Lions at Browns, Preseason Gm 2

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Lions at Browns, Preseason Gm 2 

Post#1 » by Icness » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Thursday 7:30 coverage begins

Starters are supposed to play into the second quarter.

Because these teams meet in the regular season, don't expect anything creative. That's actually a great way to evaluate talent because it will all be about winning individual battles.

Browns have very good OL and DL, should provide a good measuring stick for our lines.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Lions at Browns, Preseason Gm 2 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Ansah vs. Thomas should be interesting. If Ziggy can get anything at all on big Joe it would be amazing.

Other things I will be watching and hoping for: Reiff to have a strong game, Stafford looking more accurate, somebody in the secondary to step up, a WR to separate themselves (come on Durham), Rugland to dominate and Akers to falter
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#3 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 am

These lions looks exactly like last years lions

Stafford is a check down king. Why can weeden tear us up and our high priced QB can't?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 am

Alright a field goal after almost 2 halfs. anyone want to put money down that shaun hill scores at least once on his 1st 2 drives
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 am

Pettigrew drop, penalties, defense getting gashed, uncreative offense....yup. Not much has changed
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 am

I wasn't watching super intently and did not see every play but yikes. It's only preseason, but seriously yikes. I know we aren't showing anything close to the whole playbook but good grief yikes.

So many missed tackles. Secondary torched. The dumb personal fouls and mental lapses that have been a Swartz staple. The offense doing nothing at all. No run game. It all seems very status quo for this team the last few years and that is scary.

Again, I get that it is preseason. But first string v first string was heavily against us. I was hoping to see improvement in players as well as coaches. But at least through two weeks that appears to very much be not the case. Not to read too much or be Debbie downer but this looks like a 6-10 team to me
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#7 » by Piston Pete » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:36 am

Preseason or not, that was tough to watch. No CJ means we throw 20 passes to the RBs?

We couldn't open up running lanes for anyone all night.

The D was porous, and the special teams looked slow. Overall team grade outside of Suh and Fairley was just about a D-.

I honestly can't come away with any other positives.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#8 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:40 am

ajaX82 wrote:I wasn't watching super intently and did not see every play but yikes. It's only preseason, but seriously yikes. I know we aren't showing anything close to the whole playbook but good grief yikes.

So many missed tackles. Secondary torched. The dumb personal fouls and mental lapses that have been a Swartz staple. The offense doing nothing at all. No run game. It all seems very status quo for this team the last few years and that is scary.

Again, I get that it is preseason. But first string v first string was heavily against us. I was hoping to see improvement in players as well as coaches. But at least through two weeks that appears to very much be not the case. Not to read too much or be Debbie downer but this looks like a 6-10 team to me

Especially after all that talk about how Schwartz has never had the personnel he wanted that makes his system work until this year. Our offensive scheme was horrible. Stafford apparently can't make any other throw than a check down, and back 7 was embarrassing. SUH did get a monster hit though that was nice
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#9 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:41 am

Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#10 » by Icness » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:34 am

it was ugly
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/0 ... wns-notes/

I'm watching it again with a focus on the OL. I mentioned it in the linked piece but I really believe Dylan Gandy should be the starting center. A lot more running room inside with him in and Raiola on the pine. Not gonna happen with Schwartz but could be something long-term.

As far as the lack of offense, I'm not all that concerned. No Calvin Johnson pushed everyone up a spot on the depth chart and really took away options. Burleson looked like he was playing to not get hurt and I'm okay with that. Scheffler only played like 4 snaps and Michael Williams played a lot more. Williams had a rough night and isn't close to the weapon that Scheffler is. I thought Stafford looked solid other than the near-pick on the screen, a great play by Paul Kruger.

The defense concerns me a lot more because they were not all that vanilla. Safety opposite Quin and both outside backer spots are problems, and there is no depth at all at either spot.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ajaX82 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 am

Icness wrote:it was ugly
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/0 ... wns-notes/

I'm watching it again with a focus on the OL. I mentioned it in the linked piece but I really believe Dylan Gandy should be the starting center. A lot more running room inside with him in and Raiola on the pine. Not gonna happen with Schwartz but could be something long-term.

As far as the lack of offense, I'm not all that concerned. No Calvin Johnson pushed everyone up a spot on the depth chart and really took away options. Burleson looked like he was playing to not get hurt and I'm okay with that. Scheffler only played like 4 snaps and Michael Williams played a lot more. Williams had a rough night and isn't close to the weapon that Scheffler is. I thought Stafford looked solid other than the near-pick on the screen, a great play by Paul Kruger.

The defense concerns me a lot more because they were not all that vanilla. Safety opposite Quin and both outside backer spots are problems, and there is no depth at all at either spot.

That second OLB spot has been a disaster. Palmer is best as a special teamer and Whitehead isn't ready yet. I'd rather have Whitehead starting at this point truthfully because of the upside but either one is probably the weak link on the D as a whole
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ajaX82 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 am

And Ice how concerned are you with Reiff? Couple of rough games now
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#13 » by Piston Pete » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:37 am

What's the news on Mathis? Are we going to sign him, or did he have a bad workout??

We need to search the waivers before the regular season and hope some quality LB's get released. We are super thin there. Maybe S as well. Maybe WR as well. Ugh
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#14 » by Icness » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 am

Mathis signed, as was Justin Bannan. Both those guys are #4 on the depth chart at their spots. Rocky McIntosh could wind up starting if his legs are good. His signing means the end for either Ronnell or Travis Lewis, who was awful vs. CLE.

I broke down the OL at DLD and it wasn't that bad. Reid wasn't good but Jabaal Sheard is a real talent, sort of a lither Cliff Avril. Leroy Harris and Jason Fox were both very good.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#15 » by Piston Pete » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 am

Icness wrote:Mathis signed, as was Justin Bannan. Both those guys are #4 on the depth chart at their spots. Rocky McIntosh could wind up starting if his legs are good. His signing means the end for either Ronnell or Travis Lewis, who was awful vs. CLE.

I broke down the OL at DLD and it wasn't that bad. Reid wasn't good but Jabaal Sheard is a real talent, sort of a lither Cliff Avril. Leroy Harris and Jason Fox were both very good.

link?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#16 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:41 am

Icness wrote:Mathis signed, as was Justin Bannan. Both those guys are #4 on the depth chart at their spots. Rocky McIntosh could wind up starting if his legs are good. His signing means the end for either Ronnell or Travis Lewis, who was awful vs. CLE.

i might also add that Moore has the iq of a quarter back just not the arm. i'm hoping reddick and edwards both stay
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#17 » by Piston Pete » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Why are we not seeing more of Thaddeous Lewis?

I think he's better than Moore -- but we're not playing him. Seems like we've already decided to let him walk and instead, we're trying to gauge whether or not Moore's worth keeping too.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#18 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 am

Piston Pete wrote:Why are we not seeing more of Thaddeous Lewis?

I think he's better than Moore -- but we're not playing him. Seems like we've already decided to let him walk and instead, we're trying to gauge whether or not Moore's worth keeping too.

Maybe its because its moore's to lose. You could be bring a 3rd string QB off the street, i think they want to see if Moore has anything that would make them pick him over a street guy.

Return to Detroit Lions