Bears off-season moves

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Bears off-season moves 

Post#21 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 am

I see Amos leaving in FA. If that's the case SS will be out greatest need.

Other positions of need:
RT (Massie expires. Resign?)
OLB depth
FB
K (Gould?)
CB depth

I would ask Long to take a pay cut. I'm against cutting him.

No way in hell do I cut Trevathan or Prince.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#22 » by Axxo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I do think Prince is slowing down. If we keep him he can't be a #2.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#23 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

City of Trees wrote:I see Amos leaving in FA. If that's the case SS will be out greatest need.

Other positions of need:
OLB depth
FB
K (Gould?)
CB depth

Why is FB a top need? We barely ever used a FB. And half the time it was an OL or DL. I think if we really want a FB we'll re-sign Burton or bring Nall up from the practice squad since he can also play RB.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Axxo wrote:Parkey made a comment about not wanting to practice at soldier field b/c he didnt want to sit in traffic. I think he needs to go after the june milestone or by training camp. Move Tabor out now. Dont need another year to see why he was coaching on the Browns 0-16 team.

In a perfect world I'd fire Tabor and Parkey. Sign Toub and Gould. But it's just not gonna happen.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#25 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I see Amos leaving in FA. If that's the case SS will be out greatest need.

Other positions of need:
OLB depth
FB
K (Gould?)
CB depth

Why is FB a top need? We barely ever used a FB. And half the time it was an OL or DL. I think if we really want a FB we'll re-sign Burton or bring Nall up from the practice squad since he can also play RB.
FB is low on the list but in my eyes its still something Pace should look at improving. Burton lost almost all playing time by years end with Nagy opting for Sowell or a TE at FB.

Bears dont have an NFL fullback on the roster. Id like to see that change

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:45 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:

Other positions of need:
OLB depth
FB
K (Gould?)
CB depth

FB is low on the list but in my eyes its still something Pace should look at improving. Burton lost almost all playing time by years end with Nagy opting for Sowell or a TE at FB.

Based on what I saw Sowell is an elite lead blocker and he high pointed a TD catch in traffic. Hicks had a TD run. Burton had a couple TD plays out of FB. What more can you ask for?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#27 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:19 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:Why is FB a top need? We barely ever used a FB. And half the time it was an OL or DL. I think if we really want a FB we'll re-sign Burton or bring Nall up from the practice squad since he can also play RB.

Based on what I saw Sowell is an elite lead blocker and he high pointed a TD catch in traffic. Hicks had a TD run. Burton had a couple TD plays out of FB. What more can you ask for?
I view Burton as a horrible lead blocker. Personally, I like a FB whk can lead block. Thats your foundation as a player. I just dont like Burton because of that. Athletically he is fine.

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#28 » by patryk7754 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Burton seems to be a bust. He can’t catch worth a damn. If he improves that he might be able to live up to his contract. It’ll be hard to move on from him but I don’t think Pace is ready to give up on him anyway. Part of what makes Nagy type of offenses successful is having athletic TEs. Shaheen is big and strong but not very fast. Burton is fast but can’t catch. This is why I have the bears drafting a TE first. We don’t really have any huge needs so I think that’s the way to go.

This offense doesn’t really require having a FB so I think we bring burton back.

I absolutely don’t see us moving on from Parkey. By the time his cap hit goes from 5 something to 4 something all the good kickers will be signed. No way Gould is coming back. And no way we’re dedicating 6-8 mil to the kicker position.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:FB is low on the list but in my eyes its still something Pace should look at improving. Burton lost almost all playing time by years end with Nagy opting for Sowell or a TE at FB.

I view Burton as a horrible lead blocker. Personally, I like a FB whk can lead block. Thats your foundation as a player. I just dont like Burton because of that. Athletically he is fine.

My post wasn't clear. I meant Trey Burton got a couple TDs out of the FB position. I don't think we need the other Burton or any player who is purely a FB. Sowell was an amazing lead blocker when he came in. We get FB plays out of a variety of players.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Burton seems to be a bust. He can’t catch worth a damn. If he improves that he might be able to live up to his contract. It’ll be hard to move on from him but I don’t think Pace is ready to give up on him anyway. Part of what makes Nagy type of offenses successful is having athletic TEs. Shaheen is big and strong but not very fast. Burton is fast but can’t catch. This is why I have the bears drafting a TE first. We don’t really have any huge needs so I think that’s the way to go.

This offense doesn’t really require having a FB so I think we bring burton back.

I absolutely don’t see us moving on from Parkey. By the time his cap hit goes from 5 something to 4 something all the good kickers will be signed. No way Gould is coming back. And no way we’re dedicating 6-8 mil to the kicker position.

With the amount of money and the high draft pick spent at TE it makes more sense to me to get young backups where we have expiring contracts. Like OL, RB and QB. They want to give as many snaps as possible to Burton and Shaheen to foster some confidence and development. Remember that Burton was a #3 TE before this season.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#31 » by Axxo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:39 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:We could also use a KR. Cohen only handled PR and our kick return average was near the bottom of the league I think.

While I'm on the topic of kickoffs, Cody Parkey kicks like a *itch in kickoffs. He was trash in every category this season. He needs to fix all this stuff in the off-season because we owe him too much damn money for this!

How about K.Turpin for a KR?
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#32 » by MalagaBulls » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 pm

My 2019 Bears off season throw shite at the wall mock (FA & Draft). The majority of our primary starters on our O & D are under contract for 2019.

Between our own FA's I sacrificed Amos and kept Callahan who is among the top 5 NB's in the NFL.

Needs: 1. RT starter 2. Safety starter 3. Kicker starter 4. OLB Depth 5. Future RG CAP available prior to cuts/contract modifications 51 top contracts leaves 19.7M plus Glennon's 2018 salary offset (2.5M) credited back = 22.2M

Cuts/restructures/conversions

1. Cut Dion Sims (Always injured and not worth 6M) - 6M

2. Cut Cody Parkey (Huge blunder by Pace as his choke in the playoffs plus hitting the upright in key games made for an atrocious year (We have to eat 5.1M dead cap) - 1.1M

3. Cut Sam Acho (OLB depth should not ne a problem this year with quite a few edge defenders hitting the market) - 2.1M

4. Convert 4.5M of Kyle Long's 2019 salary into a signing bonus spread out over 2019-21. 3M 22.2 + 12.2M = 34.4M CAP

Free Agency (Other team's FA's) - This year there are no big name home runs but rather diamonds in the rough with good upside other than Gould.

1. Robbie Gould K - 3 years 10M with 5M guaranteed. Gives us a rock solid kicker and erases the huge blunder that was Parkey. 2019 CAP hit = 2M 32.2M left

2. Clayton Geathers SS - 3 years 7.5M with 5M guaranteed. A decent alternative to Adrian Amos who unfortunately may ask for 5.5-6M per year. Geathers was strong in run support even though he only graded out #46 on PFF. Ed Donatell will be able to work with him and get him better in the box & as a blitzer under Pagano's aggresive schemes. 2019 Cap hit = 2.5M 29.7M left

3. George Fant RT/OT - 3 years 9M 4.5M guaranteed. A somewhat raw OT who has seen time at both LT & RT. He can really be molded into a good to excellent tackle by Heistand. He often lined up as a blocking TE and has 1 TD reception. At the least he will give Coward excellent competition and can serve as the swing tackle or as a blocking TE. 2019 Cap hit = 1.5M 28.2M left

4. Shane Ray OLB - 1 year 3M 2M guaranteed. Ray is this year's roll of the dice at OLB. He has been a big disappointment in Denver but I think a change of scenery under Pagano does him a world of good. Cap hit 2M 26.2 M left.

Our own FA's

1. Bryce Callahan CB/NB - 4 years 30M 15M guaranteed. Bryce had a stellar year and is critical to our D in the age of high flying O's. We will have almost 35M sunk into the secondary position group but Bryce is critical and more valueable than Amos.The Phins gave Bobby McCain a 4/27M contract as quite possibly the best NB in fhe NFL during 2017. 2019 CAP = 8M 18.2M left.

2. Rashaad Coward OT - 2 years 1.5M 750K guaranteed. Coward had an entire year to do reps with the 2nd team ans learn under Heistand. I think he makes really good strides and will challenge Fant for starting RT. 2019 CAP 500K 17.7M left.

3. Josh Bellamy - WR/ST - 2 Years 4M 2M guaranteed. Belamy has been stout on ST but last year had a decent run of games as the 4th WR on the depth chart. I think he has another good 2 years in the tank and will give Trub an occasional target on 10-20 yard tnrows and in the Redzone. 2019 1M Cap hit 16.7M left.

4. Roy Robertson- Harris DT - 3 Years 4.5M 2.5M guaranteed. He is a decent rotational piece who applies pressure and can occasionally collapse the run game alongside Hicks & Goldman. 2019 1.5M Cap hit 15.2M left.

5. Ryan Witzmann RG/SG - 2 years 2M 1M guaranteed. Witzmann did ok filling in for Long for 5-6 games and can also play LG in a pinch. 2019 Cap hit 1M 14.2M left.

6. Patrick Scales LS - 2 years 1.5M 750K guaranteed. Scales is a steady force on ST for pumt and FG snaps. 2019 Cap hit 700K 13.5M left

7. Isaiah Irving OLB - 2 years 1.5M 500K guaranteed. Irving along with Fitts will battle for the 4th & 5th depth spots. Irving has upside. 2019 500K Cap hit 12.7M left.

Draft 12.7M left. We need 2.5-3M for our 5 draft slots (3rd-5th & 7th rounds and our 1st & 6th to Oak and our 2nd to NE due to trades).

1. 3rd round pick 88 as of 12 Jan 19. With our pick we select Erik McCoy Teaxas A&M, who is 6.4 & 315 lbs. McCoy is as talented and well rounded as any interior offensive linemen in this class. He can play power or zone systems and pass and run block at a high level. He should step right into the league and start for a team from day one. With Heistand to coach him he should be able to replace Long as early as 2020. Long can then switch to swing guard. McCoy has a 2nd round grade in some mocks and that will depend on the Senior Bowl & Combine reports. We beef up the right side and will address a backup center in round 5.

2. 4th round pick 120 as of 12 Jan 19. Pace has done incredibly well in the middle rounds and we select Cameron Smith from USC as an ILB. He is 6.2 and weighs 254 lbs. Smith is a solid inside linebacker who is a good run defender. He has improved his pass-coverage skills, but he is a bit stiff and slow to cover for the NFL. Smith will need more development to become a pro three-down starter. In 2018, he has 81 tackles with 7.5 for a loss and four passes broken up. He can be coached up by Glen Pires to be a 2-3 down starter by 2020.

3. 5th round pick 152 as of 12 Jan 19. We select Connor McGovern who is a C from Penn State. He is 6.5 and weighs 315 lbs. He gets into position and lines up trap blocks well with his understanding of the play’s development and also fights well with excellent hand placement to go along with nice choppy feet. He is not overpowering by any means but he is very quick out of his stance and wins with leverage and speed on interior blocks. McGovern can anchor down but he can still be moved off his spot and needs to add more thickness to his frame to maximize his potential. Another project for Heistand.

4. 7th round pick 216 we select JR Reed from Georgia who is a S (Hope he really slides to become a monster on ST). He is 6.1 and weighs 205 lbs. Plays with excellent controlled aggression. Sure tackler who throttles down and comes to balance, yet plays with active feet. Adjusts angles to the ball as needed. Good reads and fills against the run. Runs the alley with no hesitation. Strong identification of routes breaking in his zone and takes good angles to the football. Closing burst to the ball flashed several times in coverage. Patient in his footwork, reads receivers’ hips and reacts quickly. Sharp mental processor who is rarely caught out of position. Tough, physical and plays with an non-stop motor.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by MalagaBulls » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

Read on Twitter
Axxo
Analyst

Post#34 » by Axxo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:21 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

Read on Twitter

Can we move this to the Kareem Hunt thread?
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#35 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Pace made some comments implying theres a good chance the bears move on from Parkey
Axxo
Analyst

Post#36 » by Axxo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Pace made some comments implying theres a good chance the bears move on from Parkey

smart... :nod:
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 am

Axxo wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:We could also use a KR. Cohen only handled PR and our kick return average was near the bottom of the league I think.

While I'm on the topic of kickoffs, Cody Parkey kicks like a *itch in kickoffs. He was trash in every category this season. He needs to fix all this stuff in the off-season because we owe him too much damn money for this!

How about K.Turpin for a KR?

I prefer Kerrith Whyte.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#38 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:00 am

I was unaware that Parkey went on the today show to talk about the miss. Pretty bad move considering he’s been trash.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 am

MalagaBulls wrote:My 2019 Bears off season throw shite at the wall mock (FA & Draft). The majority of our primary starters on our O & D are under contract for 2019.

Between our own FA's I sacrificed Amos and kept Callahan who is among the top 5 NB's in the NFL.

Needs: 1. RT starter 2. Safety starter 3. Kicker starter 4. OLB Depth 5. Future RG CAP available prior to cuts/contract modifications 51 top contracts leaves 19.7M plus Glennon's 2018 salary offset (2.5M) credited back = 22.2M

Cuts/restructures/conversions

1. Cut Dion Sims (Always injured and not worth 6M) - 6M

2. Cut Cody Parkey (Huge blunder by Pace as his choke in the playoffs plus hitting the upright in key games made for an atrocious year (We have to eat 5.1M dead cap) - 1.1M

3. Cut Sam Acho (OLB depth should not ne a problem this year with quite a few edge defenders hitting the market) - 2.1M

4. Convert 4.5M of Kyle Long's 2019 salary into a signing bonus spread out over 2019-21. 3M 22.2 + 12.2M = 34.4M CAP

Free Agency (Other team's FA's) - This year there are no big name home runs but rather diamonds in the rough with good upside other than Gould.

1. Robbie Gould K - 3 years 10M with 5M guaranteed. Gives us a rock solid kicker and erases the huge blunder that was Parkey. 2019 CAP hit = 2M 32.2M left

2. Clayton Geathers SS - 3 years 7.5M with 5M guaranteed. A decent alternative to Adrian Amos who unfortunately may ask for 5.5-6M per year. Geathers was strong in run support even though he only graded out #46 on PFF. Ed Donatell will be able to work with him and get him better in the box & as a blitzer under Pagano's aggresive schemes. 2019 Cap hit = 2.5M 29.7M left

3. George Fant RT/OT - 3 years 9M 4.5M guaranteed. A somewhat raw OT who has seen time at both LT & RT. He can really be molded into a good to excellent tackle by Heistand. He often lined up as a blocking TE and has 1 TD reception. At the least he will give Coward excellent competition and can serve as the swing tackle or as a blocking TE. 2019 Cap hit = 1.5M 28.2M left

4. Shane Ray OLB - 1 year 3M 2M guaranteed. Ray is this year's roll of the dice at OLB. He has been a big disappointment in Denver but I think a change of scenery under Pagano does him a world of good. Cap hit 2M 26.2 M left.

Our own FA's

1. Bryce Callahan CB/NB - 4 years 30M 15M guaranteed. Bryce had a stellar year and is critical to our D in the age of high flying O's. We will have almost 35M sunk into the secondary position group but Bryce is critical and more valueable than Amos.The Phins gave Bobby McCain a 4/27M contract as quite possibly the best NB in fhe NFL during 2017. 2019 CAP = 8M 18.2M left.

2. Rashaad Coward OT - 2 years 1.5M 750K guaranteed. Coward had an entire year to do reps with the 2nd team ans learn under Heistand. I think he makes really good strides and will challenge Fant for starting RT. 2019 CAP 500K 17.7M left.

3. Josh Bellamy - WR/ST - 2 Years 4M 2M guaranteed. Belamy has been stout on ST but last year had a decent run of games as the 4th WR on the depth chart. I think he has another good 2 years in the tank and will give Trub an occasional target on 10-20 yard tnrows and in the Redzone. 2019 1M Cap hit 16.7M left.

4. Roy Robertson- Harris DT - 3 Years 4.5M 2.5M guaranteed. He is a decent rotational piece who applies pressure and can occasionally collapse the run game alongside Hicks & Goldman. 2019 1.5M Cap hit 15.2M left.

5. Ryan Witzmann RG/SG - 2 years 2M 1M guaranteed. Witzmann did ok filling in for Long for 5-6 games and can also play LG in a pinch. 2019 Cap hit 1M 14.2M left.

6. Patrick Scales LS - 2 years 1.5M 750K guaranteed. Scales is a steady force on ST for pumt and FG snaps. 2019 Cap hit 700K 13.5M left

7. Isaiah Irving OLB - 2 years 1.5M 500K guaranteed. Irving along with Fitts will battle for the 4th & 5th depth spots. Irving has upside. 2019 500K Cap hit 12.7M left.

Draft 12.7M left. We need 2.5-3M for our 5 draft slots (3rd-5th & 7th rounds and our 1st & 6th to Oak and our 2nd to NE due to trades).

1. 3rd round pick 88 as of 12 Jan 19. With our pick we select Erik McCoy Teaxas A&M, who is 6.4 & 315 lbs. McCoy is as talented and well rounded as any interior offensive linemen in this class. He can play power or zone systems and pass and run block at a high level. He should step right into the league and start for a team from day one. With Heistand to coach him he should be able to replace Long as early as 2020. Long can then switch to swing guard. McCoy has a 2nd round grade in some mocks and that will depend on the Senior Bowl & Combine reports. We beef up the right side and will address a backup center in round 5.

2. 4th round I 120 as of 12 Jan 19. Pace has done incredibly well in the middle rounds and we select Cameron Smith from USC as an ILB. He is 6.2 and weighs 254 lbs. Smith is a solid inside linebacker who is a good run defender. He has improved his pass-coverage skills, but he is a bit stiff and slow to cover for the NFL. Smith will need more development to become a pro three-down starter. In 2018, he has 81 tackles with 7.5 for a loss and four passes broken up. He can be coached up by Glen Pires to be a 2-3 down starter by 2020.

3. 5th round pick 152 as of 12 Jan 19. We select Connor McGovern who is a C from Penn State. He is 6.5 and weighs 315 lbs. He gets into position and lines up trap blocks well with his understanding of the play’s development and also fights well with excellent hand placement to go along with nice choppy feet. He is not overpowering by any means but he is very quick out of his stance and wins with leverage and speed on interior blocks. McGovern can anchor down but he can still be moved off his spot and needs to add more thickness to his frame to maximize his potential. Another project for Heistand.

4. 7th round pick 216 we select JR Reed from Georgia who is a S (Hope he really slides to become a monster on ST). He is 6.1 and weighs 205 lbs. Plays with excellent controlled aggression. Sure tackler who throttles down and comes to balance, yet plays with active feet. Adjusts angles to the ball as needed. Good reads and fills against the run. Runs the alley with no hesitation. Strong identification of routes breaking in his zone and takes good angles to the football. Closing burst to the ball flashed several times in coverage. Patient in his footwork, reads receivers’ hips and reacts quickly. Sharp mental processor who is rarely caught out of position. Tough, physical and plays with an non-stop motor.

Overall I like this. Fant would be a great addition at that price. I wouldn't pat Callahan that much unless he's the #2 and we trade Amukamara. Just too much money allocated to CB. I would also like to keep Amos, but if money is too tight then Geathers does play a similar style. I think there are a ton of excellent safeties available and I'm sure Pagano will help pick.

I also think that if we draft OL the priority will be OT. We have good interior lineman on the roster and on the practice squad. All we have at tackle is Leno and Sowell. Keeping Coward will be nice but he's still just a practice squad guy. Adding Fant will be nice but he's not even an upgrade over Massie.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bears