ImageImage

Uncofirmed! Panathinaikos offered Scola 3/26mil euro.

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Amel
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Uncofirmed! Panathinaikos offered Scola 3/26mil euro. 

Post#41 » by Amel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Fotsis over Scola any day anytime

but loosing Scola would be a bummer too..he just got used to the team...with him and Landry no one could stop Yaoza in the post
dartherus
Sophomore

Post#42 » by dartherus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote: Fotsis but he's a 6-10 very athletic PF (think Rashard Lewis type with better rebounding and shot blocking) and he's probably almost as good as Scola is, more talented certainly just not as productive. .

Fotsis is so well known in europe for being an under-achiever...but being an underachiever doesn't mean that he's more talented than Scola.
Scola, even in juniors, always outplayed Fotsis, and not precisely with physical skills (Fotsis was slightly taller and more athletic), on the contrary, his edge was based on talent, basketball IQ and attitude.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#43 » by Lakers_4_Life » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:59 pm

dartherus wrote:
Lakers_4_Life wrote: Fotsis but he's a 6-10 very athletic PF (think Rashard Lewis type with better rebounding and shot blocking) and he's probably almost as good as Scola is, more talented certainly just not as productive. .

Fotsis is so well known in europe for being an under-achiever...but being an underachiever doesn't mean that he's more talented than Scola.
Scola, even in juniors, always outplayed Fotsis, and not precisely with physical skills (Fotsis was slightly taller and more athletic), on the contrary, his edge was based on talent, basketball IQ and attitude.

Fotsis is more talented. Scola is better because Fotsis has not used his talent properly. But Fotsis is more talented than him. Actually these days Fotsis is closing the gap with Scola. Scola is still better and improving as he gains more NBA time, but Fotsis is finally starting to get it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year Fotsis is a better player. Would not even surprise me if he is at least as good at the Olympics.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#44 » by Guy986 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 pm

WTF is a Fotsis.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#45 » by texasholdem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Guy986 wrote:WTF is a Fotsis.

Fostis played with the Memphis Grizzlies back in 01-02. He only appeared in 28 games though and his career high was 21 pts. He was a 2nd round pick the year before Scola was drafted. He was rookies with Gasol and Battier.
dartherus
Sophomore

Post#46 » by dartherus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:26 am

Lakers_4_Life wrote:Fotsis is more talented. Scola is better because Fotsis has not used his talent properly. But Fotsis is more talented than him. Actually these days Fotsis is closing the gap with Scola. Scola is still better and improving as he gains more NBA time, but Fotsis is finally starting to get it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year Fotsis is a better player. Would not even surprise me if he is at least as good at the Olympics.

Your post seems wishful thinking from a Laker's fan....

'Fotsis is more talented than him' ??? Perhaps you have a definition of talent wich I'm not aware of?

Even if that'd be true (taking a huge leap of gullibility), wouldn't that turn fotsis jsut a new version of Rentzias?

'I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year Fotsis is a better player.'

Yeah, what Fotsis haven' been able to do in years, in the NBA, in international competition, in Spanish league, will finally do it in one season?

Can you even imagine Fotsis having 25p 11rb in a gold medal game at the olympics?
Can you see him being the MVP in a preolympic tournament, qualifying Argentina secondary team on his own, like Scola did in Las Vegas?

Did you notice that Scola was perennial Best PF of Eurolague?
Are you aware that when both played in the same League (SPanish league), Scola was clearly the best player while Fotsis was a MAJOR OVERPAID BUST in Real Madrid?

Are you aware that Scola is a multiSeason FIBA superstar? who in his first season had 14+ pts and 9+ reb in PLAYOFFS and you're trying to imply that an ethernal promise would be better than him, just because he had a good season after years of being an averpaid bust?
dartherus
Sophomore

Post#47 » by dartherus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:31 am

Lakers_4_Life wrote:Fotsis is more talented. Scola is better because Fotsis has not used his talent properly. But Fotsis is more talented than him. Actually these days Fotsis is closing the gap with Scola. Scola is still better and improving as he gains more NBA time, but Fotsis is finally starting to get it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year Fotsis is a better player. Would not even surprise me if he is at least as good at the Olympics.

'Fotsis is more talented than him' ??? Perhaps you have a definition of talent wich I'm not aware of?

Even if that'd be true (taking a huge leap of gullibility), wouldn't that turn fotsis jsut a new version of Rentzias?

Yeah, what Fotsis haven' been able to do in years, in the NBA, in international competition, in Spanish league, or in Europe in general, will finally do it overnight?

Can you even imagine Fotsis having 25p 11rb in a gold medal game at the olympics?
Can you see him being the MVP in a preolympic tournament, qualifying Argentina secondary team on his own, like Scola did in Las Vegas?

Are you aware that when both played in the same League (SPanish league), Scola was clearly the best player while Fotsis was a MAJOR OVERPAID BUST in Real Madrid?

Are you aware that Scola is a multiSeason FIBA superstar? who in his first season had 14+ pts and 9+ reb in PLAYOFFS and you're trying to imply that Fotsis will be better, just because he had a good season after years of being an overpaid bust?
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#48 » by Lakers_4_Life » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:34 am

dartherus wrote:

Yeah, what Fotsis haven' been able to do in years, in the NBA, in international competition, in Spanish league, will finally do it in one season?

Are you aware that Scola is a multiSeason FIBA superstar? who in his first season had 14+ pts and 9+ reb in PLAYOFFS and you're trying to imply that an ethernal promise would be better than him, just because he had a good season after years of being an averpaid bust?

Are you aware that I said Scola was currently better and had been better but Fotsis was more talented and had not used his talent? Or do you just not read well? Besides Fotsis isn't the same player now. He's using his talent now and he's a lot more athletic than Scola is and he's 6-10. Plus he can shoot the 3 quite well.

Scola is great and until Fotsis finally uses his talent fully Scola will remain better, but you are way down on Fotsis because he's actually starting to put it together. You haven't seen him play recently it's obvious. He was undeniably one of the two best players in ULEB Cup along with Rudy Fernandez.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
Got em Coach
Junior
And1: 33

Post#49 » by Got em Coach » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 am

doesnt mean this fotsis guy's game will translate to the nba. ie you (spanoulis)
and enough with this "he has so much talent, once he uses it he'll be a beast" crap
same old story, different player.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#50 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:09 am

Got em Coach wrote:doesnt mean this fotsis guy's game will translate to the nba. ie you (spanoulis)
and enough with this "he has so much talent, once he uses it he'll be a beast" crap
same old story, different player.

he was already in the NBA once and was a bust.

he's the same age as Scola so his window of improvement is closing.
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#51 » by moofs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 am

Truth. Not all players' can translate their game to any style of playing. There are hundreds of guys that have been through the NBA who stunk until getting with the proper team/system/teammates/role.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
dartherus
Sophomore

Post#52 » by dartherus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:Are you aware that I said Scola was currently better and had been better

But you say as if Scola would just be slightly better, so small difference than just fotsis using his 'talent' would be enough to be better than Scola, when the truth is that Scola has been A VERY LOT BETTER than Fotsis.

Now Fotsis had a good ULEP Cup tournament....so what? ULEP cup is a second class league compared to EUROLEAGUE, wher e Scola was a the best PF year after year until arriving to NBA.

He's using his talent now and he's a lot more athletic than Scola is and he's 6-10. Plus he can shoot the 3 quite well.

It seams that you think that talent=Athleticism....would you consider Stromile Swift or Kwame Brown (far more athletic than Fotsis any of them) very talented persons?

Fotsis was a BUST season after season, in NBA and in Europe, now he has a decent season, and now he's more talented than Scola?? who with 16 years old, was offered huge (by european standars of that time) ten year contract wich, despite being a great thing for a young kid, ended up tying him to Euroleague until the past season?

How more talented was Fotsis when Scola played the senior argentinian national team, and was the one man show with his team in Spanish League first division, saving his team of that time (Cabitel Gijon) of being sent to an inferior division by taking that team on his back at age 18?....while at the same age Fotsis was just a 'very promising prospect'? isn't one of the watermarks of talent being able to perform at great level way ahead of the normal age?
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#53 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:33 pm

When you see Fotsis this summer at the Olympics you will look very stupid for saying what you have here.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#54 » by moofs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Carlos Arroyo.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
dartherus
Sophomore

Post#55 » by dartherus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:When you see Fotsis this summer at the Olympics you will look very stupid for saying what you have here.

And that's all your answer? making a claim about what will supposedly happen the future? ....let's see...

...IF (a big IF) Fotsis have a great olympic tournament, LIKE SCOLA ALREADY HAD AT 2004 OLYMPICS.....how come will that make me look stupid? How would that turn into false what I posted before? care to ellaborate?

BTW....¿what about my question? "isn't one of the watermarks of talent being able to perform at great level way ahead of the normal age?"...?

If Fotsis was sooooo more talented than Scola, how come he could NOT perform far ahead of what is supposed for his age, when he was junior....AS SCOLA DID by being in the Argentina SENIOR team, by being MVP of Pan American Tournament in Brazil 2000, defeating in the finals an USA team that included Boozer, Zach Randolph, Jason Richardson, amog others? By taking a professional spanish team (Cabitel Gijon) entirely on his back at age 18? among other great displays of him when he was a junior?

What else could Scola have is it wasn't TALENT? Did you notice that, unlike other dominant players in juniors... he wasn't the strongest, the tallest or the most athletic?

Will you answer LakerFan? but answer something worthy please, no more smoke screens...is it possible?
jove9
Starter
And1: 159

Post#56 » by jove9 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:00 am

You know, I don't mind all of this Scola vs. Fotsis talk, but what does it have to do with the topic?
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#57 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:11 am

Antonis Fotsis mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMpqM2KVfw

That's a 6-10 power forward doing all that. I am sorry but yes he is more talented than Scola is.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
jove9
Starter

Post#58 » by jove9 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 am

I'm not really impressed with that video, and this is why:

- If you're 6'10, you BETTER make layups and the basic dunks. Nothing there was flashy; it was all textbook. I'd be more impressed if he jumped over someone (Frederick Weis maybe?) in a game. Ok, it doesn't have to necessarily be Weis; it can be Spud Webb.

- If you're 6'10, you BETTER get a few good blocks on people every now and then. Hell, if I were just 6'1, I'd be averaging like 2 blocks a game at my local rec center. Can you imagine what I'd be doing if I were 6'10? Although I'm not really trying to compare the Euro Leagues to my gym, the point I'm trying to make is that tall guys are supposed to block the shots of scrubs. That's basketball. So what?

Finally,

- That 3pt line isn't much further back than the American college line. I can drain college 3s all night, if you leave me open. If I were 6'10, that distance would become a little closer and it would be easier to get my shot off over people. I'd like to see what would happen if Fotsis, Reggie Miller, and Kenny Smith had a 3 pt shooting contest. Reggie would probably win (again), but at least this time Kenny would have someone else to thoroughly embarrass.

Overall, I'd say that guys like Tim Thomas and Walt Williams are probably more talented than Fotsis, and they are not really that great of NBA players.

Really? This is the guy that the earlier argument was over? I'm disappointed, V-Span.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#59 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:52 pm

jove9 wrote:I'm not really impressed with that video, and this is why:

- If you're 6'10, you BETTER make layups and the basic dunks. Nothing there was flashy; it was all textbook. I'd be more impressed if he jumped over someone (Frederick Weis maybe?) in a game. Ok, it doesn't have to necessarily be Weis; it can be Spud Webb.

- If you're 6'10, you BETTER get a few good blocks on people every now and then. Hell, if I were just 6'1, I'd be averaging like 2 blocks a game at my local rec center. Can you imagine what I'd be doing if I were 6'10? Although I'm not really trying to compare the Euro Leagues to my gym, the point I'm trying to make is that tall guys are supposed to block the shots of scrubs. That's basketball. So what?

Finally,

- That 3pt line isn't much further back than the American college line. I can drain college 3s all night, if you leave me open. If I were 6'10, that distance would become a little closer and it would be easier to get my shot off over people. I'd like to see what would happen if Fotsis, Reggie Miller, and Kenny Smith had a 3 pt shooting contest. Reggie would probably win (again), but at least this time Kenny would have someone else to thoroughly embarrass.

Overall, I'd say that guys like Tim Thomas and Walt Williams are probably more talented than Fotsis, and they are not really that great of NBA players.

Really? This is the guy that the earlier argument was over? I'm disappointed, V-Span.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you are NOT 6-10 and neither is Scola and neither can Scola do what you are just stating here. Fotsis is a lob dunk machine, Scola is a layup machine and even misses many of those. I love Scola, but his greatness is because of his will and his desire, it has nothing to do with ability. Fotsis is by far the more talented PF. It isn't even close.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
jove9
Starter

Post#60 » by jove9 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Well then by both of our logic Tim Thomas and Walt Williams are more skilled than Scola.

Who knew?

(Actually, it makes sense. Thomas and Williams were praised in their early years for their versatility. Scola is known for his fundamentals and hustle.)

Return to Houston Rockets