Image Image Image Image

Is this Shea McClellin's last chance?

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

MalikJoakim24
Banned User
And1: 3,420

Is this Shea McClellin's last chance? 

Post#1 » by MalikJoakim24 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:04 pm

If he fails at linebacker, do you want to see him traded?
Midwest219
Senior
And1: 272

Re: Is this Shea McClellin's last chance? 

Post#2 » by Midwest219 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 10:19 am

Emery isn't afraid to admit his mistakes, but I highly doubt McClellin will fail as a LB. Shea played OLB and and even had snaps at MLB during OTA's this off-season.
FK DELLADIRTY
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#3 » by emperorjones » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:31 pm

IF he fails at LB he will not be traded. His contract is up and he'll be allowed to walk.
That said, I don't think he fails. Looking at the preparation he's put into this move, barring injury, I think he thrives at LB.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,424

Post#4 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:00 am

Who would trade for him? He should be fine as an olb. If not no one is trading him.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#5 » by blumeany » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, there's no trade. He either works out or he hits the unemployment line. He may find one other team to take a chance on him, but I don't see much beyond that. I'm optimistic that LB will work for him. I think that's where he always should have been. Thought that since they drafted him. Bears moving him to a 4-3 DE had a lot of people scratching their heads when he was drafted.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,410

Post#6 » by fleet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:34 pm

If Bostic is ahead of him thats a bad sign. Bostic had issues man.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
IWannaGoHIGHER
Veteran
And1: 326

Post#7 » by IWannaGoHIGHER » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

fleet wrote:If Bostic is ahead of him thats a bad sign. Bostic had issues man.

No necessarily directed at you but I think in terms of scheme you'll see an important difference in the scheming of this years defense. When it comes to the defensive line in Lovie's scheme it was all about penetration. Being assigned a gap and then getting through it to the quarterback. This year looks to be different; hand technique and hand fighting are going to be a lot more important. This worked a lot better before zone reads, and cutbacks, and lead us to often overrun plays last year. It also makes it harder on the LB's because they have to shed a lot more blocks from linemen.

Instead of shooting a gap, linemen are going to be asked to aligned, extended out the offensive line and engage them, then read and react to what the offense is doing. So what does this have to do with Bostic? Well this allows for LB's to flow around much easier than they used to and make plays. Also makes run fits a bit easier to read. Which is what Bostic did mostly at Florida. Because of this schematic change, and the improved defensive line, you'll see a marketable uptick in LB play this year.

I would take the wait and see approach with Bostic. He graded out positively in coverage last year (refering to PFF) which is almost always harder for a rookie to translate. He wasn't great but with the talent in front of him, and being a rookie, I'm not surprised. And to be quite honest, it's going to be hard to keep him off the field this year. From what I saw in practice he was our most impressive linebacker.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man
And1: 195

Post#8 » by BullHeaded » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:51 pm

fleet wrote:If Bostic is ahead of him thats a bad sign. Bostic had issues man.

Bostic was a rookie last year and the LB coaching left a lot to be desired. He is skilled and this year has Keith Herring coaching him up. It would be premature to jump to conclusions on him.

In general, I think too many of us think the success or the failure of a draft pick happens at the time of the selection... you just don't see it materialize until the player is on the field. The truth is draft picks can look a lot better or a lot worse depending on the developmental environment the team has in place. Last year when you had Bostic flashing speed and athleticism yet constantly overrunning plays and taking terrible angles... that is almost a perfect case study. If he's coachable (and that is an if), then having the right coaches in place should help him meet his potential. Same for McClellin, Greene, Christian Jones, Lassiter and the other young backers on this team.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by fleet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Maybe. But usually if you can play, you dont need excuses.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by BullHeaded » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 pm

fleet wrote:Maybe. But usually if you can play, you dont need excuses.

There were no excuses. I was taking what you said at face value and just saying that is plausible that Jon Bostic beats out Shea McClellen not because he is the tallest midget, but because he turns out to be a very good linebacker with better coaching and not being a rookie. Is that a given? No. But it certainly is plausible.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by fleet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:57 am

Thanks. I like him. I hope he has what it takes between the ears. Slow to recognize plays in coverage mostly, he should be good in run-stopping support at least. We'll give him a Mulligan. Shea on the other hand......
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by BullHeaded » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 am

fleet wrote:Thanks. I like him. I hope he has what it takes between the ears. Slow to recognize plays in coverage mostly, he should be good in run-stopping support at least. We'll give him a Mulligan. Shea on the other hand......

Definitely a sh*t or get off the pot moment for these guys.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#13 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:20 am

fleet wrote:Thanks. I like him. I hope he has what it takes between the ears. Slow to recognize plays in coverage mostly, he should be good in run-stopping support at least. We'll give him a Mulligan. Shea on the other hand......

But isn't it really to early to worry about Shea seeing as he's playing a new position in the pro's that he hasn't played before. I think you got to give him some time before you think he's going to be a bust right? Obviously it's imperative to see production out of him, but you also should expect a learning curve.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Mister247
Senior
And1: 301

Post#14 » by Mister247 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:49 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:

But isn't it really to early to worry about Shea seeing as he's playing a new position in the pro's that he hasn't played before. I think you got to give him some time before you think he's going to be a bust right? Obviously it's imperative to see production out of him, but you also should expect a learning curve.

NO!

Shea has NO LATERAL MOVEMENT! Teams are going to do EXACTLY what Jacksonville is doing to us right now, which is throwing the ball right at him! Teams are GOING TO GO AT HIM and take us out through SHEA!

We can't MASK him (hide his deficiencies) like you can in Basketball and putting better players around him. They are going to come at him. We won't make a move on Shea like we should unless are season takes a turn for the worse because he was the GM's FIRST PICK!

Sorry but he is not the answer at that position. He will likely get picked apart and you all see it which is why this thread exists. I actually came in to start one about him on my own but this will do.

FORTE is NEXT!
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,118

Post#15 » by patryk7754 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Mister247 wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:

NO!

Shea has NO LATERAL MOVEMENT! Teams are going to do EXACTLY what Jacksonville is doing to us right now, which is throwing the ball right at him! Teams are GOING TO GO AT HIM and take us out through SHEA!

We can't MASK him (hide his deficiencies) like you can in Basketball and putting better players around him. They are going to come at him. We won't make a move on Shea like we should unless are season takes a turn for the worse because he was the GM's FIRST PICK!

Sorry but he is not the answer at that position. He will likely get picked apart and you all see it which is why this thread exists. I actually came in to start one about him on my own but this will do.

FORTE is NEXT!

forte is next for what?
Mister247
Senior

Post#16 » by Mister247 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:58 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
Mister247 wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:But isn't it really to early to worry about Shea seeing as he's playing a new position in the pro's that he hasn't played before. I think you got to give him some time before you think he's going to be a bust right? Obviously it's imperative to see production out of him, but you also should expect a learning curve.

NO!

FORTE is NEXT!

forte is next for what?

TO be dogged out if he doesn't nab enough receptions. Because he CAN'T RUN! It's a broken record, and yes, he is a good receiver, but the two backup running backs can actually Run THROUGH people. Forte being a good good receiver to make up for his lack of actually being a good Running back that can RUN!
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,447

Post#17 » by CBS7 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Mister247 wrote:TO be dogged out if he doesn't nab enough receptions. Because he CAN'T RUN! It's a broken record, and yes, he is a good receiver, but the two backup running backs can actually Run THROUGH people. Forte being a good good receiver to make up for his lack of actually being a good Running back that can RUN!

...unless you think he's due for some huge decline (which is coming but not this year, a year or two down the line IMO), and/or the seven carries he got so far in preseason are indicative of what's to come this season (I doubt this, reading your post you seem to think he's always been a bad runner..), what are you basing this on? He was second in the league in rushing last year. He put up 4.6 yards a carry, well above average. Better than Lynch, Peterson, Lacy, Gore, Bush, etc last season. He's one of the best RBs in the league.
Mister247
Senior

Post#18 » by Mister247 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:57 am

CBS7 wrote:
Mister247 wrote:TO be dogged out if he doesn't nab enough receptions. Because he CAN'T RUN! It's a broken record, and yes, he is a good receiver, but the two backup running backs can actually Run THROUGH people. Forte being a good good receiver to make up for his lack of actually being a good Running back that can RUN!

...unless you think he's due for some huge decline (which is coming but not this year, a year or two down the line IMO), and/or the seven carries he got so far in preseason are indicative of what's to come this season (I doubt this, reading your post you seem to think he's always been a bad runner..), what are you basing this on? He was second in the league in rushing last year. He put up 4.6 yards a carry, well above average. Better than Lynch, Peterson, Lacy, Gore, Bush, etc last season. He's one of the best RBs in the league.

He got major hole open in some of those games last season that ANYBODY could run through against the teams we played.

The man can catch, but his running has always bothered me because he has no power to really break through people. Dump off catches has been his bread and butter.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,118

Post#19 » by patryk7754 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:00 am

Mister247 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
Mister247 wrote:
NO!

FORTE is NEXT!

forte is next for what?

TO be dogged out if he doesn't nab enough receptions. Because he CAN'T RUN! It's a broken record, and yes, he is a good receiver, but the two backup running backs can actually Run THROUGH people. Forte being a good good receiver to make up for his lack of actually being a good Running back that can RUN!

Yo. What? This is the wrongest thing I've ever read
Mister247
Senior

Post#20 » by Mister247 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 am

patryk7754 wrote:
Mister247 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:forte is next for what?

Yo. What? This is the wrongest thing I've ever read

No...it's called being REAL and HONEST!

And I''l keep on going

Briggs is SLOW,

Weems should've been cut LAST SEASON

Why is Conte still here?,

our linebackers as a whole are still turrible,

And Finally,

Shea is REALLY Slow, has so lateral movement, putting him as a linebacker was a LAST DITCH EFFORT to salvage his career as a Bear because he simply can't do the job he was originally drafted to do.

OK? 8-)

Return to Chicago Bears