ImageImageImageImageImage

Am I the only one that's ok with letting Klay/Draymond ride it out

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Re: Am I the only one that's ok with letting Klay/Draymond ride it out 

Post#21 » by bicycle » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 am

Yeah, good point on the playing with joy bit. The Knicks were that team this year, and they performed well above what their health suggested they should have.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#22 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Fans would almost certainly be ok with it if Kerr managed minutes correctly.. if Kerr had left and a new coach came in, one who wasn't beholden to Klay for whatever reason, and Klay was getting his minutes clipped.. narrative changes for a lot of folks. Klay's no longer the target, he's more likely a sympathetic figure, provided he's not whining about it

And no, being aimless for a couple years as a "thank you" to these players is not necessary nor should it be. They were paid to do a job.. and they did it well. Thats why they got paid again. But its a disservice to everyone in the building, all the youth on the team, everyone in the organization besides them, if the team is like "lets have a 2 year victory lap where we accomplish nothing and go nowhere"
Hmm, maybe a Warriors nostalgia run in Reno. Or maybe build a court at some fancy winery and play a dinner show. Fleetwood Mac could be the opening act.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,403

Post#23 » by svart » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 am

Coxy wrote:No you're not alone, I'm fine with it as well.

I want them all to retire at the same time, then we can do a full rebuild, which is what I want.

The only issue with that is Curry said he still wants to win.

You can't have both.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#24 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:07 pm

giordunk wrote:I remember how mediocre the Warriors used to be, then we had one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history. Turn on the TV, Warriors down double digits in the third, I'd be 80% confident that we turn around and win the game. We felt immortal and it's because we had the trio of Steph, Klay, and Draymond.

Steph has maybe 3ish years left of being a top 10 player in the NBA.

If we let Klay walk and/or trade Draymond, there's really nothing short of acquiring a guy of Jokic/Giannis/Embiid/Luka etc., that would turn us into a contender. I don't know if there's anyone we can get that could put us past Denver or whatever OKC/Minnesota developers into in over the next few seasons.

Like... I think it hurts me a bit when people are so quick to say Klay/Draymond is washed and we need to get rid of him. Those guys really gave us everything in their careers. Is it really that bad to watch a few mores seasons of 40-win basketball when we literally just had arguably the greatest dynasty in American sports?

Getting rid of Klay and Dray will turn Moody into a superstar and then Moody will lead us to a chamionship.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#25 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:11 am

If you're that nostalgic about the core 3, go watch old videos. These guys got paid millions upon millions and won a ton together.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#26 » by azwfan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:21 am

If they say they just want to ride with the geezers thats fine, just dont pretend theyre desperately trying to win another title and submarine any more young guys’ career by blaming them for their own f-ups in the meantime.

Trade Podz, Kuminga, TJD, and Moody for as many unprotected picks 3 years from now as possible. Then sign as many vet gleaguers, former high pick cast-offs and geezers as possible to fill out the roster.

Is Wiseman a FA?
How about Johnny Davis?

Curry, Cp3 (MlE), Quiones
Klay, Davis, Spencer
Wiggins, Santos, Robinson
Green, Garuba, 2nd rdr
Looney, Wiseman

The great thing about this group is we’ll get a nice high draft pick in a supposedly strong draft and we really could blame the “non-core” for sucking.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,052

Post#27 » by Jester_ » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:44 am

Some of y'all are insane.

You want to let them ride it out? That means another, what, 3 years of mediocrity? And then we start a full rebuild, which means it could be another 7+ years before we're even back in the playoffs?

This explains the braindead takes on this board - most of you obviously don't watch any games. Nobody who actually watches this team wants to spend the next 3 years watching the corpse of Draymond punch people so we can finally start rebuilding in 2030

Wtf are you all smoking get help
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#28 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:37 am

Jester_ wrote:Some of y'all are insane.

You want to let them ride it out? That means another, what, 3 years of mediocrity? And then we start a full rebuild, which means it could be another 7+ years before we're even back in the playoffs?

This explains the braindead takes on this board - most of you obviously don't watch any games. Nobody who actually watches this team wants to spend the next 3 years watching the corpse of Draymond punch people so we can finally start rebuilding in 2030

Should we trade everybody on our team plus cash for future draft picks?

I have mixed feelings about the hard tank rebuild model.
Hard tanks getting a bunch off lottery picks don’t work if the lottery picks do not turn into good players.
Some drafts like the Wiseman draft had only one good player in the top 7 picks.
Curry taken at 7 was not the result of a hard tank.
Webber, Owens, Spree, big Vic, Gatling had talent and loved each other but they were spoiled babies with bad attitudes.

Do talented rookies need character guy teammates to help the rookies grow up correctly?

The hard fails more often than it succeeds but is at least being proactive and trying to build a champion. What is the alternative to hard tank; doing nothing and hoping to get lucky by drafting Curry at 7?

Scout the drafts years a head to try to accumulate lottery picks in a draft that acually has good players. Having the top 10 picks in the Wiseman draft will not produce a championship.
DB23
Junior
And1: 394

Post#29 » by DB23 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:47 am

If dray and klay were aging gracefully then for sure. But they are not.

What I mean by that is klay accepting a bench role, accepting lesser money and helping the kids grow. And for dray, not ruining entire seasons because you can’t control yourself.

The money we have committed means it’s impossible to put a contender around Steph and they have been 0 help on the court for two seasons now. + it will only get worse. In many ways both of them are ruining the tale end of Steph’s career.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#30 » by sjballer03 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 am

At this point it's obvious the vets have more control over the team than the coaching staff and upper management. Everybody is giving Steph a pass but does he not realize what's going on? If he wants to ride it out with his bffs klay and dray so be it.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#31 » by superunknown » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:48 am

if steph is ok with it then episodes like the chair-kicking in ORL were lebron-level farce.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#32 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:28 am

Jester_ wrote:Some of y'all are insane.

Bingo. Embarrassing chest pounding by fans, I'm sure some of these guys think they are better because they're supporting Draymond and Klay (and Kerr) throughout this nonsense. The Warriors are a laughingstock right now. The highest wage bill in the league and finishing 10th, then losing to a team who was missing some of their best players.. who then lost to a Zion-less Pels. That's how **** the Warriors are. :lol:

Here's a crazy tip. If it was that important for Dray, Klay and Steph to play as Warriors all their life and compete, why didn't they put their money where their mouth is? Dray could have gotten a 10 million/year contract, Klay 7-8 million, and Steph 25 million. They all take discounts and the team can then move around and adjust accordingly to also compete. But no, they want the max that they can get (which, I'm not counting peoples' money), and still retire at the same club. They might be lucky though because this dumb lightyears organization is willing to do it. Can't wait for the massive long-term extension of Klay in the next 2-3 months. :banghead:
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#33 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:29 am

superunknown wrote:if steph is ok with it then episodes like the chair-kicking in ORL were lebron-level farce.

Yup. Don't get angry, don't whine, and don't pout then Steph. Suck it up, and be **** with your friends. You cannot have it both ways.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,403

Post#34 » by svart » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:10 pm

superunknown wrote:if steph is ok with it then episodes like the chair-kicking in ORL were lebron-level farce.

i guess he still really believes that he can win with klay and dray

so will will have the #HeBelieves years :(

sadly, i don't believe.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,153

Post#35 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:49 pm

You can still build a contender with them both on the team. But its going to take:

- Klay pivoting his role and style of play. Players have done it before, he just needs to commit to it. 15m or less a season, bench role looking for floor spacing and efficient shooting. Kerr has a lot to do with this one.

- Dray is still a great player. He needs to control his emotions and also cut back on minutes so Kuminga/Trayce/Moody get the minutes they need. Essentially start becoming what David Lee was for him.

- With CP3 salary gone and Klay at 15m, the MLE becomes available. An absolute must that 2 FAs are nailed. Example would be Goga for 8-10m a year and then a backup PG like Kris Dunn that can guard 1s or 2s.

If Kuminga/Moody/Podz/Trayce all improve, I think you can be a top 6 seed. The big X factor will be if players expected to shoot well can actually shoot well. Wiggins back closer to 40%, Kuminga/Dray letting it fly to up confidence and spacing, Podz/Moody letting it fly closer to 40% as well.

Steph / Podz / Quinones
Wiggins / Dunn / GP2
Kuminga / Klay / Rookie
Dray / Moody / Santos
Goga / Trayce / Loon

In a perfect world, Moody or Podz take a massive leap and Dray also goes to a bench role (with Manu/Iggy level minutes and impact to keep him ready for postseason).
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,308

Post#36 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:53 pm

Impuniti wrote:

Yup. Don't get angry, don't whine, and don't pout then Steph. Suck it up, and be **** with your friends. You cannot have it both ways.

Steph's not going to publicly not back his guys. He's also not going to go behind their backs and say get rid of them. But he wants to win first and foremost. He'll be fine if Klay isn't back.

Yall posters that want him to outright say get rid of Klay and / or Dray to the media or the front office want him to be a prima donna like Lebron just confuse me.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,153

Post#37 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:13 pm

With Klay there is nothing Steph should have to do or say to sign off on anything.

MDJ should offer him 2/30 for a pencilled in bench role. If Klay wants to take more money or a bigger role elsewhere, thats his decision.

Dray would be trickier. Because any trade would obviously need Steph sign-off. But a scenario where he's traded for, lets say Dejounte Murray, just takes a tough conversation of "Ya I had to sign off on this... I need a scorer next to me that can handle the ball... they didn't want Wiggins or Kuminga, and clearly pairing Trae with an all-time defender may be the one thing that gets them over the hump... also felt this is a good landing spot for you with TNT in Atlanta, you can really turn their team around and have off-court success".... lol just trust Steph to smooth any drama out.

But, like mentioned above, Steph would never demand anything or say anything in public prior. He's not that type of dude, which is part of why we have had so much success.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#38 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:29 pm

Onus wrote:
Impuniti wrote:

Steph's not going to publicly not back his guys. He's also not going to go behind their backs and say get rid of them. But he wants to win first and foremost. He'll be fine if Klay isn't back.

Yall posters that want him to outright say get rid of Klay and / or Dray to the media or the front office want him to be a prima donna like Lebron just confuse me.

I don't want him to come out and put Klay down. But everything suggests that Steph has had his "boys" back throughout these last few years. What he should have done is minded his business and let the FO do their work.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,308

Post#39 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:02 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Onus wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Yup. Don't get angry, don't whine, and don't pout then Steph. Suck it up, and be **** with your friends. You cannot have it both ways.

I don't want him to come out and put Klay down. But everything suggests that Steph has had his "boys" back throughout these last few years. What he should have done is minded his business and let the FO do their work.

In what way has he had his "boys" back, where he didn't let the FO do what they needed to do? He was fine with them trading Iguodala for salary space, who's actually closer to him than Dray and Klay are.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,060

Post#40 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:38 pm

svart wrote:

i guess he still really believes that he can win with klay and dray

so will will have the #HeBelieves years :(

sadly, i don't believe.

I think a leader is always going to say he believes in who he's currently rolling with.. but if you look at how he acted on-court this season, he was never like that previously. And he played with James Wiseman and Kelly Oubre at the same time for half a season, which doesnt *necessarily* justify kicking a puppy, I'm just saying I'd have some level of understanding if he did it

So for him to have some of the reactions he did to long time teammates.. his actions and words just arent lining up

Return to Golden State Warriors