ImageImageImageImageImage

Does this sound familiar?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Does this sound familiar? 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 pm

Warriors get on a roll to end the season and then lose to the Lakers in a play-in game...go on to win the title the next season. Let's gooooooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, this time if we lose to the Lakers we're out after one game. In 2021 we had a second chance to make the playoffs and lost to Memphis.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Re: Does this sound familiar? 

Post#2 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:02 pm

EvanZ wrote:Warriors get on a roll to end the season and then lose to the Lakers in a play-in game...go on to win the title the next season. Let's gooooooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, this time if we lose to the Lakers we're out after one game. In 2021 we had a second chance to make the playoffs and lost to Memphis.

Still a decent chance of getting the 8th and having two shots at it
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#3 » by TB » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm

I really hope they get into the real playoffs mostly so we dont have to play the what-if game and get mad about all the avoidable failures this regular season. Because the reality is we are playing well now, so if we get in we can sort of forget about those awful losses and just see how it plays out.

My worry is we get 1 bad game or 1 insane shooting game by an opponent in the play-in and its all for nothing. But thats the position we have put ourselves in.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,046

Post#4 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:03 pm

in 2022 all the underlying metrics and tracking numbers pointed to the Warriors being an elite team, it was just a well-timed Dray injury that made the doomsayers think it was over

There's really nothing to point at this season to think that they can make a run... weirder things have happened but the biggest chance the team had was to really sell out on the defensive side of the ball and hope that some of them could find their offense. But despite having 82 games to prep, despite having Klay and others really struggle, it just wasnt worth the attempt, apparently
vvoland
Senior

Post#5 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:19 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:in 2022 all the underlying metrics and tracking numbers pointed to the Warriors being an elite team, it was just a well-timed Dray injury that made the doomsayers think it was over

There's really nothing to point at this season to think that they can make a run... weirder things have happened but the biggest chance the team had was to really sell out on the defensive side of the ball and hope that some of them could find their offense. But despite having 82 games to prep, despite having Klay and others really struggle, it just wasnt worth the attempt, apparently

What do the underlying metrics say about this team since Jan 27th? The W-L record points to a fairly elite team, depending on how you define elite. 24-11 on a road heavy record with some absolutely horrific travel thrown in seems to be an elite record and I would guess that over that sample, we're showing some very good numbers on both ends. That's just a guess though, so if the tracking is showing that they've been more or less the same team in the last 35 games that they were in the first 43, I'd be curious what reasons you'd have for all the wins?
vvoland
Senior

Post#6 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:24 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:in 2022 all the underlying metrics and tracking numbers pointed to the Warriors being an elite team, it was just a well-timed Dray injury that made the doomsayers think it was over

Certainly not willing to put money on this but the season seems a lot like the heat season last year or the celtics season the year the faced us in the finals. In both cases, a struggle for the first half turned into a 2nd half turnaround that those teams rode to the finals. Sure, that celtics team woke up a bit earlier than we did and fought their way to 51 wins after starting 16-19.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#7 » by HiRez » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:27 pm

vvoland wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Warriors get on a roll to end the season and then lose to the Lakers in a play-in game...go on to win the title the next season. Let's gooooooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having 2 shots at it is good, but just as important IMO is if they can win the first game, they get a few extra days of rest, which this older team desperately needs. Especially since they probably can't rest a lot before then, likely needing to win every game to get into the top bracket of the play-in.
vvoland
Senior

Post#8 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:59 pm

HiRez wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Having 2 shots at it is good, but just as important IMO is if they can win the first game, they get a few extra days of rest, which this older team desperately needs. Especially since they probably can't rest a lot before then, likely needing to win every game to get into the top bracket of the play-in.

100% correct, the rest may be even more important that the 2nd chance to qualify. If they're able to get to 8 and win the first game, they might get 4-5 days off. Additionally, it looks like denver secured the 1 seed yesterday so one more great reason to try to get the 7 seed.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#9 » by Onus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:22 pm

The defense does seem to have taken a turn for the better. The problem is just some combinations aren't good defensive lineups. The bench unit of CP, BP, GP, Klay/JK, TJD was an adventure.

Really I wonder if we ramp up Wiggins, Dray's minutes in the playoffs.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#10 » by Onus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:24 pm

vvoland wrote:
HiRez wrote:
vvoland wrote:

100% correct, the rest may be even more important that the 2nd chance to qualify. If they're able to get to 8 and win the first game, they might get 4-5 days off. Additionally, it looks like denver secured the 1 seed yesterday so one more great reason to try to get the 7 seed.

I think the rest is the most important. Whomever we play will have had a week off, whereas with our tough schedule down the stretch - no 2 days off at all for the last month and then having to play 3 x in a week if we have to play the 9/10 would put us at an even worst deficit.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#11 » by Warriorfan » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:31 am

vvoland wrote:

What do the underlying metrics say about this team since Jan 27th? The W-L record points to a fairly elite team, depending on how you define elite. 24-11 on a road heavy record with some absolutely horrific travel thrown in seems to be an elite record and I would guess that over that sample, we're showing some very good numbers on both ends. That's just a guess though, so if the tracking is showing that they've been more or less the same team in the last 35 games that they were in the first 43, I'd be curious what reasons you'd have for all the wins?

Greatest metric/measure is wins. Health , best ability is availability. and Green matters. Strength of schedule predicted a late warrior run.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
HiRez wrote:Having 2 shots at it is good, but just as important IMO is if they can win the first game, they get a few extra days of rest, which this older team desperately needs. Especially since they probably can't rest a lot before then, likely needing to win every game to get into the top bracket of the play-in.

I think the rest is the most important. Whomever we play will have had a week off, whereas with our tough schedule down the stretch - no 2 days off at all for the last month and then having to play 3 x in a week if we have to play the 9/10 would put us at an even worst deficit.

Having 2 shots is far and away the most important factor in getting into the 7/8 and it's not even close. Rest is nice, but it doesn't affect the odds even close to having that extra game if they lose the first. Second, after that, is the fact that if they do win they get to avoid Denver in the first round.

then rest maybe is nice
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,046

Post#13 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:27 pm

Warriorfan wrote:Greatest metric/measure is wins. Health , best ability is availability. and Green matters. Strength of schedule predicted a late warrior run.

no it isnt
Onus
RealGM

Post#14 » by Onus » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Having 2 shots is far and away the most important factor in getting into the 7/8 and it's not even close. Rest is nice, but it doesn't affect the odds even close to having that extra game if they lose the first. Second, after that, is the fact that if they do win they get to avoid Denver in the first round.

then rest maybe is nice

TBH I'd rather have a back to back monday and tuesday so then we'd get Wed-Fri off than continuing to play with 1 day rest for the last month. Our schedule this past month has been crazy. We've been on the road for 11 games straight playing with at most 1 day rest between games. Having to do that for another week against a team that has been resting for an entire week would essentially just end our playoff hopes if we don't win in 4 games. We ran out of steam after 7 games and starting another series right after which killed us.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#15 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:14 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:I think the rest is the most important. Whomever we play will have had a week off, whereas with our tough schedule down the stretch - no 2 days off at all for the last month and then having to play 3 x in a week if we have to play the 9/10 would put us at an even worst deficit.

then rest maybe is nice

TBH I'd rather have a back to back monday and tuesday so then we'd get Wed-Fri off than continuing to play with 1 day rest for the last month. Our schedule this past month has been crazy. We've been on the road for 11 games straight playing with at most 1 day rest between games. Having to do that for another week against a team that has been resting for an entire week would essentially just end our playoff hopes if we don't win in 4 games. We ran out of steam after 7 games and starting another series right after which killed us.

Yeah I mean this is objectively false. But sure. For one thing Steph, Klay and Draymond have all had days off. But to ignore the fact that you have an extra shot if you lose the first game seems brutally ignorant of the laws or probability. There's really no scenario where that rest matters more to actually winning than literally an extra chance at, you know...winning. :lol:
Onus
RealGM

Post#16 » by Onus » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:24 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

then rest maybe is nice

Yeah I mean this is objectively false. But sure. For one thing Steph, Klay and Draymond have all had days off. But to ignore the fact that you have an extra shot if you lose the first game seems brutally ignorant of the laws or probability. There's really no scenario where that rest matters more to actually winning than literally an extra chance at, you know...winning. :lol:

meh I don't think we're going to lose. Why do you think we're going to lose. That's just a loser's mindset.
multo
Rookie
And1: 466

Post#17 » by multo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:36 pm

My question is are we better than the 2022 championship team? The core is older, we had Porter, Iggy and Bjelica as role/bench players, but now, JK and Moody are better, and we have Podz, CP3 and TJD this time. Although this year the West is so much tougher than 2022, and this current Celtics team as well (Not to mention a healthy Denver team).
Onus
RealGM

Post#18 » by Onus » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:49 pm

multo wrote:My question is are we better than the 2022 championship team? The core is older, we had Porter, Iggy and Bjelica as role/bench players, but now, JK and Moody are better, and we have Podz, CP3 and TJD this time. Although this year the West is so much tougher than 2022, and this current Celtics team as well.

I don't think we are better than the 2022 team. I think the difference really is porter. Another big wing who can rebound and shoot and be a solid defender. We don't really have that 5th guy, or that 5th guy really depends on matchups and IDK if Steve will be able to find that matchup consistently throughout the course of a series.

We're better than the 2023 team.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:55 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:TBH I'd rather have a back to back monday and tuesday so then we'd get Wed-Fri off than continuing to play with 1 day rest for the last month. Our schedule this past month has been crazy. We've been on the road for 11 games straight playing with at most 1 day rest between games. Having to do that for another week against a team that has been resting for an entire week would essentially just end our playoff hopes if we don't win in 4 games. We ran out of steam after 7 games and starting another series right after which killed us.

meh I don't think we're going to lose. Why do you think we're going to lose. That's just a loser's mindset.

LMAO nice way to evade having to think
Onus
RealGM

Post#20 » by Onus » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:22 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

LMAO nice way to evade having to think

They all had a single game off. We see how great Steph looked after that 1 game off. Now if he's able to get 4 days off and get ready for a deep playoff run that's much better than getting some 2nd shot that we shouldn't need.

Return to Golden State Warriors