ImageImageImageImageImage

Mbenga officially waived....what's this mean?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#61 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:11 am

So who did better in D league? Kosta or Obee?

I think its fair to use that as a barometer of what this callup is really worth.

Hopefully he's going to Seattle with Pietrus for Wilcox.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,085

Post#62 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:11 am

I don't think anyone is saying Kosta will be part of the 12 active many nights. But that doesn't mean you don't gain something by having him with the team for a while. Belinelli and Wright have no complaints, and seem to think - along with Nelson - that they are improving, despite the fact they have not played much.

"Getting a look" doesn't necessarily mean getting playing time in a regular season game. Warriors also get a look at guys like Wright, Belinelli, O'Bryant, Kosta et al in summer league, training camp, practices, scouting D-League games, etc. Playing well and smart in practice is probably the best way to see some court time, but if, when you get out there, you're more of a liability than a positive force... well that's gonna make it that much harder to see that PT again.

So even while Patrick O'Bryant has not seen much playing time (his mpg has gone down from last season, BTW), that doesn't mean the team hasn't looked at him closely. In fact they've seen way more of him than anyone on this board has.
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#63 » by Chris Cohan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:14 am

Passing on someone else's rumors for fun:

commish Says:
January 6th, 2008 at 4:20 pm
Rumor is the Dubs will call up C.J. Watson from the D League as a back up combo guard. Other rumors include us trying to pick up Mike Miller using the TPE. One thing for sure: if the Dubs want to have any chance of finishing at least 8th, they are going to have to upgrade their current roster. The Hornets and Blazers showed us that at home and away.

Link:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/01 ... no-longer/
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#64 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:17 am

Sleepy51 wrote:So who did better in D league? Kosta or Obee?

I think its fair to use that as a barometer of what this callup is really worth.

Hopefully he's going to Seattle with Pietrus for Wilcox.

Well, O'Bryant started out poorly, but gained steam as the season went on. So far, early in his D-League career, Kosta is not exactly tearing it up. And both of them have gotten called up.

In the scheme of things, I don't think the call up means too much... rather, it's just another opportunity for both camps in the "Nellie hates rookies/Nellie hates big men" vs. the "lets not play guys who suck" camps to plant their flags.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#65 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:20 am

jrhester wrote:"Getting a look" doesn't necessarily mean getting playing time in a regular season game. Warriors also get a look at guys like Wright, Belinelli, O'Bryant, Kosta et al in summer league, training camp, practices, scouting D-League games, etc. Playing well and smart in practice is probably the best way to see some court time, but if, when you get out there, you're more of a liability than a positive force... well that's gonna make it that much harder to see that PT again.

The problem with the whole "practice" theory is that it kinda forces the rookies to need to stand out to get more PT. It's puts pressure on them to do something noticable, so they can get more PT, and if they miscue, it can become a vicious cycle where their confidence is shot.

My beef w/Nellie is that he's a stubborn, my way or the highway type of coach... now that could work out great for Brandan Wright and Belinelli. It could also work out exactly like it has for POB, who has been beaten down to the point where he looks scared to do anything definitive on the court.

At some point you have to tell the guy - we invested a lot in you, and you are going to get more than a few chances, in game, to prove yourself. That way, they can actually play the game without worrying about screwing up their chances to play again...

Conversely, it gives the veterans free range to do more, knowing that the rookies are on such a short leash. There's a few times I see what Pietrus is doing, and wonder why he'd take a shot... simple... he'll still see the floor. If he makes it, his value improves... if he doesn't, he'll get more chances. Barnes, same deal... now if we gave POB or Wright that kind of pass, even if its for as short as 3-5 games, I'd guarantee there would be progress in both. Yes, thats finite, a guarantee :D
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:22 am

jrhester wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, O'Bryant started out poorly, but gained steam as the season went on. So far, early in his D-League career, Kosta is not exactly tearing it up. And both of them have gotten called up.

In the scheme of things, I don't think the call up means too much... rather, it's just another opportunity for both camps in the "Nellie hates rookies/Nellie hates big men" vs. the "lets not play guys who suck" camps to plant their flags.

Nellie doesnt hate rookies, he just doesn't trust them.

He does hate big men though. That's why Biedrins never gets a play called for him, and why we sign stumps like Mbenga, who are only rebounders and shot blockers, because he honestly does not know what to do with a PF/C with a low post offensive game.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#67 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:22 am

Wow, a comment to a blog is officially a rumor. I have higher hopes, but if the Warriors want to sign a D-League combo guard to a 10-day contract, sure why not.

Getting Miller for with the TPE would be a huge coup and upgrade for the Warriors, but I don't know if I see Memphis giving him away for salary cap relief.

The Warriors really do need to upgrade their talent and deepen their roster if they want to do more than challenge for the 8th spot, though.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#68 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:25 am

1.) They waived Benga because he would be guaranteed for the year.

2.) Croshere is almost healthy

3.) Need a practice center now that Benga's gone.

4.) Kosta is already on the roster, hence paid for.

Bottome line is that he's here for now because of insurance with Benga being gone.

There may or may not be something that follows soon.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#69 » by -bob- » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:25 am

he probably got that C.J. Watson rumor from here:
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/D-League-Blog/

Watson Named Player of the Month

Rio Grande Valley Vipers point guard and DraftExpress blogger C.J. Watson has been named the D-League performer of the month for December. In his first D-League season, Watson has averages of 25.4 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 5.2 assists per game while shooting 51.4% from the field. The 23 year-old point guard has the Vipers at 9-5 on the season, while leading the team in both scoring assists. Watson currently ranks atop our call-up list, and has been closely followed by a number of NBA scouts this season. The Vipers rely on him to run their offense, gearing their sets around pick and rolls where he can either score or dish the ball to one of his shooters on the wing. A graduate of Tennessee, Watson played overseas last season, before joining the Charlotte Bobcats for training camp in October. The Vipers selected him 5th overall in the 2007 D-League draft. There are rumors that he may get a callup from the Golden State Warriors sometime soon.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#70 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:27 am

Bob, again with the great find!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:29 am

It's a living joke... cut our backup C, sign another tweener guard.... I mean thats something we'd say here in passing, joking around... and now its happening.

Sometimes... I'm just speechless @ Nellie + Mully... we need to sign CJ when Benson is sitting there? You know, the local product, the guy leading the NBDL in boards by about 3 RPG?
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#72 » by Chris Cohan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:32 am

Nice Bob-- you're on the literature. Thanks for grabbing that.

On such a rumor: not a bad thought and certainly a move that makes Hudson's expiring $1.2 million quite liquid for trade purposes. But what of this Belinelli? Crittenton, meanwhile, looks awesome agsint the Pacers tonight. Monta Ellis on the move?

Scuffling...
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#73 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:34 am

jrhester wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If you'ld like to discuss that, I'm sure someone on the board would be interested.

MY question OTOH was in terms of: can we expect him to play and/or help us if he does, and what data can we use to try to analzye that situation.

You have taken the position for a couple of weeks now that anyone who disagrees with coach on player evaluations is wrong by default. Well, Nellie liked the Benga for us, and has now apparently realized he was wrong on that one. Maybe he might possibly have been wrong on other pieces as well? It doesn't make a poster irrational, or a hater, or a crusader to disagree with the coach about a player, or strategic option and it doesn't mean we intend to throw the baby out with the bath water.

But if we're not allowed to disagree with or question or propose alternatives to the personel decision, if the best possibly decision is by it's very nature the one that gets made by the coach and GM in power, then why on earth is there a RealGM website to begin with?

And why does any team ever have a terrible record? Did every coach/GM do the best that could have been done with the cards they were dealt (they ALL have better credentials than us, even Twardzik?) Is it all really just about how the ping pong balls fall year over year?

That's the logical conclusion of the drum you've been beating lately. If that's the truth of it all, then not just this message board, but this sport is reall quite boring and pointless.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#74 » by yehyeh82 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:35 am

LOL, I can tell how the Warriors have been doing lately just by the number of Rowell posts that pop up. Keep up the strong work!
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:35 am

After looking at Cj's game logs I'm impressed with his shooting.

50% shooting while taking that many shots is very impressive.

90% from the line

40% from three.

The assist totals are not enough for how much he has the ball, but perfect from a Nellie standpoint.

Why not grab him and Rod? And cut Huddy away.
Khoee wrote “
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#76 » by killacalijatt » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:26 am

This is the time were all the trade rumors start like KG JOneal
Pau Gasol all them coming to GTown but then are drreams are crushed and instead of gaining we loose (Khoee).
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#77 » by Chris Cohan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:29 am

yehyeh82 wrote:LOL, I can tell how the Warriors have been doing lately just by the number of Rowell posts that pop up. Keep up the strong work!

Don't worry, they'll beat the Spurs.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#78 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:46 am

This Rod Benson sounds intriguing and I remember from his blog that Nellie had his eye on him.

Sleepy, I definitely agree that coaches, GMs, are often wrong on player evaluations. In fact I think the draft has a big element of crapshoot in it, which is why I don't mind teams cutting young players loose when they realize they made a bad assessment (which the draft prospects and their agents have a vested interest to perpetuate).

I tend to think Nellie has a better eye than most, but even Nellie admits he gets it wrong sometimes - wasn't he calling Belinelli the starter during the summer? "Oops," says Nellie, "my bad!"

I also believe that teams should play players that fit their philosophies (which may be at the root of the POB problem... he was drafted for Montgomery, not Nellie).

What I'm mostly opposed to here at realgm is the sometimes extremism, which often seems to flow from, in the scheme of things, real small events (like losing a couple of games, or a player slumping for a few games... or hopes of glory hinging on a 12th man).

I'm a long-suffering Warriors fan. I started following them during Nellie's first stint, when Mitch Richmond was rookie of the year. And I've seen the wasted decade+ when clowns like Adelman and Carlessimo were steering the Warriors into the lottery year after year.

Now Nellie's back, the Warriors are back in the playoffs... so yeah, I do give Nellie, and by extension, Mullin, much benefit of the doubt.

Maybe Lasme and O'Bryant will turn out to be good players. I'm thinking probably, no, but maybe they will. But when people say they've already seen that they are good players, their development is a certainty that only Don Nelson is screwing up... well, yeah, I've got to lean towards the experts on that one.

I also don't think it's fair to say Nellie was wrong on Mbenga... I know a lot of people hate him but I thought he was a servicable, defensive-minded backup big man, with no salary or roster guarantees and at little risk and low cost. I liked him better than Foyle. Mullin says nothing that Mbenga had done or not done got him waived. Maybe he's gone for cap reasons (I hope not), but I'm still of the belief that he's gone to free up a roster spot... either because the Warriors need a backup PG and Hudson's not cutting it with his arthritic hip and sitting out for months, or (fingers crossed) there is a bigger move pending that will bring in a real contributor - someone much better than Mbenga and THud - to the Warriors.

Of course, a lot of the back and forth on this board is always going to get back around to Patrick O'Bryant (I don't think Lasme is going to rise to his level of dander-raising), and all the hopes and fears that he encapsulates... at least until he either makes it big or washes out of the League entirely. And when that happens, I'm going to be skeptical of anyone touting his (or Lasme's) abilities.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#79 » by -bob- » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:12 am

putting some Mully quotes together from a couple articles.

"(It's) flexibility to be able to make some decisions moving forward," Warriors vice president Chris Mullin said. "Leave some options open."

"I mean, again, there's a lot of different scenarios we're going to look at, probably more guards than bigs and swings," Mullin said.

"We want to stay away from what happened with Troy," Mullin said, "You're looking at him to avoid injury (for the sake of starter Baron Davis), and he gets injured. ... That becomes the decision: A young guy that has the energy and low risk of injury, does that make sense, or does it make sense to get a guy who you know what he can do?"

"We've got to get (Davis) some downtime," Mullin said. "Etching out seven (more) minutes (per game) of rest over the haul, I think it means a lot."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... RUAD2L.DTL
http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_7899358
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#80 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:24 am

So I guess the Warriors are aiming to bring in either a young or veteran guard to spell Baron (Watson? Stoudemire? Payton? Haven't we gone through this before?).

And I was starting to hope that Kosta was called up so he could be a piece in a huge trade...

Return to Golden State Warriors