Image Image Image Image

Week 1 - Bears vs Packers: Go Mack Go!

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: Week 1 - Bears vs Packers: Go Mack Go! 

Post#281 » by Axxo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:The more I think about it, the more pessimistic I get about Trubisky. It just doesn't seem like he has the accuracy, pocket awareness, or field vision to ever become an elite QB. I see guys like Goff, Wentz, and even Darnold show so much more promise than Trubisky ever has, and it gets kinda depressing. :lol:

Really hope I'm wrong and am open to be persuaded otherwise.

This is where only having 13 games college exp and not seeing any real competition during that time comes into play. Thats why some of us wanted Watson for this very reason. Mitch needs to catch up and that includes pocket awareness etc. That is if the pressure doesn't break him.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#282 » by Axxo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm

I have been listening to reports on the all 22 and here are some things pointed out about both teams:

On defense Packers ran a pressure heavy 3-3-5 formation largely based on personnel. They are thin at LB and B.Martinez was exposed so this formation allowed him to roam sideline to sideline in the 2nd level. Apparently he was used this way in college. However, 3-3-5 can expose a team to run gaps. In the 2nd half they switched to a zone. Avg time to throw the football in the 1st half was 3.16 secs. Avg time to throw the football in the 2nd half was 2.47 secs. GB pretty much abandoned their original game plan and rode Rodgers in the 2nd half.

On defense Bears ran Cvr 1, Cvr 3, Cvr 6, Single high, 1 robber and a man to man mix. Coverages were initially disguised at the line of scrimmage which is all pretty good and something he would usually do. However, Fangio’s scheme did leave the corners on an island and they are our weakest group. Safety depth was also identified as an issue. And where he did employ a Cvr 6 which is 2 safeties back Amos kept cheating up and Rodgers keyed in on that.

Nagy’s offense did free up the Wideouts and Burk however, Mitch fled the pocket prematurely and mostly likely dropping is eyes so he didn’t see the open receivers. He was only pressure 25% of the time and some of the times he bailed he wasn’t under pressure.

Obviously no scheme you run will completely stop Rodgers but Bears did enough to hurt themselves to give him the opportunities to win the game.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#283 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 pm

City of Trees wrote:Digesting the Packers game 24 hours later my take is our Bears arent as good as they showed in the first half and they're not as bad as the second half.

Being objective we fall somewhere in the middle.

That middle point is our starting point of the season.

Not bad. Tons of room to grow. Im optimistic the Bears can make some noise this season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

I actually expect our defense to be better. Mack ran out of gas due to conditioning, and Quan only played 8 snaps.

Offense is and will be the complete question mark till Mitch can get better and hopefuly he does as the season goes along.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,922

Post#284 » by NZB2323 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 pm

I’m generally optimistic about next week. Mack will have more time to practice with the team, and should be in better shape. Roquan Smith should get more playing time. Mitch has very little experience and the more experience he gets the more he should grow.

I have to get my hopes up for next week so that way they can get crushed again.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#285 » by Axxo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 am

This is why mitch needs to be patient in Nagy's offense.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#286 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 am

Axxo wrote:This is why mitch needs to be patient in Nagy's offense.

They are calling him one read Mitch on ESPN1000. It's definitely a weakness for him right now.

We have to hope that with more reps he can fix that issue, because other wise he won't be anything more than a game manager.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#287 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 am

NZB2323 wrote:I’m generally optimistic about next week. Mack will have more time to practice with the team, and should be in better shape. Roquan Smith should get more playing time. Mitch has very little experience and the more experience he gets the more he should grow.

Seahawks offensive line is awful, so the Bears frontline should have a field day. Von Miller got 3 sacks last week, so Mack should have a big game too.

With that said, the offense needs to show up. In the past this is the type of game where our offense completely craps the bed and our QB turns the ball over so much that even steller defense isn't enough. Hopefully we see Mitch and the rest of the offense make progress instead of taking a step backwards.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#288 » by Axxo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:

They are calling him one read Mitch on ESPN1000. It's definitely a weakness for him right now.

We have to hope that with more reps he can fix that issue, because other wise he won't be anything more than a game manager.

No one has ever mistaken me for a homer that said, btx Nagy, Brad Childress and Helfrich I'm confident they can fix it because they should be able to google.
http://lifeafterfootballblog.com/struggle-3-3-5-defense/

The other reason is Mitch is very coachable. My concern is his ceiling. Is he going to be A-12 Jr or Tyrod Taylor.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#289 » by Axxo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:06 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:I’m generally optimistic about next week. Mack will have more time to practice with the team, and should be in better shape. Roquan Smith should get more playing time. Mitch has very little experience and the more experience he gets the more he should grow.

Seahawks offensive line is awful, so the Bears frontline should have a field day. Von Miller got 3 sacks last week, so Mack should have a big game too.

With that said, the offense needs to show up. In the past this is the type of game where our offense completely craps the bed and our QB turns the ball over so much that even steller defense isn't enough. Hopefully we see Mitch and the rest of the offense make progress instead of taking a step backwards.

And put 2 good halfs of play calling and defense together....
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#290 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

And put 2 good halfs of play calling and defense together....

I think if the offense is able to consistently stay in the field, the defense will be more fresh. While there were breakdowns in the secondary that need to be worked on, we day some guys that started to look fatigued. Mack in particular considering his conditioning is getting back to game shape.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#291 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

No one has ever mistaken me for a homer that said, btx Nagy, Brad Childress and Helfrich I'm confident they can fix it because they should be able to google.

The other reason is Mitch is very coachable. My concern is his ceiling. Is he going to be A-12 Jr or Tyrod Taylor.

That's quite a gap between the players.

Imo, if he can burn into Alex Smith (what he did with the Cheifs) we should be happy. Right now he still hasn't shown a reason to think he can be an elite QB, and he has a long way to go to even get to Alex Smith. That doesnt mean it's bad, but I don't see a reason to wonder if he could be ARod.

Not right now anyways.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,047

Post#292 » by Chi town » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:They are calling him one read Mitch on ESPN1000. It's definitely a weakness for him right now.

Imo, if he can burn into Alex Smith (what he did with the Cheifs) we should be happy. Right now he still hasn't shown a reason to think he can be an elite QB, and he has a long way to go to even get to Alex Smith. That doesnt mean it's bad, but I don't see a reason to wonder if he could be ARod.

Not right now anyways.

I think russell Wilson Alex Smith are good comps for Mitch. I think his ceiling is a Brees type player w his accuracy.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#293 » by Axxo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Chi town wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:No one has ever mistaken me for a homer that said, btx Nagy, Brad Childress and Helfrich I'm confident they can fix it because they should be able to google.

Not right now anyways.

I think russell Wilson Alex Smith are good comps for Mitch. I think his ceiling is a Brees type player w his accuracy.

Yeah but tbh, if I'm judging in hindsight..Alex Smith isn't worth trading picks to move up for. And I don't see Alex Smith leading a team to a SB.

I didn't search very hard just fyi, but here are some comparisons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_passer_rating_leaders
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,047

Post#294 » by Chi town » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Axxo wrote:
Chi town wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:That's quite a gap between the players.

Not right now anyways.

Yeah but tbh, if I'm judging in hindsight..Alex Smith isn't worth trading picks to move up for. And I don't see Alex Smith leading a team to a SB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_passer_rating_leaders

Alex Smith w this defense and our offensive weapons... could win multiple SBs.

If Money Mitch could play like Wilson or Smith by end of season and then grow beyond them in the future he would be a homerun pick and Paces timing would be perfect.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#295 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Axxo wrote:
Chi town wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:That's quite a gap between the players.

Not right now anyways.

I don't disagree with you about the trade, but there have been worse QBs that lead a team to a superbowl. If Mitch is Alex Smith, then that means it will be our defense that will need to be built consistently at an elite level and it could work because at that point you won't need to pay Mitch premium QB money.

And let's be real, if Mitch ever has a season like Smith had last year, I doubt anyone will be complaining.

Either way, this is all premature. Mitch needs a lot of work to do to get to any starting level QB even. Hopefully he has the right people leading him and he can develop.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#296 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Chi town wrote:
Axxo wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Alex Smith w this defense and our offensive weapons... could win multiple SBs.

If Money Mitch could play like Wilson or Smith by end of season and then grow beyond them in the future he would be a homerun pick and Paces timing would be perfect.

Wilson is damn good if not great (just look at his numbers and the way he plays. He's a smart QB and has a strong arm). He's better than Smith, and I like Smith and wouldn't be mad if Mitch turned into what Smith became with the chiefs.

I'd be shocked if Mitch got to Wilson's level by the end of this season considering how far he is in even looking like a starting QB right now. MAYBE he could get to Alex Smith he was younger.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#297 » by Axxo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:45 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:
Chi town wrote:

I don't disagree with you about the trade, but there have been worse QBs that lead a team to a superbowl. If Mitch is Alex Smith, then that means it will be our defense that will need to be built consistently at an elite level and it could work because at that point you won't need to pay Mitch premium QB money.

And let's be real, if Mitch ever has a season like Smith had last year, I doubt anyone will be complaining.

Either way, this is all premature. Mitch needs a lot of work to do to get to any starting level QB even. Hopefully he has the right people leading him and he can develop.

As long as we didn't have to pay a premium for someone at that level. I'd rather put that money in the defense, but the going rate for decent QBs is high b/c there are teams out there with worse ones (like the Bills) that would pay big money for a game manager.

Return to Chicago Bears