ImageImageImageImageImage

Who deserves most of the blame for this season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Who do we blame the most?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:21 pm

Dray
6%
Kerr
63%
Klay
3%
Lacob&Sons
9%
MDJ
3%
Wiggs
6%
CoJo(others)
11%

Total votes: 35

billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Re: Who deserves the most blame for this season? 

Post#41 » by billinder33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:11 pm

TB wrote:Now I will admit, without getting tin foil hat crazy, that there are a handful of challenges (mostly against Steph) that left my jaw on the floor that they didn't go Kerr's way... like obvious ones that seemed shady to not give to the Warriors. But the majority of his challenges I instantly say to myself "why challenge that" or "why is he not challenging that".

The NBA challenge system was broken from the beginning. It only exists to placate angry fans because "hey look guys, there's totally a process in place to stop our league's horrible refereeing problem from affecting games!!!!" while simultaneously legitimizing the onslaught bad judgement calls.

It was the exact same sh*tshow when the NFL allowed challenges to pass interference. They just continuously refused to overturn missed or egregiously bad judgement calls under the guise of "lacks clear and obvious evidence to overturn". It's a impossible standard to uphold on judgement calls.

If there's 5% reason to confirm and 95% reason to overturn, they will confirm almost every time. The slightest touch anywhere on a shooter can be considered a foul and will be enough to uphold a call, even though defenders get away with lots contact on most contested shots. Same with blocking calls - the slightest lower body movement can be used to justify a blocking call even though it's impossible to be 100% stationary even in the best charge-taking defensive positions.

So I can see how some NBA staffs might think there's no point in burning an early challenge unless it's something completely unambiguous like an out-of-bounds call in plain camera view; otherwise, best to just save the challenge until the end of the game when you might need it to overturn an obvious non-judgement call, or on the odd chance you might actually get a judgement foul overturned with the game on the line. And if that's the staff's strategy, they're probably going to lose a higher percentages of challenges, knowing that many of those end-of-game challenges will be longshots.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#42 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:16 pm

billinder33 wrote:
TB wrote:Now I will admit, without getting tin foil hat crazy, that there are a handful of challenges (mostly against Steph) that left my jaw on the floor that they didn't go Kerr's way... like obvious ones that seemed shady to not give to the Warriors. But the majority of his challenges I instantly say to myself "why challenge that" or "why is he not challenging that".

The NBA challenge system was broken from the beginning. It only exists to placate angry fans because "hey look guys, there's totally a process in place to stop our league's horrible refereeing problem from affecting games!!!!" while simultaneously legitimizing the onslaught bad judgement calls.

It was the exact same sh*tshow when the NFL allowed challenges to pass interference. They just continuously refused to overturn missed or egregiously bad judgement calls under the guise of "lacks clear and obvious evidence to overturn". It's a impossible standard to uphold on judgement calls.

If there's 5% reason to confirm and 95% reason to overturn, they will confirm almost every time. The slightest touch anywhere on a shooter can be considered a foul and will be enough to uphold a call, even though defenders get away with lots contact on most contested shots. Same with blocking calls - the slightest lower body movement can be used to justify a blocking call even though it's impossible to be 100% stationary even in the best charge-taking defensive positions.

So I can see how some NBA staffs might think there's no point in burning an early challenge unless it's something completely unambiguous like an out-of-bounds call in plain camera view; otherwise, best to just save the challenge until the end of the game when you might need it to overturn an obvious non-judgement call, or on the odd chance you might actually get a judgement foul overturned with the game on the line. And if that's the staff's strategy, they're probably going to lose a higher percentages of challenges, knowing that many of those end-of-game challenges will be longshots.

Just about every other team is over 50% in winning their challenges. We are at the bottom. Even if we agree the challenge system is broken, our use of the challenge system is even more broken and instead of trying to change the challenge system how about we get the challenge system to work for us first.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#43 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:35 pm

Onus wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

Just about every other team is over 50% in winning their challenges. We are at the bottom. Even if we agree the challenge system is broken, our use of the challenge system is even more broken and instead of trying to change the challenge system how about we get the challenge system to work for us first.

Agreed - broken systems are everywhere, its just a matter of finding how to make them work for you. The Warriors staff has had a hell of a time figuring that out

There's obviously some merit to the idea of holding onto them for serious situations and then being in a position where a late game challenge, with minimal chance of succeeding, is the only play (because why not). And its really hard to gauge that against other teams because no one watches enough games to accurately detail who's doing what in which situation. But it definitely feels like the Warriors' management of the challenge option has been bottom-tier
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#44 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:25 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

Agreed - broken systems are everywhere, its just a matter of finding how to make them work for you. The Warriors staff has had a hell of a time figuring that out

There's obviously some merit to the idea of holding onto them for serious situations and then being in a position where a late game challenge, with minimal chance of succeeding, is the only play (because why not). And its really hard to gauge that against other teams because no one watches enough games to accurately detail who's doing what in which situation. But it definitely feels like the Warriors' management of the challenge option has been bottom-tier

Did anyone see the thunder challenge pretty late in the game yesterday? Ball tipped out of bounds, refs don't see who touched it last. Call a jump ball between nance and chet. Seems like a pretty decent outcome for OKC considering they were on offense, have a chance at a 2nd possession and chet probably having an advantage over nance. Daginault challenges the jump ball. The replay was anything but conclusive and I have no idea how the refs saw that it was off chet. In any case, OKC 'wins' the challenge since it's not a jump ball. NOP gets possession. OKC loses a time out even though the challenge was successful. I really like how OKC plays and I give a lot of credit to their coaching staff. That was a very weird challenge and I'm really curious what they were thinking (trade a possible possession for a free TO is what I'm guessing).
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#45 » by B-King » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 am

You live and die with Dray. We had a great run, now I am ready to watch the Thelma & Louise ending for our big 3.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,036

Post#46 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 am

It seems like most of you think this was a good roster with a poor coach.

Kerr wasn't great but this roster was going anywhere from the jump.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,845

Post#47 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:49 am

whatisacenter wrote:I voted MDJ for the crappy roster but it’s really the entire front office. Didn’t love the job Kerr did and Draymond has derailed the last two seasons.

Season 1 of inheriting the dying dynasty and it’s his fault? He drafted Podz & TJD and got off of Pooles contract. Saric was seen as a win and I like cojo signing
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#48 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:50 am

Draymond Green is to blame.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#49 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:23 am

cdubbz wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:I voted MDJ for the crappy roster but it’s really the entire front office. Didn’t love the job Kerr did and Draymond has derailed the last two seasons.

Season 1 of inheriting the dying dynasty and it’s his fault? He drafted Podz & TJD and got off of Pooles contract. Saric was seen as a win and I like cojo signing

Like I said, it was really the entire FO.

He did fine in the draft but extending Draymond, not trading Klay and trading for and keeping CP were not wise choices IMO.

The team could be a year into a new direction already but they punted and wasted last season as far as I'm concerned. I hope they make the hard choices this offseason but I have my doubts.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#50 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am

whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

He did fine in the draft but extending Draymond, not trading Klay and trading for and keeping CP were not wise choices IMO.

The team could be a year into a new direction already but they punted and wasted last season as far as I'm concerned. I hope they make the hard choices this offseason but I have my doubts.

And with all of that said - the Warriors could have still been the 6th seed if Draymond wasn't suspended adding another distraction for the 2nd straight season.

You say we shoulda traded Klay and CP3, but only MDJ knows if there was anything on the table for them.

Bottom line: Warriors could have been in the playoffs with the way the roster was constructed. Win it all? probably not.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#51 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:20 am

cdubbz wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

And with all of that said - the Warriors could have still been the 6th seed if Draymond wasn't suspended adding another distraction for the 2nd straight season.

You say we shoulda traded Klay and CP3, but only MDJ knows if there was anything on the table for them.

Bottom line: Warriors could have been in the playoffs with the way the roster was constructed. Win it all? probably not.

Could have been the sixth seed but they were full strength against a depleted Kings team and got smoked. This team was going nowhere and the proof was their record against the top 6 teams in the west.

Agree that we don’t know what was available on the trade market.

Anyway, I hope they turn the page ASAP and I hope MDJ is the guy for the job.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,251

Post#52 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 am

cdubbz wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

The Warriors had a crappy record with Draymond fit before the suspension bug. He came back healthy and ready to go after missing a ton of games during the easiest stretch of the season and then started to break down. Not entirely his fault as him playing the 5 for long stretches was an utterly absurd move, but it's not guaranteed the Warriors finish a lot higher.

Keep in mind the oldies could have gotten hurt a lot more as well, good luck expecting Steph to play this many games again.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,251

Post#53 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 am

whatisacenter wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Could have been the sixth seed but they were full strength against a depleted Kings team and got smoked. This team was going nowhere and the proof was their record against the top 6 teams in the west.

Agree that we don’t know what was available on the trade market.

Anyway, I hope they turn the page ASAP and I hope MDJ is the guy for the job.

The best player in that playin game was a guy that the coach had zero intention of playing. He only put him on after all his garbage rotations and lineups went in the dumpster. This team isn't a contender even with Spo, but they're much better than whatever nonsense Kerr has been regularly putting out there.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#54 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 am

whatisacenter wrote:It seems like most of you think this was a good roster with a poor coach.

Kerr wasn't great but this roster was going anywhere from the jump.

It was a better roster than it showed, and maybe not a contender even if all things were firing, but to end the season with so many questions left unanswered in a year where between Kerr's management and the limited margin of error, the chances of a postseason run were almost nil... that's unforgiveable for any non-tenured coach. Coming up empty on nearly all fronts
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 450

Post#55 » by Romulus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 am

1) Kerr. The worst coaching job in the NBA. THAT bad. When you're losing every close game, what does that tell you? Had TJD on ice most of the season; constantly went "small," when he didn't have to; refused to bench Klay until the last part of the season (yes it helped but that's the point, why not do it much sooner?). The final game against the Kings summed it all up: started TJD briefly but decided to have Draymond play the 5 and TJD play the 4 which totally threw off everyone. Again, the worst possible decisions at the worst possible times. Coaching malpractice -- over and over again.

2) Draymond Green (again). Let's see, he ruined last season before it even started, right, with the infamous punch? Ejected and suspended multiple times this season. Yes, Draymond is an important player but his antics have cost the Warriors so many seasons I think many of us wouldn't be bothered with a trade elsewhere for Draymond. He's worn us all out emotionally.

3) Lacob & Dunleavy. Not a bad roster, actually. Just not good enough either. I think we can all agree there was a trade or two that should have been made at the deadline (and probably much sooner). Here's the problem with this FO, though: in order to get something, you have to be willing to give up something, you have to choose a direction and go with it.

And now, here we are, in basketball hell. How can anyone have any confidence that this FO has any real idea what it should do? Their best plan always seems to do as little as possible while spending money in the process. Over pay everyone. Talk about this all being a family. Want everyone back (Kerr) and yet still say changes need to be made.

I know a lot of you feel good about getting off the Jordan Poole contract. I get that completely. But the Wizards were having a fire sale and instead of targeting Porzingis, Kerr and Dunleavy (and Lacob) instead targeted a 40 year old CP3, and included a 1st round pick to cement the deal. What horrible planning when the guy you really need is not only available, but was traded to the Celtics. Imagine Porzingis's size and shooting on the Warriors team. Kerr will always choose the guard, regardless of age, size, or anything else. He'll play Corey Joseph with 3 other guards and try to win games with the smallest lineup in the league.

So much blame to go around and what's truly frightening is pretending to have any faith in this group to make the right moves. They'll over-pay and re-sign Klay. They'll milk this aging trio for another 2 seasons and tell us all how grateful we should be for the past championships while they fight for their lives just to try and make the play-in.

Do you hear the whisper in your ear, Steph? It's Dirk, telling you not to go gentle into that dark night.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Post#56 » by svart » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm

"Romulus" telling you not to go gentle into that dark night.

It's good night, and it seems steph is nighty-nightying himself into it :(

I'm still hoping the FO will do the right thing, but the experiences from those two last years are telling me I'm very naive.

Just watched NYK-PHILLY and i keep wondering how come Donte was unplayable with us last play-offs and now he just won the game for the Knicks.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,579

Post#57 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 pm

Whoever blackballed the addition of Tacko Fall is really the culprit here.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,154

Post#58 » by TB » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 pm

svart wrote:

I'm still hoping the FO will do the right thing, but the experiences from those two last years are telling me I'm very naive.

Just watched NYK-PHILLY and i keep wondering how come Donte was unplayable with us last play-offs and now he just won the game for the Knicks.

He's just shooting more this year. His percentages have been virtually the same, but with the Knicks he is just letting them fly nonstop in a catch in shoot role off Brunson pick and rolls.

As for playoffs, it is true that he struggled his first 3 playoff appearances. 2 games in he seems to have kept his confidence from the regular season.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#59 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:50 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Whoever blackballed the addition of Tacko Fall is really the culprit here.

As a wise man once said:

To Tacko Fall! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#60 » by watch1958 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

svart wrote:

GSW does that to guys. The theory of pass up a good shot to get a better shot usually ends up being pass up a shot to get Steph or Klay a shot.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.

Return to Golden State Warriors