ImageImageImageImage

53 Keepers?

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: 53 Keepers? 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 pm

^interesting that NOL is part of the discussion. i would love melvin Ingram or Thomas. San Fran....i would hope its jacobs and not Gore being that he's always injured. NE and Washington i'm drawing a blank.

ICE are we dangling Avril? or what are we making available to trade?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#22 » by Icness » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:^interesting that NOL is part of the discussion. i would love melvin Ingram or Thomas. San Fran....i would hope its jacobs and not Gore being that he's always injured. NE and Washington i'm drawing a blank.

ICE are we dangling Avril? or what are we making available to trade?

Avril cannot be dealt. Once he signed his franchise tender he is unable to be traded, part of the CBA. Lions are looking at parting with a pick, but I have heard Lawrence Jackson and Andre Fluellen mentioned.

You're looking too high on depth charts for the RBs. Think Anthony Dixon or Roy Helu or Shane Vereen or Travaris Cadet, not a starting RB. More likely the Lions wait for someone to get cut, like Cadet or Dixon, and hope he falls in waivers.

Ryan Grant remains a possibility but only after Week One and only if he lowers his contract demands. What he's asking for rules out the Lions because it would put them over the cap. After Week One is done the contracts are totally non-guaranteed so that makes signing a veteran more palatable.

BTW I have Logan making the team while Leshoure is suspended, and I suspect he'll stick as someone is bound to get hurt for IR the first two weeks. I still wish the team would just let Edwards handle the return duties but I don't believe they will.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#23 » by TSE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Icness wrote:
Avril cannot be dealt. Once he signed his franchise tender he is unable to be traded, part of the CBA. Lions are looking at parting with a pick, but I have heard Lawrence Jackson and Andre Fluellen mentioned.

Do you know where we could go to look up those details or any of the CBA rules? Is this a new rule and how exactly does it work? I was reading this article here about Wes Welker and they make it sound like he can be traded, but that it's the new team's risk to do so since they wouldn't be able to give him a new contract until after the season...

http://www.telegram.com/article/2012082 ... /-1/NEWS04
see paragraph "There was speculation over the weekend..."
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#24 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 pm

First cuts today is:
The Lions have informed second-year punter Ryan Donahue of his release today.
They’ve also notified undrafted rookie offensive lineman Pat Boyle of his release.
TSE
Banned User

Post#25 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Yay I got that one right by picking Graham despite my worries that he would lose the job on account of money instead of performance. That's a feel-good move because he earned the job and Donahue wasn't showing much promise with that very weak leg and still not consistent. Graham was also often seen on the sidelines pumping guys up and helping to stir some fun, so he probably adds good veteran leadership and teammate skills in addition to a stronger leg with more punting tools in his arsenal. He still has too weak of a leg himself and next year we need to find the next elite punter of the future and get that position taken care of for a long time.
TSE
Banned User

Post#26 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 pm

Alphonso got cut. I think he has more picks over the last 2 seasons than anybody else cut so far or that probably will get cut today.

Everybody gets burned and gives up a certain amount of plays, but the turnovers are worth gold and they make up for some of that. He also has a lot of chance to improve his coverage and protection and looked like he was making progress here and there and just needed some more guidance and coaching. They needed to invest MORE time and effort into him, not less, this was a mistake.

He will give good value to the team that values him and shows him that and works hard to help him get better. The guy that gets into his head the right way is going to be a very satisfied coach.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#27 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 pm

TSE wrote:Alphonso got cut. I think he has more picks over the last 2 seasons than anybody else cut so far or that probably will get cut today.

Everybody gets burned and gives up a certain amount of plays, but the turnovers are worth gold and they make up for some of that. He also has a lot of chance to improve his coverage and protection and looked like he was making progress here and there and just needed some more guidance and coaching. They needed to invest MORE time and effort into him, not less, this was a mistake.

He will give good value to the team that values him and shows him that and works hard to help him get better. The guy that gets into his head the right way is going to be a very satisfied coach.

Also cut : Ross Weaver (DB - DET), Ryan Donahue (P - DET), Alex Gottlieb (TE - DET), Carmen Messina (LB - DET), Tracy Robertson (DT - DET), Pat Boyle (G - DET), Austin Wells (TE - DET), Wallace Miles (WR - DET), Detroit Lion

I think they keeped green over smith , smith has more experience and green is too green.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#28 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:
TSE wrote:Alphonso got cut. I think he has more picks over the last 2 seasons than anybody else cut so far or that probably will get cut today.

Tim Twentyman of the Lions official website reports that G Pat Boyle, P Ryan Donahue, DE Ugo Chinasa, TE Alex Gottlieb, WR Nate Hughes, DE Edmon McClam, LB Carmen Messina, WR Wallace Miles, DT Tracy Robertson, CB Ross Weaver and TE Austin Wells have all been told they will be released.

I think they choose green over smith , smith has more experience and green is too green.

Carmen Messina will make the practice squad
TSE
Banned User

Post#29 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Green is no lock yet, he could still go to PS and I think Justin Miller might be getting Alphonso's spot.

I wonder if Carmen Messina would have made it if he ran that INT back for a TD. Maybe not, but I know for sure that he didn't make the team by taking a dive on the field. I'm very frustrated right now by the lack of trades and not sure what our plan is from here. Bill Ford gave an interview about how confident he is in winning the Super Bowl, but how does he expect to do so if he isn't playing this game aggressively? There's 31 other hungry teams in the field and a SB championship isn't going to fall into our laps just because we have confidence and want it. Every franchise already does that.

We need to be different, and better, or we need not to expect to win.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#30 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm

TSE ...i was always a fan of Alphonso smith but i have to say for some reason he was slow this preseason and green was really fast so i think they choose speed over experience .If it was the right choice or not we will not know till the season begins.They should have traded smith

Justin miller will not make the cut but i could be wrong.
TSE
Banned User

Post#31 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:TSE ...i was always a fan of Alphonso smith but i have to say for some reason he was slow this preseason and green was really fast so i think they choose speed over experience .If it was the right choice or not we will not know till the season begins.

Justin miller will not make the cut but i could be wrong.

Well I hope Lacey doesn't make it. He wasn't good enough for the Colts, and now the Colts are desperate for CB that they will likely claim Alphonso! So for them they will upgrade from Lacey to Alphonso, and for us I guess Mayhew would see Lacey as the upgrade to Alphonso. I don't know about Alphonso's speed I certainly wouldn't measure his speed by appearances, that's just not a way to be certain. If he's slow he's slow, but that can be measured for sure with a 40 yard dash test rather than the eyeball test on the field. But he should be fast enough and didn't seem to have any speed issues that I noticed.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#32 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm

5:05 p.m. -- The Eagles have released S Oshiomogho Atogwe. Lions were very interested in him during free agency.

4:15 p.m. -- Lions are down to six cornerbacks. The big question remaining is what will they do with Jonte Green?
TSE
Banned User

Post#33 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 pm

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/8/31 ... e-fluellen

7 more cuts and we are down to 56 now...
WR Lance Long
WR Maurice Stovall
OG Rodney Austin
DE Everette Brown
DT Andre Fluellen
CB Justin Miller
S Reshard Langford

I'm mildly surprised about all of these cuts except for Austin and Stovall.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#34 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:26 pm

TSE wrote:http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/8/31/3283722/lions-roster-cuts-2012-everette-brown-maurice-stovall-andre-fluellen

7 more cuts and we are down to 56 now...
WR Lance Long
WR Maurice Stovall
OG Rodney Austin
DE Everette Brown
DT Andre Fluellen
CB Justin Miller
S Reshard Langford

I'm mildly surprised about all of these cuts except for Austin and Stovall.

WR Lance Long =practice squad
DE Everette Brown=practice squad
S Reshard Langford =practice squad

i was right about CB Justin Miller too little too late
TSE
Banned User

Post#35 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah you were right about Miller, and I think we are going to lock down the Practice Squad Super Bowl. ;)
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#36 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:49 pm

TSE wrote:Yeah you were right about Miller, and I think we are going to lock down the Practice Squad Super Bowl. ;)

LOL ,.. we will have a very good P.S.

But the one person i am looking for what they are going to do with is kellen moore .i think if they can''t find a better Q.B . on the waiver wire than they may keep him.I am wishing they find a better Q.B

6:41 p.m. -- A couple of noteworthy players still hanging in there are QB Kellen Moore, WR Kassim Osgood and CB Jonte Green.
TSE
Banned User

Post#37 » by TSE » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:56 pm

There's already QBs available that I like more. I like Vince Young, and maybe Case Keenum but not really following him. Matt Blanchard was interesting from a lesser known school that the Bears cut, and there will probably be a few more.

I have very little interest in keeping Kellen Moore for talent if we can't keep guys like Alphonso and Everette. How the heck are we going to keep shrimpy noodle arm over those guys? c'mon get real Detroit

For the final 3 cuts I think Gerberry or Gandy could be pitted against each other, then I will pick Kellen Moore, and I guess Ronnie Sneed. Sneed never even suited up that I can remember. I'll be back in an hour or so I'm going to the gym to let off some steam and throw some weight around that would make Kellen Moore jealous. ;)
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#38 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 pm

6:59 p.m. -- Lions have released Dan Gerberry. not suprised

7:44 p.m. -- Lions are reporting WR Patrick Edwards was released. Makes sense. He is a good practice squad candidate.

7:55 p.m. -- Broncos have released CB Drayton Florence. Might worth some investigation by Martin Mayhew.

7:47 p.m. -- And that means Lions QB Kellen Moore makes this year's team. Let the debate continue
TSE
Banned User

Post#39 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 12:17 am

By my count that still gives us 54 players. Unless Ronnie Sneed is not really on the team despite having been listed on the roster for months.

EDIT: Also for a while we had Reshard Langford listed as from "Vanderbuilt" and I see they finally did get the spelling correct by dropping the 'u'. Good grief we have never made it through one season listing our roster correctly and spelling everything right. I just looked up and saw Sneed was released weeks ago. Why was I wasting my time to learn about him during some of the past weeks, I looked up film and stats of his because I thought he was on the team.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#40 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 12:19 am

[quote="TSE"]By my count that still gives us 54 players. Unless Ronnie Sneed is not really on the team despite having been listed on the roster for months.

Ronnie sneed, waived injured 3 weeks ago

Return to Detroit Lions