Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

What excited you most this season?

Adding CP3 to the roster
7%
Podz & TJD development
33%
Kuminga making a leap
33%
Curry, Klay, & Green looking to make another run.
13%
Stephen Curry.
13%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 15

watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Re: 4/14 Game 82: Jazz (31-50) @ Warriors (45-36) 12:30pm 

Post#61 » by watch1958 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:49 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:27-12 over last 39.

and during that run, 5-7 against WC playoff teams, with 4 of those 5 coming against play-in teams - and 3 of them against LAL

just not much of a ceiling anymore.. im looking for moral victories in the next week or so

Now i understand why you do not believe in the warriors 27-12 record - their performance against the west's best teams.

For reference, what's did some other teams do against the west's top 8 (or 10?) in a random 12 game sample? I would imagine it's pretty tough to have a .500 record against the playoff teams in the west, even for other playoff teams in the west. Probably why most of these teams won between 51 and 46 games.
They lost the season series against each of the top 7 teams in the West.

Their recent run of solid games is encouraging, but only as a warmup. They still haven’t shown it against the best. In particular, doesn’t look like Kerr has really figured out the roster yet,
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,281

Post#62 » by Onus » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:59 pm

watch1958 wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
and during that run, 5-7 against WC playoff teams, with 4 of those 5 coming against play-in teams - and 3 of them against LAL

just not much of a ceiling anymore.. im looking for moral victories in the next week or so

Now i understand why you do not believe in the warriors 27-12 record - their performance against the west's best teams.

For reference, what's did some other teams do against the west's top 8 (or 10?) in a random 12 game sample? I would imagine it's pretty tough to have a .500 record against the playoff teams in the west, even for other playoff teams in the west. Probably why most of these teams won between 51 and 46 games.

Their recent run of solid games is encouraging, but only as a warmup. They still haven’t shown it against the best. In particular, doesn’t look like Kerr has really figured out the roster yet,

That’s because when things get tight Steve likes to rely on the vets. If he was going down he went with the vets so he didn’t have to deal with the hey if I was in things would be different in the locker room afterwards. He chose the easy route and decided to not actually coach.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#63 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 am

watch1958 wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

They went 27-12 in the last 39 games. That's half a season. You can say you don't believe it, weak schedule, etc. But let's not diminish it and say 'recent run'. It's half the season. HALF. THE. SEASON.

CDM doesn't believe in that run because we went 5-7 against the best teams in the west. I'm curious how well the best teams in the west fared against 'the best teams in the west.' My assumption is, the best teams in the west went around .500 against the other best of the west. We were 5-7, so 1 game under. That's just an assumption, though, I could be way off.

Personally, I believe in the last 39 games more than the first 43. Dray missed like 60% of the latter. Wigs didn't show up until game 40. JK didn't get minutes until early Dec; TJD didn't start playing until X-Mas. While CDM and much of the board laments how the warriors didn't lean into the defense, they've had a top 10 defense since Feb 1 (if memory serves) and a top 2 Opp FG % allowed (better measure as far as I'm concerned than def rtg) since the all-star break (27 games - 1/3rd of the season).

Yes, they played an easier schedule than in the first 43 but I can also say the first half of the year was loaded with very good teams. The second half, however, was very road and travel heavy. The post-all-star break, even more so. It's been an insane stretch of road games and travel and I believe in the team I saw since Dray came back.

Sucks they started soooo poorly that they now find themselves in the 10 seed. Sucks that this many wins would have gotten them a 3 or 4 seed just last season. Sucks that they blew so many games when their win probability was over 99%. Sometimes, things just don't break your way.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#64 » by watch1958 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 am

vvoland wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
vvoland wrote:

They went 27-12 in the last 39 games. That's half a season. You can say you don't believe it, weak schedule, etc. But let's not diminish it and say 'recent run'. It's half the season. HALF. THE. SEASON.

CDM doesn't believe in that run because we went 5-7 against the best teams in the west. I'm curious how well the best teams in the west fared against 'the best teams in the west.' My assumption is, the best teams in the west went around .500 against the other best of the west. We were 5-7, so 1 game under. That's just an assumption, though, I could be way off.

Personally, I believe in the last 39 games more than the first 43. Dray missed like 60% of the latter. Wigs didn't show up until game 40. JK didn't get minutes until early Dec; TJD didn't start playing until X-Mas. While CDM and much of the board laments how the warriors didn't lean into the defense, they've had a top 10 defense since Feb 1 (if memory serves) and a top 2 Opp FG % allowed (better measure as far as I'm concerned than def rtg) since the all-star break (27 games - 1/3rd of the season).

Yes, they played an easier schedule than in the first 43 but I can also say the first half of the year was loaded with very good teams. The second half, however, was very road and travel heavy. The post-all-star break, even more so. It's been an insane stretch of road games and travel and I believe in the team I saw since Dray came back.

Sucks they started soooo poorly that they now find themselves in the 10 seed. Sucks that this many wins would have gotten them a 3 or 4 seed just last season. Sucks that they blew so many games when their win probability was over 99%. Sometimes, things just don't break your way.

During the 27-12 stretch, they were 2-6 against the top 7 teams in the West.

2W, 6L.

So, as I stated, the 25-6 record against the East and the bottom of the West is encouraging.

The 2-6 against the top seven in the West is not.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#65 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 am

watch1958 wrote:During the 27-12 stretch, they were 2-6 against the top 7 teams in the West.

2W, 6L.

So, as I stated, the 25-6 record against the East and the bottom of the West is encouraging.

The 2-6 against the top seven in the West is not.

I think that's a very valid reason to dismiss the 2nd half of the season. I just don't think those 39 games should be called a 'recent run.' It's more like 'the second half of the year.'

Now, I agree that a 2-6 record against the teams they should compete with looks terrible. On the other hand, it's just 8 games and if we take a look at those 6 loses, we see:

5 points home vs NOP, 2nd night of a b2b, to end the craziest bit of travel I've seen in a while (mostly due to the 2 make up road games, but still, insane stretch).

2 points @ DAL, 2nd night of a b2b, 7th road game in 8 games, 2nd time they played dal in 4 nights.

4 points @ MIN, Kerr refuses to play Curry more than 30 mins

10 points @ DAL - no Curry

16 points home vs DEN - worst loss, possibly of the season. looked outclassed in the 4th after 'hanging with the champs' for 3 qtrs

5 points home vs LAC - Early in this run when TJD was still getting DNP-CDs

The only game that wasn't competitive was the Den game. Two losses on the 2nd night of a B2B in the middle of the craziest travel stretch I've seen in the NBA - check out that schedule from 3/16 to 4/14. Two other losses by 2 possessions. Another that was before they made changes to the lineup (like Klay and TJD).

You can look at all that and see a bunch of excuses, I get it. I see a team that has the talent and ability to hang with the best, despite the circumstance. No prizes for coming in 2nd and their (mostly Kerr's) inability to push the right buttons, or any buttons, in 'clutch games' is infuriating. 3 more wins and this team is a 'title darkhorse' out of the 5 seed with only the LAC and possibly OKC between them and the WCF. I don't think anyone thinks they weren't a good enough team to get 3 more wins. I mean, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in 5 games, at least.

I really wish I agreed with most of you that think this team is done, Klay is cooked, Dray should be tried at the Hague, and Kerr is mentally handicapped. Problem is, I still think this team is really good and with the right lineups, defensive schemes, rotations and late game execution, they can win. Looks like we'll never know because whatever mojo these guys had late in games, seemed to have left.

Maybe they were never that good in the last 6 minutes, they were just so dominant in the first 42 that it didn't really matter.

Return to Golden State Warriors