ImageImageImageImageImage

Posted on the Main Trade Board

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Posted on the Main Trade Board 

Post#1 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 4:19 pm

Guys, I posted this trade on the main trade board and the Miami fans seem to be somewhat receptive:

Pietrus for Smush and Alex Johnson (works on trade checker, even with Pietrus BYC).

What do you think?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#2 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 4:24 pm

We discussed this in the Pietrus thread.
It's a pretty overwhelming no from most of the fans here.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#3 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 4:40 pm

St.Nick wrote:We discussed this in the Pietrus thread.
It's a pretty overwhelming no from most of the fans here.

It's not about Smush, it's about Johnson. I think with Nellie at the helm, he could reel in Smush. As long as he knew what his role is here (Riley made a huge mistake by telling him he would be the starter), and realize that his purpose would be to fill in and not shoot too muchI think he could fill the role we need. At least he has the wheels to fit in our running game. No one (in the Pietrus thread) mentioned anything about Alex Johnson, who is someone I recall a number of people were interested in for filling in on our Power Forward gap.

The other motivating factor (of course) is our desire to move Pietrus. This is not to say that we don't move him elsewhere if we can get something better. This deal would also net as another #2 pick which we usually do pretty good with. This is just another option we have if we can't do better.

Not my favorite deal either, but something I would at least consider.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Jan 1, 2008 4:56 pm

Why not just shoot me in the back of the head and done with it?

1 1/2 years of Smush Parker? :droop:
turk3d
RealGM

Post#5 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 5:18 pm

LF75 wrote:Why not just shoot me in the back of the head and done with it?

1 1/2 years of Smush Parker? :droop:

1 1/2 years of Parker + Anthony Johnson + #2 pick >= 1/2 year of French trainwreck?

At least Smush can be placed firmly at the end of the bench next to POB. Pietrus we have to pl;ay.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#6 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 5:46 pm

We don't have to play Pietrus. We can sit him and let his contract run out, then use the space to re-sign Azu or Barnes.

Remember when we turned down Miami the first time around because we didn't like what they were offering? This isn't going to be any different.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#7 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:13 pm

St.Nick wrote:We don't have to play Pietrus. We can sit him and let his contract run out, then use the space to re-sign Azu or Barnes.

Remember when we turned down Miami the first time around because we didn't like what they were offering? This isn't going to be any different.

If I'm not mistaken at that time, we were asking for the world from them. Something like Wright, JWil and and 1st. They basically said they didn't want to give us JWill, wanted us to take Doleac, wouldn't give us Wright, and sure as hell wasn't willing to give up a 1st. That was just Nellie and Riley playing hardball with each other. As I said, I have no problem not doing this deal. I don't think that Pietrus will not be getting any time though. Ask Wright and Belli. He stays, he plays, there's no doubt in my mind.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:39 pm

I think it'll take an expiring deal to get him - unless W's really like the player offered
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#9 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:13 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If I'm not mistaken at that time, we were asking for the world from them. Something like Wright, JWil and and 1st. They basically said they didn't want to give us JWill, wanted us to take Doleac, wouldn't give us Wright, and sure as hell wasn't willing to give up a 1st. That was just Nellie and Riley playing hardball with each other. As I said, I have no problem not doing this deal. I don't think that Pietrus will not be getting any time though. Ask Wright and Belli. He stays, he plays, there's no doubt in my mind.

You are right to say that they were offering us Doleac. That is what I heard as well. It was something like Doleac (expiring contract) and a 2nd rd pick, or something to that extent.

IMO, Smush is a step down from Doleac since he is getting paid into next season. So as Bulls6 says, its likely that the Warriors would rather keep MP than take on a year of paying a guy they don't really need.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#10 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:24 pm

St.Nick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You are right to say that they were offering us Doleac. That is what I heard as well. It was something like Doleac (expiring contract) and a 2nd rd pick, or something to that extent.

IMO, Smush is a step down from Doleac since he is getting paid into next season. So as Bulls6 says, its likely that the Warriors would rather keep MP than take on a year of paying a guy they don't really need.

With all do respect St. Nick, a slow 7 foot Center when we already had 4 at the time (Biedrins, Foyle, O'Bryant and Perovic), we did not need. A 3rd string point guard and a true Power Forward we could use. Pietrus although contributing as of late, will just continue to take minutes from other guys we'd prefer to see get time. Yet, I still can accept that this may not be the best deal we should take. One of the things I admit is that I really don't know much about Johnson, other than we had a lot of posters who claimed that he had a huge upside and wanted him to be brought over. His contract is worth peanuts, I do know that.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#11 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:29 pm

If Baron opts out, we're going to need every last available $$ to pay Gilbert, Brand or Baron ..Why cut down the amount we can offer these guys by 2.4 million? For Smush Parker? Come on..Brain cells start working again.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#12 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:39 pm

LF75 wrote:If Baron opts out, we're going to need every last available $$ to pay Gilbert, Brand or Baron ..Why cut down the amount we can offer these guys by 2.4 million? For Smush Parker? Come on..Brain cells start working again.

You know what's funny LF? People on this board are willing to take on guys like Rasheed but unwilling to add a couple of million for a guy like Smush who if he fares well (which I believe he could in our system) could easily be part of another deal next. And what if Baron does opt out? It becomes moot point. Some of the trades which I've seen proposed is way worse than this one. Can't have it both ways. We still have our TPE and we still have the ability to take a small lux tax hit. The real question to me is would any of these moves make us a better team. The answer may very well be no, but if it's yes, what's a couple more million? Look at it as being the 2-3 Million that we SHOULD have given to POB but didn't. The question to you is how bad do really hate Pietrus? Apparently less than you dislike Smush.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#13 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:52 pm

Alexander Johnson was a mid-2nd round pick in a horrible draft and was then cut by the Memphis Grizzlies in the middle of Summer League. He has played sparsely with the Heat since he was picked up.

Michael Doleac is worth more than Smush Parker, merely because he is an expiring contract. Smush Parker is being pushed out by Pat Riley after 25 games despite the fact that Miami needs a backup PG as badly as GS does. What does that tell you?

Smush has negative value. He is being paid into next year which, as stated numerous times, is not something that GS seems to want in a Pietrus trade (lest the player coming back be a real difference maker).
turk3d
RealGM

Post#14 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:07 pm

St.Nick wrote:Alexander Johnson was a mid-2nd round pick in a horrible draft and was then cut by the Memphis Grizzlies in the middle of Summer League. He has played sparsely with the Heat since he was picked up.

Michael Doleac is worth more than Smush Parker, merely because he is an expiring contract. Smush Parker is being pushed out by Pat Riley after 25 games despite the fact that Miami needs a backup PG as badly as GS does. What does that tell you?

Smush has negative value. He is being paid into next year which, as stated numerous times, is not something that GS seems to want in a Pietrus trade (lest the player coming back be a real difference maker).

That's true as far as being a general statement is concerned but has 0 value to us when we have 4 other people playing the same position (maybe would have value in a trade with another team). In the current case, Pietrus is essentially an expiring to us so even if Doleac were offered, he would have less value to us than Smush imo, since Smush at least plays a position that we have need of. As I said, I don't know much about Johnson other than what I've read here so maybe you're right, he sucks but again, at least he plays a position which could be of some value to us. Are they other deals out there involving Pietrus which might be more beneficial to us, I suppose so? So far I haven't seen any of them. All I see is people wanting to dump players with bad contracts on us and steal some of our young talent. Show me a better deal and I jump all over it. Of course, maybe we should wait until the trade deadline and see if there's anything better then. In the meantime, my only concern is whether LF will be able to survive another month or so of Petey? I do have concerns for his health being an old guy you know.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#15 » by Hopper15 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:19 pm

My guess is they were offering Walker.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#16 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:33 pm

Hopper15 wrote:My guess is they were offering Walker.

Antoine?

For Pietrus?
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#17 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:35 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's true as far as being a general statement is concerned but has 0 value to us when we have 4 other people playing the same position (maybe would have value in a trade with another team). In the current case, Pietrus is essentially an expiring to us so even if Doleac were offered, he would have less value to us than Smush imo, since Smush at least plays a position that we have need of. As I said, I don't know much about Johnson other than what I've read here so maybe you're right, he sucks but again, at least he plays a position which could be of some value to us. Are they other deals out there involving Pietrus which might be more beneficial to us, I suppose so? So far I haven't seen any of them. All I see is people wanting to dump players with bad contracts on us and steal some of our young talent. Show me a better deal and I jump all over it. Of course, maybe we should wait until the trade deadline and see if there's anything better then. In the meantime, my only concern is whether LF will be able to survive another month or so of Petey? I do have concerns for his health being an old guy you know.

Yes, he is old. Lets hope that Mully can make a wise decision soon.

Just remember that making a bad deal could only worsen the situation for old sweet LF. :pray:
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Hopper15 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:18 pm

St.Nick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Antoine?

For Pietrus?

Yes, which is probably why nothing got done.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#19 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:22 pm

Hopper15 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes, which is probably why nothing got done.

Thank mighty Odin for that.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Hopper15 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:31 pm

Miami didn't really want Pietrus. They wanted to use that as leverage to dump Walker. I think everyone knew the Warriors wouldn't have matched an offer sheet. So Miami saying they weren't going to use the MLE on Pietrus and then signing Smush with it tells us all we needed to know.

Return to Golden State Warriors