Game 83 (9-10 play-in) Tuesday April 16 vs. Sacramento Kings

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Re: Game 83 (9-10 play-in) Tuesday April 16 vs. Sacramento Kings 

Post#561 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:58 pm

Onus wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:Something that has been odd throughout the entire season is how many lineups the team flipped through. In this game Sacramento played the same 5 guys for most of the game. The Dubs were a merry-go-round which mostly sucked. They did have a lineup against the Kings' starting lineup that was positive at +6 in 3 minutes. It played a grand total of 4 minutes in the whole game. One doesn't get the sense they were trying to win.

Kerr has no clue what he’s doing. He’s been continually searching for lineups throughout the year. He thinks this is a community league where everyone has to get minutes.

He wanted to get Klay back into the starting lineup. That was his main goal. Winning wasn’t a priority this year. It was about taking care of Klay at all costs hence why TJD was in starting lineup because he complements Klay.

He abandoned the Dray, Wiggins, JK lineup in favor of the lineup he wanted to play all along. One was competitive against good teams, the other lineup beat scrub teams.

When he found the complementary lineup of Dray, Wiggs, JK, he should have stuck to it. The sum is greater than the parts and he shouldn’t have messed with chemistry. At the end of the day it was about getting Klay paid. Klay said we were sitting outside because we can’t do what he does. I’m sure I can shoot for 0-10 in a playoff game if I really tried.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,294

Post#562 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:Something that has been odd throughout the entire season is how many lineups the team flipped through. In this game Sacramento played the same 5 guys for most of the game. The Dubs were a merry-go-round which mostly sucked. They did have a lineup against the Kings' starting lineup that was positive at +6 in 3 minutes. It played a grand total of 4 minutes in the whole game. One doesn't get the sense they were trying to win.

Kerr has no clue what he’s doing. He’s been continually searching for lineups throughout the year. He thinks this is a community league where everyone has to get minutes.

He wanted to get Klay back into the starting lineup. That was his main goal. Winning wasn’t a priority this year. It was about taking care of Klay at all costs hence why TJD was in starting lineup because he complements Klay.

He abandoned the Dray, Wiggins, JK lineup in favor of the lineup he wanted to play all along. One was competitive against good teams, the other lineup beat scrub teams.

When he found the complementary lineup of Dray, Wiggs, JK, he should have stuck to it. The sum is greater than the parts and he shouldn’t have messed with chemistry. At the end of the day it was about getting Klay paid. Klay said we were sitting outside because we can’t do what he does. I’m sure I can shoot for 0-10 in a playoff game if I really tried.

JK never found his rhythm again after he got hurt.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#563 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:18 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:Kerr has no clue what he’s doing. He’s been continually searching for lineups throughout the year. He thinks this is a community league where everyone has to get minutes.

JK never found his rhythm again after he got hurt.

Like I said, it was stupid because Kerr wasn’t playing him in the lineup that worked. JK was moved to the bench far from the players he was used to playing throughout the year. He has real chemistry with Curry. So instead of unlocking both, Curry got stuck with Klank. While Klank played defense yesterday, he didn’t provide spacing for Curry or take advantage of gravity so he was essentially useless. It’s about the group of FIVE out there that makes the difference. Just looking at individuals without understanding their roles in the complete unit is idiotic like Kerr.

Same with Wiggins and Dray. When everyone knows their roles they don’t have to think and less turnovers.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#564 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:24 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
I dont get why trading Dray should be a priority

He helped coach up JK this year (because someone had to)
He doesnt take a lot of shots
He literally puts people in the right position defensively on the court

His downside is that he wants to win and we're not going to, so if he goes all bilbo-y, then suspend him. But the contracts coming back for him arent going to be good and will probably be younger. Unless there's some good draft capital coming back, it wont be worth it

Imo the downside is he’s probably going to meltdown again at some point

Oh no would that cost us wins on our quest for the title?

it's waste of cap space to have a guy suspended, out doing drive-thru therapy again
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
danbanger
Senior
And1: 11

Post#565 » by danbanger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:31 pm

Do the right thing ownership + Klay...V E T MINIMUM
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#566 » by superunknown » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:10 pm

lousy L like the rest of the season.
they simply didn't deserve to be in the playoffs. masterclass job by kerr and the FO.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#567 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:18 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Klay did not hit a shot but pus minus say that Klay was not one of oir worst 5 players..

Why are you still trying to put value in single game plus/minus?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#568 » by WarriorGM » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:04 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Klay did not hit a shot but pus minus say that Klay was not one of oir worst 5 players..

Why are you still trying to put value in single game plus/minus?

Because whatever else you can say about it, it is an objective measure.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#569 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:19 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:I think you gotta tear it down. Give Steph the option of whether he wants to stick around.

Curry’s salary is so big that it is difficult to trade Curry and if we let Curry opt out only low salary bad teams can sign Curry unless Curry akes a major pay cut.

It seems wrong that Curry can not play for a contender.

Warriors having the high salary perhaps could build a contender by trading 8 1st round draft picks plus players for players.

I hate trading Klay but Klay’s salary and players and draft picks for 1 great player and Chris Paul’s salary and Players and draft picks for a 2nd great player.

2 great players, 2 role players Dray, Steph, Looney, Trayce, Kuminga, Wiggins, Podz and G-leaguers.
Everybody else gone. Payton has declined some from age and is now overpaid.

We need a star off guard. Another star, a big center and a fast defensive role player point guard

Unless the Warriors think they can make a swing for the fences move (but why would a superstar want to join the Warriors at this point?), I think you gotta do a full rebuild. Klay and CP3 should leave in free agency. Contending teams will find a way to make a trade for Steph work. Trade Draymond. Trade Wiggins. Bring back picks, young players and expiring contracts. Try to find a couple young guys who can be the next Warriors stars in a couple years. Make a decision on Kuminga: can he be that guy? If so extend him. If not, trade him. The only players who should stick around next season are the young guys (Podz, Moody, Trayce... ) and cheap vets (GPII, Looney... ).

Again I'd give Steph the option of what he wants to do. He's earned that. But make it clear that Warriors can't keeping pushing chips into a middling team. You have to be great or terrible, can't get stuck in mediocrity.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,296

Post#570 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:22 pm

DIO wrote:Klay 32min 0pts FG:0-10 3P:0-6
Moody 15min 16pts FG:5-8 3P:2-4

32minutes!?!?!?!??!?!?! and...15minutes?!?!?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It takes time to Mold and harden a Klay while you can only rely on a Moody player for 15 Minutes.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#571 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

I don't blame Kerr - our players are just not good enough anymore. That's a normal course for teams, no one stays on top forever - in fact the Warriors had been at or near the top for longer than we deserve. But if there is any blame to be handed out my vote goes to the Bob Myers front office for not stocking the cupboard over these years. Where is the next generation of players? So many draft whiffs.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,053

Post#572 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Imo the downside is he’s probably going to meltdown again at some point

Oh no would that cost us wins on our quest for the title?

it's waste of cap space to have a guy suspended, out doing drive-thru therapy again

You realize that we aren’t going to be under the cap even if Drays salary just vanishes, right?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#573 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

Great RGM headlines that contradict each other:

- Warriors plan to maximize remaining years of Steph Curry’s career
- Kerr: Warriors need Klay Thompson back

It’s one or the other
Onus
RealGM

Post#574 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:I don't blame Kerr - our players are just not good enough anymore. That's a normal course for teams, no one stays on top forever - in fact the Warriors had been at or near the top for longer than we deserve. But if there is any blame to be handed out my vote goes to the Bob Myers front office for not stocking the cupboard over these years. Where is the next generation of players? So many draft whiffs.

Yup Bob is the one who screwed us with his draft picks. Just horrible drafting by him.

I’ve got to commend Bob for leaving when he knew he couldn’t do the job anymore because he was more of a friend than a gm. Now if only kerr also had some self reflection and realized he’s no longer suitable to the head coach here.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#575 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:44 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:What is moody strengths as a scorer? Like if you’re running offense for him what type of shots are you trying to get for him? Sounds like you want more motion offense for him which you just said you didn’t want to do what’s best for Steph.

Most of his points today came off of others. He’s not creating offense for himself or others. I think he had 1 drive and 1 motion shot that he got fouled on. The rest were hustle plays or catch and shoot.

Podz was so reluctant as a scorer/shooter this year. I’d like to see him be more aggressive. He seemed to get more aggressive at the end. But he has serious limitations.

Running plays doesnt = motion offense. A split action isnt a motion offense.. a motion offense is based on a loose concept that allows a ton of freewheeling and mobility, and thats not what Moody has ever done well on offense. Running a set where there's more split actions, or where he's a C&S shooter off screens.. that's just running an offensive play

Podz is probably more suited for a motion offense but he looks versatile enough that he could be in a more structured offense as well. He's the best young player we have right now so I'd probably lean into whats best for him. But if JK/Moody aren't dealt or reasonably extended, then I'd be doing whats best for them until they are traded

OUCH. This seems to be the worst idea I've heard yet. No offense, but building around (or leaning into, though not exactly sure what that means) Podz is a great way to be land the worst record in the league next season. I guess it's a great draft class so if the goal is cooper flagg, sure. Leaning into a small guard that can't (or doesn't want to?) score and isn't really a true PG seems like a terrible idea.

Not sure I understand the sentence after. If Podz is our best young player, why does it matter if JK/Moody are dealt or not? Either way, we should 'lean into' what's ideal for our best young player, no? Or is Podz our best young player that doesn't have a contract decision looming this summer/next year? He's essentially the same age as moody/JK so I'm assuming the considering is less age than it is contract remaining?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#576 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:48 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:I don't blame Kerr - our players are just not good enough anymore. That's a normal course for teams, no one stays on top forever - in fact the Warriors had been at or near the top for longer than we deserve. But if there is any blame to be handed out my vote goes to the Bob Myers front office for not stocking the cupboard over these years. Where is the next generation of players? So many draft whiffs.

Blame isn't binary.. both Kerr and Myers petered out. Myers is gone, but Kerr's is in progress with 2 years on the horizon on a non-playoff team with no 1st rounder and little room to maneuver, and a reputation of not developing/playing young players
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#577 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Onus wrote:

Yup Bob is the one who screwed us with his draft picks. Just horrible drafting by him.

I’ve got to commend Bob for leaving when he knew he couldn’t do the job anymore because he was more of a friend than a gm. Now if only kerr also had some self reflection and realized he’s no longer suitable to the head coach here.

Bob’s drafts were not really horrible. The draft classes were horrible.

If I was using the number 2 pick I would draft Wiseman. Wiseman’s upside potential fit with what we needed and there was nobody but Haliburton that we could have drafted that would have helped us. 10 other teams also failed to realize that Haliburton was the 2nd best player in the draft. Bob not being exceptional does no make Bob bad.

We probably should have traded the Wiseman pick.

I might draft Kuminga again.
A couple guys were better than Moody at 14 but that is normal for a 14th pick. Moody was not a bad pick. Kuminga was not a bad pick.

Believing in 2 timelines was dumb but if we were not going to trade the Wiseman pick drafting Wiseman was not a bad pick. I failed to predict Wiseman’s downside but the draft experts who all had Wiseman in their top 4 also failed to predict Wiseman’s downside.
Onus
RealGM

Post#578 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:05 pm

Onus wrote:

If I was using the number 2 pick I would draft Wiseman. Wiseman’s upside potential fit with what we needed and there was nobody but Haliburton that we could have drafted that would have helped us. 10 other teams also failed to realize that Haliburton was the 2nd best player in the draft. Bob not being exceptional does no make Bob bad.

A couple guys were better than Moody at 14 but that is normal for a 14th pick. Moody was not a bad pick. Kuminga was not a bad pick.

Believing in 2 timelines was dumb but if we were not going to trade the Wiseman pick drafting Wiseman was not a bad pick. I failed to predict Wiseman’s downside but the draft experts who all had Wiseman in their top 4 also failed to predict Wiseman’s downside.

The wiseman draft is whatever. Terrible draft. Took a swing and missed. Whatever.

The 2021 draft though is what killed us. Not drafting Franz and Murphy or Sengun or Herb. Not getting a real rotation player (not one that whined their way into one) from that draft killed the franchise when that draft was littered with impact players drafted after us at the same exact positions that we drafted.

JK was a terrible pick especially considering Franz fits exactly into what we do and what we need. They drafted in hopes of a superstar for a 2nd timeline rather than building on the system we have in place.

Moody was fine as a 14th pick but the fact we missed out on both picks just hurts even more. Not getting a single impact player out of that draft hurts.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#579 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:22 pm

Onus wrote:
Onus wrote:Yup Bob is the one who screwed us with his draft picks. Just horrible drafting by him.

The wiseman draft is whatever. Terrible draft. Took a swing and missed. Whatever.

The 2021 draft though is what killed us. Not drafting Franz and Murphy or Sengun or Herb. Not getting a real rotation player (not one that whined their way into one) from that draft killed the franchise when that draft was littered with impact players drafted after us at the same exact positions that we drafted.

JK was a terrible pick especially considering Franz fits exactly into what we do and what we need. They drafted in hopes of a superstar for a 2nd timeline rather than building on the system we have in place.

Moody was fine as a 14th pick but the fact we missed out on both picks just hurts even more. Not getting a single impact player out of that draft hurts.

Let's say we did draft Franz and Murhpy. Do we still win the title in 21-22? That's a hard one considering we needed everything to go right and playing two rookies that demanded minutes with their play may have cost us a few games.

I also don't think it's clear that Franz will become the better player. It was obvious last year but became less obvious during JKs Jan/Feb this season. It may be just a coincidence that the minute the magic's games started to matter, Franz's shot fell off a cliff. We'll see him in the playoffs this year so it''ll make some things clear. Franz has also had all the minutes he could handle in his first 3 seasons. Would he look anywhere near the player he became with the magic if he was stuck behind wigs, klay, beli, gp2, opj, dray and let's not forget anthony lamb during his first two seasons?

Pretty sure murphy would be better than moody in any situation but the rest of this board is much higher on MM than I am. Not sure Sengun is allowed to crater the defense and make as many mistakes as the focal point of the offense on this team. Actually, I am sure - he would not be allowed to do any of that. Hindsight is 20/20 and missing on picks hurt. Getting literally 0 value back for wiseman was awful. Not the drafting but not recognizing soon enough he wouldn't fit and moving him for something that can contribute (hell, even sadiq bey would have been preferable to gp2, whom they could have just signed).

The real move that draft year would have been drafting lamelo and moving him the following summer. That take a level of prescience that I can't blame Meyers for not having.
Onus
RealGM

Post#580 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm

vvoland wrote:I also don't think it's clear that Franz will become the better player. It was obvious last year but became less obvious during JKs Jan/Feb this season. It may be just a coincidence that the minute the magic's games started to matter, Franz's shot fell off a cliff. We'll see him in the playoffs this year so it''ll make some things clear. Franz has also had all the minutes he could handle in his first 3 seasons. Would he look anywhere near the player he became with the magic if he was stuck behind wigs, klay, beli, gp2, opj, dray and let's not forget anthony lamb during his first two seasons?

It's not even about who will become the better player 10 years from now. It really should've been who will help the team win another championship. I don't think it's particular close that Franz has had a better 3 years than JK. Franz is also playing with a worse team and out of position to accommodate Paolo. That's what's so appealing about Franz his skillset is really that of a complementary player. He's a great off ball defender. He knows how to move on ball and off ball on offense. Passes and sets screens. Maybe Franz doesn't play his first year since OPJ was really good for us. But he's playing over Lamb without a doubt.
Pretty sure murphy would be better than moody in any situation but the rest of this board is much higher on MM than I am. Not sure Sengun is allowed to crater the defense and make as many mistakes as the focal point of the offense on this team. Actually, I am sure - he would not be allowed to do any of that. Hindsight is 20/20 and missing on picks hurt. Getting literally 0 value back for wiseman was awful. Not the drafting but not recognizing soon enough he wouldn't fit and moving him for something that can contribute (hell, even sadiq bey would have been preferable to gp2, whom they could have just signed).

The real move that draft year would have been drafting lamelo and moving him the following summer. That take a level of prescience that I can't blame Meyers for not having.

Sengun would be different for sure. Who knows how he would've developed here. We did start Wiseman though even though he wasn't ready.

The wiseman draft we know the picks and players weren't highly sought after. The rumored offer was #4 + WCJ for #2. Like meh. Yea it would've been better to do that in hindsight but that's a hard sell so whatever.

Return to Golden State Warriors