Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,815

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#101 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 am

Wiretap mentioning GS looking at a Wiggins trade. Makes sense to me. I’m ready for youth with Curry and Dray being the mentors.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#102 » by watch1958 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 am

I’m expecting this to be the longest offseason. Though last year will be hard to beat.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 19

Post#103 » by RUN-TJM » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 am

floppymoose wrote:Wiretap mentioning GS looking at a Wiggins trade. Makes sense to me. I’m ready for youth with Curry and Dray being the mentors.

Only Andrew Wiggins can go from being untradable at the T-Wolves, to the 2nd best player on a Championship team, to a team friendly contract and then back to borderline untradable.

It’s always the risk with this guy. Had the talent to be Scottie Pippen Version 2.0 but has a dash of Derrick Coleman indifference thrown in which has stifled his consistency and development.

I’d like to see us keep Draymond, Curry, JK, Moody, Podz and TJD then load up with younger talent. If we can turn Wiggs into a 25 year old starter, all the better.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#104 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

The glass half empty case for Wiggins is obvious so i wont bother with it. The glass half full for some team considering him is:
He did appear to be committing more mentally to the game later in the season. If his personal/family issues resolve its not a stretch to think he could turn into a decent two way player again. I’m not sure what the right value is for him but i would settle for a mid 1st and an expiring deal.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#105 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

RUN-TJM wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Wiretap mentioning GS looking at a Wiggins trade. Makes sense to me. I’m ready for youth with Curry and Dray being the mentors.

Only Andrew Wiggins can go from being untradable at the T-Wolves, to the 2nd best player on a Championship team, to a team friendly contract and then back to borderline untradable.

It’s always the risk with this guy. Had the talent to be Scottie Pippen Version 2.0 but has a dash of Derrick Coleman indifference thrown in which has stifled his consistency and development.

I’d like to see us keep Draymond, Curry, JK, Moody, Podz and TJD then load up with younger talent. If we can turn Wiggs into a 25 year old starter, all the better.

If Wiggins is getting dumped, I suspect it's to use that 25M salary slot to extend klay.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#106 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
RUN-TJM wrote:

If Wiggins is getting dumped, I suspect it's to use that 25M salary slot to extend klay.

You’re giving me nightmares
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,444

Post#107 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 am

I can see something like this happening:

Toronto gets Wiggins (going back to Canada)
Atlanta gets Bruce Brown (cap relief), Podz and picks
Golden State gets Dejounte Murray

I believe an underrated aspect in Wiggins getting traded is Toronto showing interest to bring him home, and stepping in as a 3rd team.

I'm not sure if we are going to absorb more long term money, though. Even if we let CP3 go and re-sign Klay for what would be roughly half of his old deal.

Also, we all know it doesn't matter if Klay re-signs for 1 dollar or for 400 million/year, the problem is he will take lots of minutes in the rotation who should go to Moody, etc.

A "Klay as a super sub, playing 24 mins/game and not closing games, and being benched early on when he struggles" scenario simply won't happen at all, due to Kerr.

It will be an "8 or 80" situation, either Klay stays and continues tanking the team's upside, or he goes to another team and this forces Kerr to adapt and play Moody more, adjust rotations, sub patterns, etc.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#108 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am

General manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. said Moody “hasn’t probably played as much as we’d like.”

“So that will be something we’ll look at,” Dunleavy said. “I think it’s really important coming into Year Four for him that there is some reasonable playing time available for him where he can impact our team and be out there and continue to improve and I think that’s a fair thing.”
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#109 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am

floppymoose wrote:
General manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. said Moody “hasn’t probably played as much as we’d like.”

“So that will be something we’ll look at,” Dunleavy said. “I think it’s really important coming into Year Four for him that there is some reasonable playing time available for him where he can impact our team and be out there and continue to improve and I think that’s a fair thing.”

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=h04jzpYaK3WCFqMaxKX3iQ
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#110 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 am

Is that Dunleavy-speak for "Klay gone"?
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#111 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 am

Onus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Read on Twitter

Kerr was on 95.7 the other day and said something very similar about moody. In that interview, he focused more on the decision making and defense while in this one he talked more about his shot needing to be quicker and giving up the advantage on offense when he drives instead of shoots. I personally agree on the latter but don't know enough about the scheme on either end to judge the former.

From that tone and context it's very hard to see moody back with the team unless they trade Wiggins
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#112 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 am

First thing I thought of when I saw the Wiggins bit:

- Klay's coming back
- they might actually be making room for Moody for once

Of course, the ideal situation would be having Klay walk and Moody walking into that spot.. but really, since the days of meaningful wins are likely over for a while, getting Moody a regular spot is the priority. As is cashing out on Wiggins when you can.. and Wiggins on a bad team does *not* have much value
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#113 » by sonnyhill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 am

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Read on Twitter

Kerr was on 95.7 the other day and said something very similar about moody. In that interview, he focused more on the decision making and defense while in this one he talked more about his shot needing to be quicker and giving up the advantage on offense when he drives instead of shoots. I personally agree on the latter but don't know enough about the scheme on either end to judge the former.

From that tone and context it's very hard to see moody back with the team unless they trade Wiggins

Yet, Moody was drafted out of college as a shooting guard.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#114 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I can see something like this happening:

Toronto gets Wiggins (going back to Canada)
Atlanta gets Bruce Brown (cap relief), Podz and picks
Golden State gets Dejounte Murray

I believe an underrated aspect in Wiggins getting traded is Toronto showing interest to bring him home, and stepping in as a 3rd team.

I'm not sure if we are going to absorb more long term money, though. Even if we let CP3 go and re-sign Klay for what would be roughly half of his old deal.

Also, we all know it doesn't matter if Klay re-signs for 1 dollar or for 400 million/year, the problem is he will take lots of minutes in the rotation who should go to Moody, etc.

A "Klay as a super sub, playing 24 mins/game and not closing games, and being benched early on when he struggles" scenario simply won't happen at all, due to Kerr.

It will be an "8 or 80" situation, either Klay stays and continues tanking the team's upside, or he goes to another team and this forces Kerr to adapt and play Moody more, adjust rotations, sub patterns, etc.

Not a bad plan, but I'd rather have Markelle Fultz than Murray, and Thompson is fine as a fourth option starter platooning with Moody at SF.

Dump Paul (bad defensive fit with Curry) , Wiggins (overpaid and uninspiring), Podziemski (bad defensive fit with Curry), Payton (need to fill his defensive role with more of a ball-handler), and Looney (fine with keeping for a locker room presence, but may need to go to trim payroll).

Acquire: Markelle Fultz and Delon Wright (two tall defensive ball-handlers who will allow Curry to play mostly off-ball and provide some much-needed penetration on offense). Also, bring-on Danilo Gallinari as a fourth forward:

PG - Fultz - Wright
SG - Curry - (Wright/Moody)
C - Green - Davis
PF - Kuminga - (Gallinari/Davis)
SF - Thompson - Moody
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 456

Post#115 » by Romulus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 am

Let me get this straight. Kerr admits the roster needs change, yet he wants everyone back. Is that it?
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#116 » by Nvnervous45 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:05 am

The trade podz crew is baffling quite honestly. A 21 year old rookie who had 9.2 pts, 5.8 rebs, and 3.7 assists per game. I'd make him the back up point guard when Paul leaves. Wiggs has got to go though, his heart isn't in the game. With his buddy Poole gone, his personal matter, and inconsistent effort, he's checked out. We just need to trade picks and wiggs for a starting caliber off guard.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Post#117 » by svart » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 am

sonnyhill wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yet, Moody was drafted out of college as a shooting guard.

he can't be a shooting guard on this team while kerr and klay are here.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,282

Post#118 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am

The issue with Wiggins isn't his motor or passion or whatever.

It's that his shot looks bad a lot of the times. That's not simply a matter of desire.

I don't know why nobody has tried to rebuild his mechanics over the course of his career.

Plenty of players have successfully changed their form.

He's not the only wing struggling. Franz has shot 19% from 3 in the back half of the season. But Orlando has no choice, has to hope first that his shots fall in this upcoming playoffs series and he will be better next season and beyond his rookie contract. No doubt they will give him a big extension, even though if he can't shoot at least 34%, he's a very impaired player.

Warriors may be in a similar position, just like around midseason when they kept playing Wiggins and his shot did look better for a stretch.

Otherwise, they would get back pennies on the dollar so they may have no choice but to encourage Wiggins to shoot all summer as well as hit the weights.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#119 » by superunknown » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 am

yes right, let's package our best perimeter defender (one of the best in the league) to keep a washed guy who cannot defend anymore to save his life, even at a discount rate.
if the goal is to keep competing you try to improve the roster not to weaken it. so unless you can get a wing who can defend, rebound and give you 16-17 points per game you don't trade wiggins.
klay needs to walk. the only scenario he can stay is he accepts a huuge paycut (MLE exception) and a reduce role as a gunner from the bench (15 mins max a game). and ofc kerr plays him 15 mins max a game. otherwise he needs to walk. he (and kerr) has damaged this squad enough in the last 2 seasons.
also, if the goal is to maximize curry's last seasons, you try to package paul' contract + picks + youngsters (including podz) to get a star player. you let him walk only if there is no meaningful trade available in july.
green must be given an ultimatum: another incident like the gobert/nurkic one and he is traded at the first available opportunity. enough with his antics, they have damaged this squad enough too.
trade GPII, he's hardly available for a reason or another one, enough with this too.
sign & trade kuminga if there is a good trade available. otherwise you sign him and keep him until that trade becomes available hoping he keeps improving.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#120 » by superunknown » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

floppymoose wrote:

what the hell is it supposed to meam now?
if that was the feeling why he didn't make sure moody got more playing time during the season?!

Return to Golden State Warriors