Re: Lions at 5....Draft Night Thread! 

Post#81 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Lions (Compensatory Selection) Taylor, Devin DE 6'7" 266 South Carolina
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#82 » by Piston Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm

DE Devin Taylor in the 4th might be our worst pick of the draft. Big-time reach IMO.

Then we trade pick #137 in the 5th for Seattle's super-late 5th rounder (#165) and super-late 6th rounder (#199)??? Moving down 28 spots is only worth a super-late 6th rounder??? GTFO!
ADflight1
Pro Prospect
And1: 105

Post#83 » by ADflight1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 pm

We got some freakish size on the line now
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#84 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:23 pm

lions are not going to win many games unless you get another receiver that can help johnson out.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#85 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 pm

What !!!!! The F........... Lions (From Ravens through Seahawks) Martin, Sam P -- -- Appalachian St.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#86 » by Piston Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:32 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:What !!!!! The F........... Lions (From Ravens through Seahawks) Martin, Sam P -- -- Appalachian St.

Quality 5th round talent there....I mean because we have no other holes on the roster, right???
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#87 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:35 pm

1 hole is at WR

Ummm..in reality, punter has been the BIGGEST need of the Lions for YEARS now. Feild changers...way way more important than alot think. Now you dont go out and spend a high round draft pick on one...but is a HUGE need......we need a freaking good punter.

Punter is a very needed position. We literally could have won 4 more games with a really good punter last season alone. Good field position and nailing the other team inside the 20 is more important than you can even imagine.

I imagine he's got some decent speed as a kicker if he's from Appalachian State. Might be good at tackling/catching ball carriers on the return. Give the kid a shot.

I think tackling is the skill that'll be the most missed without Hanson. He was great with his leg, he saved a lot of touchdowns. I'm not sure if a record has been kept about kickers tackling vs whiffing percentage, but Hanson would rank right up at the top.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#88 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:47 pm

YYYYes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
FFFFFFFFINALLY........................................................

Lions Fuller, Corey WR 6'2" 204 Virginia Tech 56.0

He played in all 13 games, and logged eight starts. He caught 43 passes for 815 yards and six touchdowns.
Stays light on his feet and is at his best over the middle when he can catch the ball in stride and use his foot quickness after the catch. Improved tracking and finishing ability over the season. Extends his routes and works hard to get open and help his quarterback. His best football is ahead of him.

Fuller ran the short shuttle in 4.45 seconds and did the three-cone drill in 7.17 seconds. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine. Fuller also had a good positional workout. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Fuller's combination of deep speed and over-the-shoulder ball tracking is almost ideal. He gracefully follows the ball in flight and confidently brings it in without hesitation. He will win balls that he has to compete for in traffic, and Fuller is excellent when it comes time to adjust to the poorly thrown ball.

Once Fuller creates separation downfield, he has the speed to maintain it, and he is good at selling the double move to pull away from coverage.

Height: 6' - 2"
Weight: 204 lbs
Arm Length: 33 1/4"
Hand Size: 9 1/2"

Prospect Ranking Full Prospect Rankings
Overall Position Projected Rnd
172 ......... 21............ 5-6
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#89 » by ajaX82 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 am

Piston Pete wrote:DE Devin Taylor in the 4th might be our worst pick of the draft. Big-time reach IMO.

Then we trade pick #137 in the 5th for Seattle's super-late 5th rounder (#165) and super-late 6th rounder (#199)??? Moving down 28 spots is only worth a super-late 6th rounder??? GTFO!

Saturday was pretty shaky alrogether. The Punter was a laughable pick and it looks like we reached for some guys.

Draftscouts write-up on the Sam Martin choice is pretty funny (earning a D grade):

Any time you have the chance to grab the draft's 6th-rated punter in the 5th round, you'd be a fool not to pounce on it. Martin will at least get plenty of chances to hone his craft if Detroit doesn't upgrade its offensive tackle situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... ft-round-5
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#90 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:43 am

2013 Detroit Lions UDFA Sigings so far.....per nepatriotsdraft.com.
Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA.
Austin Holtz, OT, Ball State.
Cody Wilson, WR, Central Michigan.
Steven Miller, RB, Appalachian State.
Michael Brooks, DL, East Carolina.
Skyler Allen, C, Ohio.
Alex Carder, QB, Western Michigan.
LaAdrian Waddle, OT, Texas Tech.
Jon Morgan, LB, Albany.
Martavius Neloms, CB, Kentucky.
OldNavy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#91 » by OldNavy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:23 pm

I like Michael Williams TE and Warford to help improve our running game. I liked all the picks except Anzah. Waddle OT looks like he might make the practice squad.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#92 » by ajaX82 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 pm

^ I like the Williams pick too..it's like having an extra tackle in the game. Perfect third TE and compliments what we have already.

The theme of this year was definitely potential and you can tell the team really took that to heart. I don't know much about the dude we brought in (Xanders I think?) but I feel like this draft has his marks on it. Slay, Taylor and Fuller have a long way to go, and very high upsides, and that doesn't even touch on Ansah.

Don't love the third day, and the injury trouble with Slay already has me concerned, but Ansah and Warmack are fabulous in my book.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#93 » by Piston Pete » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Getting Fauria as an UFA will be a big bonus. I could see him possibly being our best pickup after the 3rd round.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#94 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Did slay run that 40 time with a torn meniscus?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#95 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Per MLive, we apprantley were going to draft denard , however Jacksonville got there first. I think Reddick was plan b. Drew Sharp of the DFP even wrote a article about how we should have done more(trade up) to get him. Personally i really don't think its going to make a difference. Denard is still really raw, and its seems we have multiple options for returners. i'll be very suprised if Denard this season is a net positive.

it also looks like we got average of a B draft grade from all these experts and 1 D. i mostly agree with this grade, however next year this grade could either sky rocket to an "A" if ziggy, Slay, Warford produce and touch their upside, or fall to a D if not F, if none make a impact this coming season or struggle staying on the field.

i know its hard to like the selection of the punter in the 5th round considering the need for WR. HOWEVER, it was a late 5th round selection and like Schwartz said, normally the 6th round is where punters go. We knew going in that we needed a punter and with the selection of Martin, we at least got one of the better punters in the draft and a player that's going to make a immediate impact on a ST's that has struggled. We had a need and we addressed it.

Additionally when you look at the WR we got, he seems to have a ton of upside, has the vertical speed we need to compliment CJ and we have a 100 million dollar QB throwing the ball, i would think that we could survive even if he's not ready. i don't think if we went after a WR in the 5th, that whom ever we went after would be that much better. Also keep in mind that Reddick has the ability to play in the slot, and has at ND
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#96 » by Piston Pete » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:16 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Did slay run that 40 time with a torn meniscus?

He apparently ran the 40 and then felt discomfort afterwards - the torn meniscus.

Blkbrd671 wrote:Additionally when you look at the WR we got, he seems to have a ton of upside, has the vertical speed we need to compliment CJ and we have a 100 million dollar QB throwing the ball, i would think that we could survive even if he's not ready. i don't think if we went after a WR in the 5th, that whom ever we went after would be that much better. Also keep in mind that Reddick has the ability to play in the slot, and has at ND

Slot wasn't our issue. We already had Burleson and Broyles capable of playing out of the slot. We needed big, fast WRs we could put opposite CJ to keep defenses honest. Maybe Fuller is that...we'll find out.

Very surprised we didn't take Da'Rick Rogers with one of our four 6th/7th rounders.

I'm not disappointed we didn't trade up for Denard. Instead, I wish we traded up for DE Gholston in the 4th. I would very much rather have him than Taylor.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#97 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 am

Piston Pete wrote:
He apparently ran the 40 and then felt discomfort afterwards - the torn meniscus.

Not too worried about it, Torn meniscus isn't that big of deal. however i think he should go through surgery, repair and then play, rather than act like its not going to effect him. This is something the coaches should decide.

Slot wasn't our issue. We already had Burleson and Broyles capable of playing out of the slot. We needed big, fast WRs we could put opposite CJ to keep defenses honest. Maybe Fuller is that...we'll find out.

Very surprised we didn't take Da'Rick Rogers with one of our four 6th/7th rounders.

I'm not disappointed we didn't trade up for Denard. Instead, I wish we traded up for DE Gholston in the 4th. I would very much rather have him than Taylor.

Burleson is 60 years old coming off a Torn ACL. and Broyles now has 2 bad knees. While i get your point, i'm just saying, its not like those positions are set. Reddick was a nice pick up as he provides depth behind bush and has quite a bit of utility.

i was also hoping we land gholston but don't sell Taylor short. He's every bit the player gholston is minus the hype/exposure and i believe a better athlete.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#98 » by Piston Pete » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:i was also hoping we land gholston but don't sell Taylor short. He's every bit the player gholston is minus the hype/exposure and i believe a better athlete.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong - for the Lions sake.

I think Taylor looks stiff/mechanical/uncoordinated in his movements. Its hard to describe, but I saw Gholston as the much better athlete and the bigger difference-maker on the field.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#99 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 am

Piston Pete wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:i was also hoping we land gholston but don't sell Taylor short. He's every bit the player gholston is minus the hype/exposure and i believe a better athlete.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong - for the Lions sake.

I think Taylor looks stiff/mechanical/uncoordinated in his movements. Its hard to describe, but I saw Gholston as the much better athlete and the bigger difference-maker on the field.

He's a triple jump athlete at that size, which to me is pretty damn amazing. i think that's were he does get the stiff/mechanical movement, however at the next level, these are all things that can be fixed. i think Gholston using the eye test looks like a much better athlete, but Taylor has just as much upside. for our sake i hope im right too
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#100 » by Piston Pete » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

ICENESS - What's your take on our draft haul?

Return to Detroit Lions