ImageImageImageImageImage

4/5 Game 77 - Warriors (42-34) @ Mavericks (46-30) 5:30pm

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

vvoland
Senior
And1: 109

Re: 4/5 Game 77 - Warriors (42-34) @ Mavericks (46-30) 5:30pm 

Post#201 » by vvoland » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:57 am

jozef wrote:I cannot believe it - you have a video evidence...
Stop it at 6.8 seconds to go: Hardaway is in the air, the ball is out of his hands and TJD is still on the floor. TJD did not know Hardaway's decision (Timmy himself made it in split of second), TJD just reacted to his lob pass, it could be an alley oop finish.

Dray had no chance to rotate to Jones who was further than Washington who was the only one he could get soon enough.

There was GP on Kyrie and there was absolutely no need to double him. We allow open shot instead of contested shot and I really doubt that Steve instructed him that way.

You're right, he wasn't in the air when hardaway released the ball. He had, however, stepped up to hardaway and, I think, committed himself to the jump considering it's not a decision he made in less than .1 seconds. Once he stepped out of the restricted area and came up to thj, both passes became viable and I don't think tjd is in position to take away either pass.

He had no impact on thj's pass or on PJ's catch. If anything, dray is the one that prevented the alley with his tip attempt and late contact on pj. We can agree to disagree since neither of us know what tjd or dray were thinking or what their instructions on that play are.

Speaking of which, you really think Kerr went over the defensive assignments and dray was like, f that, I'm doubling Kyrie on the catch? I wasn't in the huddle or anything but I'm pretty sure the defense was set up to not let Kyrie go 1v1
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,513

Post#202 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:26 am

Romulus wrote:Gafford made a huge difference didn't he? Both he and TJD have an ability to alter shots at the rim. Now, just imagine the Warriors making the trade for Gafford at the deadline. Imagine having two guys at the center position that can do that kind of damage for 48 minutes. It allows Draymond to always be a 4. I'm sorry that's a game changer for the season. And yet, there you have Dunleavy Jr. after the deadline saying he didn't see a trade that could move the needle.

Disgusting.

Better yet, imagine if we could have included Gafford in the Poole/CP3 trade.

I kid you not, when I saw the news of the trade, I was deeply rooting we got Gafford coming in... major disappointment for me that day.

It's not like Kerr would have used him the right way if that happened, on the other hand... :lol:
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,690

Post#203 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:45 am

billinder33 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
svart wrote:this board is turning into a pro/klay - anti/klay war, with every party rubbing it to the other depending on the type of game he has.

and it's disgusting.

Yes, this is certainly not the game to call him out on, Moody hardly auditioned well to be his replacement as a starter.

I've never understood this board's fascination with Moody. We're all waiting for players to show they can take over for the faltering 'core', and in theory Moody should be in pole position for that honor,. But right now he's behind Podz, Wiggs, TJD, and JK. 3 years in, he's just mediocre/fine/ok with no defining skill to hang his hat on.

He just doesn't look much different than when he was drafted. Same body, slightly improved floor game, roughly the same shooting efficiency thanks to this season's decline. I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't work hard enough on his game or if he's capped by his athleticism. IMO there should be more growth than there has been. He's only 21 so the book isn't completely written, but at this point I'm not convinced that his game is going anywhere, and I don't think the issue is "Kerr" or "opportunity". Maybe year 4 will be different?

Still some upside hope I guess, but this is starting to look like an 'NBA warm body' career.

It is good that Moody has long arms but long arms alone does not make a guy into a good defender. Moody is not an elite defender.
Moody is a better defender than Klay but that is not saying much. Klay sometimes hurts the team by being a chucker while cold. Klay is a better decoy than Moody. Klay’s defender does not leave Klay to help on somebody else. Moody is not feared on offense.

Offense vs defense. It does not matter much whether Klay plays or Moody plays but sometimes it does matter which of them plays which is Kerr’s job. Kerr is not an elite coach but replacing Kerr with a random average coach probably makes the team worse. I do not want to fire Kerr but I would like to give Kerr a few better assistant coaches.

Mody is not as good of a defender as some of his supporters think he is.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#204 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:27 am

Moody is not a poa defender, he's a help defender. He's a better poa defender than klay, jk, or podz but that isn't saying much. Irving toasts 90% of the defenders in front of him. Moody only started on kyrie because wiggins was out. And if Moody would have started next to Wiggins, he likely would have been on pj and not let him drop 30 on us.

Moody is our 3rd best perimeter defender and probably top 5 on this team. He got roasted by kyrie..kyrie Irving. Getting beat by kyrie doesn't mean you are a bad defender, maybe it means kyrie is pretty f..n.. good.
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#205 » by Nvnervous45 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:34 am

Moody doesn't have the lateral quickness of curry or even podz or paul to avoid defenders, nor the quick release they have. He's more of a harrison barnes type spot up shooter. It's just his limitations.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#206 » by michaelm » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:37 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Moody is not a poa defender, he's a help defender. He's a better poa defender than klay, jk, or podz but that isn't saying much. Irving toasts 90% of the defenders in front of him. Moody only started on kyrie because wiggins was out. And if Moody would have started next to Wiggins, he likely would have been on pj and not let him drop 30 on us.

Moody is our 3rd best perimeter defender and probably top 5 on this team. He got roasted by kyrie..kyrie Irving. Getting beat by kyrie Durant mean you are a bad defender, maybe it means kyrie is pretty f..n.. good.

Exactly, People seem to have forgotten Kyrie’s role in defeating a much better GSW team when Klay had his full powers.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#207 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:47 am

Nvnervous45 wrote:Moody doesn't have the lateral quickness of curry or even podz or paul to avoid defenders, nor the quick release they have. He's more of a harrison barnes type spot up shooter. It's just his limitations.

It's people's expectations that are the issue, especially the pro klay group. No one is complaining that tjd isn't Hakeem olajuwon. Moody has the potential to be an elite role player, not a 1st or 2nd option star. But people who love klay immediately jump to Moody should lock kyrie, should drop 20 ppg etc..If he can't lock kyrie then is a bad defender. fyi, klay isn't that player anymore either.

Ostensibly he had some issues. Dray said recently that playing with steph and klay is the hardest thing to overcome because the instinct is too defer. We've seen this with Moody. Watch him during the last month when he's been out there with cp3 or with Wiggins. He's much more confident and hesitates less on those same jumpers. He simply didn't get the reps and that's on Kerr.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 456

Post#208 » by superunknown » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:10 am

svart wrote:
superunknown wrote:
svart wrote:
dude, do you realize that we also missed wiggs and kuminga, and were on a b2b?

the fck are we talking about? chill, dude.

DAL was on b2b as well and without doncic (and half their frontcourt). the playfield was even.

Yeah, even. You just forgot to mention it earlier. Dallas is a good team, we lost to a good team. It happens.

DAL is a good team with doncic. without him it's not that good. better than GS without curry for sure (given their record without him), but still bot such a good team.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 456

Post#209 » by superunknown » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:18 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Nvnervous45 wrote:Moody doesn't have the lateral quickness of curry or even podz or paul to avoid defenders, nor the quick release they have. He's more of a harrison barnes type spot up shooter. It's just his limitations.

It's people's expectations that are the issue, especially the pro klay group. No one is complaining that tjd isn't Hakeem olajuwon. Moody has the potential to be an elite role player, not a 1st or 2nd option star. But people who love klay immediately jump to Moody should lock kyrie, should drop 20 ppg etc..If he can't lock kyrie then is a bad defender. fyi, klay isn't that player anymore either.

Ostensibly he had some issues. Dray said recently that playing with steph and klay is the hardest thing to overcome because the instinct is too defer. We've seen this with Moody. Watch him during the last month when he's been out there with cp3 or with Wiggins. He's much more confident and hesitates less on those same jumpers. He simply didn't get the reps and that's on Kerr.

if I'm not mistaken, HB's been a starter in this league for how many years now? moody should've started and eaten 30% of klay's minutes from the beginning of the season rather than collecting DNPs half of the time.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#210 » by jozef » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:21 pm

vvoland wrote:
Stop it at 6.8 seconds to go: Hardaway is in the air, the ball is out of his hands and TJD is still on the floor. TJD did not know Hardaway's decision (Timmy himself made it in split of second), TJD just reacted to his lob pass, it could be an alley oop finish.

Dray had no chance to rotate to Jones who was further than Washington who was the only one he could get soon enough.

There was GP on Kyrie and there was absolutely no need to double him. We allow open shot instead of contested shot and I really doubt that Steve instructed him that way.

You're right, he wasn't in the air when hardaway released the ball. He had, however, stepped up to hardaway and, I think, committed himself to the jump considering it's not a decision he made in less than .1 seconds. Once he stepped out of the restricted area and came up to thj, both passes became viable and I don't think tjd is in position to take away either pass.

He had no impact on thj's pass or on PJ's catch. If anything, dray is the one that prevented the alley with his tip attempt and late contact on pj. We can agree to disagree since neither of us know what tjd or dray were thinking or what their instructions on that play are.

Speaking of which, you really think Kerr went over the defensive assignments and dray was like, f that, I'm doubling Kyrie on the catch? I wasn't in the huddle or anything but I'm pretty sure the defense was set up to not let Kyrie go 1v1

TJD stepped up to the basket to protect the rim and Dray was too far to expect any help from him. Kyrie is the best ball handler and Dray played hero defense on him to run the clock out and instead of it he was late to rotate back. Two or three unnecessary steps cost them the possession. Gary Payton did not need any help to contest Kyrie's shot.
As a coach I would put Podz and Mood on the floor instead of CP and Klay for last defensive possession.
...As a coach I would put Mood and TJD (or GP) on the floor instead of CP and Podz for last offensive possession and I would use Steph as a decoy and focus on easy 2-point layup (say slip screen) to force the overtime.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 109

Post#211 » by vvoland » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:00 pm

jozef wrote:
vvoland wrote:

TJD stepped up to the basket to protect the rim and Dray was too far to expect any help from him. Kyrie is the best ball handler and Dray played hero defense on him to run the clock out and instead of it he was late to rotate back. Two or three unnecessary steps cost them the possession. Gary Payton did not need any help to contest Kyrie's shot.
As a coach I would put Podz and Mood on the floor instead of CP and Klay for last defensive possession.
...As a coach I would put Mood and TJD (or GP) on the floor instead of CP and Podz for last offensive possession and I would use Steph as a decoy and focus on easy 2-point layup (say slip screen) to force the overtime.

I don't think it was hero defense but what they planned in the TO - double Kyrie and force anyone else to beat you. I'd probably move gp2 to hardaway and put klay on Kyrie, knowing that dray will double immediately. Doubling with gp2 and dray seems like a waste of the two best defenders. Kyrie did the right thing by dragging the double as high as he did, giving hardaway a lot of room to play the 4v3.

If dray peels off early, Kyrie resets and has his 1v1 against gp2 with a long runway. Not sure I want that matchup to determine the game but Kerr clearly wanted Irving to give up the ball.

Tjd did step up to protect the rim, I just don't think he needed to do so and I would be fine with hardaway taking the shot. Fading left, shooting with his right with klay tight on that right shoulder. If tjd never steps up to hardaway, he's in position for either pass and the rebound. I'm not even saying tjd made a mistake, just that it was unnecessary to step up to hardaway on that play. Can't really blame tjd for thinking hardaway is shooting that thing, dude averages <2 assists per game.

Did anyone ask dray, Kerr or tjd postgame about that defensive possession and what the setup was supposed to be? I assume they didn't because the warriors press corps acts like the dubs sign their paychecks. You keep saying dray was glory hunting but that play looked like it was designed for dray to double as soon as Irving got the ball.

Agree on the slip screen or Steph as the decoy on the last possession, at least as the first action. That said, I don't think the dubs (meaning Kerr) had any interest in going to OT and wanted to end the game with a 3, one way or the other.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#212 » by jozef » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:19 pm

Forcing Kyrie to do something different was OK plan but once he ran to midcourt Dray should return and not following him.

I hate to shoot a 3 as first option on 2pt difference cause 3-point shot is under .500 percentage so mostly it does lead to a loss. From mental standpoint I rather prefer a high-percentage inside shot or foul and then force my will in overtime.

Return to Golden State Warriors