Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,088

Re: START Moody 

Post#61 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:12 am

michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:
michaelm wrote:The issue is whether the lineup works in the closing minutes, particularly when the team has a lead.

I'm sure there are sites that can give you lineup data in the 4th or in clutch time. Cleaning the glass isn't one of them so I'm out of luck..

FNQ/CDM-Stats probably can.

Not immediately anymore :/

But I just asked my buddy to send me over the clutch time data. I dont ever use by quarters anymore because the only one thats meaningful is the 1st, because ostensibly no one's given up on the game yet, and its starters vs starters so you get the best idea of each team's best punch
vvoland
Senior
And1: 109

Post#62 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:45 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Predictable as hell. Klay has a mini-run on the bench so of course that proves that he doesnt belong there, even though the entire year he's done better against backups and playing with CP3/size

I know its ultimately Kerr's fault, and also Klay's for the way he plays, but I'm irrationally angry at Podz for all this. Score the **** ball man. Shoot more, hunt for your shot, because if he did, maybe Kerr doesnt look to make a change. And we all knew that Moody was never going to get the start over a healthy Klay, Kerr flat out refuses the notion. So Podz got the opportunity, played Podz-sketball like does (which is still great, but not what we needed to put this **** to bed), and now he's back to being a reserve and we're right back where we started, except TJD's the one who is now going to be benched so we can go back to the already failed lineup of Curry-Klay-Wiggins-JK-Dray

Because THIS TIME, I really think it will work. For no **** reason

Ummm, this lineup is +18pts per 100 possessions in 337 possessions, this season. Meaning they've outscored their opponent by 60 points in 3.3 games. Already failed? really? With so much to criticize with this year's team and lineup selection, this is the hill to die on?

First off, I dont think you understand what dying on a hill means. And so I'm going to ignore that nonsense and give an actual answer, for people who might have the same question but aren't trying to pick a fight with literally the entire board, because the shtick is old already

Because yes, failed. It started out white hot then petered out. It was going so well that Kerr arbitrarily took Klay out of the SL to put Podz in. Because they started out pummeling some weaker teams - namely PHI, MEM, and UTA and had a much, much higher +/-, and then were handled by actual playoff teams. To michael's point, they were still a net positive with the 5 together.

But this is where statistical literacy comes into play, because the data itself is useless if not applied correctly. When they took Kuminga out of the reserve squad, and effectively placed him in the lineup for Looney, if left the bench effectively in shambles. CP3/GP2/Podz/Saric/Looney/Moody/TJD were the bench options then. The defense and offense suffered, there was an entire imbalance of skillsets, and if it werent for pummeling some crappy teams in a favorable schedule, that lineup would be closer to breaking even than the one with Podz in Klay's place. If you look at the effect on reserve units in both situations, its not even close.

Now that doesnt account for what the Podz lineup did against bad teams too - they also did well against them. Didnt run up the score as high against the bad teams, but still handily beat them. But more importantly, were a +5.3 (net100) against .500+ teams, whereas the one w Klay was a +1.3

And thats before factoring in that Kuminga @ PF and Dray @ C is not sustainable, especially not for as long as Kerr plays the starters together (16mpg roughly). Or before regularizing stats, like thinking Curry/Wiggins/Dray wont shoot a combined 50%+ from 3pt, that a significant falloff in better predictors like rebounding, fouls, turnovers won't eventually bottom out the impact, which it started to do before Kerr switched to Podz to immediately improved results. Its trap data and people who've been gambling a while see it coming a mile away.. a Curry hot streak and a smattering of weak opponents

This is why tracking >>>> metrics. Metrics have 0 context. Anyways, glad to see Kerr's taking stats at face value too, apparently. Not like we need him to be pinpoint to win :dontknow:

A bit of hyperbole or a somewhat poor choice of words and somehow "is that the hill to die on" is me trying to pick a fight? You're one of the more measured posters on this board and you've said far more inflammatory things, but ok...

Good argument about the bench units being starved of talent when JK and klay start. That makes sense. It's a bit different thab saying that starting 5 failed. It's not semantics, words matter. Saying that lineup failed isn't the same as saying the team's success suffers when those 5 start and play heavy minutes together.

Maybe podz or moody should start, to buttress the second unit. Maybe the second unit plays better now that tjd is playing, Saric is not, and podz seems to be scoring a bit better. If moody sustains the recent shooting, perhaps that second unit plays better. CP3 was also hurt for a big chunk of the games that starting unit played, I assume (jk didn't start till dray got suspended, dray came back mid Jan, cp3 got hurt a few weeks later). The bigger problems come from the second unit being small and not having anyone that can create a shot for himself. Not sure what fixes either issue but certainly makes the later less important with his scoring (assuming you agree his scoring is a benefit to the bench).

I think these are all relevant questions and both, tracking and metrics, would be useful in determining what the team should do going forward. Most importantly, when to change what they're doing because teams adjusted. I typically reject the notion that these answers are simple and obvious since the sport is hard to track and even harder to put metrics to. Plus, the other guys get paid too, so you'll have to adjust, unless the talent is just overwhelming.

What I can't figure out, and I hope you don't take this as me picking a fight, is why we've gone 20-10 in the last 30 games if Klay's role is so important to winning. I'm guessing it's a number of factors, but Klay has started, come off the bench, closed most games, didn't close a few others and it doesn't seem to have mattered, at least not in the last 30.

In all sincerity, what do the tracking numbers tell you about the last 30 games? What changed, other than dray came back from suspension, obviously.
vvoland
Senior

Post#63 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:46 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:
I'm sure there are sites that can give you lineup data in the 4th or in clutch time. Cleaning the glass isn't one of them so I'm out of luck..

FNQ/CDM-Stats probably can.

But I just asked my buddy to send me over the clutch time data. I dont ever use by quarters anymore because the only one thats meaningful is the 1st, because ostensibly no one's given up on the game yet, and its starters vs starters so you get the best idea of each team's best punch

For the same reason, wouldn't the third be just as relevant? Starters vs starters and very few games see someone throw in the towel in the third.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#64 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:01 am

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
michaelm wrote:FNQ/CDM-Stats probably can.

For the same reason, wouldn't the third be just as relevant? Starters vs starters and very few games see someone throw in the towel in the third.

Suppose it would, but doing anything by quarter is going to miss a lot of context. But also game could be in hand by then, adjustments may have been made.. its not starting from 0, which is ideal in most cases

But cant stress enough that by quarters is just not a good timeframe to use. Even most of the things labeled garbage time and crunch time and clutch time are still leaving a lot of open-ended questions. Idea with data analysis is to lower the amount of questions, like proving a case in court
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#65 » by michaelm » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:19 am

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
michaelm wrote:FNQ/CDM-Stats probably can.

In answer to your previous post obviously Green being back and Wiggins returning to form are major factors in them winning more games, even despite Curry getting injured, although Draymond giveth and Draymond also taketh away, him arguing with the officials in the denouement of close games has probably cost the team games.

If I am not misinterpreting FNQ what we are both arguing about is Klay’s value in the crucial moments of big games against the best teams, ie when the starters are all playing against each other at the start of games and at the end of games when the team has a lead. His overall numbers with certain combinations might be positive, but this might actually be an argument for an off the bench/6th man role.

We are spoilt by years of success obviously, but the fact that they have a better record in the last 30 games or whatever doesn’t mean they couldn’t have a still better record and not be floundering in 10th hoping to avoid a play in game against the Lakers, and losing games at the death when they had leads which in most ordinary circumstances should have translated into wins has been a problem even in that stretch. Whether contentions that Klay has been involved in said losses are backed up by statistics is what is now in question. As it stands your view seems to be that he should be there because you regard his shooting as sufficiently valuable, my view is that his lack of defense, rebounding and boxing out etc is too detrimental when these are what is most required rather than shooting when the team has a handy lead. Sure if he has had a hot shooting night or scoring is the prime requirement play him, and as per previous posts there are few better to take FTs at the close of a game in the NBA, although one of those players happens to also be on his team.
vvoland
Senior

Post#66 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:23 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Suppose it would, but doing anything by quarter is going to miss a lot of context. But also game could be in hand by then, adjustments may have been made.. its not starting from 0, which is ideal in most cases

But cant stress enough that by quarters is just not a good timeframe to use. Even most of the things labeled garbage time and crunch time and clutch time are still leaving a lot of open-ended questions. Idea with data analysis is to lower the amount of questions, like proving a case in court

100% agree with this. Anything as general as "by quarter" seems statistically irrelevant.

On a different note, you've mentioned a number of times that the only issue with Wiggins early in the season was the shooting. Is there really nothing in the tracking metrics that show declines in other areas?

I saw a timid player that didn't attack the rim, didn't have the explosiveness on rebounds or finishes, didn't actually rebound, turned it over more (mostly on the dribble) and was generally completely out of sync. His shooting actually recovered by December, if not sooner but he just want the player we saw before his injury last season or the guy in the playoffs two years ago. He also wasn't the suffocating defender I saw last night and on a fairly regular basis in 21-22 and early last season.

Not having tracking data, there's isn't much outside the traditional box score stats to look at and the best support I can find is not something I have much faith in (fga, a/to, steals/blocks).

I'm curious what, if anything, looks different the last week or so and the first 20 games? It's been a noticable difference since the Miami game and even against the Spurs the other night, despite being 2-12, be was forceful on both ends.
vvoland
Senior

Post#67 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:34 am

michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

In answer to your previous post obviously Green being back and Wiggins returning to form are major factors in them winning more games, even despite Curry getting injured, although Draymond giveth and Draymond also taketh away, him arguing with the officials in the denouement of close games has probably cost the team games.

If I am not misinterpreting FNQ what we are both arguing about is Klay’s value in the crucial moments of big games against the best teams, ie when the starters are all playing against each other at the start of games and at the end of games when the team has a lead. His overall numbers with certain combinations might be positive, but this might actually be an argument for an off the bench/6th man role.

We are spoilt by years of success obviously, but the fact that they have a better record in the last 30 games or whatever doesn’t mean they couldn’t have a still better record and not be floundering in 10th hoping to avoid a play in game against the Lakers, and losing games at the death when they had leads which in most ordinary circumstances should have translated into wins has been a problem even in that stretch. Whether contentions that Klay has been involved in said losses are backed up by statistics is what is now in question. As it stands your view seems to be that he should be there because you regard his shooting as sufficiently valuable, my view is that his lack of defense, rebounding and boxing out etc is imo too detrimental when these are what is most required rather than shooting when the team has a handy lead. Sure if he has had a hot shooting night or scoring is the prime requirement play him, and as per previous posts there are few better to take FTs at the close of a game in the NBA, although one of those players is also on his team.

Sure, I agree Klay has cost this team down the stretch in close games. I just think there's plenty of blame to go around. Like the two OKC losses. On one, wigs doesn't foul on the catch even though he's right there. On the second, dray goes for the steal and then fouls chet on the shot.

And the turnovers, my god, the turnovers. Like the IST kings game or the Spurs game, where I would argue, Klay's three secured the win despite the awful Steph shots and TOs late. Didn't klay also have two buzzer beaters, this year?

In fact, I'd say Kerr's lack attention to detail probably cost this team the most. The lack of offense/defense substitutions late in close games. Not calling time outs for the last offensive possession. Not playing JK, or moody or tjd until it was painfully obvious he had to or, more often, due to injury or suspension. But this is why I'm asking the question, particularly to cdm. I wonder what the tracking metrics say about our performance late in games, as a team, and what changed recently, other than wigs and dray.
chococo
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#68 » by chococo » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:56 am

When the game is on the line and we need a stop, we should play with this lineup:

Green, Wiggins, TJD, GP2, Moody

Occassionally, sub Kuminga in if we need another big body.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#69 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:42 am

vvoland wrote:
Good argument about the bench units being starved of talent when JK and klay start. That makes sense. It's a bit different thab saying that starting 5 failed. It's not semantics, words matter. Saying that lineup failed isn't the same as saying the team's success suffers when those 5 start and play heavy minutes together.

Didnt see this, but this is ignoring the part where those numbers were beefed up against a couple bad opponents and then was just average against teams that were over .500. Also how it was steadily trending downwards after spiking from those games I mentioned. And, the most important part, its not sustainable. Looking at the results is only part of the pie, have to determine why the results are what they are, if its something that will hold up. Big drops in rebounding while seeing unrealistic spikes in 3pt%.. like I said, trap data. But most metrics and bare analysis, like net +/-, are susceptible to that. Thats why the analysis is the most important part

They can run that lineup if they want, and if the team is shooting nearly 50% from 3 when they're playing, then yeah, its gonna do well. Probably could say that about any lineup though.. what its floor? Well we saw that too, and it was bad enough that Kerr pulled the plug on it for Podz. But Podz couldnt score enough.. but thats all the tinkering Kerr was willing to do. Not Wiggins/JK/Dray/TJD, not throwing Moody in.. just bringing in the Iguodala type. Meh

I think these are all relevant questions and both, tracking and metrics, would be useful in determining what the team should do going forward. Most importantly, when to change what they're doing because teams adjusted. I typically reject the notion that these answers are simple and obvious since the sport is hard to track and even harder to put metrics to. Plus, the other guys get paid too, so you'll have to adjust, unless the talent is just overwhelming.

Simple answers are better for casual fans. And plenty of casual fans love of the game.. but for me if people really love the game, they want to understand why things happen. So yeah, agreed, metrics just dont give enough context to be standalone. Their biggest benefit is to help people win arguments online :lol:

Its a perpetual moving target.. perfection cant be achieved because what's perfect today won't be tomorrow. Warriors used to win with the overwhelming talent but cant anymore, so now being flexible is key, which is why I (and presumably others) are really pissed with Kerr's inflexibility in most things this year

What I can't figure out, and I hope you don't take this as me picking a fight, is why we've gone 20-10 in the last 30 games if Klay's role is so important to winning. I'm guessing it's a number of factors, but Klay has started, come off the bench, closed most games, didn't close a few others and it doesn't seem to have mattered, at least not in the last 30.

In all sincerity, what do the tracking numbers tell you about the last 30 games? What changed, other than dray came back from suspension, obviously.

Well Dray is the big domino, obviously. The other one was JK for Looney, because our perimeter defense, specifically CP3/Curry/Klay, is so poor now that its more key to cover ground than be in the correct position, because just the positioning isnt enough anymore. Not only do the above 3 have trouble staying with their men, they dont recover well either, and even if they do, they arent intimidating anyone with their closeouts. The defense spiked when Dray came back and JK was on the court, and that's just scratching the surface of the defensive potential. Integrating Moody and TJD can take it a step further, but that will come at the cost of Looney (rebounding) and Klay (shooting)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#70 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:05 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Didnt see this, but this is ignoring the part where those numbers were beefed up against a couple bad opponents and then was just average against teams that were over .500. Also how it was steadily trending downwards after spiking from those games I mentioned. And, the most important part, its not sustainable. Looking at the results is only part of the pie, have to determine why the results are what they are, if its something that will hold up. Big drops in rebounding while seeing unrealistic spikes in 3pt%.. like I said, trap data. But most metrics and bare analysis, like net +/-, are susceptible to that. Thats why the analysis is the most important part

They can run that lineup if they want, and if the team is shooting nearly 50% from 3 when they're playing, then yeah, its gonna do well. Probably could say that about any lineup though.. what its floor? Well we saw that too, and it was bad enough that Kerr pulled the plug on it for Podz. But Podz couldnt score enough.. but thats all the tinkering Kerr was willing to do. Not Wiggins/JK/Dray/TJD, not throwing Moody in.. just bringing in the Iguodala type. Meh

Simple answers are better for casual fans. And plenty of casual fans love of the game.. but for me if people really love the game, they want to understand why things happen. So yeah, agreed, metrics just dont give enough context to be standalone. Their biggest benefit is to help people win arguments online :lol:

Its a perpetual moving target.. perfection cant be achieved because what's perfect today won't be tomorrow. Warriors used to win with the overwhelming talent but cant anymore, so now being flexible is key, which is why I (and presumably others) are really pissed with Kerr's inflexibility in most things this year

Well Dray is the big domino, obviously. The other one was JK for Looney, because our perimeter defense, specifically CP3/Curry/Klay, is so poor now that its more key to cover ground than be in the correct position, because just the positioning isnt enough anymore. Not only do the above 3 have trouble staying with their men, they dont recover well either, and even if they do, they arent intimidating anyone with their closeouts. The defense spiked when Dray came back and JK was on the court, and that's just scratching the surface of the defensive potential. Integrating Moody and TJD can take it a step further, but that will come at the cost of Looney (rebounding) and Klay (shooting)

Since you credit dray and jk for the turnaround, how confident are you in jk, dray, and tjd trio with steph and klay? Kerr basically hinted that this could be a scenario. And, we might see this starting group vs the mavs tomorrow due to the wiggins injury.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,205

Post#71 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:43 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

Totally random timing on this shoutout, but your posts have helped shift me from a "really enthusiastic casual fan" to someone who stops and figures out who missed a rotation, why someone scored on us. I never used to do this. I give you credit for making me think about this stuff starting about 2 years ago, building over time. Not that I didn't rewind stuff to try and understand it sometimes, but it was usually offense. Now when we blow it on defense, I often pause and try to understand what happened out of curiosity.

Overdue acknowledgement!

:clap: :bowdown:
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#72 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:17 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Totally random timing on this shoutout, but your posts have helped shift me from a "really enthusiastic casual fan" to someone who stops and figures out who missed a rotation, why someone scored on us. I never used to do this. I give you credit for making me think about this stuff starting about 2 years ago, building over time. Not that I didn't rewind stuff to try and understand it sometimes, but it was usually offense. Now when we blow it on defense, I often pause and try to understand what happened out of curiosity.

Overdue acknowledgement!

:clap: :bowdown:

Cheers man, thats awesome.. its fun isnt it? Like doing detective work on basketball.. crazy thing is after a while you can start seeing things break down in real time (sometimes, its still really hard to do).

Funny enough I got started on this road because of someone on this site back in the old, pre-Curry days. Then an AC at Cal got me to start looking for "the first domino" on each play, still do that to this day
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#73 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:21 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Since you credit dray and jk for the turnaround, how confident are you in jk, dray, and tjd trio with steph and klay? Kerr basically hinted that this could be a scenario. And, we might see this starting group vs the mavs tomorrow due to the wiggins injury.

Moderate I guess? Klay/JK/TJD concerns me defensively, because if teams start diving into our defense, they'll know that pulling TJD out of the paint really has a negative effect. Klay's concerns obvious, and JK's coming back from injury and still a work in progress re: team defense. There's no real go-to man defender either that isnt Draymond, and he's needed close to the rim. Dallas is unique though in that they are so Luka-centric, that you need a premier defender on him. If Wiggins is out, they ought to turn to a combo of Moody/GP2/Klay/JK and see who gives him the most trouble, and ride that player. Much more likely that Kerr pre-determines how he wants it to go and rides that into the ground

I'd feel much better with Wiggins in for Klay and Klay returning to the bench role where he was doing well.. but reality is what it is
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#74 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:39 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Since you credit dray and jk for the turnaround, how confident are you in jk, dray, and tjd trio with steph and klay? Kerr basically hinted that this could be a scenario. And, we might see this starting group vs the mavs tomorrow due to the wiggins injury.

Moderate I guess? Klay/JK/TJD concerns me defensively, because if teams start diving into our defense, they'll know that pulling TJD out of the paint really has a negative effect. Klay's concerns obvious, and JK's coming back from injury and still a work in progress re: team defense. There's no real go-to man defender either that isnt Draymond, and he's needed close to the rim. Dallas is unique though in that they are so Luka-centric, that you need a premier defender on him. If Wiggins is out, they ought to turn to a combo of Moody/GP2/Klay/JK and see who gives him the most trouble, and ride that player. Much more likely that Kerr pre-determines how he wants it to go and rides that into the ground

I'd feel much better with Wiggins in for Klay and Klay returning to the bench role where he was doing well.. but reality is what it is

Have you noticed our defense being different the last 6 games? Not energy, but schemes compared to the previous. I'm wondering if it's just me.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#75 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:13 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Have you noticed our defense being different the last 6 games? Not energy, but schemes compared to the previous. I'm wondering if it's just me.

I havent really, but I havent been watching the games over like I used to. What are you seeing that looks different?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#76 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:38 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I havent really, but I havent been watching the games over like I used to. What are you seeing that looks different?

Not so much new, but more 2022 like.

I'm seeing more of a wiggs-dray 2 man defense where each are filling the scrambler role. They are the 2 that are moving sideline to sideline and blitzing timely doubles. This 2 seem to be shadowing the ball as much as their man. The other 3 guys are in a more stationary position covering an area.

We aren't really giving the easy switch. We are either fighting through screens and having steph tag or giving the screen but in spy position to give help.

We are using alot more doubles to speed up their offense with wiggs and dray stunting and recovering everywhere.

I'm thinking this wrinkle is because we have tjd protecting the rim which allows wiggs to spy and pressure up top with dray in the middle with the threat of a quick trap and help.

And we are using alot less zone.

I think timpf and viray saw the sane things, so now that's just 3 of us. :D
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#77 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:53 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

I'm seeing more of a wiggs-dray 2 man defense where each are filling the scrambler role. They are the 2 that are moving sideline to sideline and blitzing timely doubles. This 2 seem to be shadowing the ball as much as their man. The other 3 guys are in a more stationary position covering an area.

We aren't really giving the easy switch. We are either fighting through screens and having steph tag or giving the screen but in spy position to give help.

We are using alot more doubles to speed up their offense with wiggs and dray stunting and recovering everywhere.

I'm thinking this wrinkle is because we have tjd protecting the rim which allows wiggs to spy and pressure up top with dray in the middle with the threat of a quick trap and help.

Have seen that they are trying to switch back more, but mostly saw that in Dallas and I just wrote it off as Luka rules. I have seen the doubles too, but I'm not a big believer in that process unless there's an urgent need, and they seem to just deploy it whenever, at random

We'll see if it works, but I think the team, if used correctly, doesnt need to do the gimmicky ****. But will they be used correctly? Who knows..
vvoland
Senior

Post#78 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:05 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Have seen that they are trying to switch back more, but mostly saw that in Dallas and I just wrote it off as Luka rules. I have seen the doubles too, but I'm not a big believer in that process unless there's an urgent need, and they seem to just deploy it whenever, at random

We'll see if it works, but I think the team, if used correctly, doesnt need to do the gimmicky ****. But will they be used correctly? Who knows..

You also mentioned this in the game thread regarding Klay's flaming hot start to both the game and the 2nd half. Kerr just doesn't ride the hot hand (on offense or defense). He has his inflexible rotations and it takes an injury or getting blown out by a bad team (like when JK was out of the lineup and played in the 2nd half against por) for the rotations to change.

Kerr used to be the ultimate feel coach. Now he's like a pre-programmed excel file. Any theories?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,278

Post#79 » by xdrta+ » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:13 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

You also mentioned this in the game thread regarding Klay's flaming hot start to both the game and the 2nd half. Kerr just doesn't ride the hot hand (on offense or defense). He has his inflexible rotations and it takes an injury or getting blown out by a bad team (like when JK was out of the lineup and played in the 2nd half against por) for the rotations to change.

Kerr used to be the ultimate feel coach. Now he's like a pre-programmed excel file. Any theories?

I think the whole concept of "hot" and "cold" is deceptive. Klay may make shots when he's fresh and look hot, then miss as he tires and look cold. I do recall that when Klay started again after coming off the bench, Kerr said something like he does better in 5 minute stretches. (maybe it was longer but that was the idea.)
vvoland
Senior

Post#80 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:16 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I think the whole concept of "hot" and "cold" is deceptive. Klay may make shots when he's fresh and look hot, then miss as he tires and look cold. I do recall that when Klay started again after coming off the bench, Kerr said something like he does better in 5 minute stretches. (maybe it was longer but that was the idea.)

I think I would agree if Kerr allowed Klay to stay on the court while he's shooting well (like last night) and pulls him when he starts to fatigue (missing short, or missing at all). Instead, he pulls him at exactly the same time in the 1st and 3rd, regardless of how's he's playing.

Not just Klay, he did it with moody, steph (even cp3 had to step in, early in the year), JK.. he's an equal opportunity offender.

Return to Golden State Warriors