Rate the Playin Opponents

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,804

Rate the Playin Opponents 

Post#1 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:03 am

Thread to discuss which opponents are the toughest and easiest matchups for GSW in a one and done play-in game. Imagine the Warriors are the 7 seed and the opponent is the 8 seed. Which opponents is scariest? easiest? Rate them in order.

LAC, DAL, NOP, SAC, PNX, LAL, HOU

I will start. I will assume both teams are completely healthy except for anyone who has already been ruled as likely out for the playoffs.

From EASIEST to HARDEST:

1) Mavs: Gafford and Irving are very good fits next to Luka, so the Mavs are dangerous despite my ranking as the easiest opponent. I just will believe Luka can win an elimination game against Curry when I see it.

2) Kings: See Mavs. But Kings came close last time, so if weren't for Huerter being out for the season I would rate them tougher.

3) Rockets: I'm assuming Sengun is still out for the playin, and I think that helps the Rockets against GSW. The Rockets are a young team that is coming together. They have the athleticism over GS. It would be like the 2014 Warriors/Spurs series, with the Rockets as the Warriors, and the Warriors as the Spurs.

4) Pelicans: Ingram and Zion are likely 100 for the playoffs. Herb is a very good defender against Curry. McCollum and Murphy are potent. This would be a series where the GS bench would need to dominate the PEL bench, because the PEL starters are a load.

5) Suns: I would probably put the Suns on the easier side of the list, but we all know that Klay will spaz out against Booker and go 4 for 23. Suns have champ talent but they'd rather have May off.

6) Clippers: I'm assuming their code is healthy. Clippers are difficult to deal with. They are a well rounded team that score from most spots on the floor with efficiency, and that can defend the perimeter and point of attack. If they drew as many fouls against GSW as the Lakers do, they would be the clear #1 threat.

7) Lakers: No answer for AD. No answer for the refs.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Re: Rate the Playin Opponents 

Post#2 » by Warriorfan » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:38 pm

Warriors match up well with Pelicans, Kings and Suns.

We want the Lakers to be 6th seed.

NO has Ingram Zion day to day.

Game against Kings even if on the road would be like a home game.

Suns and Warriors would be a track meet and since it's one game I would bet on Curry to be the Superstar to take over
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,051

Post#3 » by Jester_ » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:41 pm

ABL: Anyone But LAL
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#4 » by Onus » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:09 pm

Easiest to Hardest
Rockets
Kings
Pelicans
LAC - if kawhi is out
LAL
Suns
Mavs
LAL Refs in LA

I think we can beat anyone but the Mavs and Suns in 1 game elimination would be tough. Just the tough shot making that they can have in a 1 game sample size with multiple closers. I do not want to play in Staples against he Lakers. Steph is trash in Staples, the refs are even worse.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#5 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:20 pm

Mavs haven’t changed imo since 2023 in that you only worry about two guys on offense and they don’t play great defense.

The Kings would be intense but with Monk and Huerter out they are just a weaker team.

The Rockets aren’t even in the equation.

The Pelicans would be tough, they are bigger and faster than us. The Pelicans have all the physical advantages.

The Suns probably being 2nd toughest. We can account for game planning and matching up with two great offensive players, but three is another story finding matchups.

The Lakers is the worst and likely the one we get. We have no answer for AD, he’s the toughest matchup in the NBA for us. LeBron is LeBron. D-Lo and Reaves can both run hot. They beat us last year by double the number of free throws. The level of passing and shooting on our part has to be absolutely elite to overcome spotting them 20-30 free throws.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#6 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:35 pm

If dray-wiggs-tjd continue to lock teams on defense then i dont care who we play. Steph will be steph.

Defense wins in the playoffs. Offense wins in the regular season.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#7 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:39 pm

Losing to the Kings would piss me off all season.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#8 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:29 pm

At this point, the only realistic options are Lakers and Kings in the first play-in round.

I want the Kings.

1) short trip, no planes
2) they're sputtering now, have lost 5 of their last 10
3) lots of Dub fans would be at Arco (or whatever they call it now)
4) they have not seen a lot of our secret weapon, TJD yet, and I think he matches up well with Sabonis
5) they are #24 in personal fouls and #21 in FTA, both the lowest among all the play-in teams except GS, and good for us
6) maybe they're confident because they almost beat us last year, but maybe that bitter loss is in their heads and they still can't figure out how they lost
7) even though the Kings have a lot of talent and Steph is on the decline a bit, we still would decisively have the best player in the series

In order of most to least scary for me (assuming everyone on both teams is healthy, but they probably won't be) are LAL, DAL, PHX, LAC, SAC, NO.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,804

Post#9 » by floppymoose » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:15 am

Suns lost to Pels. Could Warriors/Suns end up 9/10? Or 7/8?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#10 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:45 am

If there is 5 way tie GS gets 6th seed
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#11 » by michaelm » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:14 am

Warriorfan wrote:If there is 5 way tie GS gets 6th seed

Unlikely but the FT takers might have some incentive to beat the Pelicans because this would mean all of their potential opponents except GSW were slumping (EDIT gone now).
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#12 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 am

I think overtaking the suns was a long shot anyways, so the suns?clippers game had little bearing.

Its tomorrow Kings/Pelicans game that is the big one. If Kings lose, we are in play for the 8th. If they win, then we can essentially give up on 8th.

Then its whether we want to rest players to stay in 10th or fight for 9th.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#13 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:32 am

Lakers with help from the refs is scary.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#14 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:09 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Lakers with help from the refs is scary.

Not if we beat the pelicans and suns beat the kings tomorrow night

Return to Golden State Warriors