poor coaching i'd say
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,411

Re: Season Opener! Bills @ Bears - All Eyes on Mel 

Post#62 » by fleet » Sun Sep 7, 2014 8:31 pm

Jeffery and Marshall and Slauson oh my!
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
CalilLove89
Analyst
And1: 613

Post#63 » by CalilLove89 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 8:33 pm

I can't stomach that end of regulation play calling, get the first and take 2 shots.

I think it shows that our coach has no confidence in Jay to protect the ball in that situation.
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#64 » by emperorjones » Sun Sep 7, 2014 8:43 pm

Big loss. Unfortunately coach didn't try to establish the run early.
Not much from Allen & Houston

Shea's biggest hit of the game was on Tillman.

Corner's didn't look good. LBs & Safeties too.

Sutton looked good for what thats worth.

We had 22 return yards for the game.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,119

Post#65 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 9:05 pm

at least we're not the cowboys
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,801

Post#66 » by NZB2323 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 9:25 pm

We have a defense that gives up big plays and a quarterback that throws interceptions. It's going to be a long year. When does the NBA season start?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#67 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:25 pm

CBS7 wrote:poor coaching i'd say

I missed the game, but I heard Trestman calling for the pass on 3 and a couple of times and not going to Forte.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#68 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:17 am

Overreacting after Week 1 is dangerous, but yikes did last year's problems rear their ugly heads today.

Linebackers were horrible, pass rush was barely there. And Conte. I feel bad for the guy, but then again I don't. That's sports.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#69 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:57 am

Embarrassing. NO improvement from last year whatsoever. Same exact problems, whether it be offense, defense, special teams, coaching, etc. Bad run defense, can't take advantage of a weak passing team, offense stalls, coaching brain farts, injuries, stop me when you've heard this before. Conte? Same old ****. Flashes on one play and has 3 blunders to make up for it. DBs are garbage, LBs are garbage, line is garbage. 190+ yards on the ground, including a huge chunk on that last drive. Prepare yourselves for a **** season. Just wait until we play a good team. I predict a great year for TV sales in the Chicago area, due to having to replace all the ones that will have remotes thrown through them. :lol:
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#70 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:38 am

The defense did more than enough to win this game considering how many new faces we have on that side of the ball. The Bills got donated 13 points off turnovers

Jay is what he is at this point but an efficient offense gets us a win with the way the defense played today despite the yardage given up.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,119

Post#71 » by patryk7754 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:48 am

I have to blame the play calling pretty heavily for this lose. We got cute early and got out of rhythm in the pass game. We never really tried to establish the run which is why we didn't move the ball on so many possessions. Forte was dominate today in the very few touches he got. Cutler is just too erratic when the play takes too long to develop. He needs to be more controlled (that's why McCown was so successful in this system.)

Defense should the ability to be at least average. They were put in some bad situations. Outside of the the few huge plays allowed they played well. However, the tackling was much poorer than what it seem, it was just masked by the defense swarming to the ball (which is a good thing).
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#72 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:03 am

Yeah, I've heard people going in on the defense (yeah the run defense was bad), but this game comes down to bad offensive playing calling and turnovers by the offense. Our offense should not be making this many mistakes nor should they only score 7 points in the first half.

Our schedule over the next 4-5 weeks is brutal to top it off.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#73 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:05 am

fleet wrote:Jeffery and Marshall and Slauson oh my!

So any updates in Alshon and Slauson?
blumeany
RealGM

Post#74 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:42 am

What got exposed on offense is how absolutely critical Marshall and Jeffrey are to this team. That's why a guy like McCown could come in and look great. They cover up a lot of the QBs flaws by being huge targets and making crazy catches. Bennett and the other receivers just aren't reliable enough.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#75 » by LoveDaBoo » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:08 pm

blumeany wrote:What got exposed on offense is how absolutely critical Marshall and Jeffrey are to this team. That's why a guy like McCown could come in and look great. They cover up a lot of the QBs flaws by being huge targets and making crazy catches. Bennett and the other receivers just aren't reliable enough.

To put it another way: Jay Cutler sucks.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#76 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:23 pm

LoveDaBoo wrote:
blumeany wrote:What got exposed on offense is how absolutely critical Marshall and Jeffrey are to this team. That's why a guy like McCown could come in and look great. They cover up a lot of the QBs flaws by being huge targets and making crazy catches. Bennett and the other receivers just aren't reliable enough.

To put it another way: Jay Cutler sucks.

He doesn't suck, per se. I'd still rather have him than half the QBs in the league. He's got an elite arm and good mobility. But he's not an elite QB. He doesn't have an elite QBs' mind. They go on and on about how 'football smart' he is, but he still makes dumb decisions from time to time. Guys like Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Brees, they are willing to throw the ball away or take a sack instead of making that critical error. They'd rather live to fight another down than throw caution to the wind and fling the ball wherever. That's what makes them elite.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#77 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:08 pm

I see it as more of the fact that Jay simply cannot manage a football game well . He has the tools to be a gunslinger but he cannot manage and that is what this team needs. Its why Mccown even though he didn't have the talent that jay does could do very well and that kept the offense out of bad situations .

It really is maddening because we should win any game where a team is held to 23 pts or less .

17 rushes 82 yards for 4.8 ypc and yet Cutler throws 49 times
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,801

Post#78 » by NZB2323 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:14 pm

We were playing against the Bills at home. They're over/under for wins this year is 6.5. You can say the defense wasn't that bad, and Cutler wasn't that bad...

If they're not "that bad" at home against the Bills, how are they going to perform at San Francisco? We're going to get blown out. We're the Cowboys. We have a defense that isn't "that bad" that gives up big plays and a quarterback that isn't "that bad" that throws interceptions.

According to Vegas, we were supposed to win by more than a touchdown. You say 1 game is too small of a sample size. Fine. I'll take every game Cutler has had with the Bears for my sample size and every game that Shea McClellan and Chris Conte have played in as my sample size.

But don't worry, I'm sure Shea will lose more weight next offseason, and then we can play him at safety!
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#79 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:20 pm

blumeany wrote: He doesn't suck, per se. I'd still rather have him than half the QBs in the league. He's got an elite arm and good mobility. But he's not an elite QB. He doesn't have an elite QBs' mind. They go on and on about how 'football smart' he is, but he still makes dumb decisions from time to time. Guys like Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Brees, they are willing to throw the ball away or take a sack instead of making that critical error. They'd rather live to fight another down than throw caution to the wind and fling the ball wherever. That's what makes them elite.

Singling out Cutler when there were plenty of mistakes by other players on offense is a bit baffling to me. No he shouldn't have made that second throw that resulted in a TO, but Marshall shouldn't fumble the ball and Bennett should not have over ran that route. Jay also isn't making every single play call. That goes onto the OC.

Imo, there is plenty of blame to go around and it's not always only Cutlers fault. Obviously certain people have an agenda that they need to stick to (not saying you do).
blumeany
RealGM

Post#80 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:59 pm

The biggest problem is that the Bears are so susceptible to the read option, and the best teams in the league are using the read option. When Buffalo - a team with a mediocre QB and WRs most people couldn't name - can rip off big chunks of yards with that against you, then you are going to get absolutely mauled by the Seahawks and Niners. In fact, they did get mauled by the Seahawks in the preseason.

Return to Chicago Bears