luxury tax is and came across a $268 million figure. Another estimates $176 million. Is that enough to throw the season?

Now if Kerr was presented the case where he has to choose among ownership that wants to save $100 million, Klay who wants to get a big contract, or Steph who wants to win another championship, who do you think Kerr will help?

If Kerr can follow ownership's wishes, make it appear as if he was doing everything he could to stick up for Klay by playing him minutes, and manage not to ruffle Steph's feathers too much by making it look like the team was simply not good enough and inevitably wouldn't go anywhere could he do it?

Another good post. What's going on now with Kerr on the surface doesn't make a lot of sense. His decisions on lineups and rotations are way out of whack even for him. Trying to make sense of that can be difficult because it's counter intuitive.

Kerr's been so bad this year and yet is rewarded by signing a massive 2 year extension that makes him the highest paid coach in the NBA. Obviously, Lacob LOVES what Kerr is doing this year. Why, when the team is so under-achieving, blowing more close games than any other team?

Do most owners that buy teams want to win? Yes, of course. But what happens AFTER you've won -- in this case, 4 titles? Is winning still the priority? Or, is the owner tired of paying a huge tax and does that become the priority. Lacob in an interview a few months ago talked endlessly about getting under the tax, so his real motive at this point is pretty obvious. Is getting in the play-in, facing the Lakers and getting bounced really that appealing? Again, Lacob in that interview talks about the necessity to make changes if for some reason this team underachieves. How much easier is it to sell to fans that the team needs to be blown up when you can't even get in the playoffs?

Think about it. Tie all these loose ends together and you start to see what might actually be going on behind the curtain.

Also, think back before the trade deadline. The FO put out multiple stories that everyone other than Curry was being considered for trade possibilities. Dunleavy Jr. said he needed more time to evaluate the team to figure out if they in fact needed to make a trade. Obviously, the team never improved and everyone knew this team desperately needed to make a move if it wanted to have any chance this season. So what happens? Amazingly, absolutely nothing. Was it all a smoke screen, just a way to placate fans to make them think big moves were being considered when in reality just the opposite was taking place?

I'm guessing Lacob is ready to turn the page. I don't think Alchemy is too far off here. If Klay comes back it's going to be on a very team friendly deal. CP3 will simply be let go. GP2 won't be resigned. And if there are to be any trades, it won't be young guys, it'll be the vets.

This scenario seems to make the most sense as you watch this season unfold and you see a coach who appears to be doing everything possible to tank the season.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,335

Post#44 » by SpreeS » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:46 am

It’s clear as day

50% we will miss PI
30% we will lose to LAL in PI
15% we will lose to 8th seed in PI
5% we will lose to 1st seed in PO

95% we will miss PO and this is background of big changes this summer. I don’t know what mean this huge Kerr new contract, no brainier for me, but we will see how it ends. Now this organisation looks like chicken w/o head w/o direction.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#45 » by billinder33 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:03 pm

Try this on for a conspiracy theory, I know this will sound insane but hear me out...

Everyone on the Ws, top to bottom is trying to win.

A team with half senior citizens and half baby kittens is a bad roster design.

Paying $150M+ in luxury tax only makes sense if you're competing for titles, not so much if you're .500

And the most demented s**t of it all.... No one is trying to throw games or sabotage anything, they're actually just not good enough.

Crazy huh?
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#46 » by WarriorGM » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 pm

billinder33 wrote:Try this on for a conspiracy theory, I know this will sound insane but hear me out...

Everyone on the Ws, top to bottom is trying to win.

A team with half senior citizens and half baby kittens is a bad roster design.

Paying $150M+ in luxury tax only makes sense if you're competing for titles, not so much if you're .500

And the most demented s**t of it all.... No one is trying to throw games or sabotage anything, they're actually just not good enough.

Crazy huh?

Believing in the conspiracy theory shows more faith in their abilities than your take.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:34 pm

The "conspiracy" of losing more doesn't make any sense because they easily control their finances going forward. They only need to let CP3 walk and re-sign Klay for half of what he's making now. That takes them completely out of the luxury tax. They don't have to lose to make all this happen. It's not even hard to do. So that is a non-starter to me.

Now I have previously advocated for trading Steph and a complete rebuild. Does anyone think *that* is the conspiracy? I doubt any of you think that is going to happen.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,274

Post#48 » by Onus » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:The "conspiracy" of losing more doesn't make any sense because they easily control their finances going forward. They only need to let CP3 walk and re-sign Klay for half of what he's making now. That takes them completely out of the luxury tax. They don't have to lose to make all this happen. It's not even hard to do. So that is a non-starter to me.

Now I have previously advocated for trading Steph and a complete rebuild. Does anyone think *that* is the conspiracy? I doubt any of you think that is going to happen.

Add Klay to the let walk scenario please! I can't take 2 more years watching Klay sulk up and down the court hanging his head, letting everyone zoom by him. It's depressing and embarrassing that he's getting 30 min. Seriously I'd rather miss the play in all together if that ensures Klay isn't re-signed.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#49 » by Jester_ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:14 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:The "conspiracy" of losing more doesn't make any sense because they easily control their finances going forward. They only need to let CP3 walk and re-sign Klay for half of what he's making now. That takes them completely out of the luxury tax. They don't have to lose to make all this happen. It's not even hard to do. So that is a non-starter to me.

Add Klay to the let walk scenario please! I can't take 2 more years watching Klay sulk up and down the court hanging his head, letting everyone zoom by him. It's depressing and embarrassing that he's getting 30 min. Seriously I'd rather miss the play in all together if that ensures Klay isn't re-signed.

I had hope prior to the Kerr extension. Now I think Manleavy is just a different side of the **** LaMyers shaped coin.

Hope y'all enjoyed the last decade and a half of the Lakers because that's our future, except no Lebron James is going out of his way to move to San Francisco to get defecated on by a homeless venture capitalist on their way to practice every day.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,274

Post#50 » by Onus » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:00 pm

Jester_ wrote:
Onus wrote:

I had hope prior to the Kerr extension. Now I think Manleavy is just a different side of the **** LaMyers shaped coin.

Hope y'all enjoyed the last decade and a half of the Lakers because that's our future, except no Lebron James is going out of his way to move to San Francisco to get defecated on by a homeless venture capitalist on their way to practice every day.

The Lakers won another title in the last decade. If we win another title in the next decade that would be amazing.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#51 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:48 pm

Onus wrote:

the play-in is a waste of time, please just end the season
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#52 » by xdrta+ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:57 pm

EvanZ wrote: They only need to let CP3 walk and re-sign Klay for half of what he's making now. That takes them completely out of the luxury tax.

It's pretty close, though. The projected tax line is $171M. With your plan of letting CP (and Looney, who you didn't mention) walk and signing Klay for half what he makes now, their team salary will be about $159M, for 9 players. That leaves $12M to sign 5 players, obviously all minimums, and puts them right at the edge of the tax.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#53 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:56 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote: They only need to let CP3 walk and re-sign Klay for half of what he's making now. That takes them completely out of the luxury tax.

It's pretty close, though. The projected tax line is $171M. With your plan of letting CP (and Looney, who you didn't mention) walk and signing Klay for half what he makes now, their team salary will be about $159M, for 9 players. That leaves $12M to sign 5 players, obviously all minimums, and puts them right at the edge of the tax.

$171M is vastly different from $450M.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Post#54 » by superunknown » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 pm

the thing that is mindblowing above all is that if you want to limit steph' minutes from 36 (what he should have played) to 30 (what he played), you have to understand you are not beating minnie. so just rest him for the next game. or sit him out the rest of the season because the team is not good enough with him playing 30 mins per game. nobody would win. and definitely not these warriors.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#55 » by watch1958 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:25 pm

superunknown wrote:the thing that is mindblowing above all is that if you want to limit steph' minutes from 36 (what he should have played) to 30 (what he played), you have to understand you are not beating minnie. so just rest him for the next game. or sit him out the rest of the season because the team is not good enough with him playing 30 mins per game. nobody would win. and definitely not these warriors.

There’s a lack of subtlety and flexibility in their approach. Last season they basically tanked back to backs. They’d bench everyone for the second games.

This year they rarely have planned rest days.

I know the league changed the rules, but it seems they could have found a middle ground if they’d put in the effort.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#56 » by xdrta+ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

What do these two unrelated numbers even mean?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#57 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:43 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

You said "it's pretty close". But getting under the tax and where they are now is not close at all. It's also not close if they are just under the tax or barely over. The point is this current level was unsustainable and they are obviously not going to keep paying it.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#58 » by xdrta+ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:15 am

EvanZ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You said "it's pretty close". But getting under the tax and where they are now is not close at all. It's also not close if they are just under the tax or barely over. The point is this current level was unsustainable and they are obviously not going to keep paying it.

Well, you said, "They only need to let CP3 walk and re-sign Klay for half of what he's making now. That takes them completely out of the luxury tax." That is indeed very close whether they can get out of the tax. Now you want to change it and compare it to where they are now.

And, there is a huge difference whether they're barely under or barely over. The main point of getting under the tax is to get out of the repeater tax, which goes up to extremely punitive levels with the new CBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#59 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:55 am

If it’s close then it can be done. They’re not going to be $1 over the tax lol

Return to Golden State Warriors