ImageImageImageImageImage

Kerr: “If you want to say (Steph Curry) minutes was the difference in a loss, I disagree

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Re: Kerr: “If you want to say (Steph Curry) minutes was the difference in a loss, I disagree 

Post#21 » by Impuniti » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:55 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
People here are WAY more upset about Curry's minutes than Curry himself. He said he was 'a little surprised" and that he "played the whole 4th quarter against the Pacer and that didn't work" and that "this didn't work out" and "you need to find something in the middle". :sleep:

Are you seriously that naive that you think Steph of all people is going to throw Steve under the bus like that? How many times has he done that his entire career? What argument is this even?

Why is the best player in the team playing 30 minutes in a must win match when he's not injured or fouled out?

It doesn’t really matter what you or I believe. If Steph Curry wants to play more minutes, he will.

Big picture is, it doesn’t really matter who or how many minutes players play, this team is mediocre.

That depends how aggressive he is. Steph also for 2-3 straight seasons would get benched for the last defensive possession of the game. You think he was happy about that :lol: or being passive and about the team? A scenario that no other superstar has dealt with.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Re: Kerr: “If you want to say (Steph Curry) minutes was the difference in a loss, I disagree 

Post#22 » by TB » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:10 pm

It's not the Steph minutes (or lack of minutes) that are the main problem.

- The problem is CP3's non Steph minutes to start the 4th were with: Podz, Wiggins, Klay, Trayce.. .they have a -52 net rating this year.
- The problem has continued to be trying to optimize splash bro minutes together, when the sad reality is they need to be split. Nobody has played more minutes with Steph than Klay, and he's been the worst net player with Steph this season.
- Moody/Saric/Loon have all been removed from the rotation even though there are plenty of scenarios they should be playing.
- Moody fits with almost any lineup and could get 10+ minutes a game just by splitting Steph and CP3/Klay.
- CP3/Klay/Saric without Steph are a +14 net... but again, this has been totally abandoned due to Saric struggling in other lineups and/or this lineup simply not being used for whatever reasons.
- Steph/Dray/Trayce is a positive. Steph/Dray/Loon w/o Klay is a positive. Yet we have gone away from Loon entirely and only now starting to utilize Dray/Trayce... but almost always with Klay which pushes him into those 30+ minute ranges again.

We know we have a good small ball unit with Steph/Podz/Wiggins/Kuminga/Dray. We know we can play Loon or Trayce with Steph/Dray and win minutes (especially w/o Klay). We know CP3/Klay/Dario can win non-Steph minutes. We know Moody can be a positive when given consistent minutes.

Yet, almost none of those things are happening since it would mean cutting Klay and CP3 minutes under 20 per game. Something Kerr has not been willing to do.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 448

Post#23 » by Romulus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:25 pm

Some people are coming on here and actually trying to defend this? My god.

If this is such a great strategy, why is no other coach doing it at this time of year where every game is so important? Why is Thibs playing guys the entire game? Why is KD averaging 37 minutes a game and just played 41 minutes? Why did Lebron play 38 minutes last night? Because those teams and those coaches are desperate to win right now. Steve Kerr is NOT. And that is totally unacceptable.

Blame Curry all you want. He paused for 8 full seconds before even answering the question. If you think he's happy about not playing, you're not paying attention.

It's on the coach, not the player, when it comes to lineups, who plays how many minutes.

And if Kerr truly believes Curry playing only 30 minutes and losing a game by 4 points has no effect on losing, then he's a bigger idiot than any of us could ever imagine. He knows better. He knows that's the reason they lost. But he's too stubborn to simply admit that this was a decision he made BEFORE the game ever began.

Stop defending Kerr. What he did last night was total madness.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#24 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:45 pm

Feel like Steph saying anything at all is the equivalent of a regular NBA player candidly bitching

Even if the season is lost, Kerr just phoning it in, as the defacto leader who just got a massive extension, needs to be the one salvaging whatever he can from it. Because it sure isn't going to get better just by staying the course and I really dont think he has any other card to play
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#25 » by Onus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:07 pm

TB wrote:It's not the Steph minutes (or lack of minutes) that are the main problem.

- The problem is CP3's non Steph minutes to start the 4th were with: Podz, Wiggins, Klay, Trayce.. .they have a -52 net rating this year.
- The problem has continued to be trying to optimize splash bro minutes together, when the sad reality is they need to be split. Nobody has played more minutes with Steph than Klay, and he's been the worst net player with Steph this season.
- Moody/Saric/Loon have all been removed from the rotation even though there are plenty of scenarios they should be playing.
- Moody fits with almost any lineup and could get 10+ minutes a game just by splitting Steph and CP3/Klay.
- CP3/Klay/Saric without Steph are a +14 net... but again, this has been totally abandoned due to Saric struggling in other lineups and/or this lineup simply not being used for whatever reasons.
- Steph/Dray/Trayce is a positive. Steph/Dray/Loon w/o Klay is a positive. Yet we have gone away from Loon entirely and only now starting to utilize Dray/Trayce... but almost always with Klay which pushes him into those 30+ minute ranges again.

We know we have a good small ball unit with Steph/Podz/Wiggins/Kuminga/Dray. We know we can play Loon or Trayce with Steph/Dray and win minutes (especially w/o Klay). We know CP3/Klay/Dario can win non-Steph minutes. We know Moody can be a positive when given consistent minutes.

Yet, almost none of those things are happening since it would mean cutting Klay and CP3 minutes under 20 per game. Something Kerr has not been willing to do.

Kerr has been cutting cp's minutes. Cp only played 20 last night and hasn't played more than 24 since curry came back from injury.

Kerr hasn't found away to cut Klay's minutes so he's cutting Curry's minutes, which is hilarious.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#26 » by Onus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:40 pm

Romulus wrote:If this is such a great strategy, why is no other coach doing it at this time of year where every game is so important? Why is Thibs playing guys the entire game? Why is KD averaging 37 minutes a game and just played 41 minutes? Why did Lebron play 38 minutes last night? Because those teams and those coaches are desperate to win right now. Steve Kerr is NOT. And that is totally unacceptable.

Kerr is too comfortable where it doesn't matter about wins or losses. He's not playing to win each individual game. Other coaches have to win to keep their job. Kerr is more concerned with Klay and what he's going to get on his next contract than winning any singular game. Has been this way all year.
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by Romulus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:11 pm

Onus wrote:
Romulus wrote:If this is such a great strategy, why is no other coach doing it at this time of year where every game is so important? Why is Thibs playing guys the entire game? Why is KD averaging 37 minutes a game and just played 41 minutes? Why did Lebron play 38 minutes last night? Because those teams and those coaches are desperate to win right now. Steve Kerr is NOT. And that is totally unacceptable.

Kerr is too comfortable where it doesn't matter about wins or losses. He's not playing to win each individual game. Other coaches have to win to keep their job. Kerr is more concerned with Klay and what he's going to get on his next contract than winning any singular game. Has been this way all year.

Very good post.
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by Romulus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:14 pm

This is interesting. The very cautious, conservative Alchemy suggests perhaps Kerr is sabotaging the season and even gives a reason why. Do you buy it?

;t=546s&ab_channel=AthleticAlchemy
Onus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Onus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:45 pm

Romulus wrote:This is interesting. The very cautious, conservative Alchemy suggests perhaps Kerr is sabotaging the season and even gives a reason why. Do you buy it?

Could you give a quick did not watch overview?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#30 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:53 pm

TB wrote:It's not the Steph minutes (or lack of minutes) that are the main problem.

This.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#31 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:57 pm

Romulus wrote:This is interesting. The very cautious, conservative Alchemy suggests perhaps Kerr is sabotaging the season and even gives a reason why. Do you buy it?

I think anyone who puts this out into the public airwaves has no concern about their credibility

So no, dont buy it, wont listen to it. There is a difference between content creators and analysts, and he is clearly the former. Frankly he's not very good at analysis, but like others who are gathering a following this year, they do know how to preach things that fans want to hear
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#32 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:03 pm

Onus wrote:Could you give a quick did not watch overview?

He asks if Kerr is trying to force some self-reflection within the org, both to motivate the offseason (i assume he means front office for that part) and also to get Steph, Dray, and Klay to buy into a changing of roles.

I dont think Kerr is intentionally throwing games. I suspect he just knows something we dont, and that he isn't making public. Or hell, maybe he just screwed up on counting up minutes. There are any number of possibilities that dont involve sabotage.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,002

Post#33 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:05 pm

I don't normally watch this guy anymore, but gave it a listen. Basically he calls it a conspiracy theory himself 'there's no way Steve Kerr is making these mistakes on accident given how good of a coach he is.' Doesn't seem super serious about it, seems exasperated with Kerr. Pushes his fantasy gambling code a bunch (sigh).

whatisacenter wrote:
It doesn’t really matter what you or I believe. If Steph Curry wants to play more minutes, he will.

Big picture is, it doesn’t really matter who or how many minutes players play, this team is mediocre.

I think Steph wanted to play more, and we'll likely see that. Steph is private, this clip is about as loud as he gets in a presser.

Big picture I guess it doesn't matter if your only goal is to win a championship, then yeah this team could have packed it up before the year even started. I would have liked to get a playoff series this season to get JK/TJD/Moody/Podz some postseason reps, that has value for the future. Seems like Steve has pitched enough games to make it questionable whether we will make the play-in. Steph playing more doesn't guarantee a win, but there have been so many of these situations this year that those bad choices to me have lost some games.
Onus
RealGM

Post#34 » by Onus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 pm

floppymoose wrote:

He asks if Kerr is trying to force some self-reflection within the org, both the motivate the offseason (i assume he means front office for that part) and also to get Steph, Dray, and Klay to buy into a changing of roles.

I dont think Kerr is intentionally throwing games. I suspect he just knows something we dont, and that he isn't making public. Or hell, maybe he just screwed up on counting up minutes. There are any number of possibilities that dont involve sabotage.

I can kind of agree that Kerr has been searching for a counter or 2nd option or anything outside of Steph all year. Really hasn't found anything. PG said the clips lack an identity we certainly lack an identity all year and for whatever reason Kerr doesn't want to rely on just letting Steph save us this year. Maybe it's from PTSD from last year when we lost to the Lakers because we had no other options. But is it better to miss the playoffs because you're searching for something or making the playoffs and just seeing what Steph can do? I mean we're 70 games in and Kerr is still playing new lineups and new rotations.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#35 » by WarriorGM » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:37 pm

Onus wrote:

Kerr has been cutting cp's minutes. Cp only played 20 last night and hasn't played more than 24 since curry came back from injury.

Kerr hasn't found away to cut Klay's minutes so he's cutting Curry's minutes, which is hilarious.

After looking at the lineup data I have to say the idea that Curry and Klay need to be split is not entirely true. There seems to be a number of lineups where they are positive together but the key is Draymond. Klay basically only has a positive net rating in 2-man lineups with Draymond, CP3, and Kuminga and barely at that. Despite the murmurs of Klay and TJD having some kind of connection it certainly isn't showing up in the numbers, that pair is actually pretty bad.

Your point that Moody, Saric, and Looney have uses in certain situations should be heeded. CP3 and Looney units look like they merit more exploration. Moody being good in just about any lineup might be true in many cases but not in ones where you are trying to fit him in with any two of CP3, Klay or TJD. I've been trying to find promising lineups with those three guys together and have been failing. It's slim picking with even just two of them but among the more promising ideas for CP3 and TJD together are lineups with Saric mirroring your point that Saric looks playable with CP3 and Klay.

Some of the positive lineups that I saw when trying to find ones a combination of CP3, Klay or TJD might play in follow. Podziemski is prominent in nearly all of them indicating to me the vital need for a secondary playmaker.
(Numbers are games, minutes, offensive rating, defensive rating, net rating)

C. Paul - J. Kuminga - M. Moody - T. Jackson-Davis - B. Podziemski
5 22 122.2 107.0 15.2

C. Paul - K. Thompson - D. Green - T. Jackson-Davis - B. Podziemski
5 18 137.1 110.3 26.9

S. Curry - K. Thompson - J. Kuminga - T. Jackson-Davis - B. Podziemski
9 18 120.0 93.0 27.0

K. Thompson - J. Kuminga - T. Jackson-Davis - L. Quinones - B. Podziemski
5 17 110.3 97.4 12.9

C. Paul - K. Thompson - K. Looney - J. Kuminga - B. Podziemski
2 14 131.0 86.7 44.4

C. Paul - S. Curry - A. Wiggins - J. Kuminga - T. Jackson-Davis
5 13 134.5 113.8 20.7

C. Paul - D. Saric - G. Payton II - T. Jackson-Davis - B. Podziemski
2 12 129.2 79.2 50.0

C. Paul - D. Saric - M. Moody - T. Jackson-Davis - B. Podziemski
3 11 131.8 50.0 81.8
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#36 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:40 pm

Name me one star in the history of the NBA who had their minutes trimmed...completely healthy....with season ending games on the line? It's BS. LeBron is fricken ancient and he's playing big mintues AND leading the team back into the playoffs.

Yes, Kerr cleary is not a good rotation - hands on coach. He's a big picture tone setter.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,002

Post#37 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 pm

Onus wrote:I can kind of agree that Kerr has been searching for a counter or 2nd option or anything outside of Steph all year. Really hasn't found anything. PG said the clips lack an identity we certainly lack an identity all year and for whatever reason Kerr doesn't want to rely on just letting Steph save us this year. Maybe it's from PTSD from last year when we lost to the Lakers because we had no other options. But is it better to miss the playoffs because you're searching for something or making the playoffs and just seeing what Steph can do? I mean we're 70 games in and Kerr is still playing new lineups and new rotations.

Thing is, we didn't have a 2nd option last championship either and it worked. During the playoffs Poole (65.4%), GPII (75%), OPJ (63%) chimed in all over 60% TS. Klay shot 55%, Wiggins 54.4%. In the past 2 years the league average TS% has gone up 1.5% while two of those players are gone and GPII is at 58.8% TS / 36.4% from 3, both roughly league average. Somehow Klay played the most minutes, god only knows why but we made it out as victors so I don't care.

Now I'm not saying not having a 2nd option makes a lot of sense, just that we had some role players have the season of their lives to make up for it. Steve is still operating on this 2022 assumption that Steph and a cast of characters can work, you can play Klay a ton despite what metrics say, but in reality that ship set sail as we all know. That 2022 chip is the shining jewel in Curry's crown, really not the most talented group but we got the chip.

What jumps out is that those 3 guys who had a crazy post season all did so with incredible outside shooting (Gary shot 53% from 3!), we are missing shooting more than anything. We need a strong SG to pair with Steph that can hit open shots at a high clip as you can't count on 3 role players to shoot crazy all the time. We really blew it not getting into the Jrue sweepstakes this year, hopefully next off-season the outside shooting/2nd threat issue is addressed as the top concern. I know Jrue isn't a crazy threat, but he's makes them when they are open and is an amazing defender. Curry generates a lot of good looks that just get whiffed, often for players that also don't have great defense.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#38 » by Impuniti » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Name me one star in the history of the NBA who had their minutes trimmed...completely healthy....with season ending games on the line? It's BS. LeBron is fricken ancient and he's playing big mintues AND leading the team back into the playoffs.

Yes, Kerr cleary is not a good rotation - hands on coach. He's a big picture tone setter.

What tone has he been setting the last few seasons? Kissing the ass of old legacy players and treating everybody else different? Not sure that's a positive tone to set. :oops:
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#39 » by DevinVassell » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 pm

It's not even Stephs minute count that is the big problem here. Its the situation and when he was benched.

If the Warriors are up big or its a blow out of course you sit him with your eyes toward the future.

But from memory the Warriors started the fourth up 3 and when Steph returned they were down 6. A nine point swing and another unnecessary hole to fight out of with the clock already ticking down. Every man and his dog was questioning this decision in real time.

And Kerr has the audacity to say it didn't make a difference. You couldn't make it up lol.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#40 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:58 pm

DevinVassell wrote:And Kerr has the audacity to say it didn't make a difference. You couldn't make it up lol.

Yeah that was baffling.. one of the best scorers in league history, best shooter in league history... they literally call them Curry flurries. Doubling down on a bad decision is a really awful look

Return to Golden State Warriors