ImageImageImageImageImage

Who deserves most of the blame for this season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Who do we blame the most?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:21 pm

Dray
6%
Kerr
63%
Klay
3%
Lacob&Sons
9%
MDJ
3%
Wiggs
6%
CoJo(others)
11%

Total votes: 35

svart
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Who deserves most of the blame for this season? 

Post#1 » by svart » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:21 pm

I see there are fingers pointing in all directions, so let's do this

Only one pic for simplicity
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 853

Re: Who deserves the most blame for this season? 

Post#2 » by DevinVassell » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:54 pm

Kerr32 and its not close.

No point picking Klay... again that's coaches fault. All players want to play no matter what and Klay is not going to sit himself (although he should if he had any self-awareness... or dignity)

Buckle up, next season is going to hurt. Until our vets are good and ready to leave on their own terms, the "slow death" will continue.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Post#3 » by svart » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:09 pm

For me is Kerr as well.

Imo, what he did this season is borderline unprofessional, and i am being nice.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#4 » by Mac1958 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:54 pm

Father Time.

It's time to move on, but there's nothing wrong with giving the Big Three one last shot. That was it.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#5 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:55 pm

svart wrote:For me is Kerr as well.

Imo, what he did this season is borderline unprofessional, and i am being nice.

Don't be, his disgraceful coaching this season doesn't deserve to show him any decorum.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,013

Post#6 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:37 pm

I voted MDJ for the crappy roster but it’s really the entire front office. Didn’t love the job Kerr did and Draymond has derailed the last two seasons.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#7 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Even though Kerr is the biggest issue, there so many fundamental core issues within the team. Outside of something obvious that they lack talent. The big one is the lack objectivity. The CEO, FO, coaching staff and the old dudes playing have almost all kind of started at the same time, and there is absolutely zero semblance of fairness, objectivity, common sense or self reflection within this group.

You hear Lacob talk, Klay is like a son to me. Draymond says the crew has to be kept together, Kerr says they need Klay back. Everybody is besties with each other. Bob Myers also either left because he saw the mess he left this team in financially & structurally, or he knew the answer was to break the band and didn't want to do it.. In other words not to do what needs to be done because we're close. Granted, this is heavy speculation on my part.

There's no objectivity. Kerr's coaching which has been a common theme, is one of the most disgraceful coaching performances I have ever seen in team sports. It lacked substance, focus, but core issues went.. back to the core. His focus was to cater to them, and prioritization over what they want, what's best for them, what they think is why I want him out of here. The #1 goal is winning, and no player in the team is above the club. This clearly hasn't been the case for Kerr, as it's the same coach who started Klay Thompson after he missed 2 1/2 years of basketball due to two horrific injuries.

This team needs a fresh start, and the two I would get rid of first is Kerr and Klay. Then bring in a coach and have discussions with Steph and Draymond that even though their voices are heard and important, core decisions are on the coach and GM.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,415

Post#8 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:34 pm

Huh?

Draymond Green hands down!

Warriors would have easily won 6 more games this year without his BS (suspensions).

Kerr in second place.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,154

Post#9 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm

I voted Kerr since I think he got the least out of what his role was capable of doing. Even with the flaws, I think this team should definitely have been a 6th seed or so... and to be going into the play-in still having lineups that hadn't played together and the same issues from game 1 being there in game 83... pretty unacceptable coaching.

That being said, some thoughts on others:

Myers - probably the most blame if we are just asking "who is to blame for not having a contender right now". His drafting and reliance on Steph was a masterclass in not extending a dynasty, almost totally covered up by 2022 where Steph carried the team and about 5 people had the playoffs of their lives.

Dray - I think the length of the suspension was a joke, but never-the-less him not being on the court hurt this team a ton.

MDJ - hard to put a lot of blame here because he nailed almost every roster move he made. However, not making moves at the deadline was a mistake IMO. Murray and a center could have been had if we were willing to move off of future picks. I think for Steph you have to make that decision.

Wiggins - its actually a bit hard to find a player that performed way worse than what was to be expected. I'll give that award to Wiggins mostly because of his insane shooting slump the 1st part of the season. But he ended up being pretty solid by the end of the year. I think with Klay decline, we really need players like Wiggins, Podz, Moody, and even Kuminga/Dray to get their shooting consistency up next year.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#10 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:18 pm

TB wrote:I voted Kerr since I think he got the least out of what his role was capable of doing. Even with the flaws, I think this team should definitely have been a 6th seed or so... and to be going into the play-in still having lineups that hadn't played together and the same issues from game 1 being there in game 83... pretty unacceptable coaching.

Myers - probably the most blame if we are just asking "who is to blame for not having a contender right now". His drafting and reliance on Steph was a masterclass in not extending a dynasty, almost totally covered up by 2022 where Steph carried the team and about 5 people had the playoffs of their lives.

Dray - I think the length of the suspension was a joke, but never-the-less him not being on the court hurt this team a ton.

MDJ - hard to put a lot of blame here because he nailed almost every roster move he made. However, not making moves at the deadline was a mistake IMO. Murray and a center could have been had if we were willing to move off of future picks. I think for Steph you have to make that decision.

Wiggins - its actually a bit hard to find a player that performed way worse than what was to be expected. I'll give that award to Wiggins mostly because of his insane shooting slump the 1st part of the season. But he ended up being pretty solid by the end of the year. I think with Klay decline, we really need players like Wiggins, Podz, Moody, and even Kuminga/Dray to get their shooting consistency up next year.

CP, Saric and COJO? Extending Dray?

Some may argue that the CP trade was worth it just to get off the Poole contract but I disagree. They made the trade too early and it ended up being a move that was a total waste of a season.

The draft picks were on the positive side.
TB
General Manager

Post#11 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:26 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
TB wrote:I voted Kerr since I think he got the least out of what his role was capable of doing. Even with the flaws, I think this team should definitely have been a 6th seed or so... and to be going into the play-in still having lineups that hadn't played together and the same issues from game 1 being there in game 83... pretty unacceptable coaching.

CP, Saric and COJO? Extending Dray?

Some may argue that the CP trade was worth it just to get off the Poole contract but I disagree. They made the trade too early and it ended up being a move that was a total waste of a season.

The draft picks were on the positive side.

I think your points are valid. But I still see those as positive moves.

We only had vet minimums to work with, and I think Saric and CoJo were pretty decent signings. The CP3/Dario combo off the bench was lethal, and his season really nose-dived when Paul was out and Dario was playing a lot of center. For some reason Kerr never went back to the CP3/Dario offense later in the season.

CoJo was also pretty decent outside of never getting his shot going. He was an emergency signing to be a 3rd string PG once Ty Jerome unexpectedly got more than the minimum from Cleveland (and then got hurt for entire season). End of bench vet that everyone liked and had some good stretches next to Podz.

I see no problem extending Dray.

I dont know what other trade options with Poole were available, but the CP3 one ended up being a major win for the Warriors. Paul was better than Poole and now we either get that salary wiped out completely or can use it to help with a trade. I do think we should have traded him at the deadline though, which I mentioned.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#12 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:35 pm

There's plenty of blame to go all around.

Dray for his suspensions. If he doesn't get suspended and if he doesn't take time to ramp up after his suspension was over we're probably the 7th seed at worst with possibly moving up to the 5 seed.

Wiggins for his major slump coinciding with Klay's major slump at the beginning of the year. Whatever player's go through slumps.

MDJ for not making a move for OG or at the deadline.

Since we're adding blame for everyone. Steph. His fall off after his ankle and his inability to carry us like he did at the beginning of the season meant we weren't going anywhere anyways.

But really I think most of the blame falls on Kerr. Kerr's robotic rotations taking people out of rhythm and pre-determining playing time and rotations no matter what was actually happening on the court cost us. His inability to challenge calls correctly. His apathy towards winning any single game always trying to keep minute totals low for the next game. His inability to coach Klay. His reliance on the old vets even though the young guys were playing well. His obsession with small lineups and indifference towards rebounding and defense. It felt like he had too many options yet always chose the wrong combination of players.

Really the NBA in general also deserves a shout out. The teams have stolen all of our assistant coaches, stole our trainers, stole our front office, suspended draymond indefinitely and implemented rules to directly affect us. Like good job NBA you've effectively nerfed your no 1 selling player and franchise.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#13 » by billinder33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:50 pm

I voted "others" because the current state of the roster is primarily Myer's doing.

Ultimately basketball is a player-driven sport, not a coach-driven one. You need prime-age thoroughbreds to win, whereas the Ws mostly have old mares and baby foals. And Meyer is primarily responsible for that situation.
TB
General Manager

Post#14 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Onus wrote:There's plenty of blame to go all around.

Dray for his suspensions. If he doesn't get suspended and if he doesn't take time to ramp up after his suspension was over we're probably the 7th seed at worst with possibly moving up to the 5 seed.

Wiggins for his major slump coinciding with Klay's major slump at the beginning of the year. Whatever player's go through slumps.

MDJ for not making a move for OG or at the deadline.

Since we're adding blame for everyone. Steph. His fall off after his ankle and his inability to carry us like he did at the beginning of the season meant we weren't going anywhere anyways.

But really I think most of the blame falls on Kerr. Kerr's robotic rotations taking people out of rhythm and pre-determining playing time and rotations no matter what was actually happening on the court cost us. His inability to challenge calls correctly. His apathy towards winning any single game always trying to keep minute totals low for the next game. His inability to coach Klay. His reliance on the old vets even though the young guys were playing well. His obsession with small lineups and indifference towards rebounding and defense. It felt like he had too many options yet always chose the wrong combination of players.

Really the NBA in general also deserves a shout out. The teams have stolen all of our assistant coaches, stole our trainers, stole our front office, suspended draymond indefinitely and implemented rules to directly affect us. Like good job NBA you've effectively nerfed your no 1 selling player and franchise.

Reading all those Kerr issues is :banghead:

But the one I sort of forget about but it bugs me every game is the challenges. He was the worst in the league by A LOT. Which is really unacceptable. Thats a very easy metric to see if your staff understands the value of a possession, and they clearly dont. The plan should be very simple... The moment an obvious miss happens that leads to a loss of possession or points, you make the challenge. Sure it seems nice to have a challenge later in the game, but its more valuable to have gotten an extra possession at some point in the game than forcing a challenge late just in-case a game altering miss happens in the last two minutes. Seems like Kerr doesn't care about the analytics on this and would rather just save them for end of game or use them on a scenario to teach the refs something like a Steph 3.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#15 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:12 pm

LOL at people still blaming Myers.

This front office extended Kerr and Draymond so if you are blaming either one of them and you are praising MDJ then I am confused.
TB
General Manager

Post#16 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:21 pm

whatisacenter wrote:LOL at people still blaming Myers.

This front office extended Kerr and Draymond so if you are blaming either one of them and you are praising MDJ then I am confused.

MDJ has had one offseason as GM. Of course the majority of this roster is due to Myers still.

Dray gets legit blame for the suspensions, but still is worth the extension. At the very least to keep the salary spot as a trade asset.

Kerr gets legit blame for this years coaching, but I think most are willing to see how the offseason plays out and if Kerr can make some adjustments for next year.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#17 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:33 pm

TB wrote:

MDJ has had one offseason as GM. Of course the majority of this roster is due to Myers still.

Dray gets legit blame for the suspensions, but still is worth the extension. At the very least to keep the salary spot as a trade asset.

Kerr gets legit blame for this years coaching, but I think most are willing to see how the offseason plays out and if Kerr can make some adjustments for next year.

:lol:

Nobody is trading for Dray after this season. Unless the Warriors are willing to throw everything in picks to make it worth their while.
TB
General Manager

Post#18 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:38 pm

Impuniti wrote:
TB wrote:

Nobody is trading for Dray after this season. Unless the Warriors are willing to throw everything in picks to make it worth their while.

I think a lot of teams would be calling MDJ if word got out that Dray was available.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#19 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:44 pm

TB wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
TB wrote:

I think a lot of teams would be calling MDJ if word got out that Dray was available.

Yup, but unless there's draft compensation coming back, not at all worth it

Unselfish guy, coaches up defense on-court.. if he's truly a Warrior for life he'll understand that the time has come to teach instead of contend. He's not going to be the one taking shots away from young players

Plus the salary filler coming back.. it wont be anyone's best. Short-timers who will be more self-interested than anything

I'd wager he plays here 2 more seasons and then is either stretch waived, bought out, or trade salary in his 4th year
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#20 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:45 pm

Kerr way in the lead, with some protest votes (although Myers is certainly a viable option)... board is on point

Return to Golden State Warriors