ImageImageImageImage

Stanton? WTF?

Moderator: theBigLip

OB- wan
Senior
And1: 3

Stanton? WTF? 

Post#1 » by OB- wan » Tue May 8, 2007 9:37 pm

I hated this pick and I have thought it was a joke that he would ever be in the NFL for 2+ years now. This is totally Millen stupidity at it's finest.

No need to draft a LB or any number of other positions... let's fill the 3rd string QB hole. :roll:

Stanton doesn't even throw a spiral for god sakes. I watched him think he could run over LB's against Michigan 2 years ago till he got injured and I have hated his prospects ever since.

The guy is a complete bust and I think this was the absolute worst pick of the entire draft....hands down.

Now he can rot on the Lions bench for 4 years and move on to back up the Dolphins or Rams or some other team till he eventually retires and buys a car dealership in Lansing and lives off his limited fame in his home state.

PUKE!!!!
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

Post#2 » by ChronicKerr » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 pm

don't worry they'll get henne next year and he'll be the savior
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by PistonFan4Life » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:36 am

Stanton was our 2nd round pick more because of what Martz saw in him than what Millen did. I know Millen is still the GM and has final say over things long before Martz does, but Martz sees potential to get Stantons game to a high enough level to do the things he wants to do. I think Stanton will be an ok QB, but I hope no one holds out hope that he'll be a franchise QB that could get us to the SuperBowl on his own someday. But I also don't think its a terrible pick either, he played on some pretty bad teams at MSU and if you look at his stats he's not exactly terrible and we could've done worse. Given that if Stanton becomes an average QB he has Williams and Johnson for targets to throw to now, which can make any QBs life easier. Lets just give the guy some time to prove himself before we all jump all over him just because of past failures.
OB- wan
Senior

Post#4 » by OB- wan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm not jumping on him for Lions past failures I just think he is not NFL QB material.

I watched a fair amount of State games and I thought he was nothing more than a good collage athlete...not an NFL 2nd round pick. He throws a friggin duck. I have not seen balls wobble like his on any NFL QB.

I love guys with heart but not guys with big hearts and no smarts. Remember him running over U of M linebackers till he broke his shoulder 2 years ago? I don't want a QB like that on my team coz he won't get to do it more than 1 time in the NFL where even the safeties can take his head off.

I have mellowed a little on my distain for this pick just because I hope Martz can get him to throw to "spots" on the field and with the 2 thoroughbreds we have he could make it work but I still don't like this pick when we could have drafted a LB or other position of need and get a potential starter.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#5 » by PistonFan4Life » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:02 pm

OB- wan wrote:I'm not jumping on him for Lions past failures I just think he is not NFL QB material.

I watched a fair amount of State games and I thought he was nothing more than a good collage athlete...not an NFL 2nd round pick. He throws a friggin duck. I have not seen balls wobble like his on any NFL QB.

I love guys with heart but not guys with big hearts and no smarts. Remember him running over U of M linebackers till he broke his shoulder 2 years ago? I don't want a QB like that on my team coz he won't get to do it more than 1 time in the NFL where even the safeties can take his head off.

I have mellowed a little on my distain for this pick just because I hope Martz can get him to throw to "spots" on the field and with the 2 thoroughbreds we have he could make it work but I still don't like this pick when we could have drafted a LB or other position of need and get a potential starter.

I couldn't agree with you more, he's an average QB at best and the only real reasons I am hopeful for him is because of Martz running the offense and also having Williams and Johnson to throw to should make things a lot easier for him. But like I said I couldn't agree more that a 2nd round pick was way too early to grab him, I thought he should've been more along the lines of a 5th round experiment, but another team would've grabbed him in the 2nd if we didn't for some reason. Lets just hope Martz can get the job done and this offense can put up a lot of points because we are certainly going to need it this year.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#6 » by chrbal » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

This teams history with everything else, i'm not to concerned with Drews problems.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#7 » by GJense4181 » Fri Aug 3, 2007 3:21 pm

Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#8 » by Dirtgrain » Sat Aug 4, 2007 12:51 pm

Either O
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#9 » by PistonFan4Life » Sat Aug 4, 2007 2:23 pm

Dirtgrain wrote:Either O
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#10 » by Icness » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:39 am

I knew the Lions really liked O'Sullivan, and after the 1st preseason game I see why.

As for Stanton, they spent the entire summer overhauling his mechanics and teaching him how to throw to spots, coordinate route adjustments, stuff like that. His knee injury was legit, so it's not like this was a straight IR stash, but it's also not something that Marinelli & Co. really mind either.

My thoughts on Stanton haven't changed--he's got enough physcial ability and attributes to be a decent starting QB, but he handles pressure worse than Joey Harrington, and that's not something that ever changes I'm afraid. Very poor draft pick.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#11 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:14 pm

I am the first one to admit that I was excited when the Lions drafted Stanton. Did they have other needs? Yes. Did they need some talent on defense? Yes. The thing I am pissed about is that the Lions screwed the pooch by taking on O'Sullivan. He seems to be a decent QB, but as soon as Stanton got hurt I knew - just knew - they were going to put him on the IR. Millen continues to cover up his drafting mistakes. The Lions now have three QB's that are at or near the same level as far as talent. I have no doubt that the Lions will score 40 points several times this year, but they will give up that many several times more. I really hate this team sometimes...
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#12 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:07 am

I didn't think Stanton was worth a 2nd rounder. But, we will see if over the years he makes a good backup, lol. Does this mean the Lions will carry 4 QB's this year?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Detroit Lions