http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Rondo_Fan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Rondo_Fan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:you guys didnt give up much for him I hope

Too soon to tell, but we might have given up a division championship for him...

Yabba-dabba-doo!
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#4 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:50 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:you guys didnt give up much for him I hope

Gabbard is a 4th starter in this league at best. And Murphy is a 4th outfielder. The player I do worry about is Beltre becoming something...but he is very very young (17 I believe).

Of course with the garbage Gagne is showing, it might be too much just to give up a 4th starter and 4th outfielder.
celtsloyalty
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by celtsloyalty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:48 am

sunshinekids99 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gabbard is a 4th starter in this league at best. And Murphy is a 4th outfielder. The player I do worry about is Beltre becoming something...but he is very very young (17 I believe).

Of course with the garbage Gagne is showing, it might be too much just to give up a 4th starter and 4th outfielder.

Giving up anything at this point is too much for what we got out of Gagne. He has lost 2 games and blown 3 saves with a 9 era. A minor league reliever would be to much for him. Bryan Corey could/has done a better job then him.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#6 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:04 am

Leave this mother **** off the playoff roster. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE ERIC GAGNE! Without him we could easily have at least a 6 game lead in the division right now. Seriously though wtf was Francona doing leaving him in the game? God damnit... it's almost like the Yankees paid Gagne to waive his no trade to Boston and throw games.. for **** sake this man is going to drive me crazy.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:48 am

celtsloyalty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Giving up anything at this point is too much for what we got out of Gagne. He has lost 2 games and blown 3 saves with a 9 era. A minor league reliever would be to much for him. Bryan Corey could/has done a better job then him.

I'd love to argue this point, but there is nothing that would make much sense. I do think he still has good stuff, but for whatever reason he can't locate it from time to time. I still understand the move from Theo's point of view. But your prorbably right that Bryan Corey could do a better job at this point.

As for Francona I have no idea what he was thinking. Once the bases were loaded I was 100% positive Papelbon was coming in. I don't get it.
celtsloyalty
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by celtsloyalty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:21 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd love to argue this point, but there is nothing that would make much sense. I do think he still has good stuff, but for whatever reason he can't locate it from time to time. I still understand the move from Theo's point of view. But your prorbably right that Bryan Corey could do a better job at this point.

As for Francona I have no idea what he was thinking. Once the bases were loaded I was 100% positive Papelbon was coming in. I don't get it.

Well if Francona was doing it to show Gagne that he gave him all the chances in the world and he didn't prove anything then I think it was a good move. Now he can go to someone else in the eighth inning without having to worry about Gagne flipping out and ruining the moral, because there is nothing that Gagne could say at this point.
But if Francona does his whole "I'm sticking with him through anything" then I will be pissed. It's one thing to do it through the first several months of the season but not the last month, especially when we haven't even clinched.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Maybe it was just that Gagne has started to pitch better and was hoping he was back. I guess that's not the case. The team needs to go with Timlin and Okajima at this point. I'd like to see what Buchholz could do in that role once he's back to the pen.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#10 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:07 pm

The only thing that makes sense is that they want Eric Gagne to work through whatever his problem is so he's good for the playoffs. They really don't give a **** about the division title at this point and the playoffs are more than 99.9% assured, so it's a good idea for the long run.

Or maybe Francona is an idiot.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Red Sox