ImageImageImageImageImage

4/9 Game79 Warriors (43-35) @ Lakers (46-34) 7pm on TNT

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,048

Re: 4/9 Game79 Warriors (43-35) @ Lakers (46-34) 7pm on TNT 

Post#181 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:19 pm

MintFresh wrote:So what happened with Wiggins? It seems like he's turning it on at the end of the season? Where was this Wiggins all season? So inconsistent. I think they should trade him at his highest value this offseason and just go with Kuminga. Those two overlap too much on talent.

They barely overlap at all.. and Wiggins has been a very solid player with exception of his scoring slump to start the season

It would honestly make more sense to trade Kuminga than Wiggins. But probably dont want to do that either if the team is trying to win in the present, because Kuminga's best skill is one that the rest of the team doesnt have
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#182 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:27 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
MintFresh wrote:So what happened with Wiggins? It seems like he's turning it on at the end of the season? Where was this Wiggins all season? So inconsistent. I think they should trade him at his highest value this offseason and just go with Kuminga. Those two overlap too much on talent.

They barely overlap at all.. and Wiggins has been a very solid player with exception of his scoring slump to start the season

It would honestly make more sense to trade Kuminga than Wiggins. But probably dont want to do that either if the team is trying to win in the present, because Kuminga's best skill is one that the rest of the team doesnt have

Agreed. They have little in common other than being roughly the same size and wanting to play the same position.

I personally am intrigued by the idea of trying to play something like Curry, Wiggins, Kuminga, Draymond, TJD. But that would depend on Wiggins and/or Kuminga retaining enough of an outside shot to keep people honest.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#183 » by sonnyhill » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Agreed. They have little in common other than being roughly the same size and wanting to play the same position.

I personally am intrigued by the idea of trying to play something like Curry, Wiggins, Kuminga, Draymond, TJD. But that would depend on Wiggins and/or Kuminga retaining enough of an outside shot to keep people honest.

Wiggins would actually punish smaller guards on the block and in the paint on offense and Wiggins, Kuminga, Green, and TJD would more-than-cover-up Curry's defensive liabilities.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#184 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:42 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:

Same here, the team has always won on defense, so lets lean into that. I get that people love their spacing, but teams have won without pristine spacing in the past, so long as they make up for it in other ways. That unit could be a great defensive unit with excellent rebounding, and guys like Wiggins/JK/Dray can hit enough 3s. Plus there's always overcorrection - for example, if Steph is the only deadly shooter, teams might be more prone to throwing 2 guys at him on screens. Similarly, if Wiggins/JK/Dray dont get 3pt respect, they might be given open shots there more often instead of them trying to play inside the arc. And all they'd have to do at that point is be credible on open jumpers, which is realistic
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,953

Post#185 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:49 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:

Agree, having two athletic wing type players on the roster is a good thing and don't see the overlap issue either.

When Kuminga gets a little more time under his belt and stops being too aggressive and overcommitting on defense he will be a much more useful player.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#186 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:50 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Same here, the team has always won on defense, so lets lean into that. I get that people love their spacing, but teams have won without pristine spacing in the past, so long as they make up for it in other ways. That unit could be a great defensive unit with excellent rebounding, and guys like Wiggins/JK/Dray can hit enough 3s. Plus there's always overcorrection - for example, if Steph is the only deadly shooter, teams might be more prone to throwing 2 guys at him on screens. Similarly, if Wiggins/JK/Dray dont get 3pt respect, they might be given open shots there more often instead of them trying to play inside the arc. And all they'd have to do at that point is be credible on open jumpers, which is realistic

I think this is something that kerr will look into. One reason we are doing less 3 and 4 guard line ups is that kerr is using wiggins to initiate the early offense, even when cp3 and steph are in the game. Steph is steph and wiggins has essentially been a 40% shooter from 3 for almost 3 years now. Im less worried about spacing than most. And its not like klay will be glued to the bench.The defense and rebounding would be much better no question.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#187 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 pm

svart wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Stupid Kerr, we would have won that game if Moody played instead of Klay. Oh wait, we did win that game.

....and here you are, like a broken record.

Anti-Kerr, Anti-Klay heard mentality puppy pack does not like me and I don’t care. Once and a while the anti-kerr anti-klay herd mentality pack members will write something good worth reading but the anti-Kerr anti-Klay herd mentality puppy pack members are mostly useless broken records.

Pack mentality dumbs down thinking. Pack mentality thoughts are more like scratching yourself than having thoughts. Luckily Warriors is just a game so no harm done. But in other topics pack mentality could stop people from solving problems by thinking well.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#188 » by billinder33 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:41 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:I've been vocal about Klay's performance (or lack thereof) most of the season, but this is exactly why you play strugging HOF vets over struggling youngsters in crunch times. There's a much higher chance a vet will revert to the mean vs a youngster suddenly developing into a something exceptional at the most difficult point of the season.

you play struggling vets so that 70 games in they go on a likely unsustainable heater towards the end of their career instead of building up younger players who are (almost by default) likely to give more consistent performances in the present as well as help the team in the future?

No, there's no justification for how this situation played out

I'm sure Moody's bound to start playing better..... any..... day........ now..................
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#189 » by TB » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:59 pm

It is fantastic that Klay is playing so well heading into the play-in/offs.

Kerr's handling of Klay minutes this year is definitely a top 3 reason we are fighting for a play-in spot instead of comfortably being in the top 6.

Both those things can be true.

As for Moody, he's been good the majority of the time he gets an opportunity. Especially in stretches he gets consistent minutes.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#190 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Teams have, but has this team? I agree that our defense has been the constant in the years we won and/or came close. That said, throughout our run, we've had a top offense and some of the best spacing/shooting in the league.

Don't get me wrong, I also want to see that lineup out there, can't understand how it's played 0 minutes so far this season. 0!
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#191 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:48 pm

billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:I've been vocal about Klay's performance (or lack thereof) most of the season, but this is exactly why you play strugging HOF vets over struggling youngsters in crunch times. There's a much higher chance a vet will revert to the mean vs a youngster suddenly developing into a something exceptional at the most difficult point of the season.

you play struggling vets so that 70 games in they go on a likely unsustainable heater towards the end of their career instead of building up younger players who are (almost by default) likely to give more consistent performances in the present as well as help the team in the future?

I'm sure Moody's bound to start playing better..... any..... day........ now..................

Easy to say this during a what, 2-3 game down trend? In a season where he's been continually removed from the rotation/game without rhyme or reason

As I said - no justification whatsoever. Not a good one, anyways
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#192 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:52 pm

vvoland wrote:
Teams have, but has this team? I agree that our defense has been the constant in the years we won and/or came close. That said, throughout our run, we've had a top offense and some of the best spacing/shooting in the league.

Don't get me wrong, I also want to see that lineup out there, can't understand how it's played 0 minutes so far this season. 0!

17th rated offense in 21-22.. we havent been a great offense without KD. 2 of the 4 titles the offense was better than the defense (KD years - and one of those was best offense, 2nd best defense; and in 1st title year it was #2 offense, #1 defense).

So yes, this team, in its most recent title, was a below average offensive team but elite defensive team. And without KD, the team's strength has been defense, not offense. Mostly because of roster design, but still.. thats why we'd have to do it this year as well
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#193 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:13 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol I dont even know who to blame but thats some good stuff.. check the replies too. There's one screenshot that is **** hilarious
vvoland
Senior

Post#194 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:26 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Easy to say this during a what, 2-3 game down trend? In a season where he's been continually removed from the rotation/game without rhyme or reason

As I said - no justification whatsoever. Not a good one, anyways

It's not a 2-3 game downtrend. This year, with the wiggins early disappearance, the dray suspension, CP3 injury, and Wiggs, JK and Curry missing games recently, Moody has had numerous chances to take a rotation spot and make it his. Just like JK did when Dray got suspended, TJD did when Loon and then Saric got demoted, and Podz did when Klay was struggling. For as much as I like Moody more than I do Podz, there was nothing in Moody's season that would say to me he's a locked in 20 min/game guy. Podz, JK, & TJD have all earned it, and then some. Moody has not.

We can say it's because of this, that or the other thing. Truth of the matter is, he has not. This part of the season isn't one where I would just give him minutes and hope he can perform. Same reason I'm OK with JK losing his starting spot since we need every single win we can find and the starters have been playing extremely well.

There's also the little that we see on the court during games and the much larger view coaches have from games, practices, film sessions, walk throughs, etc. I really want moody to play well and have wanted him to do so since we drafted the kid. Not sure he has the irrational confidence, mental fortitude and cojones to be a 20 min a night guy. From what I know he's always been the 3rd banana (played with Cade and someone else highly recruited in H.S.) and even the bottom of the bench guys were typically no 1 options in HS and college. These last two sentences are pure speculation because his physical gifts look like a guy you would draw up in a lab for the 2/3 spot.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#195 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#196 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:53 pm

vvoland wrote:
It's not a 2-3 game downtrend. This year, with the wiggins early disappearance, the dray suspension, CP3 injury, and Wiggs, JK and Curry missing games recently, Moody has had numerous chances to take a rotation spot and make it his. Just like JK did when Dray got suspended, TJD did when Loon and then Saric got demoted, and Podz did when Klay was struggling. For as much as I like Moody more than I do Podz, there was nothing in Moody's season that would say to me he's a locked in 20 min/game guy. Podz, JK, & TJD have all earned it, and then some. Moody has not.

We can say it's because of this, that or the other thing. Truth of the matter is, he has not. This part of the season isn't one where I would just give him minutes and hope he can perform. Same reason I'm OK with JK losing his starting spot since we need every single win we can find and the starters have been playing extremely well.

There's also the little that we see on the court during games and the much larger view coaches have from games, practices, film sessions, walk throughs, etc. I really want moody to play well and have wanted him to do so since we drafted the kid. Not sure he has the irrational confidence, mental fortitude and cojones to be a 20 min a night guy. From what I know he's always been the 3rd banana (played with Cade and someone else highly recruited in H.S.) and even the bottom of the bench guys were typically no 1 options in HS and college. These last two sentences are pure speculation because his physical gifts look like a guy you would draw up in a lab for the 2/3 spot.

Absolutely is a 2-3 game downtrend, because he was doing solid before that. He's the best overall defender of the 4, and likely worst overall offensive player. But the defense has continued to be solid, the rebounding is borderline elite, high stl/blk%s.. thats what he brings. And he's continued to bring it. He clearly has had the least margin of error to get benched between the rest because of that.. which should be baffling to any hardcore fan. Casuals I dont expect to care about defense - they can barely identify what good defense is anyways

He was the #1 option as a freshman in college on a team that basically played the perimeter weave. He also handled a lot and got to the line a lot. He has that in his bag, but he was on an organized team that ran stationary plays, and hes not anymore. Now he's on an improv team that rewards primary handlers (Podz), relentless attackers (Kuminga), and capable enough big men (TJD). What he is, is a defensive wing that can get you a moderately efficient scoring clip - 13ppg in 25mpg, on slightly above average efficiency, as a starter, while providing quality defense. If a coach cant figure a way to get that into a lineup, then we must be extremely good at the SG/SF wing spots.

So.. have we? Or have we suffered through a poor defensive player who's been inconsistent offensively, simply because he used to be consistently good 4+ years ago?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#197 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:53 pm

Coxy wrote:
Read on Twitter

lol yup thats the one
vvoland
Senior

Post#198 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:51 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Absolutely is a 2-3 game downtrend, because he was doing solid before that. He's the best overall defender of the 4, and likely worst overall offensive player. But the defense has continued to be solid, the rebounding is borderline elite, high stl/blk%s.. thats what he brings. And he's continued to bring it. He clearly has had the least margin of error to get benched between the rest because of that.. which should be baffling to any hardcore fan. Casuals I dont expect to care about defense - they can barely identify what good defense is anyways

He was the #1 option as a freshman in college on a team that basically played the perimeter weave. He also handled a lot and got to the line a lot. He has that in his bag, but he was on an organized team that ran stationary plays, and hes not anymore. Now he's on an improv team that rewards primary handlers (Podz), relentless attackers (Kuminga), and capable enough big men (TJD). What he is, is a defensive wing that can get you a moderately efficient scoring clip - 13ppg in 25mpg, on slightly above average efficiency, as a starter, while providing quality defense. If a coach cant figure a way to get that into a lineup, then we must be extremely good at the SG/SF wing spots.

So.. have we? Or have we suffered through a poor defensive player who's been inconsistent offensively, simply because he used to be consistently good 4+ years ago?

The rebounding is very good for his position but we're one of the best rebounding teams in the league this season so I'm not sure how much added value he brings there. His defense is solid but it's not like he plays mistake free or never misses a rotation, etc. I guess I just don't see the elite defender you've described. He struggles against quicker guards and I'm not sure he has the size/strength to guard bigger forwards. That leaves two guards and that sounds more like a niche defender, especially in our scheme that essentially requires players to guard up and down the lineup.

He's also an efficient scorer on pretty low volume but, when given bigger minutes, hasn't really excelled. I think you're right to point out the difference between moody in structure and in an offensive improv; he's not unique in that, it's hard to play like the dubs play and plenty of talented offensive players did not find their way in our offense. Your distaste for Kerr is well documented, but is it so strong that you don't accept he may see things we don't (either in games, practices or film) and the reason why Moody sees so little court time is because he isn't an improvement over players like Klay, Podz, Wigs, JK, GP2, CP3 and others that play either guard or forward?

There are also plenty of things that don't make the box score, or the tracking numbers. Like when he passes up an open shot to create a tougher one for a teammate. Or when he dribbles into the paint, stops, pivots, looks around and passes out beyond the 3pt line. I don't think there's a 'derails offensive possession' stat on second spectrum or synergy but I've never had a subscription so I may be wrong.

Suffered through is a strong term to use for a player that was pretty important in us winning a title two years ago. Maybe not as important as I would think in hindsight but certainly much more so than moody then, now or, perhaps, ever will be for any team.

P.S. You often refer to other posters as 'casuals.' I'm curious, why are you so quick to condescend to a person that may focus on other parts of a player's game or point out things you disagree with? I'm not even talking about me, I didn't take that comment as directed at me, specifically (though it may have been, I'm not that sure). I really do enjoy the fact based approach you bring to the conversation but, then I read stuff like that or the armchair psychology about Kerr or Klay and it just seems to be in direct opposition to the 75% of the stuff you actually bring to the table.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#199 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:11 am

vvoland wrote:The rebounding is very good for his position but we're one of the best rebounding teams in the league this season so I'm not sure how much added value he brings there. His defense is solid but it's not like he plays mistake free or never misses a rotation, etc. I guess I just don't see the elite defender you've described. He struggles against quicker guards and I'm not sure he has the size/strength to guard bigger forwards. That leaves two guards and that sounds more like a niche defender, especially in our scheme that essentially requires players to guard up and down the lineup.

Never said elite, I said he was better than JK/TJD/Podz and he is.. and he guards bigger forwards better than most. Guards PFs well too. The rebounding argument makes no sense - he's part of it. He brings the same value as he would on a regular rebounding team

Do you know why he guards the quick guards when Wiggins is out? Because no one else can.. so is everyone on the roster a niche defender?

He's also an efficient scorer on pretty low volume but, when given bigger minutes, hasn't really excelled. I think you're right to point out the difference between moody in structure and in an offensive improv; he's not unique in that, it's hard to play like the dubs play and plenty of talented offensive players did not find their way in our offense. Your distaste for Kerr is well documented, but is it so strong that you don't accept he may see things we don't (either in games, practices or film) and the reason why Moody sees so little court time is because he isn't an improvement over players like Klay, Podz, Wigs, JK, GP2, CP3 and others that play either guard or forward?

Excelled how? Scoring a lot? Because 1 pt every 2 minutes on above average efficiency is good, actually

I've been defending Kerr for the majority of the time he's been here. I change my opinion when data dictates. I'm very well aware he has more insight on intangibles, but I'm also very well aware that the Warriors' grasp on advanced analytics is limited and that they are leaving tons of value on the table, when they didnt before

There are also plenty of things that don't make the box score, or the tracking numbers. Like when he passes up an open shot to create a tougher one for a teammate. Or when he dribbles into the paint, stops, pivots, looks around and passes out beyond the 3pt line. I don't think there's a 'derails offensive possession' stat on second spectrum or synergy but I've never had a subscription so I may be wrong.

If you've never seen tracking numbers, why are you comfortable suggesting what it has and doesnt have? Because, like I argued several years ago on this forum, the "per possession" stats with regards to things like drives, pullups, passes, and all of those play types is total garbage. Because if an attempt is made but it doesnt terminate the possession, thats a negative. And tracking does count those towards his drive totals. But it requires context - did he drive because no one was moving around? Or a better question - why would the team dump it to him on the perimeter and ask him to create?

P.S. You often refer to other posters as 'casuals.' I'm curious, why are you so quick to condescend to a person that may focus on other parts of a player's game or point out things you disagree with? I'm not even talking about me, I didn't take that comment as directed at me, specifically (though it may have been, I'm not that sure). I really do enjoy the fact based approach you bring to the conversation but, then I read stuff like that or the armchair psychology about Kerr or Klay and it just seems to be in direct opposition to the 75% of the stuff you actually bring to the table.

Because most fans are. And if that's condescending, then dont respond, but truth is what it is. I dont really care how its taken, but there are people who truly try and understand the game, and there are people who try to bend the game to their understanding.. one is useful to talk to, the other isnt. But I guarantee most people dont want to talk about me personally, I sure don't, so I'm not sure why it does to you. But you dont have to engage and I'll keep calling a spade a spade. Most fans dont know much about the game other than they like watching it
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#200 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:15 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

Is Wiggins playing at 2022 playoff level or almost at 2022 playoff level?

In December many wanted to trade Wiggins. I knew there was a big risk that Wiggins would never again play near 2022 playoff level but I thought gambling on Wiggins returning to good Wiggins was our best option, and yay I was right.

Return to Golden State Warriors