Coaches

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Coaches 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 7:24 am

We let go of some of the lower assistants but signs are pointing to the main coordinators all keeping their jobs. Is this a cruel joke? How can Crossman not be fired? Or Gunthers terrible wide nine D? Does Staffords regression and at times terrible play calling not give Linehan some heat? And finally Schwartz, who lost control of the team, whose players continue to make mental mistakes and commit dumb penalties, gets a free pass too?

Unreal. I thought we were past this loyalty until the bitter end thing
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Coaches 

Post#2 » by Icness » Thu Jan 3, 2013 3:30 pm

They're not necessarily done making changes yet, but Schwartz, Linehan, and Cunningham are all coming back. Not real happy with that.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#3 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 10:53 pm

Wide 9 is a joke. leaves too many factors that have to fall in to place for it to work and i'm tired of quarterbacks rushing for 100 yards every game because we can't contain him.

how crossman and linehan still have a job is beyond me.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#4 » by Icness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:17 pm

Lions will be coaching one of the teams during Senior Bowl week. Very good opportunity. This is how they found Joique Bell the last time, and where they targeted Bill Bentley from last year.

IMO Linehan was very good as OC, I don't get why people are so down on him. He got CJ the receiving record, Stafford 5000+ yards despite all the injuries to other receivers, molded one of the better OLs in the league, finished top half in rushing YPC, excellent in the red zone. Not his fault Stafford has all those lazy throws, that's the QB coach. Not his fault Leshoure doesn't break tackles and fumbles. Do they throw too much? Yes, but the same fans who bitch about this would bitch that they're not throwing enough if they ran the ball 26 times a game.

I would have replaced Cunningham. I would have fired Crossman after the Tennessee game.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:01 pm

Icness wrote:Lions will be coaching one of the teams during Senior Bowl week. Very good opportunity. This is how they found Joique Bell the last time, and where they targeted Bill Bentley from last year.

IMO Linehan was very good as OC, I don't get why people are so down on him. He got CJ the receiving record, Stafford 5000+ yards despite all the injuries to other receivers, molded one of the better OLs in the league, finished top half in rushing YPC, excellent in the red zone. Not his fault Stafford has all those lazy throws, that's the QB coach. Not his fault Leshoure doesn't break tackles and fumbles. Do they throw too much? Yes, but the same fans who bitch about this would bitch that they're not throwing enough if they ran the ball 26 times a game.

I would have replaced Cunningham. I would have fired Crossman after the Tennessee game.

Well Linehan was the least of my worries, personally. Crossman is a joke (will we ever have a good ST coordinator?) and I'm stunned he made it through the season, let alone appears safe in the offseason. A change of voice and scheme for the D I'm also very much for.

As for Linehan, my problems were a few. First, Stafford definitely regressed. I realize the QB coach needs to be on that, but doesn't any fault lay with the OC? (given that I don't know the ins and outs of coaching, I may be way off here; maybe Linehan has zero to do with this...). The play-calling was really bad at times too, especially early in games. All those passing yards and receiving yards often piled up in blowouts, when our offense was completely inept early and the reigns finally came off. Like I said, not the top of my worry list
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#6 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:59 pm

Our offense was a joke at times, it took us til 3rd quarter to get a first down in one game. Yes receivers dropped balls, but 3 quarters!? Offense play calling in the red zone was questionable, Leshoure has allowed us to score when on the 1, but i don't think we would have been as good without our RBs.

i thought linehan did a decent job all year, i just hate his wide 9 technique
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#7 » by Icness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Secondary Coach/3rd down coordinator Tim Walton has been hired by the Rams as their new defensive coordinator. That leaves an opening on the Lions staff.

Marcus Robertson was his main underling as a secondary assistant and his primary job was working with the young corners last year. He will probably move up and the team will hire someone to fill that spot.

I like Walton, good guy and a good coach. Not a great coach, but the injuries really hampered him. He fits well with Jeff Fisher.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#8 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 am

read on DFP that we have a new calculation/process/system for determining BPA and scouting. i hope its not one of those systems where you use a 2nd round pick on a kicker.

Return to Detroit Lions