ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,057

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#61 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:02 pm

510TWSS wrote:see what you can get for Kuminga + cp3. We need someone that is wing height or better that can actually dribble.

Dejounte Murray, and funny enough, LeBron James, are the only 2 vets that have any rumblings of being available that I'd have any interest in

And in both cases the offer starts with CP3+JK. LeBron's value would be insanely tricky.. DJM's more straight-forward. But since he got hot to close the year, ATL will likely be trying to sell high. Thing is though, if DJM and Trae are both on their roster before next season, they **** up. So I'd be putting pressure on them all offseason
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,052

Post#62 » by Jester_ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am

Biggest offseason since 2016. Let's see if MDJ has balls or is another weak chinned company man.

If our 2nd best player next year is from our roster this year, the era is over and Warriors are done for good.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,785

Post#63 » by Upperclass » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 am

Warriors are winning the 2025 Title imo based on the amount of tradeable talent thats on the roster.

Trade Draymond as they shouldve the moment he punched Poole. He can net a Sengun, Wendell Carter, Capela/AJ Griffin or see if you can swing a Dray/Wiggins for Paul George.

Resign Klay on a small deal if he wants to return, otherwise S&T him to where he wants to go.

Trade CP3, Kuminga, Moody for Jerami Grant, Robert Williams, and 2-2nds, or CP3 for Keldon Johnson

Trade Wiggins for Poeltl
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#64 » by B-King » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 am

If the plan is to try and remain competitive the last few years of Curry's career, you can't get off Thompson. There isn't a path to replace him with a more productive player during that time frame. Moody is still an unknown. He shows some nice flashes, but in very limited minutes and Podz is your CP3 replacement.

The Dubs are dealing from such a position of weakness, all I can suggest is:

1. Keep Curry
2. Everyone else is on the block if the return is decent.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#65 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 am

Their only path to a retool is to package cp3 and jk, they're simply no other avenue to improve the team.

Replacing klay, cp3 and jk for an actual no.2 should be a priority if it's other there, preferably at the sg spot. I'd move gp2 too as well. That's 90M that could be jettisoned.

Steph makes 50.
Dray, wiggins, tjd, podz, and moody make about 60M.
Loon has a partially guaranteed deal.

That gives you some flexibility. But it's all moot if the lacob is he'll bent on keeping jk, klay, or cp3.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,305

Post#66 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:37 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

That's Kerr, not scouts. We had better players in-house in Moody, JK, ddv, and even JMG. Those 4 could have gotten all the lamb/jerome minutes but Kerr just wouldn't have it. I wish we would bring up g-league players almost like a baseball team so as to see who can stick at an nba level. Like rotate 4-6 of them during a season and maybe we find a jasean tate or whatever...

So you agree that we do give UDFA or 2 way players playing time. So young talent should have no qualms to want to play here.

Kerr does play rookies and young players throughout his career. He doesn't play players who don't know how to play team basketball yet. Though he did give Wiseman ample time. He just doesn't like Moody for whatever reason.

I think what they see is that their peers like Wiseman, Kuminga and Moody got jacked around. It doesn't really matter why. It's just what these dudes talk about.

I mean wiseman got playing time. JK is getting playing time. Moody though has a serious gripe.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#67 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 pm

A couple other moves they should make:

Lockup Festus long term for the studio team, he does a great job

Replace Fitz with Kerith Burke
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,057

Post#68 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:So you agree that we do give UDFA or 2 way players playing time. So young talent should have no qualms to want to play here.

Kerr does play rookies and young players throughout his career. He doesn't play players who don't know how to play team basketball yet. Though he did give Wiseman ample time. He just doesn't like Moody for whatever reason.

I think what they see is that their peers like Wiseman, Kuminga and Moody got jacked around. It doesn't really matter why. It's just what these dudes talk about.

I mean wiseman got playing time. JK is getting playing time. Moody though has a serious gripe.

Wiseman got dumped into a large role after missing most of a college season AND not even getting to practice with the team.. JK had to go to the media to get a fair shake. I think all of them have a serious gripe but for slightly different reasons. But all roads lead back to Kerr and how he views roles/minutes, and also how he views accountability. I'd have to imagine that young players are aware of this by now. Old players too
Onus
RealGM

Post#69 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Wiseman got dumped into a large role after missing most of a college season AND not even getting to practice with the team.. JK had to go to the media to get a fair shake. I think all of them have a serious gripe but for slightly different reasons. But all roads lead back to Kerr and how he views roles/minutes, and also how he views accountability. I'd have to imagine that young players are aware of this by now. Old players too

Steve being a hypocrite is what really throws everything out of whack and I wouldn't want to play for him either.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,153

Post#70 » by TB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm

couple thoughts:

- Shocked how many people are still plugging Klay into their "planned" starting lineups. I am well aware that he still spaces the floor and we have a lack of shooting. But his defense alongside Steph is only going to get worse. His only role on this team should be a microwave scorer off the bench for 15m max (and he can be really good at this role!). Anything other than that and we gotta let him walk.

- While I would absolutely use Kuminga/Moody/other assets to bring in a legit Allstar level player, its a bit maddening that the year we might actually make that move is after getting through all the "rough" years you have to deal with when you draft young players.... so the years we really needed help for Steph, we chose holding on to young players learning the game/system, and now in year 4 when they may be actually ready to contribute to a winning team, we are going to trade them. And if they do trade them, its sort of admitting not trading them the last 3 years was a poor decision (which it was). The return on these players (unless its a Murray/Lauri or better type player) may not be much better than what they can now start providing on the court. Awful asset management by Bob Myers in critical Steph years.
Onus
RealGM

Post#71 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:13 pm

Klay can't come back at any cost. Kerr has proven time and time again he's unable to coach Klay moving forward.

Also interesting that Podz expects the ball to be more in his hands moving forward. He has to be the backup pg moving forward. We really need to get bigger and be able to shoot. Hopefully Moody can grab that starting sg spot and Lester can fill that backup 2 guard role. A big wing that can shoot and play defense is our biggest need moving forward.

Curry/Podz
Moody/Lester
Wiggins/GP2/Gui
Dray/JK
TJD/Looney/Usman

That's 2 spots to fill. 1 spot goes to #52 (Karaban would be great or Jalen Bridges). Seriously I'd look to get Mark Sears or Jaxson Robinson as a UDFA to fill that last spot or if Javonte Green is willing to come back as a vet min. I'd be completely fine with moving forward with this team next year.

If there's a trade for JK + CP3 out there I'd look at that as well, but I'm find running it back like that.
TB
General Manager

Post#72 » by TB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 pm

An elephant in the room is the fact that we really dont want Dray playing full-time at center.... and we probably won't play Kuminga at the 3 if he doesn't drastically improve his shooting.... and we can't go into year 4 moving Kuminga back to the bench.

We may be in a situation where one of Kuminga/Dray has to go. Obviously Dray is way better and compliments Steph perfectly while running our defense. But if trading Kuminga isn't getting us a legit player that moves the needle and the front office wants to keep Kuminga long term, it might be time to soft-rebuild and aim for the 6-10 seed range with a young roster led by Steph.

It may not be my preferred route, but something like:

- CP3 expiring and multiple picks for Murray.
- Draymond to Houston for Adams and Tate.

Steph / Podz
Murray / Klay / GP2
Wiggins / Moody
Kuminga / Tate
Adams / Trayce / Loon

I've got Klay/Loon/GP2 in there, but realize bringing someone back with CP3 contract likely means to get the tax bill down we will need to 1) restructure GP2 like he mentioned, 2) maybe lose Loon, 3) let Klay walk. So in that scenario, we just try to hit the vet minimum market for as much shooting as possible.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#73 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 pm

This team literally can't afford to prioritize Klay and Wiggins over Moody and Kuminga going forward. Literally the guy most on the come up according to DARKO at least, was the most overlooked Warriors. The 11th man on a team that couldn't get past the playin. A 21-year old who has way more ahead of him than behind him. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#74 » by billinder33 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:44 pm

Ultimately this offseason will be about cleaning up the cap. I doubt Lacob will be interested in blowing out the cap or jettisoning the youth to give Steph a longshot title attempt unless there's some unicorn deal to be made for a prime-age impact wing like Booker or JJaxJr.

Expiring contracts are generally trade deadline opportunities, meaning CP3 has limited offseason trade value. Therefore he will most likely be let go.

Podz will absorb much of CP3's current responsibilities. Podz is basically the engine of the post-Steph future, and I don't think the Ws will trade that away just to be a 5th or 6th seed in the West, nor should they.

TJD's future here is kind of a lesser version of the Podz story. Ws need a starter-level big for the future, and I doubt there will be any viable replacement coming back in trade. So TJD is probably here to stay.

Dray is almost untradable given his instability and his value to the Ws far exceeding the value he would bring to some other team. So he likely starts the season in a Ws uni.

Klay will find out there's no market for his services and come back on a 2/24 deal or less, or hopefully just retire a legend who walked away from the game at the right time.

JK will likely get an opportunity to demonstrate continued growth up to the trade deadline.

What's left is basically a garbage pile of uninteresting assets - Wiggs, GP2, Moody, Saric, Loony. I could see Wiggs +JK+ maybe even Dray + one of the others being moved in a trade deadline deal for a big-time disgruntled asset like Embid, Giannis, Zion. IMO this is the most likely path to being a WC contender. Barring that unlikely scenario, I think we should all buckle down for another mediocre season and WC play-in slot.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#75 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:51 pm

There's really nothing out there.

Guys like Bruce brown and Dillon Brooks are getting 20M per year.

Lavine looks like the only guy available that could masquerade as a no.2.

But, I'd want at least Caruso in any return for a CP3 + jk package + filler.

Steph/podz
Lavine/Caruso
Wiggins/Moody
Dray/Santos/wiggins/moody/Draft pick/FA
Tjd/loon

I wouldn't be mad at that. You could even play 3 guard line ups as long as one of them is Caruso.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 221

Post#76 » by sonnyhill » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:I mean wiseman got playing time. JK is getting playing time. Moody though has a serious gripe.

Steve being a hypocrite is what really throws everything out of whack and I wouldn't want to play for him either.

The Warrior "culture" was broken by Kerr when he immediately pulled Poole (btw, I am not a huge Poole fan nor a Poole apologist, either) out of the starting lineup and immediately put Thompson into it upon Thompson's return from injury.

WTF?

Even Curry came off the bench in the playoffs vs Denver upon his own return from injury.

It is more-than-obvious that Kerr's double-talking, passive-aggressiveness when it comes to distributing roles and minutes to the younger players are problems.

Another Michael Jordan Kerr ass-whipping might be needed again.
Onus
RealGM

Post#77 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:There's really nothing out there.

Guys like Bruce brown and Dillon Brooks are getting 20M per year.

Lavine looks like the only guy available that could masquerade as a no.2.

But, I'd want at least Caruso in any return for a CP3 + jk package + filler.

Steph/podz
Lavine/Caruso
Wiggins/Moody
Dray/Santos/wiggins/moody/Draft pick/FA
Tjd/loon

I wouldn't be mad at that. You could even play 3 guard line ups as long as one of them is Caruso.

Yea we're not doing anything in FA.

I would've only looked at Lavine if we were trading it for Klay's contract. Now that Klay's contract is either going to expire or he's going to be here for another 2 years I wouldn't touch Lavine at any cost.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

This team at best has an MLE to spend.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TB
General Manager

Post#79 » by TB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 pm

I hate that I'm leaning towards a mini-rebuild by moving on from Dray/Klay, since they are two of my all-time favorite players. I just dont trust Kerr/Klay to utilize him correctly. And with Dray, he is still our 2nd best player but he's 1 temper tantrum away from a huge suspension. There is also a part of me that thinks Dray/Klay need to be off the roster for Kuminga/Moody to mentally take the next step.

Dray to me is the most underrated player of his era, but I do think we can fight for a playoff spot if we were able to trade him for a Adams or Lopez type center while also replacing Klay with a Dejounte Murray type. A lineup of Steph, Murray, Wiggins, Kuminga, Lopez with Podz, Moody, Trayce, GP2 etc off the bench should still be competitive.

edit - and obviously this is assuming we miss on any massive trade opportunities to bring in a legit all-star to play next to steph/dray.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,987

Post#80 » by whatisacenter » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Just listened to the Mike Dunleavy Junior press conference, and it was quite disappointing. Get ready for more of the same.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to Golden State Warriors