2) If we DON'T re-sign him, Willie Young might be able to fill his role
3) If we DO re-sign him, we could possibly look to cut KVB to save money
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Do we re-sign Avril? 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 9, 2012 3:49 am

He was our best D-linemen this year. Unless he wants some extortionate price we should absolutely resign him
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#3 » by Lionlifer » Mon Jan 9, 2012 1:53 pm

KVB isn't getting any younger, and Avril was a stud this past year. I think we bring him back unless he suddenly thinks he should be paid like the second coming of Peppers.

I'd be more tempted to use Willie to try and reduce KVB's workload, but I don't think he is ready for prime time just yet.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by TSE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 am

Well I say no because it's a waste of money if we aren't going to take this business seriously. It's better to trade him for draft picks (if we can sign and trade or franchise and trade, and still slightly better to not re-sign to just save the money if we can't acquire salvage value) for the future rather than to continue to let him depreciate away in exchange for no qualified Super Bowl threat or threat to be the most dominant team in the NFL.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#5 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm leaning toward yes and think KVB and Corey Williams might be trade/cut bait.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#6 » by Icness » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:01 am

Schwartz will not cut KVB, I really don't see that.

I echo what ajax said. Avril was the best player on defense this year. He has more forced fumbles than any DE the last three years. I wouldn't hesitate to franchise tag him.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#7 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:26 am

Icness wrote:Schwartz will not cut KVB, I really don't see that.

Re-structure??
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Icness wrote:I echo what ajax said. Avril was the best player on defense this year. He has more forced fumbles than any DE the last three years. I wouldn't hesitate to franchise tag him.

Welp....

Defensive end Cliff Avril said he will contemplate holding out from the Detroit Lions' offseason program and training camp if the team uses its franchise tag on him rather than negotiate a long-term deal.

"I don't want to be franchised," Avril told the newspaper. "That's basically what I got last year. The (restricted free-agent) tender was basically the same thing. I just want security and longevity."

General manager Martin Mayhew has said publicly he doesn't plan to use the franchise tag but the Free Press reported Friday, citing unnamed sources, that the Lions are likely to apply their franchise tender to Avril if they can't agree to a long-term deal.

Could be fun

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75918 ... ns-tag-him
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#9 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 am

i say no and let Willie Young have a shot at it.

Use the money to strengthen our secondary or other areas of needs. If he comes reasonable i'd be down, but i highly doubt that. also we have to sign CJ next year so thats something to consider.

i don't think schwartz will cut KVB.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#10 » by Icness » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Every player bitches about getting tagged and I've never understood why. You get a check for the entire value of the contract, in his case $10.6M. And you get to sign another deal the next year. Unless you get hurt or completely tank, the next check is going to get you at least that much up front and more than that guaranteed.

Say he plays under the tag in 2012. He collected his $10.6M. He gets 52 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an INT. Now he's a complete free agent because the Lions cannot tag him again. Those numbers with his proven production level are going to get him at least 3yr/$30M with $8M upfront and $12M guaranteed. He can probably get that sort of deal this year, but then his next contract comes and he's over 30 and has more wear/tear and it won't be as good as the franchise tag deal he gets this year. These guys never see that they're getting their next contract in a year instead of 3-4 years and that it wouldn't come close to what they're going to get the following year.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 231

Post#11 » by Sheeeeed » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Icness wrote:Every player bitches about getting tagged and I've never understood why. You get a check for the entire value of the contract, in his case $10.6M. And you get to sign another deal the next year. Unless you get hurt or completely tank, the next check is going to get you at least that much up front and more than that guaranteed.

Say he plays under the tag in 2012. He collected his $10.6M. He gets 52 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an INT. Now he's a complete free agent because the Lions cannot tag him again. Those numbers with his proven production level are going to get him at least 3yr/$30M with $8M upfront and $12M guaranteed. He can probably get that sort of deal this year, but then his next contract comes and he's over 30 and has more wear/tear and it won't be as good as the franchise tag deal he gets this year. These guys never see that they're getting their next contract in a year instead of 3-4 years and that it wouldn't come close to what they're going to get the following year.

Ah this exactly the reason why players bitch about being tagged. Lets say Avril plays under the tag, and he blows out his knee. He could potentially lose millions.

I think the end game here is he gets franchised and traded to someone willing to pay him.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#12 » by Icness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Ah this exactly the reason why players bitch about being tagged. Lets say Avril plays under the tag, and he blows out his knee. He could potentially lose millions.

Very true, that's a legit issue. Insurance only covers so much and it only pays if it's career-ending.
Unclecreepy
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Unclecreepy » Fri Mar 2, 2012 4:31 pm

ajaX82 wrote:He was our best D-linemen this year. Unless he wants some extortionate price we should absolutely resign him

I agree with Ajax82.
I can see why he doesn't want the franchise tag also.
Give him a fair contract, I don't think I would want to go over 3 years though.
What do you guys think Avril is looking for 4yr 40- 45 million?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#14 » by Icness » Mon Mar 5, 2012 1:34 pm

Sounds like they are close to a deal. 4PM today is the franchise tag deadline.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#15 » by Icness » Mon Mar 5, 2012 5:46 pm

Tagged. Makes signing Tulloch all the more difficult but not impossible.

Return to Detroit Lions