xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Re: START Moody 

Post#81 » by xdrta+ » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:48 pm

vvoland wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
vvoland wrote:[/b]

You also mentioned this in the game thread regarding Klay's flaming hot start to both the game and the 2nd half. Kerr just doesn't ride the hot hand (on offense or defense). He has his inflexible rotations and it takes an injury or getting blown out by a bad team (like when JK was out of the lineup and played in the 2nd half against por) for the rotations to change.

Kerr used to be the ultimate feel coach. Now he's like a pre-programmed excel file. Any theories?

I think the whole concept of "hot" and "cold" is deceptive. Klay may make shots when he's fresh and look hot, then miss as he tires and look cold. I do recall that when Klay started again after coming off the bench, Kerr said something like he does better in 5 minute stretches. (maybe it was longer but that was the idea.)

I think I would agree if Kerr allowed Klay to stay on the court while he's shooting well (like last night) and pulls him when he starts to fatigue (missing short, or missing at all). Instead, he pulls him at exactly the same time in the 1st and 3rd, regardless of how's he's playing.

Not just Klay, he did it with moody, steph (even cp3 had to step in, early in the year), JK.. he's an equal opportunity offender.

I'm not defending Kerr here, and only speaking about Klay, but it seems to me that his stamina is gone. He used to be an iron man but those days are long past, so I'd just as soon see him come out before he's tired and starts missing. And he made shots again when he came back in, so it's not like a switch goes off and he's finished.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#82 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:18 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
vvoland wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
I think the whole concept of "hot" and "cold" is deceptive. Klay may make shots when he's fresh and look hot, then miss as he tires and look cold. I do recall that when Klay started again after coming off the bench, Kerr said something like he does better in 5 minute stretches. (maybe it was longer but that was the idea.)

I think I would agree if Kerr allowed Klay to stay on the court while he's shooting well (like last night) and pulls him when he starts to fatigue (missing short, or missing at all). Instead, he pulls him at exactly the same time in the 1st and 3rd, regardless of how's he's playing.

Not just Klay, he did it with moody, steph (even cp3 had to step in, early in the year), JK.. he's an equal opportunity offender.

I'm not defending Kerr here, and only speaking about Klay, but it seems to me that his stamina is gone. He used to be an iron man but those days are long past, so I'd just as soon see him come out before he's tired and starts missing. And he made shots again when he came back in, so it's not like a switch goes off and he's finished.

Last night, yes, it didn't matter. There's been a handful of games where he couldn't find his rhythm again, however, and it seems confusing why Kerr would pull him before he shows signs of cooling off.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#83 » by xdrta+ » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:37 pm

vvoland wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Last night, yes, it didn't matter. There's been a handful of games where he couldn't find his rhythm again, however, and it seems confusing why Kerr would pull him before he shows signs of cooling off.

Well, different opinions. Doesn't seem that confusing to me.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,054

Post#84 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:46 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Not so much new, but more 2022 like.

I'm seeing more of a wiggs-dray 2 man defense where each are filling the scrambler role. They are the 2 that are moving sideline to sideline and blitzing timely doubles. This 2 seem to be shadowing the ball as much as their man. The other 3 guys are in a more stationary position covering an area.

We aren't really giving the easy switch. We are either fighting through screens and having steph tag or giving the screen but in spy position to give help.

We are using alot more doubles to speed up their offense with wiggs and dray stunting and recovering everywhere.

I'm thinking this wrinkle is because we have tjd protecting the rim which allows wiggs to spy and pressure up top with dray in the middle with the threat of a quick trap and help.

And we are using alot less zone.

I think timpf and viray saw the sane things, so now that's just 3 of us. :D

Have seen that they are trying to switch back more, but mostly saw that in Dallas and I just wrote it off as Luka rules. I have seen the doubles too, but I'm not a big believer in that process unless there's an urgent need, and they seem to just deploy it whenever, at random

We'll see if it works, but I think the team, if used correctly, doesnt need to do the gimmicky ****. But will they be used correctly? Who knows..

You also mentioned this in the game thread regarding Klay's flaming hot start to both the game and the 2nd half. Kerr just doesn't ride the hot hand (on offense or defense). He has his inflexible rotations and it takes an injury or getting blown out by a bad team (like when JK was out of the lineup and played in the 2nd half against por) for the rotations to change.

Kerr used to be the ultimate feel coach. Now he's like a pre-programmed excel file. Any theories?

All my theories on Kerr devolve into over the top insults. I really truly hate ignorance at the pro level, and I think that's what we're seeing here. Be it because of being stubborn, or rigid, or whatever the root cause is.. Kerr's inflexibility is ignorant. If he held himself to the same standard he holds young players to, he'd bench himself. That said, if he held himself to the same standard he does to the veteran core, he'd give himself a 2 year, 35mil extension
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#85 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:50 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
vvoland wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Well, different opinions. Doesn't seem that confusing to me.

Before January, which I know is a limited dataset to only half the games (or a bit less), Klay had the most amount of shifts over 6 minutes, narrowly edging out Steph. That's likely changed since then, especially with the rigidity of the 5 minute rule for Kerr, but this season he's been given long shifts just like anyone else

Stamina's a weird thing too, people think of it like video games too often. Starts at 100%, bar drains, bench them til full again, repeat. Its more typically an accumulation, and most of the accumulation doesnt even happen on camera. All that to say, if Klay's stamina is an issue, how often he's in/out of the game is going to only marginally affect the results, and of course will lead to diminishing returns in the games that matter most. I think most people would be happy with Klay starting at 20 mpg, with a +/- 10 variable based on how he's playing that game

Even that feels too rigid for me but I think that's the kind of language Kerr speaks :dontknow:
vvoland
Senior

Post#86 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:54 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Have seen that they are trying to switch back more, but mostly saw that in Dallas and I just wrote it off as Luka rules. I have seen the doubles too, but I'm not a big believer in that process unless there's an urgent need, and they seem to just deploy it whenever, at random

We'll see if it works, but I think the team, if used correctly, doesnt need to do the gimmicky ****. But will they be used correctly? Who knows..

All my theories on Kerr devolve into over the top insults. I really truly hate ignorance at the pro level, and I think that's what we're seeing here. Be it because of being stubborn, or rigid, or whatever the root cause is.. Kerr's inflexibility is ignorant. If he held himself to the same standard he holds young players to, he'd bench himself. That said, if he held himself to the same standard he does to the veteran core, he'd give himself a 2 year, 35mil extension

But we're talking about the same coach that, two years ago, was very flexible and pushed pretty much all the right buttons, especially in the playoffs. Between the rigid lineups, the late game execution, and usage of young players, he seems the opposite of the coach that was instrumental in our 4th title.

I just can't figure out what changed so dramatically.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#87 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:01 am

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:[/b]

But we're talking about the same coach that, two years ago, was very flexible and pushed pretty much all the right buttons, especially in the playoffs. Between the rigid lineups, the late game execution, and usage of young players, he seems the opposite of the coach that was instrumental in our 4th title.

I just can't figure out what changed so dramatically.

Mike Brown
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#88 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:34 am

Maybe don’t start Moody. Did not work so well vs Mavs minus Luka. Moody minus 23
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#89 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:46 am

Not going to lie, moody did not look good. I think kerr was hoping he'd take that wiggins role as poa and a guy who can carry the offense for stretches as the 3rd option, but it might have been too much. I think he might be better suited to be that secondary perimeter defender/4th option guy.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#90 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:48 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Maybe don’t start Moody. Did not work so well vs Mavs minus Luka. Moody minus 23

Maybe putting him on the best handler in the league not a good idea. Only GP2 guarded him well
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,300

Post#91 » by Onus » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:49 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Not going to lie, moody did not look good. I think kerr was hoping he'd take that wiggins role as poa and a guy who can carry the offense for stretches as the 3rd option, but it might have been too much. I think he might be better suited to be that secondary perimeter defender/4th option guy.

Moody is probably a better off ball defender than on ball defender. I really don’t see much from him on offense. He’s jag.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#92 » by WarriorGM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:52 am

That -23 from Moody is rather eye-popping. This bad performance from him deserves further scrutiny.

I will let myself run a little wild with speculation: Maybe it is performances like this in practice that has kept Moody on the bench. Small fast guards are Moody's kryptonite and players like Kyrie and Steph would expose it severely. Silver lining though is if you know his weaknesses you can try to cover them and take advantage of situations where he is not easily exposed.

Will probably have to go back to the Kings series last year and see if this hold true or not. Was Moody put on Fox?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#93 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:04 am

WarriorGM wrote:That -23 from Moody is rather eye-popping. This bad performance from him deserves further scrutiny.

I will let myself run a little wild with speculation: Maybe it is performances like this in practice that has kept Moody on the bench. Small fast guards are Moody's kryptonite and players like Kyrie and Steph would expose it severely. Silver lining though is if you know his weaknesses you can try to cover them and take advantage of situations where he is not easily exposed.

Will probably have to go back to the Kings series last year and see if this hold true or not. Was Moody put on Fox?

Take out moody and replace with jk and he might have been worse. Irving likely would have lived at the ft line.

Gp2 was really good though. This is where missing wiggins hurt. But either way, kyrie a nightmarish match up for 99% of the league.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#94 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:09 am

We need to scrutinize an average quickness wing getting beat by one of the shiftiest players in NBA history?

I mean sure, if you like. Moody has never succeeded on quick guards, he's done his damage against 2-4s
vvoland
Senior

Post#95 » by vvoland » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:22 pm

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Not going to lie, moody did not look good. I think kerr was hoping he'd take that wiggins role as poa and a guy who can carry the offense for stretches as the 3rd option, but it might have been too much. I think he might be better suited to be that secondary perimeter defender/4th option guy.

Moody is probably a better off ball defender than on ball defender. I really don’t see much from him on offense. He’s jag.

Moody's issues last night, and throughout his 3 seasons, have been on offense. He's hesitant, seems to lack confidence and passes up shots created in the system that need to be taken. 8 shot attempts in 20+ minutes on a team missing wiggs and jk, with Steph struggling until the 4th, is the most damning stat. I think that's what Kerr hates the most. How many times have we seen MM pass up a relatively open three just to drive into a much tougher shot or TO.

JK had a similar issues with the ball sticking to his hands and not being able to play in our .5 second offense. He's gotten better and Kerr has changed some offensive principles to let JK cook (more iso and post opportunities for him). I'm not sure moody has improved any/much in this regard and maybe this isn't the offensive system for him.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#96 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:41 pm

He’ll pass up a shot to drive into the lane and pick up his dribble
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#97 » by WarriorGM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:13 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:We need to scrutinize an average quickness wing getting beat by one of the shiftiest players in NBA history?

I mean sure, if you like. Moody has never succeeded on quick guards, he's done his damage against 2-4s

Yes we do. If he has never succeeded against quick guards and is not just -10 bad but -20 bad then if it is not Moody's fault it is the coach's for putting him in a situation in which he is unlikely to succeed.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#98 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:52 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:We need to scrutinize an average quickness wing getting beat by one of the shiftiest players in NBA history?

Yes we do. If he has never succeeded against quick guards and is not just -10 bad but -20 bad then if it is not Moody's fault it is the coach's for putting him in a situation in which he is unlikely to succeed.

I think if you ask even the staunchest of Moody fans, they wouldnt have said it was a good matchup. Schroeder has gone by him with ease on 2 different teams.. Kyrie was gonna blend everyone who's not GP2/Wiggins. I might have even put Klay on him, because it takes Klay out of help defense, and because besides Curry, no one has seen Kyrie more over their career than Klay has. No matter what, Kyrie was going to get his. But it worked out so that he not only got his, he got it for others too.

To give credit though, the trio of Kyrie/PJ/Gafford played exceptionally well and made it tougher. But it was a no win situation, and the team wasnt able to mitigate it enough to win
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#99 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:54 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:He’ll pass up a shot to drive into the lane and pick up his dribble

**** if this doesnt get me angry every single time.. he starts off aggressive for a quick second but is then like nah, gets into trouble and kicks it back out. Get some lean muscle and lean into someone, or just cycle the ball out
vvoland
Senior

Post#100 » by vvoland » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:54 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:He’ll pass up a shot to drive into the lane and pick up his dribble

**** if this doesnt get me angry every single time.. he starts off aggressive for a quick second but is then like nah, gets into trouble and kicks it back out. Get some lean muscle and lean into someone, or just cycle the ball out

It's been tough shots getting blocked the last couple of times. Open looks turning into turnovers will get lots of players doghouse treatment.

What do the tracking numbers say about how quick his shot is? It seems super slow, from my couch. Defenders keep getting to the shot despite being late on the closeout or biting on the pump fake.

Return to Golden State Warriors