Game 5 - Bears at Panthers- treading in deep water

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Re: Game 5 - Bears at Panthers- treading in deep water 

Post#41 » by GetBuLLish » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:14 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
emperorjones wrote:Missed Chipshot FG, 2 INTs & a fumble. Sign of a bad team. No excuses

Don't forget that Bennett didn't block the safety on that long screen pass which would be guaranteed a TD. The missed field goal game just a few plays later

Agree with both of you. This team is just not good.

Cutler is not good. And this coaching staff is certainly not good. Was hoping Trestmann would be a genius savior, but it's become quite clear why he's never been a head coach in the NFL.
SilentAce07
Pro Prospect
And1: 436

Post#42 » by SilentAce07 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:23 pm

Trestman becomes ultra conservative every single time we have a lead. It doesn't matter if it's 3 points or 21. He doesnt care.

He packs it in and then hopes we can have a miracle comeback drive EVERY game.

He's terrible and needs to be fired. But he never will be.
Chaomino
Junior
And1: 18

Post#43 » by Chaomino » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:23 pm

We are masters on self-destruction. We are a bad coached team. Special Teams are atrocious. The offense have the power but they dont find the way to be consistent. And the defense is a complete ghost. If they dont force a turnover they cant make stops.

Trestman doesnt have the character to guide this team.
GO BULLS GO
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#44 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:25 pm

This team is probably .500 at best. It's just so frustrating to see so much talent not putting it together.

And you're starting to see why Trestman couldn't get a starting coaching job for so long.

Can't make excuses for anyone on this team.

Like seriously. All 3 phases are just not good.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#45 » by City of Trees » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:08 pm

Bears didn't adjust to Kuchely wearing Forte.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#46 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:54 pm

That was disgusting. Bears just look like a poorly coached team. Undisciplined. Terrible ST's. Terrible clock management. Bad play calling on both O and D. The D did a great job of getting TO's but if they don't get a TO, they get ran over. Cutler still just doesn't know when not to force things.

This season could get real ugly, real quick. This team easily could find themselves at 3-6 going into the bye with Green Bay on the road lurking. 3-7 is looking all too likely for our beloved Bears. Sad when you know your seasons playoff hopes are probably done after week 5.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#47 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 10:45 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:That was disgusting. Bears just look like a poorly coached team. Undisciplined. Terrible ST's. Terrible clock management. Bad play calling on both O and D. The D did a great job of getting TO's but if they don't get a TO, they get ran over. Cutler still just doesn't know when not to force things.

This season could get real ugly, real quick. This team easily could find themselves at 3-6 going into the bye with Green Bay on the road lurking. 3-7 is looking all too likely for our beloved Bears. Sad when you know your seasons playoff hopes are probably done after week 5.

It's just so frustrating. He had a 77% completion percentage today, but he just forces that one pass that he shouldn't.

I just don't know what goes through his mind in that situation.

Also on a side note...is Marshall still hurt? They barely went to him again today.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,403

Post#48 » by fleet » Sun Oct 5, 2014 11:00 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:That was disgusting. Bears just look like a poorly coached team. Undisciplined. Terrible ST's. Terrible clock management. Bad play calling on both O and D. The D did a great job of getting TO's but if they don't get a TO, they get ran over. Cutler still just doesn't know when not to force things.

It's just so frustrating. He had a 77% completion percentage today, but he just forces that one pass that he shouldn't.

I just don't know what goes through his mind in that situation.

Also on a side note...is Marshall still hurt? They barely went to him again today.

Marshall caught that ball in the second half, he made some YAC, but he didn't cut upfield as sharp as he used to.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,403

Post#49 » by fleet » Sun Oct 5, 2014 11:17 pm

Did you see that replay when Cutler stared down Marshall who was well covered? Ball was thrown perfect. Too bad it was incomplete after Jay lined it in there. Sometimes Jay doesn't go through west coast offense receiver checkdowns. He'll also hold the ball and the receivers will run deep routes even when everybody reads blitz. They don't have a lot of West coast timing routes either that Jay uses. They sure didn't react well when the Panthers zoned them. I guess throwing to Forte is most of the "new offense"

He had that game against the 49ers and took what the defense gave him within the offense shorter passes. That didn't seem like the real Cutler. He is who he is. I'm basically OK with it to a certain extent. But he is very overpaid. Thats the problem. And he doesn't have the defense behind him to cover for his mistakes. You can't have this structure
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#50 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:36 am

It infuriates me watching teams successfully watching teams use up-tempo offense to march the ball down the field. Am I the only one that's hung up on this...?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#51 » by City of Trees » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:14 am

GetBuLLish wrote:It infuriates me watching teams successfully watching teams use up-tempo offense to march the ball down the field. Am I the only one that's hung up on this...?
I think so

GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#52 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:35 am

City of Trees wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:It infuriates me watching teams successfully watching teams use up-tempo offense to march the ball down the field. Am I the only one that's hung up on this...?
I think so

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats

According to Football Outsiders, through week 4, the Bears ranked 25th out of 32nd in offensive pace.

One would think that with so many alleged offensive weapons and a lack of a dominant running game, the Bears would not play so slowly.

I might be the only person hung up on this, but it's not because I'm wrong.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#53 » by City of Trees » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:03 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
I think so

According to Football Outsiders, through week 4, the Bears ranked 25th out of 32nd in offensive pace.

One would think that with so many alleged offensive weapons and a lack of a dominant running game, the Bears would not play so slowly.

I'd rather have the Bears O eat clock versus having the Bears D on the field longer than the O. But I guess that's a moot point if Bears are scoring every possession, right?

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#54 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:19 am

fleet wrote:Did you see that replay when Cutler stared down Marshall who was well covered? Ball was thrown perfect. Too bad it was incomplete after Jay lined it in there. Sometimes Jay doesn't go through west coast offense receiver checkdowns. He'll also hold the ball and the receivers will run deep routes even when everybody reads blitz. They don't have a lot of West coast timing routes either that Jay uses. They sure didn't react well when the Panthers zoned them. I guess throwing to Forte is most of the "new offense"

He had that game against the 49ers and took what the defense gave him within the offense shorter passes. That didn't seem like the real Cutler. He is who he is. I'm basically OK with it to a certain extent. But he is very overpaid. Thats the problem. And he doesn't have the defense behind him to cover for his mistakes. You can't have this structure

Cutler on the day with 260 yards 3 TD's and a 77% on his completion. BUT then he goes and makes a play like that pass to Holmes. On cue for most of the game and then just makes a god awful throw at the most inopportune time. :banghead:

It's like the great Jay and the bad Jay all in one game. It's plays like that which stop him from being elite.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#55 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:22 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
I think so

I feel you, but I think it's baby steps with this offense first. Don't shoot yourself in the foot multiple times where the offense ends giving up the ball that loses you the game. Obviously the terrible passes by Cutler being the key. Seriously, Bears are arguably 2 terrible decisions away from likely being 4-1 right now.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#56 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:43 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
I think so

How can you speed up when jay can't make good decisions consistently at a snails pace ?
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#57 » by dumbell78 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 8:36 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
fleet wrote:Did you see that replay when Cutler stared down Marshall who was well covered? Ball was thrown perfect. Too bad it was incomplete after Jay lined it in there. Sometimes Jay doesn't go through west coast offense receiver checkdowns. He'll also hold the ball and the receivers will run deep routes even when everybody reads blitz. They don't have a lot of West coast timing routes either that Jay uses. They sure didn't react well when the Panthers zoned them. I guess throwing to Forte is most of the "new offense"

Cutler on the day with 260 yards 3 TD's and a 77% on his completion. BUT then he goes and makes a play like that pass to Holmes. On cue for most of the game and then just makes a god awful throw at the most inopportune time. :banghead:

It's like the great Jay and the bad Jay all in one game. It's plays like that which stop him from being elite.

That's exactly Jay in a nut shell, he is who he is and that won't change.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#58 » by blumeany » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:21 pm

SOOOOO many mental errors. That all lands on the coaching staff. These guys are ill-prepared to play. But, some of the especially egregious moments would be:

1. Once again, guys not knowing when a ball is live and not instinctively downing it. This is something to easily dissect because the previous coaching staff was SO religious about guys getting to the ball and treating every ball as live. Since Trestman has been the head coach, we've seen a couple of these gaffes.

2. What the hell was Bennett doing on that Forte run? I mean, he has to know that the guy right next to him is going to try and make a play. Just a terribly boneheaded move.

3. The offense once again shrinking in the red zone.

4. What happened to Jeffery and Marshall? Why was Jay not throwing to them late? If Carolina adjusted to our offense, why didn't we have a counter for that? We know who Jay is and what he needs. Having him trying to throw a crossing route to Santonio Holmes is going to end in a pick at least 50% of the time. Those throws go to Alshon and Brandon for a reason.

5. Both sides of the ball started the game out looking pretty good, but then both sides were unable to adjust to what Carolina was doing in the second half. The game was within their grasp all the way until that Forte fumble, really. To me, adjusting all falls on the coaches.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#59 » by blumeany » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:22 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I think so

How can you speed up when jay can't make good decisions consistently at a snails pace ?

I could tell you we're a slow team just by the fact that I can hit the 'jump' button on my DVR and not miss a play. Our opponents? Can't do that. Always end up having to rewind a few time to catch their play.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#60 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:28 pm

dumbell78 wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:

That's exactly Jay in a nut shell, he is who he is and that won't change.

I was living in the Denver area in 2008 and the Bears are like the 2008-09 Broncos. Gain a ton of yards, pile up yardage, but somehow cannot score a ton of points.. and can't stop anybody. This is Bronco Jay Cutler. Throw dumb INT's at the WORST possible times and after moving the ball well. Yesterday, the first one was ridiculous. He flipped the ball into traffic with ZERO chance of a completion and a high probability of being picked.. the 2nd one was just another terrible pass, over throw at the worst possible time of the game for it.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to Chicago Bears