ImageImageImage

2012 Draft

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: 2012 Draft 

Post#61 » by ohara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:52 am

If we trade Stewart and #9 for #4, it will be to get Claiborne. Dont think they will trade a RB for another RB. But I do like the idea of the trade.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#62 » by Jaruff » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I think if there was any chance of Stewart being dealt, it ended with the Goodson trade. However, I could see Hurney being fixated on a replacement or moving Armanti to RB.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
ohara
Head Coach

Post#63 » by ohara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 am

The guys from the Charlotte Observer think there is a good chance Armanti is not on the team in 2012-2013 season. Accepting it as a failed experiment.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#64 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:21 am

McShay has us taking Gilmore at 9 in his final mock and tbh that idea kind of scares me.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#65 » by Jaruff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:26 am

ohara wrote:The guys from the Charlotte Observer think there is a good chance Armanti is not on the team in 2012-2013 season. Accepting it as a failed experiment.

Quite possible. Not really needed at QB, no clue if he can play RB, and he's never panned out as a WR/KR/PR. I anticipate we'll draft a WR this year, probably 6-7th round if we don't grab someone early.

Kemba2Hendo wrote:McShay has us taking Gilmore at 9 in his final mock and tbh that idea kind of scares me.

Would be a terrible move imo. I've seen enough of him over the years to know a few things.

1. He's a heavy hitter.
2. He can't cover.
3. He's lazy.

Basically, DeAngelo Hall 2.0. Would much rather try to get Antonio Allen in the 4th round, who played much better at SC last year.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#66 » by ohara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 am

I like Gilmore. I've watched him the past couple years and I think he's the 2nd best CB in this draft, 3rd at worse. But I dont want him at #9. Rather take a CB with our 2nd.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#67 » by ohara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:41 pm

If we dont get Kuechly at #9, I look for Devonte David of Nebraska at #40. Top OLB in the draft. But if rumors are true that Dre Kirkpatrick is dropping, would be awesome to get him at #40. But at worse, I think he drops only into the late 1st.

Guys from Charlote Observer say that we are looking at Blackmon first (if he falls to us, which is unlikely) and if he is gone it will be Defense. They seem to feel pretty confident that if Blackmon is gone, our pick will be Coples.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#68 » by Jaruff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:19 pm

That would be like Hurney to draft Coples. If he's hellbent on that pick, I hope we trade down a few positions. I highly doubt anyone else has Coples that high and we can acquire an extra pick.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#69 » by ohara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Jaruff wrote:That would be like Hurney to draft Coples. If he's hellbent on that pick, I hope we trade down a few positions. I highly doubt anyone else has Coples that high and we can acquire an extra pick.

From your lips to God's ears. I would much rather have Cox or Kuechly than Coples.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#70 » by Jaruff » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 am

We avoided Coples. Success.

Still wanted Ingram but Luke makes perfect sense. Not really excited about another LB as we've had bad luck with them but hopefully he steps in and makes an immediate impact.

Could have went much worse for us.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#71 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:28 am

We avoided Coples, so I can live with Kuechly.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
ohara
Head Coach

Post#72 » by ohara » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 am

Very happy with Kuechly.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#73 » by ohara » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 am

Round 2 will be exciting. If we want to look at defense again to add to Kuechly, we still have Still and Worthy out there at DT, and Trumain Johnson at CB. Any of those 3 would be good. If we want a WR, Hill and Jeffery are still on the Board.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#74 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 am

GoBobs wrote:What I would really like to see us do is trade J-Stew to the Browns to swap our 9 for their 4, and pick up there late first rounder. With the #4 take Richardson, and take the best DT, LB or OT with the extra first rounder. We get out of paying J-Stew and don't lose him for nothing.

I would send Williams to Denver for a first or multiple 2-3 round picks and just let Richardson be the guy.

If we end up picking ninth I would go with Poe. This kid is going to be a player. People say his college numbers weren't great, but here is what they don't understand about Memphis. The tigers are about as terrible a football team as you could imagine. The only reason they ever got a player like Poe is he lives right there and didn't want to leave family. He is the only guy on there team you had to stop so everything is designed around taking care of him. He faced a double or triple team all the time.

Tad late to critisize you but it wasnt Poe's numbers that were just bad... His tape was pretty bad as a whole as well- trust me I watched it. Quiton "60percent" Couples got more penetration on the inside and that was when he was clearly not giving a ****....

Also greatpick with Kuelchy tonight, he looks like the next Brian Urlacher!
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:01 am

Kemba2Hendo wrote:McShay has us taking Gilmore at 9 in his final mock and tbh that idea kind of scares me.

Mcsham, Kiper, and Lombardi are all morons who dont look at team history or needs half of the time, most of their mocks are fantasy projections.... Casserly is much more accurate usually.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am

ohara wrote:I like Gilmore. I've watched him the past couple years and I think he's the 2nd best CB in this draft, 3rd at worse. But I dont want him at #9. Rather take a CB with our 2nd.

I would love to see us grab Josh Robinson in the 4th, he is a 6ft tall CB who ran a 4.29 unnofficial 40 and had a 39 inch vert....
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 am

Jaruff wrote:We avoided Coples. Success.

Still wanted Ingram but Luke makes perfect sense. Not really excited about another LB as we've had bad luck with them but hopefully he steps in and makes an immediate impact.

how in gods name have we had bad luck with them? Jon Beason is regarded as a top 5 ILB, Anderson is a former 6th rounder turned elite starter, Jordan Senn has been great, and previous to his injuries Davis was a tackle machine\pro bowl potential, not to mention Dan Connor. Previous to those guys we had Pro Bowler Witherspoon, Pro Bowler Dan Morgan (who despite injuries was amazing when it counted aka his awesome bloked FG in our only superbowl) I could go on but there is no reason too, if anything aside from recent injuries Carolina has maintained one of the best LB squads in the NFL year in and year out..... If you want to see a team with bad LB luck look at the Bills, Lions, Giants, Eagles, and Seahawks all of whose draft picks never lived up to their potential...
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:12 am

ohara wrote:Round 2 will be exciting. If we want to look at defense again to add to Kuechly, we still have Still and Worthy out there at DT, and Trumain Johnson at CB. Any of those 3 would be good. If we want a WR, Hill and Jeffery are still on the Board.

We supposedly might grab a OT in the second, Bob Massie anyone?

Also sorry for all the consecutive posts!
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#79 » by Jaruff » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 pm

penquin11 wrote:
Jaruff wrote:We avoided Coples. Success.

how in gods name have we had bad luck with them? Jon Beason is regarded as a top 5 ILB, Anderson is a former 6th rounder turned elite starter, Jordan Senn has been great, and previous to his injuries Davis was a tackle machine\pro bowl potential, not to mention Dan Connor. Previous to those guys we had Pro Bowler Witherspoon, Pro Bowler Dan Morgan (who despite injuries was amazing when it counted aka his awesome bloked FG in our only superbowl) I could go on but there is no reason too, if anything aside from recent injuries Carolina has maintained one of the best LB squads in the NFL year in and year out..... If you want to see a team with bad LB luck look at the Bills, Lions, Giants, Eagles, and Seahawks all of whose draft picks never lived up to their potential...

Beason - Injured
Connor - Injured in the past (missed his first year I believe)
Davis - Injured
Morgan - Injured
Mark Fields' career was ended shortly by cancer

And there are others that I've forgotten over the years. My point is: while we consistently have a good LB core, they can't stay healthy. Having a good core is useless if the guys are on crutches.

Btw: Anderson is a former 3rd round pick, picked him up back in 2006 with DeAngelo.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#80 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Sorry about the 6th round mess up XD. But I do see your point about injuries but only to a degree- we still have had MUCH better luck than say the Lions who got their first good LB in possibly a decade out of Tulloch last year. Or the Seahawks(Lufa suffered career ending injuries, Hill smokes pot, Curry was a bust, Hawthorne got injured too often, KJ Wright is on the fence)..... Or the Eagles(No allstar LB's in memory)... Or the Bengals (who really have been f*cked over repedatively, they had one kid who looked great- and then he died or something).... Or the Bills (Another team with terrible LB depth during this decade)..... or the Saints..... or the Rams.... Or the Giants (which seems to be the place where great LB's die)... Or the Cardinals... Or the Dolphins (aside from Wake)... ... Or the Colts... Or the Texans (until last year)...

In other words in comparison to other clubs we have been pretty well of with drafting LB's, I would go so far to say that I don't think we have drafted a LB in the first 3 rounds that was a definitive bust in the last 5 or so years......

Return to Carolina Panthers