4/5 Game 77 - Warriors (42-34) @ Mavericks (46-30) 5:30pm

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 19

Re: 4/5 Game 77 - Warriors (42-34) @ Mavericks (46-30) 5:30pm 

Post#141 » by RUN-TJM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:24 am

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Worst loss of the year.

No luka. Half their big rotation is out.

And we still lose.

You already forgot about the spurs loss without wemby

You could stopped at, “spurs loss”…
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,046

Post#142 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:26 am

pummeling Klay is usually a safe bet, and I also thought it was weird that he was in on the defensive lineup, but I'm not sure what people are seeing out there

Klay played fine defense on THJ, who never even looked for his shot. He drove with the idea of waiting for someone to overcommit, and thats what TJD did, easy bucket. If THJ wanted to take a shot while he was driving parallel to the rim and down near the low block.. cool! That's a great outcome for the Warriors

Then on the inbounds, it was just the typical Steph improv to end the game, which hasnt worked at all this year. Not only that, the entire play was on one half of the halfcourt, so no possible spacing. As soon as CP3 passed the ball with about 1.2 left, it was over. Expecting Klay to catch the ball at his side, collect, square up and shoot in 0.8 seconds just isn't realistic. It was a bad idea and executed poorly
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#143 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:32 am

RUN-TJM wrote:
Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Worst loss of the year.

No luka. Half their big rotation is out.

And we still lose.

You already forgot about the spurs loss without wemby

You could stopped at, “spurs loss”…

I'm just bitter because the stars were aligned to make a jump into the 7/8 seed. We couldn't have asked for a better scoreboard outcome and have luka not play.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#144 » by WarriorGM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:33 am

Didn't watch the game so please correct me if I'm wrong but from the boxscore I get the sense Moody and TJD were in bad matchups for them and Kerr having bad feel for the game kept them in the poor situations for too long. If so this is a coaching loss.

Disappointing in any event. This is the kind of game one would expect them to win easily if they were serious contenders.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#145 » by Onus » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:33 am

CDM_Stats wrote:pummeling Klay is usually a safe bet, and I also thought it was weird that he was in on the defensive lineup, but I'm not sure what people are seeing out there

Klay played fine defense on THJ, who never even looked for his shot. He drove with the idea of waiting for someone to overcommit, and thats what TJD did, easy bucket. If THJ wanted to take a shot while he was driving parallel to the rim and down near the low block.. cool! That's a great outcome for the Warriors

Then on the inbounds, it was just the typical Steph improv to end the game, which hasnt worked at all this year. Not only that, the entire play was on one half of the halfcourt, so no possible spacing. As soon as CP3 passed the ball with about 1.2 left, it was over. Expecting Klay to catch the ball at his side, collect, square up and shoot in 0.8 seconds just isn't realistic. It was a bad idea and executed poorly

Everyone over helps when it’s Klay. Kyp

Also yes getting a wide open shot with .8 seconds left is as good of a shot you can ask for let alone for Klay. If it’s dray in that corner then yea not a good shot. But an open 3 for Klay is not a good shot? That’s wild. Really can’t even ask for a better shot.

But it was definitely a bad play call. It’s like they didn’t expect Dallas to double.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#146 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:38 am

Minus 23 Moody is no savior. Plus 5 Klay is not the kiss of death.
RUN-TJM
Senior

Post#147 » by RUN-TJM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:49 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Klay played fine defense on THJ, who never even looked for his shot. He drove with the idea of waiting for someone to overcommit, and thats what TJD did, easy bucket. If THJ wanted to take a shot while he was driving parallel to the rim and down near the low block.. cool! That's a great outcome for the Warriors

Klay shouldn’t have been out there. That’s on Kerr.

But Klay got waaaaay too close to THJ which allowed him to get inside and draw TJD. Play THJ straight and make them beat you.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#148 » by Onus » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:53 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Minus 23 Moody is no savior. Plus 5 Klay is not the kiss of death.

Moody didn’t play well at all but he probably shouldn’t be poa with Klay and curry running around behind him. Someone else should’ve been poa and had moody run around help and recovering.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#149 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:54 am

RUN-TJM wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Klay played fine defense on THJ, who never even looked for his shot. He drove with the idea of waiting for someone to overcommit, and thats what TJD did, easy bucket. If THJ wanted to take a shot while he was driving parallel to the rim and down near the low block.. cool! That's a great outcome for the Warriors

Klay shouldn’t have been out there. That’s on Kerr.

But Klay got waaaaay too close to THJ which allowed him to get inside and draw TJD. Play THJ straight and make them beat you.

Play THJ tight so he drives because who else would you want from Dallas taking that last shot? Who better to put pressure on than the guy who made mistake after mistake that night?

TJD wanted a block instead of playing good team defense, 100% on him. Put Looney in that spot and he hedges, leaving THJ either hanging in the air or taking a fallaway short shot with Klay trailing him. Not to mention that one horrible spacing guy on their team.. Jones Jr I think? He was running the baseline and was going to be in THJ's way too

I dont see a thing wrong with what Klay did there
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#150 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:56 am

Onus wrote:Also yes getting a wide open shot with .8 seconds left is as good of a shot you can ask for let alone for Klay.

on what planet? less than a second to catch the ball and then square up and shoot - borderline impossible. Teams have done much more with 4 seconds, to the Warriors, than the Warriors did tonight

Klay overall was fine but should be getting no blame for how the game ended. TJD and Kerr (I guess?) respectively blew the last 2 plays

I dusted off a defunct twitter account even for this:

Read on Twitter

Catch, turn his head, bend his knees, jump, release in a little under 0.8 seconds. Not even Steph is making that a good look
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#151 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:58 am

CDM_Stats wrote:pummeling Klay is usually a safe bet, and I also thought it was weird that he was in on the defensive lineup, but I'm not sure what people are seeing out there

Klay gave up a straight line to the rim up the middle forcing our defense to cave. It was vs guy with no first step and a bad handles. I mean it could have been worse, but he wasn't good either. Tjd was in a tough spot, I think it's hard to not over commit in that situation for most players. And I agree thj shooting is our best outcome. Come to think of it, maybe that's why klay was out there. To bait thj into trying to be the hero. :lol:

I dont blame klay for that last shot. I think he got a decent look, but it was a very tough shot. And he just missed. He shouldn't get any flack for that one.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#152 » by watch1958 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:01 am

michaelm wrote:A guy GSW could have had I imagine is Dante Exum, which iirc Coxy advocated. Good defensive player who would have been a good fit.
The curse of Poole. His bloated salary meant we had to trade for CP3. Once we had CP3, we wouldn’t have been attractive to a point guard trying to come back to the NBA.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#153 » by watch1958 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:03 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Minus 23 Moody is no savior. Plus 5 Klay is not the kiss of death.

What was -26 TJD?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,289

Post#154 » by mademan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:04 am

That Klay play was absolutely Klay's fault. He got beat by THJ and TJD is supposed to help there. THJ is slow and has a weak handle, so Klay was able to recover, but when a guys beat, the instinct from the big is to help. A great defender like Green may have read the situation quickly and realized THJ isnt scoring from that position over Klay, but you cant expect a rookie to pick that up. He saw Klay get beat and he rotated like youre supposed to
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#155 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:04 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Klay gave up a straight line to the rim up the middle forcing our defense to cave. It was vs guy with no first step and a bad handles. I mean it could have been worse, but he wasn't good either. Tjd was in a tough spot, I think it's hard to not over commit in that situation for most players. And I agree thj shooting is our best outcome. Come to think of it, maybe that's why klay was out there. To bait thj into trying to be the hero. :lol:

I dont blame klay for that last shot. I think he got a decent look, but it was a very tough shot. And he just missed. He shouldn't get any flack for that one.

Not quite. He gave him a straight line right outside the key, that's funneling and the team has done it for years. The key is not to let them turn the corner, and THJ (of course) wasn't thinking ahead and picked up his dribble where he'd either be shooting while his momentum took him out of bounds, or he'd be trying to force a pass through the middle where we should have had a big man

Its not the easiest play for TJD of course, but if THJ was shooting, he couldnt do anything about it anyways, he was too far away to challenge. In the funnel defense the low man's job is to hedge and he didnt, he took a running leap at THJ. Now if he did it earlier, maybe it would have worked because Dray was coming down, but had to stop because TJD was in that space.. so earlier or not at all would have likely both worked
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#156 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:07 am

mademan wrote:That Klay play was absolutely Klay's fault. He got beat by THJ and TJD is supposed to help there. THJ is slow and has a weak handle, so Klay was able to recover, but when a guys beat, the instinct from the big is to help. A great defender like Green may have read the situation quickly and realized THJ isnt scoring from that position over Klay, but you cant expect a rookie to pick that up. He saw Klay get beat and he rotated like youre supposed to

lol like almost of this isnt true, especially in the Warriors system

- Klay was on his hip as soon as the drive started
- bigs in our system hedge, not run up for blocks
- THJ was late in doing that and prevented Dray from sealing out PJ Washington

Sure, dont expect the kid to do it right. But then dont play him, because no matter how much you guys want to blame Klay for this, he did his job and the rookie didn't
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#157 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:08 am

watch1958 wrote:

What was -26 TJD?

Imo, dray/tjd doesnt work without wiggins up top.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#158 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:22 am

Suns best the wolves. Grayson is turning into a player, great pick up for them.
RUN-TJM
Senior

Post#159 » by RUN-TJM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:51 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:Also yes getting a wide open shot with .8 seconds left is as good of a shot you can ask for let alone for Klay.

on what planet? less than a second to catch the ball and then square up and shoot - borderline impossible. Teams have done much more with 4 seconds, to the Warriors, than the Warriors did tonight

Klay overall was fine but should be getting no blame for how the game ended. TJD and Kerr (I guess?) respectively blew the last 2 plays

I dusted off a defunct twitter account even for this:

Read on Twitter

Catch, turn his head, bend his knees, jump, release in a little under 0.8 seconds. Not even Steph is making that a good look

I agree with your take here. That was a tough shot for anybody.
RUN-TJM
Senior

Post#160 » by RUN-TJM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:56 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
mademan wrote:That Klay play was absolutely Klay's fault. He got beat by THJ and TJD is supposed to help there. THJ is slow and has a weak handle, so Klay was able to recover, but when a guys beat, the instinct from the big is to help. A great defender like Green may have read the situation quickly and realized THJ isnt scoring from that position over Klay, but you cant expect a rookie to pick that up. He saw Klay get beat and he rotated like youre supposed to

lol like almost of this isnt true, especially in the Warriors system

- Klay was on his hip as soon as the drive started
- bigs in our system hedge, not run up for blocks
- THJ was late in doing that and prevented Dray from sealing out PJ Washington

Sure, dont expect the kid to do it right. But then dont play him, because no matter how much you guys want to blame Klay for this, he did his job and the rookie didn't

I’ve decided we are talking about different things. My point is Klay could’ve played him straight and played him for the drive (THJ would’ve thought it’s best if Kyrie takes the shot) which would’ve bought us more time and given Klay the ability to force him wider.

I don’t disagree that TJD was in the middle of nowhere. He’ll learn. Seems very coachable.

Return to Golden State Warriors