Image Image Image Image

Who should be the 2014 DC for Da Bearse?

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

BullHeaded
Sixth Man
And1: 195

Re: Who should be the 2014 DC for Da Bearse? 

Post#21 » by BullHeaded » Thu Dec 5, 2013 4:46 pm

Just throwing this out as a marker... I think at 9-3 and looking playoff bound, there is no way Chico is leaving Carolina. However, in Pittsburgh, is it possible Mike Tomlin could be on the outs?

I am still a huge fan of bringing in Jim Leavitt from San Francicsco... the guy Dick LeBeau potential in my opinion as a DC. All four of his LBs were All Pro last year (3 first team All Pro, 1 second team All Pro) and he shaped the USF program into a beast as their inaugural coach for 15 years. But Mike Tomlin has some Super Bowl chops and knows how to run a great defense. Either one would probably signal a move to a 3-4 though, but with only 3 day 1 starters under contract for next year... why not just focus on bringing in the best DC candidate for the job and build around his scheme whatever it is?
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by BullHeaded » Mon Dec 9, 2013 6:27 pm

New candidate to add to the list: Wade Philips

If Lovie gets the job in Houston, he'll want to install his own defense and get a 4-3/cover 2 guy to run it (Rod Marinelli is the DL coach of the Cowboys who's d is terrible... they're probably not going to shield any coaches or players who want to defect).

So far all of the candidates on my list are 3-4 guys:

Jim Leavitt- LB coach of the 49ers
Mike Tomlin- HC of the Steelers
Wade Phillips- DC/Interim HC of the Texans

Does anyone have any 4-3 names aside from Chico (I'd be shocked if he isn't the 2014 HC of the Panthers)?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#23 » by Susan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 am

Pretty sure we just got Rod M fired.

I'd take him back here!
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by BullHeaded » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Susan wrote:Pretty sure we just got Rod M fired.

I'd take him back here!

HELL yeah! I just don't know if he'd come back.

On another note, if we somehow win the division... Schwartz may be inclined to come to Chicago as DC. I can see the Lions poop-canning him if they falter down the stretch, I cannot see him getting another HC gig right away, and I can see him wanting to spite the Lions by coming to a division foe. He'd be a 4-3 guy too, no?
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by BullHeaded » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 pm

We should also add Leslie Frazier and Rex Ryan to the list of possibilities... assuming some of head coaches get fired and decide to go back to coordinating defenses:

4-3 DCs
Leslie Frazier
Jim Schwartz
Kris Richard (another poster lobbied for him... so let's throw him in there)

3-4 DCs
Mike Tomlin
Jim Leavitt
Rex Ryan
Wade Phillips
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by BullHeaded » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I am taking Mike Tomlin off the list (Pittsburgh has been bouncing back, I doubt he'll be on the chopping block now) and putting Dennis Allen on the list under 4-3 coordinators. He coached defensive lines and defensive backs before being Denver's DC and helping groom Von Miller. Now he's looking like a potential casualty as Oakland's head coach.

My guy is stilll Jim Leavitt though. Getting to a Super Bowl means going through Green Bay, San Fran and Seattle. Being one of the central figures in the San Fran defense the past few years probably qualifies him most to solve for those three offenses. This is in addition to him having the experience to head coach a defense and being the Linebacker Maestro.

4-3 DCs
Leslie Frazier
Jim Schwartz
Kris Richard
Dennis Allen

3-4 DCs
Jim Leavitt
Rex Ryan
Wade Phillips
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#27 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 pm

BullHeaded wrote:I am taking Mike Tomlin off the list (Pittsburgh has been bouncing back, I doubt he'll be on the chopping block now) and putting Dennis Allen on the list under 4-3 coordinators. He coached defensive lines and defensive backs before being Denver's DC and helping groom Von Miller. Now he's looking like a potential casualty as Oakland's head coach.

My guy is stilll Jim Leavitt though. Getting to a Super Bowl means going through Green Bay, San Fran and Seattle. Being one of the central figures in the San Fran defense the past few years probably qualifies him most to solve for those three offenses. This is in addition to him having the experience to head coach a defense and being the Linebacker Maestro.

4-3 DCs
Leslie Frazier
Jim Schwartz
Kris Richard
Dennis Allen

3-4 DCs
Jim Leavitt
Rex Ryan
Wade Phillips

I don't like Schwartz. His team has no discipline and I think that would translate.

If we want one of the 3-4 guys we would need to draft a NT early or get one in FA. We might need to get two, unless Paea can play some NT.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#28 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:04 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
BullHeaded wrote:I am taking Mike Tomlin off the list (Pittsburgh has been bouncing back, I doubt he'll be on the chopping block now) and putting Dennis Allen on the list under 4-3 coordinators. He coached defensive lines and defensive backs before being Denver's DC and helping groom Von Miller. Now he's looking like a potential casualty as Oakland's head coach.

4-3 DCs
Leslie Frazier
Jim Schwartz
Kris Richard
Dennis Allen

3-4 DCs
Jim Leavitt
Rex Ryan
Wade Phillips

I don't like Schwartz. His team has no discipline and I think that would translate.

If we want one of the 3-4 guys we would need to draft a NT early or get one in FA. We might need to get two, unless Paea can play some NT.

Exactly!

When the Lions fire Schwartz, it may actually be bad news for the rest of the teams in the NFC central because that team may just get a coach that can maximize the talent that roster has. Fact is, with the talent they have, the Lions should have run away with the division. He is a big reason why they consistently screw up and under achieve.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by BullHeaded » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:50 pm

On that list, Schwartz and Rex Ryan are probably my least favorites for the Bears only because I can see a culture clash and a divided locker room with Trestman. The others I think would be able to get along just fine with Trestman. The egos are probably a touch too big for Schwartz and Ryan to accept being second fiddle to a softer spoken head coach.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,118

Post#30 » by patryk7754 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Rex ryan should be our priority if he gets fired. He has the best defensive mind in football
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:17 am

I agree that Schwartz and Ryan are nigh characters. But Emery and Trestman seem to be all about analytical minds. Rex Ryan has a genius defense, incredibly detailed. That's exactly what we will need when the defense gets younger this off-season, because details and fundamentals are most important when you have an inexperienced group.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by BullHeaded » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:I agree that Schwartz and Ryan are nigh characters. But Emery and Trestman seem to be all about analytical minds. Rex Ryan has a genius defense, incredibly detailed. That's exactly what we will need when the defense gets younger this off-season, because details and fundamentals are most important when you have an inexperienced group.

I just cannot imagine Rex Ryan being cool with being a DC anymore. At least not a DC for a guy who doesn't have 15 years of HC experience. This isn't a knock against Ryan's coaching abilities... in fact, it is a bit of a compliment. But if he were willing to come over here and be that guy, and be cool being that guy for 3-5 years, I'd be thrilled. Maybe there is sentimental value with the Bears for him since his old man made his bones here with the best defense ever when he and his brother were younger? Maybe Schwartz would want to be here and be Trestman's number 2 just to stick it to Detroit twice a year (I would put money on him going to the Rams if he's fired from Detroit). But there is definitely some potential personality imcompatibilities with either of those guys and Trestman.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:44 pm

BullHeaded wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:I agree that Schwartz and Ryan are nigh characters. But Emery and Trestman seem to be all about analytical minds. Rex Ryan has a genius defense, incredibly detailed. That's exactly what we will need when the defense gets younger this off-season, because details and fundamentals are most important when you have an inexperienced group.

I just cannot imagine Rex Ryan being cool with being a DC anymore. At least not a DC for a guy who doesn't have 15 years of HC experience. This isn't a knock against Ryan's coaching abilities... in fact, it is a bit of a compliment. But if he were willing to come over here and be that guy, and be cool being that guy for 3-5 years, I'd be thrilled. Maybe there is sentimental value with the Bears for him since his old man made his bones here with the best defense ever when he and his brother were younger? Maybe Schwartz would want to be here and be Trestman's number 2 just to stick it to Detroit twice a year (I would put money on him going to the Rams if he's fired from Detroit). But there is definitely some potential personality imcompatibilities with either of those guys and Trestman.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I think Leslie Frazier would be the Brest fit when it comes to personality, but if you can bring Ryan in then you have to do it. He's a guy who turns defense into a real weapon.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by BullHeaded » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:30 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:I agree with you to a certain extent. I think Leslie Frazier would be the Brest fit when it comes to personality, but if you can bring Ryan in then you have to do it. He's a guy who turns defense into a real weapon.

I just read on the Chicago Tribune Sports site that Ryan has told his team he will be fired. That possibility just became more real.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:12 am

That would be a great pickup. I just don't know where we would get that dominant 330+ pound NT.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#36 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:54 am

I think that no matter whom we pick up, who will probably be someone regarded, as were Mike Martz, Ron Turner, and Mike Tice, and no matter what free agents we acquire, somehow the personnel won't be a great fit and our defense will become the new Lovie-era offense.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:54 am

Never mind. There are a couple of good options. Paul Soliai from Miami is an excellent starting NT and I think we can steal him away. Backup NTs could be Jolly, Picket, Branch or a mid-late round draft pick.

Peppers, McClellin, Bass, Washington and Paea are the only DL under contract for next season. McClellin, Bass and Washington can all play OLB in 3-4 and Washington can also play DE. Peppers might be cut with that $18M salary next year, but I think that would be about $10M of dead money. Peppers and Paea would play DE.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:23 am

Ideally I think we would have 4 fulltime DEs + Washington rotating in every once in a while in a 3-4 Defense. Add a guy like Melton or Houston for one side and someone like Wootton or Bennett on the other side.

DE: Peppers, Wootton, Washington
NT: Soliai, Branch or draft pick
DE: Melton, Paea, Washington

OLB: McClellin, Bass, Washington
ILB: Bostic, Costanzo
ILB: Briggs, Greene
OLB: Anderson or Pace, Bass

Calvin Pace is a FA so Rex might want to bring him in, but I think Anderson could be an excellent 3-4 OLB. Rex is an excellent evaluator for his defense and I think he would do a great job of plugging in a couple key FA and draft acquisitions.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 am

I'd love to have Rex. I'm ready for the 3-4.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:41 am

The 6ft Hurdle wrote:I think that no matter whom we pick up, who will probably be someone regarded, as were Mike Martz, Ron Turner, and Mike Tice, and no matter what free agents we acquire, somehow the personnel won't be a great fit and our defense will become the new Lovie-era offense.

That's why its crucial to get a great evaluator. Emery works with his coaches when he drafts, and Rex's players all produce in his defense. Whether he decides to keep guys like Anderson, Melton or Wootton in the front 7, I think it will be the right decision. Guys like Tillman, Jennings and Peppers will be up to Emery.

Return to Chicago Bears