ImageImageImageImageImage

Am I the only one that's ok with letting Klay/Draymond ride it out

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

giordunk
Analyst
And1: 493

Am I the only one that's ok with letting Klay/Draymond ride it out 

Post#1 » by giordunk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:11 pm

I remember how mediocre the Warriors used to be, then we had one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history. Turn on the TV, Warriors down double digits in the third, I'd be 80% confident that we turn around and win the game. We felt immortal and it's because we had the trio of Steph, Klay, and Draymond.

Steph has maybe 3ish years left of being a top 10 player in the NBA.

If we let Klay walk and/or trade Draymond, there's really nothing short of acquiring a guy of Jokic/Giannis/Embiid/Luka etc., that would turn us into a contender. I don't know if there's anyone we can get that could put us past Denver or whatever OKC/Minnesota developers into in over the next few seasons.

Like... I think it hurts me a bit when people are so quick to say Klay/Draymond is washed and we need to get rid of him. Those guys really gave us everything in their careers. Is it really that bad to watch a few mores seasons of 40-win basketball when we literally just had arguably the greatest dynasty in American sports?
i like peanuts
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Re: Am I the only one that's ok with letting Klay/Draymond ride it out 

Post#2 » by Dubs 707 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 pm

So tank?
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#3 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm

Life goes on. As much as you are okay with it, the majority would not. I remember when riding CalTrain to SF was a nightmare during the Giants title runs. After everyone got old or injured the train was empty during game days.

The same with 49ers during their championship years around the Candlestick area, traffic was a nightmare, the York years not so much.

People just won’t care if the Warriors decide to run it into the ground.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#4 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 am

giordunk wrote:I remember how mediocre the Warriors used to be, then we had one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history. Turn on the TV, Warriors down double digits in the third, I'd be 80% confident that we turn around and win the game. We felt immortal and it's because we had the trio of Steph, Klay, and Draymond.

If we let Klay walk and/or trade Draymond, there's really nothing short of acquiring a guy of Jokic/Giannis/Embiid/Luka etc., that would turn us into a contender. I don't know if there's anyone we can get that could put us past Denver or whatever OKC/Minnesota developers into in over the next few seasons.

Like... I think it hurts me a bit when people are so quick to say Klay/Draymond is washed and we need to get rid of him. Those guys really gave us everything in their careers. Is it really that bad to watch a few mores seasons of 40-win basketball when we literally just had arguably the greatest dynasty in American sports?

Yea, I'm with you on this. I'd rather see these guys finish their career as warriors than see them moved for expiring contracts and roster filler. IF there was a chance to move Dray or Klay and get back a piece that will make us title favorites, sure, I'd do that. Not sure anyone is lining up to give us their rising stars for our fading ones. Short of that, I'd gamble on these 3 putting it together than the next kelli oubre or dangelo russell figuring it out next to Steph.

I remember tooo many years of Keith Smart and Derek Fisher and Anthony Randolph and ... ... ... to want to see this run end before it's time. A year too early is typically better than a year too late. In this case, when you're dealing with one of the more iconic trios in the history of sports, I'd go with a year too late.

Steph, Klay, Dray are legends, not just in this city, but in the NBA as a whole and will be a historically great triumvirate if they can retire as warriors. The spurs moved off parker and that got them nothing but bad memories. Bulls had Grant and Rodman, neither of whom were longtime bulls and then Scottie and Mike played for other teams. That's how you get a widow of a late GM getting booed in the home arena.

Since the 60s, when the nba had like 6 teams, I can't think of another trio that won and did so with the team that drafted them until retirement. Half this board wants to chase the shiny new thing, can't really blame them. I'd like to see these 3 in the same jersey their entire career.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,052

Post#5 » by Jester_ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 am

giordunk wrote:I remember how mediocre the Warriors used to be, then we had one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history. Turn on the TV, Warriors down double digits in the third, I'd be 80% confident that we turn around and win the game. We felt immortal and it's because we had the trio of Steph, Klay, and Draymond.

We have Steph Curry and you think we need another Top 3 player in the league to compete? What?
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,102

Post#6 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 am

If we had a coach not attached to the past, I'd be fine with it. Klay as an off-the-bench scorer who you can play based on how hot he is, an average NBA coach would handle the situation just fine.

What I don't enjoy watching is Kerr basically publicly humiliating Klay. He puts Klay in these awful positions where he's likely to fail, then we all talk about how bad Klay is playing. He gets clowned on reddit, podcasts, radio, all of the above. It's embarrassing.

If Steve played Klay as he should be, a small minute backup, having Klay around would be nice. As is, it's just a car crash we're forced to watch over and over involving an ATG. It's one of the most painful fan experiences I've endured... that's why I'd rather see Klay go somewhere else. Steve is making this frustrating for all.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#7 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 am

Warriors high ticket cost and Arena/Team is anchor for Lacob real estate investment in the area they can never really tank in this market of alternative entertainment options
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#8 » by killmongrel » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 am

I don't understand this need from some fans to keep the warm and fuzzy feeling of keeping the core together at the expense of being able to compete for more championships. Keep them together for all I care. But keep them together because there is a path to putting together a roster that can contend for a title.

All of these guys have been paid for their services. The fans have cheered for them. What else do these guys need to feel appreciated? Direct your compassion to others who actually need it. Rich and famous athletes should be low on the list.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#9 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 am

killmongrel wrote:I don't understand this need from some fans to keep the warm and fuzzy feeling of keeping the core together at the expense of being able to compete for more championships. Keep them together for all I care. But keep them together because there is a path to putting together a roster that can contend for a title.

All of these guys have been paid for their services. The fans have cheered for them. What else do these guys need to feel appreciated? Direct your compassion to others who actually need it. Rich and famous athletes should be low on the list.

Warriors have offensive and defensive systems that have been successful.

Klay as an all time great 3pt shooter helps Curry stretch and disorient defenses.

Green is the versatile defensive anchor

People lack perspective, very few posters joined board b4 Mark Jackson playoff years. Championship make ups aren't easy to create.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#10 » by killmongrel » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:32 am

Warriorfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I don't understand this need from some fans to keep the warm and fuzzy feeling of keeping the core together at the expense of being able to compete for more championships. Keep them together for all I care. But keep them together because there is a path to putting together a roster that can contend for a title.

Klay as an all time great 3pt shooter helps Curry stretch and disorient defenses.

People lack perspective, very few posters joined board b4 Mark Jackson playoff years. Championship make ups aren't easy to create.

Okay cool. But what does this have to do with what the OP is talking about. He's saying he's okay with going forward with 40 win seasons as long as the core stays together. Screw that. I want the organization to figure out how to compete for more titles even if it means the core doesn't stay together.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#11 » by Coxy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 am

No you're not alone, I'm fine with it as well.

I want them all to retire at the same time, then we can do a full rebuild, which is what I want.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#12 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:52 am

killmongrel wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

Okay cool. But what does this have to do with what the OP is talking about. He's saying he's okay with going forward with 40 win seasons as long as the core stays together. Screw that. I want the organization to figure out how to compete for more titles even if it means the core doesn't stay together.

It was answer to you its more than just warm and fuzzy about certain players. It's knowing proper defensive rotations and proper passes as reaction to Curry gravity.

Green and Klay maximize what Curry does. Green relieves Curry from playmaking
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#13 » by Warriorfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 am

I see you are a long time poster. Very few here joined b4 the Mark Jackson playoff years and IMO lack perspective

I got 23 yrs in and a fan since the days of Rick Barry
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#14 » by killmongrel » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:03 am

Warriorfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

It was answer to you its more than just warm and fuzzy about certain players. It's knowing proper defensive rotations and proper passes as reaction to Curry gravity.

Green and Klay maximize what Curry does. Green relieves Curry from playmaking
And again, the OP's post was not about maximizing the team. It was about him being okay if the team is a 40 win team going forward because he's content as long as the core stays together just for the sake of feelings.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#15 » by billinder33 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 am

Dray is still a legit NBA player. If he can keep his tough guy clown act in check, then why not ride it?

Klay OTOH is barely hanging on as an NBA player. Kerr, Steph, Dray, and the Ws FO are all publicly saying positive things at this time, but behind the scenes they are certainly going to let Klay test the market, and deep down the FO probably hopes he takes an offer somewhere else. I'm not sure there's a real market around the league for Klay. Klay's D abandoned him with the injuries. And without his elite shooting, there's really nothing left of value.

A couple weeks ago I was thinking that after testing the FA waters, he'd be back at around 2/24. Now after last night's 0-10 sh*t show, his market price may be so low that Klay actually contemplates retirement instead. That would be best for the Ws FO and the fans, but I'm not sure Klay's aligned with that. Some players are content just getting paid to exercise and play ball, even if it means being a bit player a la late Vince Carter or Jeff Green.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#16 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 am

Coxy wrote:No you're not alone, I'm fine with it as well.

I want them all to retire at the same time, then we can do a full rebuild, which is what I want.
Except I don't view these guys as being happy playing basketball on a mediocre level. Steph really didn't look like he was enjoying things this year.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#17 » by B-King » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 am

The NBA is probably the hardest sport to build a contender. People forget how bad and for how long a stretch the Warriors were before Curry, Thompson and Green came along. I am very appreciative of this long run and know that they are no longer a dominant team. I have no issues with the team playing it out because there is no way to move off them and be more competitive.

Sure a lot of people on this board are banging the drum to move of Klay or Dray, but for what? I haven't seen one realistic scenario that is feasible posted on this board.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#18 » by bicycle » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:41 am

watch1958 wrote:
Coxy wrote:No you're not alone, I'm fine with it as well.

Except I don't view these guys as being happy playing basketball on a mediocre level. Steph really didn't look like he was enjoying things this year.

Exactly. Just keeping them here as mascots while we win 40 games and otherwise the team's minutes and efforts go towards building a young roster that isn't expected to be a playoff threat until after they retire would be more insulting than anything. I know some people think that's what we've been doing, but we've fielded the most expensive roster ever at the same time as we added rookies for a few years in order to make the cap number work, and this year the draftees contributed better than the vet mins tend to do. So on some level it worked out.

But it's clear it cannot continue to work. Steph, Klay, Dray, Wiggs, Loon (or Kuminga, or TJD, or Podz, or CP3, or Moody) is nowhere close to a championship starting lineup. If they're all here, they're going to want to know how we plan to give them a championship starting lineup.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,415

Post#19 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 am

If Lacob comes out and says, "we want to ride it out but won't be a championship team" I might be into it.

The real problem is they's guys are no longer playing with Joy. They're burnt out....got about 60 games a season in them and probably are kind of sick of each other if they were to admit it.

And you really can't play with Joy when you suck and have nothing to play for.

Curry would be better off traded to a contender, as opposed to letting these guys waste the last couple years.

So....nope. Either take a chip run seriously or start the rebuild/tank.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,060

Post#20 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 am

Fans would almost certainly be ok with it if Kerr managed minutes correctly.. if Kerr had left and a new coach came in, one who wasn't beholden to Klay for whatever reason, and Klay was getting his minutes clipped.. narrative changes for a lot of folks. Klay's no longer the target, he's more likely a sympathetic figure, provided he's not whining about it

And no, being aimless for a couple years as a "thank you" to these players is not necessary nor should it be. They were paid to do a job.. and they did it well. Thats why they got paid again. But its a disservice to everyone in the building, all the youth on the team, everyone in the organization besides them, if the team is like "lets have a 2 year victory lap where we accomplish nothing and go nowhere"

Return to Golden State Warriors