ImageImage

The Real Reason why Mchale wasn't fired

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

ghostowl
Sophomore
And1: 46

The Real Reason why Mchale wasn't fired 

Post#1 » by ghostowl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 am

Mchale underperformed with arguably the best center and SG in the league, and barely made the bottom seeds into the playoffs just to get embarrassed by Portland. Everyone thought he was going to get fired, but he didn't. The real reason why he didn't, is because of Politics.

If Morey let Mchale go last season, then he himself would be under the hot-seat this year if Rockets under-perform again. Thats why they blamed everything on the assistant coach so that Mchale would have one more year, which effectively gave Morey another year. Lots of companies do this type of practice, and it's very common out there.

I don't think anyone in the Rockets organization or anyone with a brain can say that Dean Cooper was the reason why Rockets did not have a real system, or why Harden didn't buy into Mchale's plans. Dean Cooper was only a scapegoat. Mchale is arguably one of the worst coaches in the NBA right now, but Morey also brought in Mchale, not for his coaching abilities, but for his ability to control the coach. Remember what Morey said about coaching position, that it's irrelevant? He simply wants someone he can control. It's all politics people.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Re: The Real Reason why Mchale wasn't fired 

Post#2 » by zapatasblood » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 am

McHale is the greatest Rocket coach ever and Morey needs to extend soon if not now
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#3 » by rocketsballin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:20 am

i love mchale's style. its one thing to win with a well-organized gameplan backed by an intricate playbook with competant assistant coaches. its an entirely different affair when you go into each and every game completely unprepared, with no scouting report, and absolutely no gameplan whatsoever. mchale managed to keep his team above .500 with b2b playoff appearences in the stacked west using this strategy. to that i say...give him 4 more years.

NOT!

he'd make a good assistant coach. lead assistant even. but head coach for a contender? hell **** no
Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Post#4 » by Sasaki » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 am

ghostowl wrote:Mchale underperformed with arguably the best center and SG in the league, and barely made the bottom seeds into the playoffs just to get embarrassed by Portland. Everyone thought he was going to get fired, but he didn't. The real reason why he didn't, is because of Politics.

If Morey let Mchale go last season, then he himself would be under the hot-seat this year if Rockets under-perform again. Thats why they blamed everything on the assistant coach so that Mchale would have one more year, which effectively gave Morey another year. Lots of companies do this type of practice, and it's very common out there.

I don't think anyone in the Rockets organization or anyone with a brain can say that Dean Cooper was the reason why Rockets did not have a real system, or why Harden didn't buy into Mchale's plans. Dean Cooper was only a scapegoat. Mchale is arguably one of the worst coaches in the NBA right now, but Morey also brought in Mchale, not for his coaching abilities, but for his ability to control the coach. Remember what Morey said about coaching position, that it's irrelevant? He simply wants someone he can control. It's all politics people.

Who the hell is Dean Cooper?

To me, the reasons not to fire McHale are simple.
1. Dwight likes him/wants to learn from him.
2. It's not like there is someone out there that is so much better anyways. George Karl is probably the only coach out there I think would make a serious improvement, but 1. Do we even know that Karl wants to coach? He's 63, has battled cancer, and has a nice gig with ESPN and 2. I wonder how Karl would work with cneters. Anyone else to me is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic - people say "JVG", but JVG also had the best center and SG in the league, and he won 51 and 52 games in 2005 and 2007 as opposed to 54 for McHale. I'm not saying JVG is worse, I'm saying I don't think there's an appreciable difference from one coach to the next unless you have a Pop or a Phil.
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#5 » by spaceballer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Sasaki wrote:Who the hell is Dean Cooper?

Dean Cooper was the assistant coach let go at the end of last season after the playoffs. After Sampson jumped ship, Cooper was tasked with picking up the defensive role that Sampson filled.
MKL
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#6 » by MKL » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:19 pm

1. Dwight likes him/wants to learn from him.

Oh boy, I would be scared if I was McHale. Dwight really liked SVG too, look at how that turned out. Dwight is like a man-child. He really liked Parsons as well.

I'm sure we can make a huge list on what Dwight likes and how he seem to abandon them... coughbabymamas.

But anyway, don't we already have a McHale thread on the front page?
NBA fan for over 30 years. Please don't get rustled, live in peace.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#7 » by Nebula1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:33 pm

The question remains: who is a better replacement option?

I always like Hollins but he got scooped by Brooklyn.
PocketRockets
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#8 » by PocketRockets » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Larry brown....

Harden goes on to score 50 ppg and we make the finals only to be swept by Cle....
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nebula1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Larry is a bit past his prme now but I do like Kevin Ollie as an option.

Sam Cassell?
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#10 » by jwise44 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:31 am

Nebula1 wrote:Larry is a bit past his prme now but I do like Kevin Ollie as an option.

Sam Cassell?

Didn't Ollie turn down offers so he could stay at his alma mater?
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nebula1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:22 pm

jwise44 wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Larry is a bit past his prme now but I do like Kevin Ollie as an option.

Sam Cassell?

Didn't Ollie turn down offers so he could stay at his alma mater?

He did, but you have to think he'll eventually go up to the NBA.
s1ickd
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#12 » by s1ickd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:32 pm

From an unbiased perspective as a fan of the NBA: I closely watched that Portland/Houston series. I was rooting for Houston.

Houston lost because Lamarcus Aldridge outplayed Dwight Howard and the portland guards were able to dribble past Houston's perimeter defenders almost at will.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#13 » by hayden » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:50 am

s1ickd wrote:From an unbiased perspective as a fan of the NBA: I closely watched that Portland/Houston series. I was rooting for Houston.

Houston lost because Lamarcus Aldridge outplayed Dwight Howard and the portland guards were able to dribble past Houston's perimeter defenders almost at will.

Harden's offense had nothing to do with it?

37.6% from the field on 22 attempts a game (29.6% from 3s on 9 attempts)
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#14 » by rocketsballin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:15 am

if harden was even low 40% from the field and mid 30s from the 3pt line we would've won
Screwston
Rookie
And1: 637

Post#15 » by Screwston » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Nebula1 wrote:The question remains: who is a better replacement option?

I always like Hollins but he got scooped by Brooklyn.

JVG :)

Return to Houston Rockets