Draft Chat 2014

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Draft Chat 2014 

Post#41 » by ajaX82 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Pettidrop just re-upped for 4 years, $16 million....so take Ebron out of the equation:

#10) CB Gilbert or WR Evans

Both are possible, as is Dennard, whom I prefer to Gilbert personally. I still don't want CB myself.

I also think LB is still in play, as it should be. The biggest hole on the defense may be that third backer. We were just scouting Barr I know. Mosley will be there...but is he best for ILB in a 3-4? Is Barr an OLB in a 3-4?

Draft is totally up in the air now. Definitely some holes still, but none that make a ton of sense at 10.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#42 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:36 am

ajaX82 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Pettidrop just re-upped for 4 years, $16 million....so take Ebron out of the equation:

Both are possible, as is Dennard, whom I prefer to Gilbert personally. I still don't want CB myself.

I also think LB is still in play, as it should be. The biggest hole on the defense may be that third backer. We were just scouting Barr I know. Mosley will be there...but is he best for ILB in a 3-4? Is Barr an OLB in a 3-4?

Draft is totally up in the air now. Definitely some holes still, but none that make a ton of sense at 10.

I think dennard is the better pick. Gilbert has more upside, but dennard is the better player. he doesn't measure well but when you watch film, he's a tough corner. i wouldn't mind LB if its Mack, Barr measurements are ridic, but i'd rather get the best CB in the draft than the 2nd LB, especially considering need. Evans would be a solid pick as well.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#43 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:36 am

LoboGuerrero wrote:I could see us doing something like this:

(I'm assuming Ihedigbo is signed)

1.) One of: WR Evans/TE Ebron/OLB Barr

Evans i think is the only one in the equation. Barr would be interesting choice
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#44 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:15 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

Iceness (Jeff) tweeted that we're likely looking at Evans, Barr, or Lewan....

and added we won't take a CB @ 10
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#45 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

Piston Pete wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

since when have any reports this early been accurate. i don't think lewan is in the equation, our line was good last year, and we need to address other areas, especially if guys like evans and Barr are on the board. i like the idea of a CB if we trade back.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#46 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm

What-if scenario: Would you trade Suh to the Raiders (they have cap space enough to take on his HUGE salary) for their #5 overall pick?
LoboGuerrero
Pro Prospect
And1: 54

Post#47 » by LoboGuerrero » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Yeah, he's been saying that for a while now and hasn't changed his stance. (about the Lions not looking at CB at 10)
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#48 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Piston Pete wrote:What-if scenario: Would you trade Suh to the Raiders (they have cap space enough to take on his HUGE salary) for their #5 overall pick?

i believe if we trade suh, we still have to pay him 19million. i would though if we didn't
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#49 » by Piston Pete » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:What-if scenario: Would you trade Suh to the Raiders (they have cap space enough to take on his HUGE salary) for their #5 overall pick?

i believe if we trade suh, we still have to pay him 19million. i would though if we didn't

True....but we'd be free and clear of his HUGE contract after next season and have a TON of cap space to fill holes with next offseason if we bit the bullet this year and traded him.

Not saying we SHOULD, but saying I would get why we should at least be considering such a move.
LoboGuerrero
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by LoboGuerrero » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Hill has reportedly agreed to a deal with the Rams, so it seems we will be in the market for a QB.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#51 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:17 pm

LoboGuerrero wrote:Hill has reportedly agreed to a deal with the Rams, so it seems we will be in the market for a QB.

we got 3 4th round picks we can't trade. i think we use 1 on a QB. Not much out there. i wouldn't mind sanchez if he's cheap, but hes not necessarily exuding confidence he can step in at moments notice
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#52 » by Piston Pete » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Looking like the Lions will do this in the draft:

1) WR Evans (TA&M)
2) *BPA no matter the position
3) WR Bryant (Clemson)
4a) *BPA*
4b) *BPA*
4c) QB Thomas (VT)

WR after the draft = CJ, Tate. Evans, Bryant, Durham, Broyles, Fuller, Ogletree, Ross. Two of Broyles/Ogletree/Ross to be cut, and Fuller back onto PS.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#53 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Rams are willing to trade down, i'd give up our 1st, 2nd and 4th pick, for watkins, our offense would be unbelievable
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#54 » by ajaX82 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Rams are willing to trade down, i'd give up our 1st, 2nd and 4th pick, for watkins, our offense would be unbelievable

I do think we should consider moving one way or another, as 10 is just a bad spot for us at this point. I'd kinda prefer to move down and pick up an extra pick or two, draft someone like Mosley or a WR and have some flexibility from there.

If we did move up, I would almost consider Mack over Watkins. Mack would bring the D together nicely
LoboGuerrero
Pro Prospect

Post#55 » by LoboGuerrero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:48 am

Piston Pete wrote:Looking like the Lions will do this in the draft:

1) WR Evans (TA&M)
3) WR Bryant (Clemson)
4a) *BPA*
4b) *BPA*
4c) QB Thomas (VT)

WR after the draft = CJ, Tate. Evans, Bryant, Durham, Broyles, Fuller, Ogletree, Ross. Two of Broyles/Ogletree/Ross to be cut, and Fuller back onto PS.

I think Evans would be there pick if he's there and we stay at 10. But I'm not sure he'll still be on the board at 10.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#56 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:33 am

ajaX82 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Rams are willing to trade down, i'd give up our 1st, 2nd and 4th pick, for watkins, our offense would be unbelievable

I do think we should consider moving one way or another, as 10 is just a bad spot for us at this point. I'd kinda prefer to move down and pick up an extra pick or two, draft someone like Mosley or a WR and have some flexibility from there.

If we did move up, I would almost consider Mack over Watkins. Mack would bring the D together nicely

Agreed, unless someone falls to #10 because teams go QB crazy, i don't like our options at 10. If we trade down, i'd expect the first round selection to be CB,S, or WR.

i haven't seen much film on mack so i can't really comment. It be really hard for the lions to pass up CJ,Tate,Watkins and Bush, especially considering that WR has been such a issue. On the other side, defense wins championships, and Mack would play OLB/DE?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#57 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:36 am

LoboGuerrero wrote:

1) WR Evans (TA&M)
3) WR Bryant (Clemson)
4a) *BPA*
4b) *BPA*
4c) QB Thomas (VT)

I think Evans would be there pick if he's there and we stay at 10. But I'm not sure he'll still be on the board at 10.

i don't think evens is a top 10 pick but rather just the 2nd best receiver in a class that has multiple talented receivers. With the signing of tate, i would hope the need for a CB,S,OLB,DE would supersede the need for another WR. Which we could address in the 2nd and 3rd round
LoboGuerrero
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by LoboGuerrero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:18 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
LoboGuerrero wrote:

1) WR Evans (TA&M)
3) WR Bryant (Clemson)
4a) *BPA*
4b) *BPA*
4c) QB Thomas (VT)

i don't think evens is a top 10 pick but rather just the 2nd best receiver in a class that has multiple talented receivers. With the signing of tate, i would hope the need for a CB,S,OLB,DE would supersede the need for another WR. Which we could address in the 2nd and 3rd round

Oh I agree, Evans wouldn't be my pick at 10. Not a big fan of his in general, and I think we can address it later on. If we stay at 10, barring someone other than a QB sliding, my pick would probably be Barr. Then in the second I would hope for Jimmy Ward at safety, but he probably won't last that long. If not him, then Davante Adams at WR. Assuming there's no clear BPA that would trump those two. Then in the third I'd look to address whatever need I hadn't filled, either secondary or WR (again, assuming no clear BPA trump). For the rest of our picks, I'd probably go QB, K, DL in some order.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#59 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:07 am

Lionlifer wrote:
I don't think adding a first round WR counts as depth. If we take one in the third, sure why not, but a first round WR should be a playmaker/starter in the case of Watkins. And if we do go that route, we are then giving 31 million to our number three wideout, which is insanity.

While you do make a valid point, having that many playmakers on the offensive side of the ball is really hard to pass up. The only reaosn why i can see this still happening is because CJ is 29yrs old?, he's going to start to decline. and watkins provides a nice reassurance. Having said that, defense wins championships, and i'd rather trade back if and draft denard and pick up another pick
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#60 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:09 am

ajaX82 wrote:

i disagree, Houston played like sh* last year, and there's no reason to think he'll improve, slay is still unproven and bentley is so inconsistent. CB is definitely still a need for us, but i don't see any CB in the draft worth the 10th pick. I can see LB still being play , and wouldn't be angry about the pick, but i'd much rather trade back at that point

Return to Detroit Lions