Cam
11%

Total votes: 9

vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Podz v Cam 

Post#1 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:13 pm

On the heels of last night's game, wanted to throw this out there. I mean for the warriors, for this year and the future. Also, let's assume Cam's knee isn't great but not something that's expected to implode during his rookie deal.

I'm going with Cam but, considering they're diametrically opposite type of players, this is probably more of an indication as to the type of player people want.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Re: Podz v Cam 

Post#2 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:59 pm

Podz.

You can find a Cam in every draft and annual free agency. We have a similar players in JK and Wiggs on the roster. An unselfish lead guard with good handles, passing, scoring, and rebounding that can be trusted to run an offense is a much more rare find. He's already doing in year 1 things that took players like Brunson, VanVleet, and even Steph a few years to learn.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#3 » by Onus » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:14 pm

Give me podz. Cam wouldn’t get any playing time here and we already have a player like cam in jk, who doesn’t really fit.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
vvoland
Senior

Post#4 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:16 pm

billinder33 wrote:Podz.

You can find a Cam in every draft and annual free agency. We have a similar players in JK and Wiggs on the roster. An unselfish lead guard with good handles, passing, scoring, and rebounding that can be trusted to run an offense is a much more rare find. He's already doing in year 1 things that took players like Brunson, VanVleet, and even Steph a few years to learn.

I'd argue he can't really score, and that's against 2nd units. I guess I just don't see him as a lead guard. Not saying you're wrong but if I thought his ceiling was brunson, I think it's much lower after watching him the last few months. Also, he's like the same age as JK (maybe podz is ~6 months younger).
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 938

Post#5 » by dk1115 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:20 am

not gonna lie, i thought ty jerome was the least athletic guard ive ever seen, but it's actually podz
vvoland
Senior

Post#6 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:29 pm

dk1115 wrote:not gonna lie, i thought ty jerome was the least athletic guard ive ever seen, but it's actually podz

podz has a decent first step but after that, it gets pretty bad, athleticism wise. I'm more curious as to why he has 0 off the dribble game except the two hardest versions: step back or floater/runner. I thought if someone could shoot those type of shots, pulling up off the dribble should be way easier. if he can't get to the step back, podz will literally take a one foot runner from 3 instead of pulling up.
Onus
RealGM

Post#7 » by Onus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:56 pm

vvoland wrote:
dk1115 wrote:not gonna lie, i thought ty jerome was the least athletic guard ive ever seen, but it's actually podz

podz has a decent first step but after that, it gets pretty bad, athleticism wise. I'm more curious as to why he has 0 off the dribble game except the two hardest versions: step back or floater/runner. I thought if someone could shoot those type of shots, pulling up off the dribble should be way easier. if he can't get to the step back, podz will literally take a one foot runner from 3 instead of pulling up.

Last game he actually did some pull ups and step backs in the mid range. Which was great to see. He’ll need to utilize it to get more shots up.
vvoland
Senior

Post#8 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:55 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Last game he actually did some pull ups and step backs in the mid range. Which was great to see. He’ll need to utilize it to get more shots up.

I must have missed it. when?
Onus
RealGM

Post#9 » by Onus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:44 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

https://youtu.be/KzN3tjV-yqM?si=A6vUB5oAigpmEbQ7&t=81

Looks like he had this 1 step back in the mid range. I think I was also including his quicker shot 3s as well. I think he also had another mid range shot in the the dallas game as well.
vvoland
Senior

Post#10 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:15 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:Last game he actually did some pull ups and step backs in the mid range. Which was great to see. He’ll need to utilize it to get more shots up.

Looks like he had this 1 step back in the mid range. I think I was also including his quicker shot 3s as well. I think he also had another mid range shot in the the dallas game as well.

I must have misread your comment. He does have a mid range game - step backs, pivots and floaters/runners. It's the pull up off the dribble that I was commenting on. He just seems unable to dribble forward, stop, and then shoot. It's like he needs to either go to the step back or do a one foot runner (like that 3 to end one of the quarters in the jazz game). It's just so weird and i'm not sure I've even seen another player that has that type of offensive game.
Onus
RealGM

Post#11 » by Onus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:21 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

I must have misread your comment. He does have a mid range game - step backs, pivots and floaters/runners. It's the pull up off the dribble that I was commenting on. He just seems unable to dribble forward, stop, and then shoot. It's like he needs to either go to the step back or do a one foot runner (like that 3 to end one of the quarters in the jazz game). It's just so weird and i'm not sure I've even seen another player that has that type of offensive game.

I'm not sure he should have pull up tbh. He's too short, not athletic and not long enough to just stop and shoot most times. He'll most likely will need that step back, side step, runner type shots in the mid range. He's gotten more aggressive in the last 2 games. Let's see if it continues.
vvoland
Senior

Post#12 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:46 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:https://youtu.be/KzN3tjV-yqM?si=A6vUB5oAigpmEbQ7&t=81

I'm not sure he should have pull up tbh. He's too short, not athletic and not long enough to just stop and shoot most times. He'll most likely will need that step back, side step, runner type shots in the mid range. He's gotten more aggressive in the last 2 games. Let's see if it continues.

It's like Brunson. If he wants to be at that level, at his size and lack of athleticism, he needs the entire bag. Pull ups (missing), post ups (has it), fadeaways (kinda), spot up (has it), layup package (missing), step backs (best move), leaners/floaters/runners (has it).

Someone like JK (or Cam, to bring it back to this thread) can have a few of those categories and not the others due to their overwhelming athleticism and strength. Podz needs them all to be a starter level guard in the league.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#13 » by TB » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:03 pm

I like Podz much more than Cam. Podz is a winning player where-as Cam is one of my least favorite types of players. If we felt bad comparing Kuminga to Maggette, just know Cam is way more like Maggette than JK has ever been.

I also like Kuminga much more than Cam. Even if you go by Cam rookie year vs Kuminga rookie year, per 100 possessions they are very similar with Kuminga showing more flashes on defense or as a passer. I also think he's stronger and more athletic. Cam might have slightly better handles and hands at that age though.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#14 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:43 pm

vvoland wrote:

It seems to me that better version of the most average player is quite popular with realgm team building wanna be gms type fans.

I lean a bit more towards a collection of specialty players to-be juggled by the coach.

Podz is kind of unique in a few ways. His energy is usually good. Love his rebounding. He has court vision and is turning into a point guard.

From draft time I thought Podz was supposed to be a shard shooting high volume gunner; what happened to that guy? Was the high volume gunner never real?

Podz foot speed might be like Curry’s where the actual physical foot speed is below average but the mind speed being above average mitigates the poor foot speed some.

I don’t really know Cam. What? Is cam a basically average player who can excite with athletic ability onece or twice per game? So average player with slightly above average athletic ability but aveage basketball skills.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#15 » by TB » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:30 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
vvoland wrote:

It seems to me that better version of the most average player is quite popular with realgm team building wanna be gms type fans.

I lean a bit more towards a collection of specialty players to-be juggled by the coach.

Podz is kind of unique in a few ways. His energy is usually good. Love his rebounding. He has court vision and is turning into a point guard.

From draft time I thought Podz was supposed to be a shard shooting high volume gunner; what happened to that guy? Was the high volume gunner never real?

Podz foot speed might be like Curry’s where the actual physical foot speed is below average but the mind speed being above average mitigates the poor foot speed some.

I don’t really know Cam. What? Is cam a basically average player who can excite with athletic ability onece or twice per game? So average player with slightly above average athletic ability but aveage basketball skills.

Podz has never really been a high volume gunner. He was Santa Clara's lead guard and took the most shots, but he was around 25 usage along with another player on their team. And he's always been a willing passer. That even showed more in the pre-draft combine when he was racking up assists in the scrimmages.

As for Cam, hes a scorer that uses his athleticism to dominate in transition or isolation. Similar to Kuminga in that regard. They both need to prove they can shoot it in order to really unlock their scoring. Then they need to prove they can not be a black hole on offense and can keep the ball moving when needed. Kuminga has shown a lot of flashes of this, Cam has never shown this from what I've seen.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#16 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:47 pm

Can Whitmore take charges?

That's a Podz for me then.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,046

Post#17 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:02 pm

The path to being a consistent, useful contributor is much, much clearer for Podz

The upside is owned by Cam though... that said, its unlikely he achieves it in a way that makes him more valuable than Podz.

Really early to definitively say, but give me the higher floor guy in the 2nd half of the 1st round. If this was the lottery, I'd be singing an entirely different tune, because presumably we'd be talking about better players/prospects, and at that stage the upside might be worth it
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#18 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:08 am

CDM_Stats wrote:The path to being a consistent, useful contributor is much, much clearer for Podz

The upside is owned by Cam though... that said, its unlikely he achieves it in a way that makes him more valuable than Podz.

Really early to definitively say, but give me the higher floor guy in the 2nd half of the 1st round. If this was the lottery, I'd be singing an entirely different tune, because presumably we'd be talking about better players/prospects, and at that stage the upside might be worth it

Cam owns the physical upside but Podz owns the mental upside.
Most of the pundits thought the 2022 Celtics would dominate the 2022 Warriors in the finals because the physical athletes are easier to understand than the mental athletes.

So many Cams playing in the current NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors