ImageImageImageImage

Rumor: Browns trade for Corey Williams

B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Rumor: Browns trade for Corey Williams 

Post#1 » by B Mac » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:01 am

Citing "sources," the Washington Post reports the Browns will acquire franchise player Corey Williams from the Packers at midnight tonight.
Green Bay is looking for a second-round pick in exchange for Williams. If this report proves true, Packers GM Ted Thompson will look brilliant. By franchising Williams and putting him on the block, Thompson will have nabbed a day one pick for a player he originally appeared all but certain to lose. Feb. 28 - 9:05 pm et

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines. ... 3248&rwr=1

Saweet!!!

For the time being it appears we wont have any first day picks this year (3rd round got moved to Sunday), but I do think that is only for the time being.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#2 » by wichmae » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 am

Yeah its essentially official once he passes a physical.

Great move by both teams. Corey wasn't in our long term plans here and to get a 2nd round pick for a guy we weren't planning on keeping to begin with is outstanding...

He will fill a nice interior pass rush role for you guys. He's a good guy who plays hard and should find a nice home in Cleveland.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Outstanding move! Corey Williams is far better than anything Savage would have drafted with the pick in the 50s. 6yrs./$38M, something like $13.5 up front though that's not ironed out just yet.

Perfect fit for the Browns, and validation that the franchise tag works out for the players too--he's much more valuable to CLE than GB and will be paid so.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,074

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:12 pm

You guys certainly got a good player. We (Green Bay) had a glut of defensive tackles and will use the money elsewhere.

The only question is how will Corey perform once he gets his payday. Personally I think he'll be fine but there is always that question with any player getting his first big check. Is the motivation still there?
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#5 » by rjgraca » Sun Mar 2, 2008 3:25 am

I like the what the Browns GM has gone about free agency. After Eric Dorsey there are not any outstanding defensive lineman in this years draft -- hence the trades of draft picks.

From ESPN:

Williams has good size and solid athleticism. He is at his best when stunting. He has great initial quickness to penetrate gaps and the speed to chase down plays from the back side. He has developed his pass-rush repertoire, improving his hand use and developing a variety of interior moves. He has improved his reactions to pad pressure. He has natural power and strength to anchor in the middle when he plays with good pad level. He can push the pocket as a bull rusher or use quick countermoves to disrupt inside. He's versatile enough to play either interior position.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#6 » by heathmalc » Mon Mar 3, 2008 5:42 pm

rjgraca wrote:I like the what the Browns GM has gone about free agency. After Eric Dorsey there are not any outstanding defensive lineman in this years draft -- hence the trades of draft picks.

From ESPN:

Williams has good size and solid athleticism. He is at his best when stunting. He has great initial quickness to penetrate gaps and the speed to chase down plays from the back side. He has developed his pass-rush repertoire, improving his hand use and developing a variety of interior moves. He has improved his reactions to pad pressure. He has natural power and strength to anchor in the middle when he plays with good pad level. He can push the pocket as a bull rusher or use quick countermoves to disrupt inside. He's versatile enough to play either interior position.

Have you forgot about Vernon Gholston? He may be the best DL in the draft. At any-rate, we wouldn't have got him, so it doesn't matter.
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#7 » by rjgraca » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:35 am

No, I have not forgotten about Vernon Gholston -- I just think Dorsey has a little more upside despite his injuries. Just using Dorsey as an example and I am aware from reading different published reports that Gholston is one of the biggest movers right now in the draft upward on most boards.
Super Bad
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Super Bad » Sun Apr 6, 2008 3:35 am

We needed a D line men, there were none in the draft so he went and got one. There is not second picks that would be as good as Williams, another great move Phil Savage, also the Packers didn't need him and got a high pick for the deal, good deal by both the teams.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Re: Rumor: Browns trade for Corey Williams 

Post#9 » by eagle13 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Friendly Packer fan wondering how Corey has looked so far?
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Re: Rumor: Browns trade for Corey Williams 

Post#10 » by Gordon Bombay » Mon Sep 1, 2008 10:09 pm

eagle13 wrote:Friendly Packer fan wondering how Corey has looked so far?

tough to tell because of the all inactivity in preseason for basically all of our starters

Return to Cleveland Browns