Where will Rex Ryan be next season?

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Where will Rex Ryan be next season? 

Post#1 » by miller31time » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:24 am

So there's talk that Rex Ryan is already atop the Jets' list of potential coaches. He's also on a number of other teams' lists.

Is there any chance at all that he remains our defensive coordinator or will he leave, this off-season?

(If he leaves, our defense is going to take a big hit)
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Where will Rex Ryan be next season? 

Post#2 » by miller31time » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:17 am

Reports from every major network are that the Jets will offer Ryan a 4yr/13mil contract within the next 24-48 hours.

Can't imagine him turning that down.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Yup. I guess that brings us to the question of who will take his place:

Vic Carucci wrote:The Ravens are likely to fill the defensive coordinator spot from within, which makes sense because the other assistants on the defensive staff have a good understanding of Ryan's philosophy and that would help maintain continuity in the scheme. They have solid candidates in special assistant Vic Fangio, linebackers coach Greg Mattison and secondary coach Chuck Pagano. But whether any of them has Ryan's feel and touch when it comes to calling a particular blitz or making a particular adjustment at exactly the right time remains to be seen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e3e73d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by miller31time » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:10 am

Though it sucks because he is a defensive genius and innovator, we do still have Ray Lewis (at least I think we will, come next season). Ray knows the defense about as well as anyone and I think he'll be able to help out with the defensive play-calling and adding an overall understanding to the team.

So, yeah, I'd rather have Ryan than not, but I don't think it will be as big a loss as one might think.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#5 » by UrbanLegendMD » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:01 pm

At the end of the day, it's the players who are on the field and if we promote an assistant who knows Ryan's system well, we should be okay.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.

Return to Baltimore Ravens