Image Image Image Image

Game 4 - Packers at Bears- Crime scene revisited

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: Game 4 - Packers at Bears- Crime scene revisited 

Post#61 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Four games and no sacks from our starting defensive ends.
errisal
Head Coach
And1: 406

Post#62 » by errisal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:59 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
errisal wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:Not sure why you wouldn't put Jennings on Cobb on that play.

Tim Jennings is garbage, Cutler is garbage and Trestman is an idiot. The whole game changed when Trestman tried a trick play once again. As soon as he did the on-side kick I said they would lose. He tried trick plays after a good drive against Buffalo and the game went downhill. Cutler has absolutely no guts when it comes to the Packers. He missed a couple of easy throws in the first half that should have led to TD's. Trestman has absolutely no clue as to how to manage the clock. You are now seeing once again why he was up in Canada and not on an NFL sideline. :nonono:

The onside kick was timed perfectly and was kicked perfectly. The only problem is it hit Washington in the chest and then he kicked it away.

The execution didn't matter, it was the timing of the play. It was too early in the game and right after you just drove down the field. Trick Plays are a sign of fear. The Buffalo game was lost because the idiot coach called a flea flicker right after they just drove down the field on the previous series. I told my pops right after the on-side try that the Bears were going to lose. When you're smash mouthing a team you show no fear and continue to smash mouth them. This team plays with no heart because the coach makes calls with no heart.
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
errisal
Head Coach

Post#63 » by errisal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:01 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:Four games and no sacks from our starting defensive ends.

Already knew Jared Allen was done, but should have known about Houston considering he came from Oakland. It won't matter about the pass rush as long as Tucker keeps calling that porous zone and they continue to put Conte in the lineup.
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
CalilLove89
Analyst
And1: 613

Post#64 » by CalilLove89 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Conte as a new nick name.

JAWS

He bites on everything.
errisal
Head Coach

Post#65 » by errisal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:08 pm

CalilLove89 wrote:Conte as a new nick name.

JAWS

He bites on everything.

Jaws had teeth and knew how to bite. Conte should be called shadow, always around but never a factor.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,119

Post#66 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:25 pm

errisal wrote:

Already knew Jared Allen was done, but should have known about Houston considering he came from Oakland. It won't matter about the pass rush as long as Tucker keeps calling that porous zone and they continue to put Conte in the lineup.

Jared Allen has had a significant impact even though he hasn't had a sack yet and the line looked terrible without him out there. He is not done.
errisal
Head Coach

Post#67 » by errisal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:36 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
errisal wrote:

Jared Allen has had a significant impact even though he hasn't had a sack yet and the line looked terrible without him out there. He is not done.

He's made no more than 3 good plays in 3 games. He got pushed around badly against Buffalo, he's done.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man
And1: 195

Post#68 » by BullHeaded » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:02 pm

errisal wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
errisal wrote:

He's made no more than 3 good plays in 3 games. He got pushed around badly against Buffalo, he's done.

Food for thought... here's what Pro Football Focus had to say about JA last week. Personally, I think they are pretty strong at analyzing players. A +3 would be an excellent grade:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ts-week-3/

Jared Allen, DE: +3.1

Breakdown: Like Houston, Allen has been quiet on the stat sheet since he arrived in Chicago but hasn’t matched that with strong work that base stats don’t record. He’s still yet to pick up that first sack for the Bears but he was active as both a pass rusher (three hits and three hurries) and run defender (four stops) en route to his highest game grade since Week 9 of last season.

Signature Play: On the first play of the Jets’ final drive (Q4, 3.10) Allen exploited a deep Geno Smith drop to drive around Ferguson’s outside shoulder and hit Smith just after he threw what should have been an interception to Jonathan Bostic.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by BullHeaded » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Guys... sometimes you're the dog, and sometimes you're the fire hydrant. Today... we were the fire hydrant. I didn't give the refs any credit for our wins and I won't give them any blame for our losses.

The defense was TERRIBLE. And Jay Cutler devolves as a decision maker when he thinks he has to do everything to win. The running game was great... and even the run defense looked good again, but our secondary got torched. It seemed like guys were constantly out of place. Rogers made the right throws, but I have to give credit to their receivers... they always seemed to find the soft spot. His throws were generally to guys who were wide open. Also, a pass rush would help. I know Allen was out... but this was a big opportunity for Willie Young to prove that he should be starting and I think he failed to seize it.

And kudos to Martellus Bennett. He's been consistently giving other teams something to worry about this year and that will only help us down the stretch. The only thing this team can do now is get back on the saddle and worry about the next game. It sucks that in one afternoon we fell behind both Detroit and Green Bay... but there you go. Take it one game at a time and see where it takes you.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#70 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:56 am

Thoughts on the game:

1) That was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. The Bears got two calls early on. My phone started getting blown up by Packers fans complaining. I had no doubt in my mind what would happen next: the Packers would get their own calls and then some. After 2 bad calls in favor of the Bears, the Packers got 5-6 absolutely atrocious calls in their favor. That holding call on Bostic on the field goal...are you kidding me? Calls like that honestly make me suspicious. And it's so annoying how the Packers ALWAYS get favorable officiating.And with the Packers 1-2 coming into the game, it was inevitable that they'd get some ridiculous calls.

2) Mel Tucker just is not the right guy for the job. For years and years, it always seemed like while the entire NFL was playing chess when it came to offense, the Bears were playing checkers. Well, now that seems to be the case with the defense. Tucker is just so unimaginative, so uncreative, and so prone to getting burned by the same type of plays over and over again. It's gotta be so relaxing for NFL teams when prepping to play the Bears to know exactly what the Bears defensive is going to do and how it's going to play. You often hear Cutler and Trestman talk about how the different pressures and coverages Team X brings is going to be challenging to decipher and react to. You will never hear opposing QBs or coaches say that about the Bears defense.

Here's an NFL offensive coordinator's entire preparation speech for the Bears defense: "The Bears will rush four on 95% of snaps, no matter how anemic their pass rush is. They will pretend to blitz both inside linebackers, only to have them drop back 90% of the time. In the rare 10% which one or both of those linebackers do blitz, it will be easy to pick it up since they have not disguised the blitz whatsoever. Also, their zone coverage will leave gigantic holes for our receivers and tight ends to exploit within roughly 1.5 seconds of the snap. Now go out there and put up some stats!"

3) Trestman is by far the worst play challenger in the league. Does this guy just go full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) when it comes to throwing out the red flag, or is there someone in his ear pressuring him into stupidity? Today's game was a perfect example of his ineptness when it comes to challenges. First, he doesn't throw the red flag when GB is clearly tackled one yard shy of the first down marker but somehow is inexplicably given a first down on a crucial third down. Compounding this idiotic mistake by the refs is Marc Trestman, who decides not to challenge the play (I wonder if he ever even thought about challenging).

But that wasn't all. Later in the game Trestman decides to challenge an interception call. Any average Joe Schmoe NFL fan knows that all turnovers are automatically reviewed. Why did Trestman challenge this play? Only god knows.

4) Cutler sucks ass against the Packers. Both interceptions were completely his fault.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#71 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:30 am

Did not watch the game.

I get the defense was shredded every which we way, but, really, at home, we could only muster 17 points from an offense (with 0 in the last 2 quarters) that was supposed to be our strength?
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#72 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Game thoughts:

- This one was on the defense, no matter how you slice it. As (I think it was) Mully said this morning, the Bears defense 'made no plays'. That's the best way to describe it. This team is not built to purely outscore teams, as much as people want to paint the offense as a juggernaut. They need takeaways from the defense. And when the other team has a really good QB would can make plays and doesn't play stupid, it's going to be a long day for the Bears and usually be a big fat L.

- I think the press portrayed it a bit as Rodgers picking on Fuller, but I actually think he was picking on Frey more. Frey was at the crime scene on almost all the big gainers and touchdowns. It was almost to the point where I could see where Frey was and know that's where Rodgers was going. There's a reason that guy got cut. Bears need to find a better solution at nickel.

- I'm not sure how much Allen and Ratliff would have helped us this game. *Maybe* they force the Packers to have to line up differently or use different personnel. At the end of the day, Rodgers just chewed them up and barely got any grass on his uniform.

- The picks? Well, the first one I put solely on Jay. It was a classic moment when he was trying to hard to make a play and he forced it in to a guy that was well covered. I wouldn't trust Morgan to run that route effectively and Jay shouldn't have either. When you have Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett as more viable targets - why go to the 'other guy'? The second pick was on Marshall for not running the correct route.

- The Bears NEED takeways against the better teams. No takeaways always equals a loss for them. They can't match up with a high powered offense and outscore them. They have an offense that is simply prone to mistakes and that needs help from the D via takeaways and good field position. At the vary least, they need the D to be getting some 3 and outs. The Bears D gave them neither takeaways nor 3 and outs. So, L.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
blumeany
RealGM

Post#73 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:05 pm

The 6ft Hurdle wrote:Did not watch the game.

I get the defense was shredded every which we way, but, really, at home, we could only muster 17 points from an offense (with 0 in the last 2 quarters) that was supposed to be our strength?

Essentially what happened is that the defense didn't stop Green Bay AT ALL. No 3 and outs, no punts, no takeaways. The Bears had one possession where they had to kick a FG and the other before the half where they came up inches short of the TD and ran out of time. Green Bay kept scoring though and that allowed their defense to just do whatever the hell they wanted. With Green Bay just scoring at will, we ended up with the inevitable mistakes on offense and it just snowballed. When the defense doesn't stop the other team at all, you can't expect a win, it's sort of necessary to at least stop them once or twice.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#74 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:08 pm

JAWS

He bites on everything.

I loved that last TD to Cobb - total memories of the end of last season with Conte trailing him by a mile. :D
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 pm

blumeany wrote:

JAWS

He bites on everything.

I loved that last TD to Cobb - total memories of the end of last season with Conte trailing him by a mile. :D

Bottom line, in man coverage there is no way that your two best cover corners aren't covering Nelson and Cobb. Especially in the red zone. Yet Tucker was putting Frey, Conte and even Bostic on them in the red zone. TUCKER IS AN IDOIT. This game rests solely on his shoulders.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#76 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:58 pm

blumeany wrote:
- The picks? Well, the first one I put solely on Jay. It was a classic moment when he was trying to hard to make a play and he forced it in to a guy that was well covered. I wouldn't trust Morgan to run that route effectively and Jay shouldn't have either. When you have Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett as more viable targets - why go to the 'other guy'? The second pick was on Marshall for not running the correct route.

The first pick Jay threw was a check he made at the line of scrimmage. He got out of a run play because of the coverage the Packers were playing. The pass play he changed it to was a quick slant to Morgan, he made the throw quickly because of the play design. The DB was playing inside technique which was actually contrary to what his tendency was when GB was in that kind of coverage. It's Jay's fault for checking out of the run, but the ball ending up taking a crazy bounce.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
BullHeaded
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by BullHeaded » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:03 pm

blumeany wrote:Game thoughts:

- This one was on the defense, no matter how you slice it. As (I think it was) Mully said this morning, the Bears defense 'made no plays'. That's the best way to describe it. This team is not built to purely outscore teams, as much as people want to paint the offense as a juggernaut. They need takeaways from the defense. And when the other team has a really good QB would can make plays and doesn't play stupid, it's going to be a long day for the Bears and usually be a big fat L.

- I think the press portrayed it a bit as Rodgers picking on Fuller, but I actually think he was picking on Frey more. Frey was at the crime scene on almost all the big gainers and touchdowns. It was almost to the point where I could see where Frey was and know that's where Rodgers was going. There's a reason that guy got cut. Bears need to find a better solution at nickel.

- I'm not sure how much Allen and Ratliff would have helped us this game. *Maybe* they force the Packers to have to line up differently or use different personnel. At the end of the day, Rodgers just chewed them up and barely got any grass on his uniform.

- The Bears NEED takeways against the better teams. No takeaways always equals a loss for them. They can't match up with a high powered offense and outscore them. They have an offense that is simply prone to mistakes and that needs help from the D via takeaways and good field position. At the vary least, they need the D to be getting some 3 and outs. The Bears D gave them neither takeaways nor 3 and outs. So, L.

The Bears needed takeaways?!?!?! Heck... the Bears needed punts. PUNTS! :banghead:
blumeany
RealGM

Post#78 » by blumeany » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
blumeany wrote:

The first pick Jay threw was a check he made at the line of scrimmage. He got out of a run play because of the coverage the Packers were playing. The pass play he changed it to was a quick slant to Morgan, he made the throw quickly because of the play design. The DB was playing inside technique which was actually contrary to what his tendency was when GB was in that kind of coverage. It's Jay's fault for checking out of the run, but the ball ending up taking a crazy bounce.

I guess IMHO it doesn't matter if the ball bounces off 15 guys and ends up in the hands of a Packer. :lol: The bottom line is that it was thrown into an area where there was a lot of traffic and hands. It was a high risk throw with a smaller chance of things going right than going wrong. It was also not a critical time in the game when that throw HAD to be made. If it were 4th down on their last drive to try and tie the game, I'd understand the pressing.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#79 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 pm

blumeany wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
blumeany wrote:

I guess IMHO it doesn't matter if the ball bounces off 15 guys and ends up in the hands of a Packer. :lol: The bottom line is that it was thrown into an area where there was a lot of traffic and hands. It was a high risk throw with a smaller chance of things going right than going wrong. It was also not a critical time in the game when that throw HAD to be made. If it were 4th down on their last drive to try and tie the game, I'd understand the pressing.

Yeah he shouldn't of passed it, but all I'm saying is that it took a crazy bounce. I just think he shouldn't have called the audible.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:Yeah he shouldn't of passed it, but all I'm saying is that it took a crazy bounce. I just think he shouldn't have called the audible.

I thought there would definitely be a run on that play. With the momentum we had on the ground and the way the defense was setup. Then we find out the original call was a run and Jay audibled. It's maddening

Return to Chicago Bears